PDA

View Full Version : What Lens For Charity Ball

MattMoore
19th September 2008, 07:43 PM
Evening all,
My girlfriend is hosting a charity ball in a couple of months time to celebrate her 21st birthday, and also to raise money for Great Ormond Street, and Cancer Research.
Everyone is going to be dressed up to the nines, and I would like to get some good photos.
I currently have an e410, 14-42, 40-150 and leica 14-150. I am looking to purchase either a 520 or e3 in the near future, hopefully before the do if funds allow :D
I want to purchase a suitable lens for the event. I am assumign that it will be relatively low light, but not entirely pitch black. Ideally I would like a prime lens, and macro would be handy for some other things I have lined up.
Money isnt too much of an issue within reason, I just want the right lens for the job :D

Cheers all

snaarman
19th September 2008, 07:53 PM
I would guess the "money not a problem" solution would be the E3 and a 12-60mm. From what I hear it is one amazing lens. You get good hi ISO performance and IS and a wide range zoom in a not so compact package.

However, if you are looking for a prime, then the 50mm is excellent but I wouldn't recommend it for low light portraiture though (too slow on AF).

Personally, I would avoid any set up that involves changing lenses under pressure in the dark :)

Pete

Graham_of_Rainham
19th September 2008, 09:23 PM
Think of the subject. Long dresses (the girls will want images of those)
Think of the venue. Crowded, not a lot of room to to get subject distance.
Think of the lighting. You did that already, it will be dark

Has to be the 14-35 f2.0

Wide enough to get the full length of the 6 foot beauties. 70mm (equivalent) will work for portrates (half a step back & crop). The 14-35 f2.0 is as good as you can get and it's not that heavy for a whole evenings work.

Good luck. Don't forget to post the results.

*chr

DerekW
21st September 2008, 03:29 PM
If you buy anything for the event - buy it at least 6 weeks ahead of the event and get used to it and how it works. Also do a practice run in similar lighting conditions.