PDA

View Full Version : Silly Question Number One

Grumpy Hec
6th November 2013, 03:40 PM
Silly question time which probably just exposes my muppetry.

Having just got my EM1 I have been doing the basic setup to meet my way of working. Or at least the way I did things pre new camera which could change of course. One thing I cannot not figure out yet is how to get the selected focus point displayed when you are actually framing the shot.

No problem selecting the point it's just the part having it in the display when actually shooting so that I can precisely position the single point on what I want to focus on when using AF or MF via back button focusing. This is the way I like to work.

I'm sure it's in there somewhere just haven't got to it yet and I'm hoping someone can save me some time looking. I guess I'm just lazy ;)

Hec

Ian
6th November 2013, 03:44 PM
Have you tried pressing the INFO button to cycle through the different display configurations?

Ian

Shaw
6th November 2013, 04:07 PM
In the viewfinder, you press any of the four arrows around the 'OK' button.

Olybirder
6th November 2013, 04:10 PM
If nothing else works you could try: Menu - Cog A (AF/MF) - AF Area Pointer and check that it is set to 'On'. Page 91 of the handbook.

Ron

Grumpy Hec
6th November 2013, 04:18 PM
Thanks guys. I'll fiddle about when I get home from work. Bound to be stupidity on my part :(

photo_owl
6th November 2013, 05:46 PM
Thanks guys. I'll fiddle about when I get home from work. Bound to be stupidity on my part :(

*chr

if you have come straight from an E it won't be as intuitive!

go to the AF info screen however you normally do - then press the INFO button and the tiny tiny bit at the bottom left of the screen lights up and you can cycle between the options with the buttons around the OK button; all points, group, single, single(s)

Grumpy Hec
7th November 2013, 07:33 AM
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

In the rather short time I had available last night I made no positive progress to achieving my goal of having the AF target permanently displayed in the EVF when composing the shot.

I can set up groups, single, position and size of AF target etc. all with no problem. However at the moment the only time the target is visible is a) when setting up the position/type/size and b) when actually in the act of focusing. I cannot position the actual target over my chosen point before either depressing the shutter or, as I prefer to do, using back button focusing.

Perhaps it is not a facility on the EM-1 and I'm searching for something that is not there. If that is the case that's a negative mark against the camera from my purely personal point of view as that's the way I feel most comfortable working. I will have to amend the way I work.

Hec

StephenL
7th November 2013, 07:46 AM
Oh, it's always there. As it was present from unboxing I'm not sure how it's achieved. Except cycling through using the Info button, as has already been suggested.

Grumpy Hec
7th November 2013, 08:05 AM
Oh, it's always there. As it was present from unboxing I'm not sure how it's achieved. Except cycling through using the Info button, as has already been suggested.

Thanks for confirming that it is possible Stephen. At least I know that it's just a case of finding the magic combination to turn it on.

Hec

StephenL
7th November 2013, 08:32 AM
Found a way to set it. If you set a button to "magnify" the first press of that button will display the focus point. A second press magnifies. Hope this helps.

(It must be something I had set when first configuring the thing, then forgot about!)

Grumpy Hec
7th November 2013, 09:37 AM
Found a way to set it. If you set a button to "magnify" the first press of that button will display the focus point. A second press magnifies. Hope this helps.

(It must be something I had set when first configuring the thing, then forgot about!)

You are a star

I'll try that this evening

Thanks Stephen. *chr

Hec

Ross the fiddler
7th November 2013, 10:06 AM

That part would be the same on the E-M5 that I can tell (with Fn2 set on Magnify) & I usually use the touch screen for that (selecting the position where-ever I want it), but the Magnify button is ideal to show it if using the EVF.

Olybirder
7th November 2013, 10:14 AM
I have just tried Stephen's suggestion and it does work. The first press shows the green AF frame, which can be nudged about using the arrow keys. The second press zooms in on the magnified area. Pressing 'info' allows the size of the AF area to be changed with the dial.

