PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning EM1sensor

ozzie
6th November 2013, 09:40 PM
I do not have to do this yet however I am sure I will have to at some time.
Is there a problem wet cleaning the EM5/1 sensor have done this on the E1/3/5 with no problems just a bit worried about the new IS system
Thanks in advance
John

Zuiko
6th November 2013, 11:36 PM
This has been raised before but I don't think we got a definitive answer. Has anyone had to clean an E-M5 sensor yet?

G2EWS
7th November 2013, 06:52 AM
I clean or should I say used to clean my D3X sensor after every use. The D3S on a regular basis.

But the EM5 never needed cleaning!

I cannot imagine it would be that difficult, but yes, I agree it would be useful to get a definitive answer to the question.

Best regards

Chris

G2EWS
7th November 2013, 06:59 AM
Need to add very quickly having done a search that everything I am finding suggests that users should NOT clean the sensor themselves.

We really do need to confirm if this is true and why.

Someone, got more time than me to carry on searching the interweb?

Or Ian, have you any information from Olympus?

Regards

Chris

Westy
7th November 2013, 07:00 AM
I cleaned my EM-5 sensor shortly after getting my camera, had dust or oil smear in one corner. It was easy enough to do although I do have a gental touch. Have read since though that the sensor on the EM-5 has an anti static coating on, that when Olympus sensor clean they replace this coating. Although I had no more issues with my EM-5 after cleaning.

Grumpy Hec
7th November 2013, 08:08 AM
A supplementary question.

On my E3 , indeed on my E520 when I had it, the sensor does a quick boogie on switch off which I always assumed was the cleaning.

On the EM-1 I have not noticed that. Is that because its higher frequency or maybe just quieter? Hope it's actually working!

Hec

OlyPaul
7th November 2013, 08:52 AM
Perhaps this may make you feel better about your delicate E-M1/5.;)

http://lightroom-blog.com/2013/04/14/the-one-and-om-d-2/

And by the way most sensor cleaning fluids are designed for use on sensors with anti static coatings.

Zuiko
7th November 2013, 09:02 AM
A supplementary question.

On my E3 , indeed on my E520 when I had it, the sensor does a quick boogie on switch off which I always assumed was the cleaning.

On the EM-1 I have not noticed that. Is that because its higher frequency or maybe just quieter? Hope it's actually working!

Hec

When the E-3/520 does a boogie upon switching off that is the sensor parking because IS has been left on. The sensor clean on all Olympus cameras happens upon switch on and is silent, but some models have a small indicator light that momentarily flashes.

Wally
7th November 2013, 03:28 PM
Found this from the previous thread which should help

Olympus information re. OM-D sensor cleaning

The sensor should not be cleaned by a user for two very important reasons:

1: When the camera is turned off the sensor is loose. When powered on, the sensor is suspended in a magnetic field to enable the five-axis image stabilization.

2: If the sensor is cleaned by a user using a swab, the anti-static coating on the sensor is wiped off. Our repair technicians replace the coating when they perform this service.

Cleaning is not mentioned in the manual because from the beginning of our DSLR / PEN / OMD program we have employed a Supersonic Wave Filter to shake dust off of our sensors, a feature other digital camera manufacturers have neglected to employ.

Now you know...

G2EWS
7th November 2013, 03:46 PM
Found the same Wally, which is why I changed my mind after posting about cleaning sensors.

Good idea to share on this thread.

Still wonder what the 'experts' think.

Regards

Chris

Imageryone
7th November 2013, 03:57 PM
My E-1 now shows 97,867 actuations and the sensor has never been cleaned :)

Nuff said ? :):)

Wally
7th November 2013, 07:28 PM
This is the original thread link (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28178&highlight=sensor+cleaning)

ozzie
7th November 2013, 08:00 PM
Cleaning is not mentioned in the manual because from the beginning of our DSLR / PEN / OMD program we have employed a Supersonic Wave Filter to shake dust off of our sensors, a feature other digital camera manufacturers have neglected to employ.
I personally have found that with the E1/3/5 cleaning from time to time a must.
This I have put down to the environment in which I shoot dusty hot days then the camera is inside at night with air conditioning going. My thoughts are that dust that would normally be easily taken care of with the camera cleaning system gets stuck with slight condensation on the sensor from the air conditioning . This has resulted in wet cleaning needed about once or twice a year which I have done successfully .
Sending cameras in for service for me is a two week turnaround at best so being able to self clean is preferable will call olympus and ask for a solution .
Cheers
John

pdk42
7th November 2013, 08:33 PM
I've cleaned the sensors on both my E-Pl5 and E-M5. I posted about it on mu-43 here (post 24) - http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=45596. Maybe I got lucky, but I haven't seen any negative effects (and I'm very picky about image imperfections). Moreover, I've not cleaned them since so if there's any issue with anti static coatings it certainly hasn't been an issue for me.

Zuiko
8th November 2013, 09:41 AM
I personally have found that with the E1/3/5 cleaning from time to time a must.
This I have put down to the environment in which I shoot dusty hot days then the camera is inside at night with air conditioning going. My thoughts are that dust that would normally be easily taken care of with the camera cleaning system gets stuck with slight condensation on the sensor from the air conditioning . This has resulted in wet cleaning needed about once or twice a year which I have done successfully .
Sending cameras in for service for me is a two week turnaround at best so being able to self clean is preferable will call olympus and ask for a solution .
Cheers
John

Your shooting environment does sound a bit challenging. One slight improvement you might make (if you don't do it already) would be to adopt the habit of turning the camera off, on and off again at the end of a day shooting. The sensor clean only activates when the camera is switched on and doing this would prevent dust from sitting on the sensor overnight, when it might become more adhesive due to the condensation.

ozzie
8th November 2013, 08:54 PM
Thanks John
Never thought of that ,will definitely try that sounds like a solution for me.
Cheers
John*chr