PDA

View Full Version : Doh!

Bikie John
4th November 2013, 08:11 PM
I am rather annoyed - mostly with myself and a teeny bit with Olympus.

The E-M1 arrived with the lovely 12-40 lens on Thursday. The good chaps at LCE lent me their demo MMF-3 4/3rds adapter, I was on rugby duty on Saturday and thought I would try it. (I have the Panasonic equivalent but it's not weathersealed and the forecast was for "traditional" rugby weather.)

I decided it was a day for the 90-250, tried it with the adapter and all was well. It came up as manual focus only first time round, but I reseated the lens and adapter and it was fine. So off I trotted, plan was to shoot the first half on the E-5 so as to get shots in the bank, then switch to the E-M1 at half time and hope to take advantage of the better high ISO performance as the light fades fast.

I got called upon to do a couple of mugshots before the game so I popped the 12-40 onto the E-M1 and found it would only focus manually. A bit of crud, I thought, dismounted the lens and tried again. And again. No joy. By this time I was chewing the carpet in frustration and it was time to get out to the pitch. I couldn't afford to waste time fannying about once the game was under way (rugby players at our humble level only have a few minutes for half-time) so I abandoned the plan to use the 90-250 on the E-M1.

If you've seen jamsa's thread you have probably twigged what happened. The 12-40 has what I think Oly refer to as "snap focus" - you can move the focussing ring forwards and backwards, and in one position it shows a distance scale and will only focus manually. And guess what - I had accidentally moved the ring into the snap focus position. I wasn't expecting this, so I wasn't looking for it, and thought that a real problem had come up.

Classic case of user dingbattery, hence the annoyance at myself. It's no use telling me to RTFM though, as there isn't one for the lens. You might get one if you buy it separately, there might be one available for download, but there wasn't one in the box. I would have read it if it were there, honest guv. Hence the small piece of annoyance at Oly.

I hope this cautionary tale will stop anyone else making the same mistake.

Ciao ... slightly embarrassed John

jamsa
4th November 2013, 08:23 PM
There is nothing on the lens to indicate the snap change and I would never force a lens ring after learning a lesson years ago with a canon lens...so read the manual and found out the square route of F'all . so relieved but we all know now...:)

I am rather annoyed - mostly with myself and a teeny bit with Olympus.

The E-M1 arrived with the lovely 12-40 lens on Thursday. The good chaps at LCE lent me their demo MMF-3 4/3rds adapter, I was on rugby duty on Saturday and thought I would try it. (I have the Panasonic equivalent but it's not weathersealed and the forecast was for "traditional" rugby weather.)

I decided it was a day for the 90-250, tried it with the adapter and all was well. It came up as manual focus only first time round, but I reseated the lens and adapter and it was fine. So off I trotted, plan was to shoot the first half on the E-5 so as to get shots in the bank, then switch to the E-M1 at half time and hope to take advantage of the better high ISO performance as the light fades fast.

I got called upon to do a couple of mugshots before the game so I popped the 12-40 onto the E-M1 and found it would only focus manually. A bit of crud, I thought, dismounted the lens and tried again. And again. No joy. By this time I was chewing the carpet in frustration and it was time to get out to the pitch. I couldn't afford to waste time fannying about once the game was under way (rugby players at our humble level only have a few minutes for half-time) so I abandoned the plan to use the 90-250 on the E-M1.

If you've seen jamsa's thread you have probably twigged what happened. The 12-40 has what I think Oly refer to as "snap focus" - you can move the focussing ring forwards and backwards, and in one position it shows a distance scale and will only focus manually. And guess what - I had accidentally moved the ring into the snap focus position. I wasn't expecting this, so I wasn't looking for it, and thought that a real problem had come up.

Classic case of user dingbattery, hence the annoyance at myself. It's no use telling me to RTFM though, as there isn't one for the lens. You might get one if you buy it separately, there might be one available for download, but there wasn't one in the box. I would have read it if it were there, honest guv. Hence the small piece of annoyance at Oly.

I hope this cautionary tale will stop anyone else making the same mistake.

Ciao ... slightly embarrassed John

birdboy
4th November 2013, 09:07 PM
I feel for you. Not sure if that snap ring it is a good or bad thing. I prefer changing the preview button to switch between MF and S-AF/C-AF as I did with the E5.

But like all new things it takes time to feel comfortable.

StephenL
4th November 2013, 09:21 PM
The good thing about the snap focus ring is that it provides a decent distance scale.