PDA

View Full Version : HELP! L Bracket

IainMacD
7th November 2013, 10:03 PM
I was out and about at the weekend with a local Flickr group and one of the guys had his rather large Canon on an L bracket and it looked like a handy bit of kit for switching between landscape and portrait while keeping the weight of the camera and lens over the tripod.
I have since started looking into these for the E-5 and wondered if anyone here has one or has used one and can advise if they are worthwhile or not?
An E5 specific bracket seems a little hard to find unless shipped from the US so the universal brackets might be the way to go?

David M
7th November 2013, 11:26 PM
I had one for my E-1 but sold it with the camera and haven't bothered with one since. The extra weight and bulk outweighed the benefit of not having flip the tripod head for me.

Gwyver
8th November 2013, 04:36 PM
Iain,
I have a ReallyRightStuff L-plate for my E-3. The part number is BOE3-L. I looked on the RRS website but it's no longer listed.

If you can establish whether this would also fit an E-5 (maybe an email to RRS?) and it is of interest please let me know - because it is just not getting much use these days.

Imageryone
8th November 2013, 05:16 PM
Manfrotto make one for their heads, Part No RC4 [ dependent on head , they have others ], Iain.
This is the one I have, and if you are using a tripod all the time, very, very useful indeed, although it is quite heavy.

Jetset95
8th November 2013, 05:37 PM
I've searched for this as well for the E-M5 and the only place I found was RRS in the US at exorbitant prices. I shoot a lot of landscapes and jumping between portrait and lnandscape more often than I ever thought I would. An L plate would be very useful, but not £200 worth.

IainMacD
8th November 2013, 09:16 PM
I have looked at the RRS version (very expensive) which does seem to be suited to the E-5 but are no longer made.
Chris, if you want to pm me regarding a price I will give it some thought.

David M
10th November 2013, 11:59 AM
I did find an L bracket useful for close ups. Shooting for publication I'd always try to shoot landscape and portrait versions. Flipping the camera on an L bracket required much less reframing.