PDA

View Full Version : E-m1 n WiFi - stupidity

blu-by-u
1st November 2013, 08:44 AM
Talk of stupidity.

The E-m1 finally arrived. The first thing I did, set all my favourite settings. The EVF, the lever and buttons and copywrite and ownership..then I temembered that WiFi.

Download that app on my Samsung..then :eek: I hit a wall.

There is a selection in the menu for the WiFi. there is even a reset password and reset..Now where is that button to enable the WiFi? :confused:

Searched the google and I got a Youtube on how to use the WiFi..there was a finger touching the screen but then none of that appeared on my screen??:confused: I searched here, still the same.

In my mind, could I have received a Lemon :eek::confused:

Then I thought, maybe I did not attach the lens, and I put in the lens and did some more settings and :eek: the WiFi and RS, appered.

Further settings, removed the lens and then WiFi :eek: disappeared again:confused: It can't be that manual lenses won;t be supported..

It could be my settings..then I found out...to enable that WiFi icon, I have to enable that touch screen.*note

Why so much problems. Can't that enable and disable be in that WiFi setting tab??:confused:

pvasc
1st November 2013, 08:58 AM
Odd but I bet they're not, or not yet. Hard to set the aperture and focus on a manual lens from a tablet, BUT you could preset everything and still trigger the shutter remotely and that should be supported.

Peter_Hartland
1st November 2013, 09:07 AM
Firstly you must have a card in the camera & OI.Share installed on your phone..
In main menu go down to Tools, select Wi-FI & make sure it is set for Private
In main Menu go to Playback Menu
Select connect to smart phone press OK
You will get a square QR Code which is your password
With phone select QI & scan QR code.

See page 119 of the M1 Manual

photo_owl
1st November 2013, 12:14 PM
Why so much problems. Can't that enable and disable be in that WiFi setting tab??:confused:

you have me - why did you have so many problems?

mine worked out the box, and I didn't have to touch any screen at all and it works fine with an old manual lens stuck on the front (I tested the most basic non adapter lens I had - modified Minolta K fitting into the MMF-1)

so, the question really is as you ask - why so many problems......

photo_owl
1st November 2013, 12:19 PM
Odd but I bet they're not, or not yet. Hard to set the aperture and focus on a manual lens from a tablet, BUT you could preset everything and still trigger the shutter remotely and that should be supported.

you have full camera control, metering, shutter speed selection, WB, ISO etc as normal.......as you say, focus and aperture are beyond the electronics capabilities!

blu-by-u
1st November 2013, 02:06 PM
Firstly you must have a card in the camera & OI.Share installed on your phone..
In main menu go down to Tools, select Wi-FI & make sure it is set for Private
In main Menu go to Playback Menu
Select connect to smart phone press OK
You will get a square QR Code which is your password
With phone select QI & scan QR code.

See page 119 of the M1 Manual

Tested..with the touch screen turn off, that WiFi icon also do not appear.

So to have that WiFi icon, you MUST have a card and the touch screen must be on.:cool: Wonder why:confused:

blu-by-u
1st November 2013, 02:14 PM
you have me - why did you have so many problems?

mine worked out the box, and I didn't have to touch any screen at all and it works fine with an old manual lens stuck on the front (I tested the most basic non adapter lens I had - modified Minolta K fitting into the MMF-1)

so, the question really is as you ask - why so many problems......

Think I am just JINXed.:eek: Nothing seems to work with me. First off, I don't read the manual. This is one HUGE problem but then, where is the manual? *yes

I should have just take out the camera, stuff in a lens and then shoot. Many years ago, I got that E-620, I did just that...and what a nightmare I got. The out of the box was just so bad that I just could not accept it.

Since then, I custom the camera before i even press that trigger.

And if something goes dreadfully wrong, there is always this forum :D.

Ian
1st November 2013, 03:30 PM
I do concede that the Wifi/OI Share system is a bit complicated.

There is an illustrated Help facility in the OI Share app that walks you through setting the Wifi up.

Ian

dogsbody
3rd November 2013, 08:58 PM
It had me stumped for a while, event though my phone said I had the latest app I removed and re-installed it and it was seamless.

