PDA

View Full Version : Clarification question from a non owner

DerekW
9th November 2013, 09:59 AM
I am reading the posts in a semi disinterested way (I do not need a new camera - I do not go out now etc etc)

But do I gather from some of the posts that the camera has a Digital Zoom feature to multiply the optical focal length of the attached lens?

bilbo
9th November 2013, 10:08 AM
Yes - it increases EFL by 2x in the jpeg. RAW files are unaffected. In other words, it saves a centre crop in the jpeg.

cliff
9th November 2013, 10:21 AM
Short answer - yes
Its a 2x digital teleconverter, in the e-m5 and the e-m1 (and maybe other models)
it works in jpeg, so it would show as a cropped section in a raw file but that cropped section would be saved at 16 mega pix, as an up scaled file in jpeg
sample below - if exif not viable go to gallery and click on camera icon below image to see exif
and yes of course you don't need a new camera ;)

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500//OI000006.jpg (http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=67403)

Brian is much faster at typing than me *chr

Jim Ford
9th November 2013, 10:42 AM
I am reading the posts in a semi disinterested way (I do not need a new camera - I do not go out now etc etc)

Good to see the proper use of 'disinterested'. There's so many people use it incorrectly, I guess because they feel it makes them appear erudite!

Jim

DerekW
9th November 2013, 10:56 AM
Thank you very much, I can sleep easy again - as I do RAW, I already have this feature in my E5 <g>

I suppose "semi disinterested" and "semi interested" have the same value but are based on the direction one us approaching the subject in.

David M
9th November 2013, 12:25 PM
I was reading some of the threads about the new camera for amusement but I'm bored now.

Jim Ford
9th November 2013, 12:51 PM
I suppose "semi disinterested" and "semi interested" have the same value but are based on the direction one us approaching the subject in.

Yes, I think so in this case, but it's often the case that someone can be simultaneously disinterested yet interested in a situation or alternatively have an interest and yet be uninterested in a situation!

I suspect yours is the first case - you don't intend to get an EM-1, so have no interest (involvement or intended involvement) in the camera, so you are asking the question in a disinterested way out of interest!

The second case would be where you own or intend to own (have an interest/involvement in) the camera, yet couldn't care less whether it has a digital converter or not (are uninterested) - in which case you wouldn't have asked the question in the first place!

;^)

Jim