PDA

View Full Version : L-Fn button on lens

sapper
13th November 2013, 04:53 PM
Exploring my EM-1 ans see there is an L-Fn button on the 12-40mm lens.
Cannot see it mentioned anywhere in the manual, and Oly website is no help.
Anyone know what it is for, probably obvious to most of you.

photo_owl
13th November 2013, 05:00 PM
you can programme it to do just about anything Dave....

David Morison
13th November 2013, 05:10 PM
It is found in the menu under Button function but you will have to have the relevant lens attached or it will be Greyed out.

David

bredman
13th November 2013, 05:28 PM
Doesn't it default to magnify? IIRC

Ann1e
13th November 2013, 05:34 PM
Exploring my EM-1 ans see there is an L-Fn button on the 12-40mm lens.
Cannot see it mentioned anywhere in the manual, and Oly website is no help.
Anyone know what it is for, probably obvious to most of you.

It is mentioned on pages 91 and 99 of the manual.

Regards,
Ann1e

mike_j
13th November 2013, 06:59 PM
I use it to return the focus point to home position but it's pretty much your choice what to do with it.

sapper
14th November 2013, 07:38 AM
Thanks for this info guys.

ian p
14th November 2013, 10:07 AM
There is one on the old 12-50mm f/3.5 kit lens. It can probably do the same things.
http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj524/picrumors/Bildschirmfoto2013-06-22um120418_zps0d1ecd42.png

sapper
14th November 2013, 04:00 PM
OK. So I missed the detail in the manual.
A further question re the F2 button. Can it be set so the AF area is changed from single spot to all targets?
I do find the manual very difficult.

photo_owl
14th November 2013, 04:55 PM
OK. So I missed the detail in the manual.
A further question re the F2 button. Can it be set so the AF area is changed from single spot to all targets?
I do find the manual very difficult.

no and yes

there's no way (that I have established) to directly control the AF area mode

the standard set up uses the Fn1 button as (...) which is code for AF area select. press once then release to use the dials to move the AF area, press once and then add the INFO button....now the front dial cycles the FD options and the rear dial cycles the AF area mode.

the best I can find is to assign another button to (...)HP which will cycle you between the pre-set AF area setting you set in the menu (single CP (s) in my case) and whichever area you are currently using. So if I set it to centre group when I switch on, the button set to (...)HP cycles this with single CP (s). However, what happens when you switch off seems to depend on what you were set to when you switched off ie if doesn't necessarily hold these this way!

Personally I think that there is scope for combining the held (...) with the dials as a direct control, with the option to reverse the dial functions so that you can assign a button and dial to suit your preference. What do others think?