I wonder if leaving the camera wifi on when not in use drains the battery?

StephenL
3rd November 2013, 09:35 PM
I don't think you can leave wi-fi on whilst using the camera ordinarily?

dogsbody
4th November 2013, 12:18 PM
I don't think you can leave wi-fi on whilst using the camera ordinarily?

I think I need to read the full manual.

using mine yesterday I had a very short battery life, my first thought was wiifi a check of the settings menu indicated that it was still selected as on, which had me thinking if it was scanning for my phone and of therefore draining the battery.

StephenL
4th November 2013, 12:20 PM
I think that setting is just to enable it for use. It only actually switches on when you press the icon on the touch screen.

blu-by-u
4th November 2013, 01:51 PM
When the WiFi in the camera is enabled (On), the screen will show that WiFi screen and that barcode. This will not dim or allows you to use the camera except via the connected device. I am wondering is how long will a fresh charged battery in the camera last when it's on this way. Can I say mount the camera on a remote tripod? or up a tree while I hide waiting for that bird?

OM USer
4th November 2013, 02:38 PM
You can put it in the middle of a lake whilst a girl gallops past on a horse.

brian1208
9th November 2013, 12:11 PM
E-m1 n WiFi - stupidity

That's me!

I've had three goes at this and still can't get it to work

Is it correct that I need to activate it via the touch screen (if so, that would explain it as I don't normally have that on as I shoot via the EVF)

I've loaded the SSID and password, which I thought was supposed to be a one time action but my stupid android pad seems to lose the settings every time I switch the camera off

Close to telling it to get lost (can't make head nor tail of the manual)

Any clues (or sympathy :) would be appreciated

StephenL
9th November 2013, 12:23 PM
On the camera, you can ONLY switch wi-fi on via the rear screen. Pressing the Wi-Fi symbol in the top-left of the screen brings up the symbol which you scan with your tablet's camera (when first setting it up). It also removes all control from the camera.

Make sure that, on the camera before you switch on wi-fi, the connection mode is set to Private. Otherwise your tablet will insist on a new passcode every time.

Page 119 of the full manual might help.

bilbo
9th November 2013, 12:28 PM
That's me!

I've had three goes at this and still can't get it to work

Is it correct that I need to activate it via the touch screen (if so, that would explain it as I don't normally have that on as I shoot via the EVF)

I've loaded the SSID and password, which I thought was supposed to be a one time action but my stupid android pad seems to lose the settings every time I switch the camera off

Close to telling it to get lost (can't make head nor tail of the manual)

Any clues (or sympathy :) would be appreciatedHave you managed to load the SSID and password into your android pad? On my iPad, after doing that (one time only as you say), and with the wifi active on the camera (QR code is displayed on the camera's touch screen at this point) I then have to select the camera's network from the available networks within Settings on the iPad - every time I turn off the camera wifi, the iPad reverts to my router as you would expect.

EDIT: a further thought. In the Spanner menu -> Wi-Fi Settings -> Wi-Fi Connect Settings should be set to "Private", not "One Time"

StephenL
9th November 2013, 12:31 PM
every time I turn off the camera wifi, the iPad reverts to my router as you would expect.
Obviously if you are using the camera out-of-range of your router, the tablet will/should pick up the nearest wireless signal, which should be coming from the camera.

andym
9th November 2013, 12:32 PM
every time I turn off the camera wifi, the iPad reverts to my router as you would expect.

This is what happens me to which is probably correct , but once the camera is in Wi-Fi mode you just have to select the camera out of the tablets connection list again.

bilbo
9th November 2013, 12:36 PM
This is what happens me to which is probably correct , but once the camera is in Wi-Fi mode you just have to select the camera out of the tablets connection list again.Agreed. *chr.

brian1208
9th November 2013, 12:36 PM
thanks for that Stephen, I have followed the instructions on p89 and p119 then went through the setting to private, manually entered the SSID and password and had the camera controlled from the pad last night (without having to have the touch screen active)

But, as you say, it blocked out the camera controls and would only work via the pad

This morning when I came to repeat the test I had to go through the whole procedure again, even though I yet again specified it was a private connection and the manual tells me I only need to do this once

Had it working again via the pad for a while but what I really want to do is set up the connection, then go back to using the camera in normal EVF mode but downloading the .jpgs in real-time as I shoot (in the studio mainly)

Can't see how to do this (maybe it just isn't possible?)

bilbo
9th November 2013, 12:38 PM
When the camera is in wifi mode you can't control it except via your wifi device.

brian1208
9th November 2013, 12:47 PM
Thanks Brian, that's a bit of a bore, maybe they will be able to add the "extra" functionality in a later firmware upgrade.