I have 'magnify' set to the Fn2 (multifunction) button. However, at the moment I can't scroll through the multifunction menus when I hold the button down. All it does is change the EV or Aperture setting. I don't know what I am doing wrong but it worked before. :confused:

Edit. After a bit of experimenting, it seems that the selected function sticks until the camera is turned off and back on again, whereupon I am able to scroll through the menus using the back dial as usual.

Ron

deckitout
7th November 2013, 11:52 AM
Either set up one of your Fn buttons to AF (…) or select it in the SCP. My FN 1 was like this from the box

If you then press info it shows two yellow icons, this allows you to cycle between the focus screen options by pressing the up/down arrow there are 4 choices, I chose the 81 point which gives the option of small focus point which I prefer.

dogsbody
7th November 2013, 07:30 PM
Just a quick line to say thank you, this thread has provided a bounty of information. But will I remember it when I need it? D'OH!

dogsbody
7th November 2013, 07:46 PM
I have just tried Stephen's suggestion and it does work. The first press shows the green AF frame, which can be nudged about using the arrow keys. The second press zooms in on the magnified area. Pressing 'info' allows the size of the AF area to be changed with the dial.

I have 'magnify' set to the Fn2 (multifunction) button. However, at the moment I can't scroll through the multifunction menus when I hold the button down. All it does is change the EV or Aperture setting. I don't know what I am doing wrong but it worked before. :confused:

Edit. After a bit of experimenting, it seems that the selected function sticks until the camera is turned off and back on again, whereupon I am able to scroll through the menus using the back dial as usual.

Ron

when I hold down Fn2 button, that seems to reset it.

Grumpy Hec
8th November 2013, 07:51 AM

Ron

Woks as described but still not exactly what I was after as it's all about the magnify function rather than simply showing whatever AF point choice you have made to enable positioning of the point over the appropriate area.

I suspect that is simply not there as an option which does seem odd.

Thanks for the help and suggestions though everybody.

Hec

StephenL
8th November 2013, 08:27 AM
Must confess that in that case I'm unsure what you're looking for. My method, using Fn1, allows the focus point to be displayed (green box), moved using the arrows, and resized via the info button. It magnifies only after pressing Fn1 again. It can be switched off after holding the Fn1 button for more than 1 second (which may answer Ron's question?).

brian1208
8th November 2013, 08:37 AM
I've assigned this magnify function to the Depth of Field preview button on the front as I find it easier to reach than the fn1 button when I have the EVF to my eye .

Seems to work very well

Thanks for the tip about holding the button for a 1 sec+ to disengage the function Stephen, I hadn't spotted that

Grumpy Hec
8th November 2013, 09:19 AM
Must confess that in that case I'm unsure what you're looking for. My method, using Fn1, allows the focus point to be displayed (green box), moved using the arrows, and resized via the info button. It magnifies only after pressing Fn1 again. It can be switched off after holding the Fn1 button for more than 1 second (which may answer Ron's question?).

Mmmm - maybe I've got this wrong because that sounds good. I'll hopefully have a little more time this evening to have a more thorough investigation. I suspect highly developed muppetry on my part.

Hec

StephenL
8th November 2013, 09:20 AM
I've assigned this magnify function to the Depth of Field preview button on the front as I find it easier to reach than the fn1 button when I have the EVF to my eye .

Seems to work very well

Thanks for the tip about holding the button for a 1 sec+ to disengage the function Stephen, I hadn't spotted that
I've not seen it documented (though it may well be!). I just discovered it by accident!

Olybirder
8th November 2013, 09:30 AM
when I hold down Fn2 button, that seems to reset it.
Thanks Dogsbody. That does the trick. *chr

There are quite a few features on the E-M1 which are not documented in the manual. We desperately need a sticky thread to post useful tips like this for future reference.

Ron

StephenL
8th November 2013, 09:32 AM
There are quite a few features on the E-M1 which are not documented in the manual. We desperately need a sticky thread to post useful tips like this for future reference.

Ron
Or, we could perhaps set up a tips section in the Wiki on Four Thirds and put them into there? Perhaps Ian could advise on the best way to do this?

StephenL
8th November 2013, 04:38 PM
I've just put this "tip" on the FourThirds Wiki http://www.fourthirds-user.com/wiki2/index.php/Tips_%26_Tricks

Feel free to register and add to it.