PDA

View Full Version : iQ etc

magicaxeman
2nd November 2013, 04:07 PM
I'm currently using the X-Pro1 for portraits & still life but want to get another CSC to cover longer focal lengths as I just cant manage the weight of the Fuji 50-200mm.

So I've been looking at the EM1 and the 50-200 SWD, the lens is small enough that it can be left permanently mounted on the gimbal head thats mounted to my bed (I'm severely disabled) ready to shoot the birds outside my window and of course I can safely hand hold it with smaller lenses from the range.

This is the sort of shot I'm used to taking (taken with my old canon rig through double glazing) so its the kind of iQ/performance I'm looking for.

The question is do you think the EM1 and that lens will live up to my expectations?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/magicaxeman/Birds/YHSB16.jpg

My bed rig ( now with gimbal head added)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/magicaxeman/for%20posting/bedclamp1.jpg

tomphotofx
2nd November 2013, 04:30 PM
Hi Magicaxeman,

Love the look of your bed rig, I think you will be very impressed with the Image Quality fro the EM1 + 50-200mm in terms of size and weight consider the m4/3 75-300mm as an alternative to the 50-200mm it's smaller, lighter and cheaper plus the IQ is superb. I am not an EM1 owner yet waiting for the delivery van to turn up some time this month, I use an EM-5 as well as an E3 and use both of the above mentioned lenses.

Take a look in my gallery page at the Birds of Prey for some examples.

You might want to consider a wireless remote control as an addition to your setup especially if you get the EM1 as there is an app for smart phones that will remote shoot your camera plus it's free too.

Tom:)

jamsa
2nd November 2013, 04:36 PM
Is a bridge camera with longer zoom not easier for you to handle? there are some corkers out there with lots of overrides if you need too..
I don't have an EM1 yet so can't recommend it but best of luck.. great pics!!

magicaxeman
2nd November 2013, 04:58 PM
No bridges are out Jamsa, even the fuji X one doesn't have the iQ I'm after, the sensor is just to small.

The bed rig works great with heavy lenses, it was just the physical size of the Nikon 300mm I have been using with the X-Pro1 that meant it couldnt stay on the mount all the time, the smaller olympus will be able to stay on there all the time making life much easier.

Yes the app and the control it offers is a big selling point for me, it means even on really bad days I'll still be able to shoot.
Its looking more and more like I'm going to have to order both next week.

bilbo
2nd November 2013, 05:41 PM
How are you supporting that rig? Is the lens just supported by the lens mount as it appears? That must be taking its toll on the mounting if that's the case.

The pic you've posted (great job by the way!) was taken with a focal length of 300mm. Will you get the reach you need with the 50-200mm Zuiko?

All the best

magicaxeman
2nd November 2013, 06:29 PM
Thats the old rig Brian, the new one has a gimble head so lenses mount directly to it via their tripod collar.
Its attached to that 2" diameter pole via a hide clamp, the telescoping section is a part of the clamp and just like on a tripod slides to adjust height.

The good thing with using the EM1 & 50-200 on it would be that the lens can be parked with the pole in its up position as I don't need to see the back of the camera when its on it.

I think the focal length will be fine, I don't think the 50mm reach that I'll lose over a 300mm on APSC will prove to be much of a problem as targets will be around 3-4 metres away at most.
If I do need more reach I can always add a 1.4x TC to the lens, I've seen some pretty good results with it on here.

OM USer
3rd November 2013, 12:41 PM
That first pic is superb. I'm using a E-M5 + 75-300mm for my wildlife shots as it is a much lighter lens (I tend to shoot handheld) but it looks like you have done your homework and an E-M1 + 50-200mm would work very well with your setup. By all accounts the 50-200mm works well with the 1.4x but not so well with the 2x if you after after maximum IQ. Glad you are able to keep your photography up. Looking forward to some more shots with whatever kit you get.

OlyPaul
3rd November 2013, 02:08 PM
Hi Magicaxeman,

Welcome and I hope this will help answer your question about IQ.

Taken on the E-M5 (the E-M1 is supposed to be better) using the 40-150mm kit lens. Taken through double glazing handheld at 150mm f5.6 @ 1/320sec ISO 320.

Full frame and a 100% crop to pixel peep.
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1676/Picture00016.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/67236)

Gwyver
6th November 2013, 05:29 PM
Hi Magicaxeman,
Welcome to the forum.
In case you haven't already spotted it - WEX are currently listing a 50-200SWD in their used stock list.

Also, I'm seriously considering selling my EC-14 teleconverter (which doesn't get used since I sold my 20-200 last year. Let me know if this is of interest to you.

Peter_Hartland
6th November 2013, 08:29 PM
With the EM1 you can also use your phone or IPad to see the image & remotely take the image as well don't forget.