The ability to shoot normally and download images to check as I go is probably my main use for the WIFI connection.

I guess I may have to go back to using an Eye-fi card (if that is feasible) for this purpose

bilbo
9th November 2013, 12:51 PM
Thanks Brian, that's a bit of a bore, maybe they will be able to add the "extra" functionality in a later firmware upgrade.

The ability to shoot normally and download images to check as I go is probably my main use for the WIFI connection.

I guess I may have to go back to using an Eye-fi card (if that is feasible) for this purposeI find it very disappointing and how hard can it be to do? :(

Graham of Rainham has communicated his disappointment to Olympus too...

StephenL
9th November 2013, 01:58 PM
I find it very disappointing and how hard can it be to do? :(

Agreed, but one step at a time, eh ... :)

bilbo
9th November 2013, 03:07 PM
I just tried the wifi with my wife's Android phone with very variable results, wifi dropout from a distance of 2 feet, camera not responding to shutter commands (ie not taking the picture), phone losing the password.

With this as the only remote release option on the E-M1, it's a bit flaky.

andym
9th November 2013, 03:09 PM
With my Andriod Tablet I can use it up to about 30 feet away with no problems.

bilbo
9th November 2013, 03:14 PM
With my Andriod Tablet I can use it up to about 30 feet away with no problems.Same as my iPad. But since this is the only remote control possibility, I was hoping to be able to get a cheap Android phone to use as a remote control. It seems that it's going to be hit and miss until the OI Share product matures... or Olympus release the API.

Wee man
9th November 2013, 05:05 PM
I got my android phone to work but cannot get my android tablet to work. When the code is displayed my tablet does not read so I enter the given password and everything stops at that point Help anyone?

brian1208
9th November 2013, 05:24 PM
you need to manually set up the WIFI link by entering both the SSID code and password in the set-up section of your android panel.

Then select the correct link to the camera from your wifi options list.

When I do that it will connect, but even though I save the information it appears to forget it every time I switch either the camera or the pad off :(

photo_owl
9th November 2013, 05:26 PM
Same as my iPad. But since this is the only remote control possibility, I was hoping to be able to get a cheap Android phone to use as a remote control. It seems that it's going to be hit and miss until the OI Share product matures... or Olympus release the API.

surely it's more likely to be the phone, and it's wifi set up (ie scanning and network priorities) than the OI app that are causing you a problem?

I run it from both iPad and Android devices and haven't any issues such as you describe at all.

bilbo
9th November 2013, 05:30 PM
surely it's more likely to be the phone, and it's wifi set up (ie scanning and network priorities) than the OI app that are causing you a problem?

I run it from both iPad and Android devices and haven't any issues such as you describe at all.i agree that it's likely to be the phone. Which phone do you use?

photo_owl
9th November 2013, 05:55 PM
i agree that it's likely to be the phone. Which phone do you use?

I've run it from the original HTC Desire (but I'm not sure it had the original operating system as it was passed down from NO3 son) and a Galaxy II.

raichea
9th November 2013, 07:39 PM
But since this is the only remote control possibility...
Why do you say this is the only remote control option.... does the multi-connector not support a wired remote? Has this been stated anywhere?

Steve.

bilbo
9th November 2013, 07:42 PM
Why do you say this is the only remote control option.... does the multi-connector not support a wired remote? Has this been stated anywhere?

Steve.
Not as far as I can see. I'd love to be proven wrong!

