PDA

View Full Version : E-M1 IBIS and legacy/non-native lenses.

David Morison
1st November 2013, 06:48 PM
The OMD E-M1 IBIS is a brilliant aid to MF with legacy/non-native lenses but it has the unfortunate side effect (in my camera) of remaining active after the shutter is pressed and is only cancelled by pressing a button (any button). Apart from the extra battery power this uses I am also concerned that this will shorten the life of the IBIS.
Has anyone else experienced this, is there a way of avoiding this and is there an explanation?

David

photo_owl
1st November 2013, 07:14 PM
David, just a quick check; you are saying that IBIS starts on half shutter press, and continues active after the shot is made with legacy glass?

I've just checked with mine and the IBIS goes off after taking the shot in a manner consistent with removing a finger after a half shutter press.

brian1208
1st November 2013, 07:14 PM
sounds unusual behaviour David, it doesn't do that on the EM-5.

I'll have a go when I get my camera body back and see if it works like that for me

Ralph Harwood
1st November 2013, 10:46 PM
Hi everyone!

Is this because it stabilises the view through the EVF too on the E-M1? I'm sure i have read that elsewhere on the forum.

Cheers,

Ralph.

andym
1st November 2013, 11:01 PM
Yes I had noticed this on my 4/3 lenses(seems to go on for about 2 seconds after shutter release). Does it not happen on M 4/3 lenses?
I've only got the 14-150 and not used it on the E-M1 yet.
On the E-M5 with early firmware you could hear the IBIS doing something all the time but I think 1.3 cured this.

Didn't seem to make any difference to the battery life though.

David Morison
1st November 2013, 11:21 PM
After some more testing (I should have done this before starting the thread) I've discovered that it is nothing to do with legacy lenses but that IBIS is activated by switching on magnification to assist MF. All the time the image is magnified, whether EVF or LV the IBIS is running, not sure that this is necessary or advisable but that's the way it is!

David

bredman
1st November 2013, 11:29 PM
I just checked with the 75-300 on the E-M1 and the IBIS dies off after a lapse of just over a second. Then i swapped for an adapted Zeiss Flektogon and it's exactly the same lapse time.

edit: too slow. :)

brian1208
2nd November 2013, 05:43 AM
but that IBIS is activated by switching on magnification to assist MF.

that may be why I don't remember hearing it then as I rarely if ever use the magnify function

Shaw
2nd November 2013, 09:01 AM
My one does this also, and to turn it off is a hit or a miss. Sometimes the button assigned to magnify will turn it off, but not every time, and I have to use the menu button, or the on/off switch.

David Morison
2nd November 2013, 09:41 AM
I've finally worked out that the activation of the IBIS when using the image magnification function is a great advantage when manual focusing with any lens. If focus peaking and MF are used at the same time the peaking is cancelled when the shutter button is half-pressed and IBIS activated, whereas when magnification is also activated this doesn't happen.

However we now have another important aid when using MF with longer lenses when peaking, magnification and IBIS need to be used at the same time. This combination of functions is a major breakthrough for us who like to use legacy/non-native long telephotos but I cannot find any reference to this in the manual apart from MF Assist activating zoom OR peaking. The problem with this function is that it does not activate with legacy lenses.

This is IMO a major selling point for the camera (and the E-P5?) which I think should be more widely publicised, especially with the large number of mount adapters to m4/3rds now becoming available.

David