PDA

View Full Version : EM1 arrived with the 12-40 BUT....

jamsa
4th November 2013, 07:49 PM
The delivery arrived today and I was persuaded to take the original 12-40 kit...however, my 12-50 works fine, my 75-300 works fine but the brand new 12-40 is manual focus only!! don't know why or if I am not doing something but having read the manual and tried the other lenses something is likely to be wrong with the 12-40!!

andym
4th November 2013, 07:53 PM
I haven't got this lens but seem to remember something about a MF click ring on the barrel when I saw one in London.

Bikie John
4th November 2013, 07:56 PM
Ah, it's fooled you as well.

It has what I think Oly call "snap focus". You can slide the focus ring backwards and forwards. In one position it will autofocus, in the other it is manual only and shows you a distance scale. I hope this is your problem rather than a broken lens.

Ciao ... John

jamsa
4th November 2013, 07:56 PM
I haven't got this lens but seem to remember something about a MF click ring on the barrel when I saw one in London.

Yes how stupid of me you are right, nothing on the lens to remind me of that and nothing in the main manual hoorah..and phew...

catkins
4th November 2013, 08:08 PM
Yes how stupid of me you are right, nothing on the lens to remind me of that and nothing in the main manual hoorah..and phew...

After all that you've been going through in the long wait, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry . . . so pleased that the issue has been quickly solved for you and I hope that you're soon able to regale us with some of the highlights of your new kit!
Hopefully this also means that the rest of us can soon start delving into the joys of hidden menus *chr

Regards
Chris

bilbo
4th November 2013, 09:00 PM
So all we need now is to see some pix. :)

WilsonLaidlaw
29th November 2013, 08:11 AM
Jamsa,

I would be very interested to hear how you feel the 12-40/2.8 compares with the 12-50 in image quality. I am thinking of getting the 12-40 for my EP-5 but as it is a lot bigger and heavier than the 12-50, this slightly negates the purpose of the EP-5 as a smaller, lighter and less valuable back up camera. This is for those situations when I feel that one of my Leica M cameras would be too big, heavy or valuable.

If you felt that the 12-40 was a different world to the 12-50, I might consider it. I bought the 12-50 when I was using an EP-2 to replace a Mk1 14-42. I was a little disappointed in the performance of the 12-50, which only seemed little if any better than the kit lens. However it works far better with the EP-5, where I assume in-camera correction of the barrel and pincushion distortion is a lot better than the EP-2 and the lens seems to match the sensor very well. I donít really need the speed of the 12-40 so much, as I have plenty of fast Leica glass, which I can use either on my Mís or with an adapter on the EP-5.

Wilson

photo_owl
29th November 2013, 09:29 AM
Jamsa,

I would be very interested to hear how you feel the 12-40/2.8 compares with the 12-50 in image quality. I am thinking of getting the 12-40 for my EP-5 but as it is a lot bigger and heavier than the 12-50, this slightly negates the purpose of the EP-5 as a smaller, lighter and less valuable back up camera. This is for those situations when I feel that one of my Leica M cameras would be too big, heavy or valuable.

If you felt that the 12-40 was a different world to the 12-50, I might consider it. I bought the 12-50 when I was using an EP-2 to replace a Mk1 14-42. I was a little disappointed in the performance of the 12-50, which only seemed little if any better than the kit lens. However it works far better with the EP-5, where I assume in-camera correction of the barrel and pincushion distortion is a lot better than the EP-2 and the lens seems to match the sensor very well. I donít really need the speed of the 12-40 so much, as I have plenty of fast Leica glass, which I can use either on my Mís or with an adapter on the EP-5.

Wilson

welcome to the forum

it's sharper, better contrast, excellent clarity, faster - heavier and more expensive and shorter at the long end without the same close up capability.......

within all that so much will depend on your requirements, and judgements

it's fairly straight forward to put the possible lenses in this range into a simple IQ list (which co-incidentially seems to match cost when I look at it again)

14-42
12-50
14-54 (43)
12-60 (43)
12-40
14-35 (43)

accurate quantitive assessments I leave to labs :)

you would seem to have sufficient experience of 'glass' to be able to draw your own conclusions - you might consider Ian's hire facility (when he has a 12-40 again) to make your own evaluations over a weekend.

WilsonLaidlaw
29th November 2013, 10:06 AM
Photo-Owl,

Many thanks for that information. I will contact Ian and ask him to advise when he has a 12-40 in stock. Excellent suggestion to try before I buy.

Wilson

David Morison
29th November 2013, 11:41 AM
Yes, a number of Tokina lenses have this function and I think it's brilliant, you don't need to go to a menu or take your eye from the VF to go to MF and then find the focus ring. However on the EM1 I have the lever function set to MF for all modes in position 2 and the AEL button assigned to FP, so everything I need is available with my right thumb.

David

Alpha1
29th November 2013, 11:45 AM
Photo-Owl,

Many thanks for that information. I will contact Ian and ask him to advise when he has a 12-40 in stock. Excellent suggestion to try before I buy.

Wilson

We have often exchanged posts on the LUF, so another big welcome to this forum. You will find us well behaved and incredibly helpful here!

StephenL
29th November 2013, 11:51 AM
Just a thought, but the Panasonic 12-35 is a little more compact, I believe, and the IQ is reported very similar.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

WilsonLaidlaw
29th November 2013, 12:16 PM
Just a thought, but the Panasonic 12-35 is a little more compact, I believe, and the IQ is reported very similar.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

The problem with the Pana 12-35 lens is that I would be losing another 10mm EFOV from the long end compared with the Olympus 12-40 and also paying for OIS, which I would not be using. I agree that it is about 10% shorter and 20% lighter. Pricing is pretty similar to the Oly 12-40.

Wilson

StephenL
29th November 2013, 12:21 PM
Certainly agree with you about the loss of focal length. The IS could be of benefit if you ever got a Panasonic body. Price-wise, there are more used 12-35s on the market than 12-40s. BUT if the 12-40 had been around when I was in the market, I too would probably have plumped for the 12-40. After all, it IS Olympus glass!

ayewing
29th November 2013, 05:53 PM
Hello Wilson,
Nice to see old friends from the LUF over here. Welcome.

As regards your question, I had the 12-50 with my OM-D E-M5 but never liked it much apart from its useful macro capabilities. Although light it is fairly long, manual focus had a rather gritty feel and I was never really comfortable handling it.

I changed it for a Panasonic 12-35 which I liked very much both for its optical qualities and its handling. I recently upgraded to the E-M1 + 12-40 being tempted by the discount when the lens was bought as a package. My experience of the new setup is fairly brief but my first impressions are very favourable. I like the longer FL and although it is larger and heavier than the Panasonic it matches the E-M1 well as it is a little bigger and heavier than the E-M5. The optical quality is so good that it makes primes redundant in its range unless you need a wider aperture than f2.8.

WilsonLaidlaw
29th November 2013, 06:37 PM
I have heard back from Ian and I am on his waiting list for a hire, after they get the 12-40 lens in stock. I am a bit concerned that it will seem rather heavy on the quite small EP-5. This is where the very low weight of the 12-50 pays off, although it does make the lens feel rather flimsy.

Wilson