EDIT: Is the RM-UC1 compatible?

photo_owl
9th November 2013, 08:20 PM

yes it is......... *chr

drmarkf
9th November 2013, 11:00 PM
yes it is......... *chr

Excellent!

magicaxeman
12th November 2013, 11:13 PM
I had no problems connecting it to my ipad mini, but was somewhat peeved to find it wouldn't wirelessly connect to the laptop or the home network, maybe I need to play some more.

timd1230
12th November 2013, 11:27 PM
Think Robert wong had a good demo on his blog

StephenL
13th November 2013, 07:50 AM
I had no problems connecting it to my ipad mini, but was somewhat peeved to find it wouldn't wirelessly connect to the laptop or the home network, maybe I need to play some more.
The camera will only connect to a device running the specific app, ie, Android and Apple i devices.

Zuiko
13th November 2013, 08:50 AM
Wow, this all sounds complicated! Luckily it's a feature I will never, ever use even if I do eventually get an E-M1. The reason? I hate phones with a passion and reluctantly have a basic pay as you go mainly for emergency use. There is no way I am going to allow a phone to intrude into my photography! Life is already too complicated. :rolleyes:

MalSales
13th November 2013, 09:18 AM
Hi All, I'm new here so maybe missing something obvious.
My E-M1 arrived Monday (today is Wednesday morning). Yesterday afternoon I thought I'd set up the wi-fi and hit a brick wall.
Several times I've tried to connect my iPhone (ios6) and I keep hitting the same problem; Camera must be in private (which it is!) :(
I was using my Panasonic 25mm, Changed to the Oly 60mm and still no joy :(
I am using the back screen on the camera and pressing the remote control on the iPhone.

I'm very confused, Help please.

StephenL
13th November 2013, 10:04 AM
Firstly, I presume the app loaded OK? Secondly, I'm not certain, but you might have to be on IOS7 (latest version).

OM USer
13th November 2013, 10:08 AM

Wasn't there an interview (with Terada) a couple of weeks ago where he said they aware of the lack of PC communication?

Ian
13th November 2013, 10:27 AM

You can also use Triggertrap.

Ian

photo_owl
13th November 2013, 05:13 PM
Hi All, I'm new here so maybe missing something obvious.
My E-M1 arrived Monday (today is Wednesday morning). Yesterday afternoon I thought I'd set up the wi-fi and hit a brick wall.
Several times I've tried to connect my iPhone (ios6) and I keep hitting the same problem; Camera must be in private (which it is!) :(
I was using my Panasonic 25mm, Changed to the Oly 60mm and still no joy :(
I am using the back screen on the camera and pressing the remote control on the iPhone.

I'm very confused, Help please.

Mal,

What do you see when you press the WiFi button on the touch screen? It should show a blue screen with private connection across the top and WiFI Starting.........then a white screen with a QR code, the SSID of the private network and the password......

If that's all happening, can your iPhone see that network? If so then either use the QR code or enter password to connect.

MalSales
13th November 2013, 05:43 PM
Hi Photo_Owl

What do you see when you press the WiFi button on the touch screen?
It should show a blue screen with private connection across the top and WiFI Starting.........
then a white screen with a QR code, the SSID of the private network and the password......

I get all as you say
I then press Remote Control in Olympus Image Share on my iPhone 4s running iOS6
It says "This function is available only in Private Connection mode".

Wee man
13th November 2013, 06:16 PM
I get there when I input the password nothing happens , Android tablet.

brian1208
13th November 2013, 06:36 PM
have you tried inputting the SSID code and password manually on your Android system? That's what I had to do with my ASUS transformer tablet as it didn't want to read the QR code of the LCD

photo_owl
13th November 2013, 06:52 PM
Hi Photo_Owl

What do you see when you press the WiFi button on the touch screen?
It should show a blue screen with private connection across the top and WiFI Starting.........
then a white screen with a QR code, the SSID of the private network and the password......

I get all as you say
I then press Remote Control in Olympus Image Share on my iPhone 4s running iOS6
It says "This function is available only in Private Connection mode".

