PDA

View Full Version : E-M1 spotted in the wild at Whitby Goth weekend

catkins
4th November 2013, 09:48 AM
Well, the light is closing in, Christmas fast approaching, and the anticipation of a parcel arriving soon is creating the mere hint of perspiration on a furrowed brow!
So it was good to see my first OMD E-M1 in the wild, during my photo day at Whitby Goth weekend yesterday and, despite the visual distractions all around, to have a chat with its proud owner. Bought through Panamoz I believe with the 12-40mm lens, he certainly seemed impressed by the camera after his first few days with it.
Hopefully, once I realised that he hadn't explored e-group uk, he will soon also explore the delights of this Forum and discover or add to the wealth of owner's experiences. So 'welcome' if you do get to join the e-group Forum.
In the meantime, thanks to the various postings, I have my printed manual to hand and a pile of batteries due to be delivered today and, hopefully soon, the cause of my recent indebtedness!
Regards
Chris

Zuiko
4th November 2013, 10:01 AM
Any pics of the goth weekend? That's an event I'd love to attend. :)

catkins
4th November 2013, 01:42 PM

Yes, in the process of editing and will post a link here once uploaded later in the day.

It was a beautiful day on Sunday, sunny and dry, in total contrast to a very wet and windy Saturday! Plenty of photo opportunities but very difficult to find an unusual or totally different type of image!

Regards
Chris

catkins
4th November 2013, 09:29 PM

I've now uploaded a number of photos to Foto Fair so hope you feel inspired to make a trip to Whitby for the next Spring or Autumn events!!
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29966

Regards
Chris

jonand
5th November 2013, 08:39 AM
Well, the light is closing in, Christmas fast approaching, and the anticipation of a parcel arriving soon is creating the mere hint of perspiration on a furrowed brow!
So it was good to see my first OMD E-M1 in the wild, during my photo day at Whitby Goth weekend yesterday and, despite the visual distractions all around, to have a chat with its proud owner. Bought through Panamoz I believe with the 12-40mm lens, he certainly seemed impressed by the camera after his first few days with it.
Hopefully, once I realised that he hadn't explored e-group uk, he will soon also explore the delights of this Forum and discover or add to the wealth of owner's experiences. So 'welcome' if you do get to join the e-group Forum.
In the meantime, thanks to the various postings, I have my printed manual to hand and a pile of batteries due to be delivered today and, hopefully soon, the cause of my recent indebtedness!
Regards
Chris

Good morning Chris - Thanks for the heads up at Whitby, and I have indeed joined the group. Great weekend at Whitby but still need to analyse the results - which also meant that I had to upgrade my Lightroom software to v5.2 as v4 did not support the e-m1 (was fine with the e-m5 tho) :mad:
Very different handling to the e-m5, which will take some getting used to - particularly as I'm still using the e-m5 - still who knows if the e-m1 proves its worth I may even end up with 2 ;)
Regards
Jon

Iansky
5th November 2013, 10:30 AM
Welcome Jon and I am also looking forward to seeing your results.

I also have the EM1 and if you have not yet tried it, it is definately worth trying the Olympus Viewer 3 and using that as I personally find I have slightly less "grainy" results from OV3 than from Lightroom.

I did convert all my EM5 images using OV3 and very pleased with results so expect it to be just as good with EM1 files.

It can be a little time consuming if batch editing and exporting a batch as 16bit Tiffs but the end justifies the means.

catkins
5th November 2013, 04:32 PM
Good morning Chris - Thanks for the heads up at Whitby, and I have indeed joined the group. Great weekend at Whitby but still need to analyse the results - which also meant that I had to upgrade my Lightroom software to v5.2 as v4 did not support the e-m1 (was fine with the e-m5 tho) :mad:
Very different handling to the e-m5, which will take some getting used to - particularly as I'm still using the e-m5 - still who knows if the e-m1 proves its worth I may even end up with 2 ;)
Regards
Jon

Hi Jon, great to see that you decided to look by the Forum and hope that you find lots of interest, especially as everyone tries to work out the complexities of the new E-M1
The last week or so would have been a great time for the new E-M1 in my photographic calendar (i.e. salmon jumping the local weir, fireworks, and big canoeing event) and Whitby was one of the places that I would have liked to have used as a test and comparison to my last visit. So hopefully we'll get to see some of your photos and hear a bit more about your early experiences with it.
Interestingly, with your mention of Lightroom, I recently upgraded to ACDsee Pro 7 and have been really pleased with its expansion of the 'Develop Brush' in RAW developing - so it meant that I could paint in areas of additional blur, sharpening, light/dark, etc. that helped give a degree of separation between the Goths and some of the rather more obtrusive backgrounds. So far, I've only had fairly rough and ready edits using this, but what a great idea for use within RAW developing. I presume that ACDsee Pro 7 picked up the idea from Lightroom or some other similar product?

Anyhow, good to see you at Whitby and hope that enjoy this Forum and more especially the E-M1 as you start to test out its features.

Regards
Chris