PDA

View Full Version : Fear of God

giorgosmit
17th September 2008, 08:07 PM
Oh well, I'm really gonna stick my neck out with this one:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3003/2866337064_778c316063_o.jpg

This was taken within the Duomo, the Grand Cathedral of Milan. For those of you who don't know, that building cannot be characterised Gothic, because the understatment is similar to saying that Queen Victoria is a boat. The whole Cathedral is designed to put the fear of God in you- and it certainly fullfils that purpose. One of the more gruesome pieces of the decor is that statue of a Catholic saint that, according to tradition, was flayed alive. And the artist made it explicitly clear.

The photo itself is... well, technically awfull. Underexposed, unsharp, crooked, and so on. That was because I had to take it as sneakily as possible, what with leering Italian custodians not 5 meters away from me. However, I actually thing that this grity feel suits the photo.

Zuiko
17th September 2008, 08:11 PM
Good grief, that's harrowing! You did at least, despite the security guards, get a dynamic angle on this! I'd love to see the whole cathedral! :)

giorgosmit
17th September 2008, 08:15 PM
John, you should have seen that thing, in the flesh, as it is. I have quite many shots of the cathedral which I am processing now, I will probably post them later. That church was the only place in which I felt my 11-22 was too narrow!

Zuiko
17th September 2008, 08:49 PM
John, you should have seen that thing, in the flesh, as it is. I have quite many shots of the cathedral which I am processing now, I will probably post them later. That church was the only place in which I felt my 11-22 was too narrow!

Great! I'd love to see more of that building! :)

Barr1e
17th September 2008, 08:56 PM
Great! I'd love to see more of that building! :)

Me too. I need a reminder.

Regards. Barr1e

PeterD
17th September 2008, 09:08 PM
giorgosmit

Thats some shot and what a frightening background.:eek:

Peter

Ellie
17th September 2008, 10:25 PM
:confused: Not quite sure what's happened. I'm not using my computer because I'm not at home, but I can't see a picture.

giorgosmit
17th September 2008, 10:35 PM
Strange, I also opened the thread in another computer and it works fine. Maybe there is a network setup problem at your end?

ndl0071
18th September 2008, 07:10 AM
As you say not technically perfect by any means, but it does work for me especially in mono.

Thanks for posting.

Neil

Ellie
19th September 2008, 10:46 PM
:) I can see it now. Absolutely no idea what might be wrong with the other person's computer.

You're right about the statue it is gruesome, not something to look at and get some nice comfy thoughts. What a way to go too, horrid. Looks like the live view helped you get the picture though.

giorgosmit
20th September 2008, 06:52 AM
Hi Ellie. Yes, that statue definitely makes one's skin crawl- I believe that was its purpose, knowing what masters of intimidation thc various ckurches are.

And, strange as it may seem, I did not use LV for that one. I wanted to be as discreet as possible, so I simply held the camera one- handed by the grip, pointed the lens at the general direction of the statue and fired off a couple of frames. Thank goodness the guards were apparently busy glaring at everybody and did not hear the shots.