I've just connected up using an iPad Mini and IOS 6.1 fine - I'm sorry I can't help you beyond the above. If the camera starts the private network, the iPhone sees it and connects to it, OIShare shows the connection to the camera........then the OIShare applications should work

MalSales
14th November 2013, 03:41 PM
Hi All, Great I've solved the issue. It transpired that I needed to go an area without a known (to my iPhone) Wi-Fi network. All working great now :(

StephenL
14th November 2013, 04:08 PM
Hi All, Great I've solved the issue. It transpired that I needed to go an area without a known (to my iPhone) Wi-Fi network. All working great now :(
You could also select the camera's network in the Wi-Fi settings on the iPhone configuration page.

magicaxeman
15th November 2013, 02:31 PM
The camera will only connect to a device running the specific app, ie, Android and Apple i devices.

Yes I got it wrong when looking at the specs etc before buying Stephen.

Maybe if we get lucky Olympus will include wireless file transfer or even wireless remote via a firmware update for the camera and a software update for the Olympus viewer software.
I know it can be done as Canon have done with their Canon utility software for the 70D & 6D.

I know I for one would find it very handy for both file transfer and remote control.

raichea
15th November 2013, 08:05 PM

Steve.
In case anyone is interested, remote works fine using the multi-connector. I've successfully tested remote firing with my modified (details here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51422608) Yongnuo RF-603 wireless remote triggers.

Steve

Graham_of_Rainham
16th November 2013, 12:08 AM
Maybe if we get lucky Olympus will include wireless file transfer or even wireless remote via a firmware update for the camera and a software update for the Olympus viewer software.

I know I for one would find it very handy for both file transfer and remote control.

This is something I have been banging on about for a long time... I have twice written to Olympus suggesting/asking for it.

We had tethered download & control years ago with Studio.

I can download images from a FlashAir card, to a PC but have to do it manually (or use a repeating poll via web ripper)

I shall cheer aloud when they do finally give us this capability in Viewer 4 (or whatever they call it)

*chr

Grumpy Hec
17th November 2013, 08:04 AM
In the hope that it may help someone here are a few observations based on the content of this thread so far.

> the multi connector works fine with my hahnel Giga T Pro
> at the moment the wireless function is not designed to connect to PC or LAN
> the GPS logging function is excellent and far better than the separate GPS logger I used to use.
> on Android devices, depending on make and model, you could experience a problem where the device, phone for example, connects but then says the the internet connection is too slow and reverts to your wifi LAN. This could well be because there is a setting in some Android implementations which basically switches to the strongest source of then internet. I had this and puzzled over it until I realised what it was and switched that off in my phone. Where this setting is will vary I suspect but on my Samsung Galaxy 4 it was in the advanced wireless section and called "check for internet service"
> outside of my home wifi LAN, which is very strong as I have three wireless action points due to blank spots previously in the service, the connection works faultlessly and once I figured out the setting I mentioned above it is equally good in my house.
> being able to control the camera via a tablet is positively spooky and if you do still life say really helpful when composing and shooting.

Hope that helps to answer some questions.

cheers

Hec

David Morison
17th November 2013, 09:09 AM
Well it seems to work OK for me although I mainly just use it to import photos to iPhone for tweeting.

David

Wee man
22nd November 2013, 03:45 PM
I have an android based tablet which in the about section claims 4.2.1. But in setting section claims 4.4 . I am trying to download ishare but am told it is not compatible ! Looking at the ishare details it states works with 2.2 --- 4.3 could the problem be my version is too high ? Is anyone else having this problem and am I stuck waiting for Olympus to upgrade ishare?

raichea
22nd November 2013, 04:51 PM
Unless you bought it very recently, it won't be Android 4.4... this was only released on 31 October this year.. on Nexus tablets to begin with. It should appear on more as time goes by, and no doubt some relatively new tablets/phones will get updates to 4.4 at some point.

Perhaps 4.4 is referring to the version of the Settings program?

Steve.

Wee man
22nd November 2013, 05:31 PM
You are probably right if so any thoughts why ishare is said to be incompatible?

raichea
22nd November 2013, 07:08 PM
You are probably right if so any thoughts why ishare is said to be incompatible?
'Fraid not... I've installed on a tablet and a phone, both running 4.1.2. Haven't actually tried using it yet, though...

Steve.