PDA

View Full Version : sigma 70-200 f2.8 - 4/3rds fit - opinions

brian1208
31st October 2013, 12:13 PM
I've seen on of these used for a reasonable price and wondered if anyone has used it on a 4/3rds body, or better yet with the EM-1 and if so, how do you rate it?

Thanks

Brian

catkins
31st October 2013, 06:49 PM
Yes it's a fabulous value for money good image quality lens that occasionally can be found at a bargain price. I loved it so much that it became my standard lens for several months! There should be some of my images in my gallery that were taken with the Sigma plus some on the Sigma Pinterest site http://www.pinterest.com/sigmaimaginguk/sigma-70-200mm-f28-apo-ex-dg-os-hsm/
All my photos have been taken with an Olympus E-30 or E-520.
Regards
Chris

brian1208
31st October 2013, 07:03 PM
thanks Chris, how was the focus speed, would you rate it as a feasible BIF lens?

raichea
31st October 2013, 09:36 PM
This was taken with a Sigma 70-200 on an E-600 (it's about a 50% crop from memory). I think it's a pretty good lens. I was mainly using pre-focus - haven't really tried out C-AF on this lens.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/raichea/5909382112/

Steve

brian1208
31st October 2013, 10:05 PM
Thanks Steve, some excellent images there. Is that from the Wimborne race meet on the Uddens farm circuit? it looks very similar to the track I went to this September (but much better quality images :) )

brian1208
31st October 2013, 11:05 PM
I've been thinking, I've still got my EOS to m4/3rds converter and I'm pretty good at manual focus, I wonder if I would be better getting a canon ef200 f2.8L, particularly as I have the panny 35-100f2.8, which I plan to trade for the oly 40-150 f2.8 when it finally comes out.

It would fill a gap and give me a lovely sharp and clean 400 f2.8 fov equivalent, hmmm (and I've got some old kit to trade)

It would be much lighter than the 70-200 f2.8 as well

Something to mull over

raichea
31st October 2013, 11:51 PM
Thanks Steve, some excellent images there. Is that from the Wimborne race meet on the Uddens farm circuit? it looks very similar to the track I went to this September (but much better quality images :) )
Glad you liked them Brian. I'm not sure what the circuit was to be honest, apart from it being near Wimborne. I don't follow the sport - my daughter's boyfriend at the time is a racer and I saw it as a good opportunity to try some action/sport photography.

Steve.

raichea
31st October 2013, 11:52 PM
It would be much lighter than the 70-200 f2.8 as well

There's no denying the Sigma is a big lens... I used a monopod for the Wimborne shoot.

Steve.

Ralph Harwood
1st November 2013, 12:45 AM
Hi there Brian!

I have the sigma 70-200f2.8 and love it on my E-30. Mine was about half the price of a 50-200 f2.8 olympus lens (which was definately out of my price range!)

I don't tend to use C-AF, I do use the S-AF a bit when photographing animals at the zoo and find the camera focusses as fast if not faster than the 14-54 on the same camera, and seems pretty accurate if you are not shooting through the chainlink fences!

The IR bat images were taken using the lens, but they don't show it in the best light (the failings there are the lack of a REALLY powerful IR flash) although some of the static bat shots came out ok (the pictures on here don't really do it justice). These were also taken prefocussed as my IR AF illuminator didn't give enough light for the AF to cope properly at long range.

There are also some pictures of the cheetars which came out quite well considering the dull weather they were taken in (I think with an EC-14 and wide open to get a reasonably fast exposure)

There is no doubt that it is a heavy lens - after about an hour of hand holding in the bat house (admittedly with 2 flashes attached as well) my shoulders were beginning to ache somewhat, but I think any lens of that aperture size and length is by default going to be heavy! It is after all designed for larger sensors and is f2.8 across the whole range of focal lengths.

It has to be said that this is one of my favourite lenses and the one I am most glad I took a chance on, I don't regret buying it in the slightest.

Cheers,

Ralph.

PS if you want full size images of the cheetars I could e-mail them to you if you pm me - I don't post images anywhere but this forum.

brian1208
1st November 2013, 01:13 AM
thanks Ralph and Steve. The weight could well put the lid on that idea as I have real problems handling heavy kit these days (arthritic shoulders wrist and hands, which was why I switched from my canon kit in the first place)

Steve, that will be the same circuit then :D
(in fact, looking again at your pics I reckon you were standing in much the same place I did to get my shots! )

Ralph Harwood
1st November 2013, 01:38 AM
Hi there Brian!

I could put it on the scales when I get home in the morning if you like - you would be able to tell if it was considerably heavier than the canon. Also can you manually adjust the f-stop on the canon, or do you have to use it wide open?

Cheers,

Ralph.

brian1208
1st November 2013, 01:46 AM
Thanks Ralph, according to their specs, the canon comes in at just over 700g and the sigma is 1390g so its nearly double the weight :(

As to the aperture, its not adjustable as there is no electronic link but I have two cunning ploys ;)
- the adapter I have has an iris built in which whilst not so effective as the iris in-body does help increase DOF a little
- I have an old but working EOS film camera which I can use to pre-set the aperture should I want to close down the lens a little, can't see me wanting to go smaller than f4 though

(I have used these two tricks to good effect with a couple of other EOS bodies in the past on the EM-5)

brian1208
1st November 2013, 11:58 AM
After much mulling (and the fact that my dealer didn't want to do a part-ex for the 200 L) I have ordered a supposedly new, unused but old stock fd 200 f2.8.

Could be a mistake (although I've seen some cracking images from it on m4/3rds bodies dotted about the web) but for less than 250 its a chance worth taking

I should have this + my EM-1 back next week, when it will be time to play (watch the weather get really foul then :D )

Ralph Harwood
1st November 2013, 10:26 PM
Thanks Ralph, according to their specs, the canon comes in at just over 700g and the sigma is 1390g so its nearly double the weight :(

As to the aperture, its not adjustable as there is no electronic link but I have two cunning ploys ;)
- the adapter I have has an iris built in which whilst not so effective as the iris in-body does help increase DOF a little
- I have an old but working EOS film camera which I can use to pre-set the aperture should I want to close down the lens a little, can't see me wanting to go smaller than f4 though

(I have used these two tricks to good effect with a couple of other EOS bodies in the past on the EM-5)

Hi Brian!

I have put mine on the scales and with the front and rear caps on, a skylight on the front and the tripod mount on it weighed in at 1445g - I hadn't realised it was that heavy!

Good luck with your canon FD 200mmf2.8 - it's certainly a lot lighter! The FD is the older manual lens isn't it - so aperture would be settable. The EOS film camera trick is a good one though!

Cheers,

Ralph.

brian1208
1st November 2013, 10:40 PM
thanks Ralph. Yes, having a manual aperture ring is one of the benefits of the fd lens (as its very low price). I have read it is prone to CA but the images I've managed to find all look pretty neat and it seems to have good bokeh.

I'm looking forward to having a go at birding with it, maybe with a 1.4X TC on (a proper fd version, of course)

Watch this space to see if its a riot or a bust (it will be fun playing whatever the outcome :) )

brian1208
2nd November 2013, 10:38 AM
Well, that's not bad - I ordered the lens mid-day yesterday and it arrived today, Special Delivery.

What's more, it really is "New" (even though its an FD lens so must be at least 23 years old!) with an original pristine box, all the documentation (never been opened) and the lens is also in pristine condition.

Of course, as soon as it arrived the clouds came in and its started to mizzle but I've had a few test shots.

- as reported on the web, it can produce wonderful purple CA on sharp edges against a bright sky wide open but this is easily corrected in LR. From f4 up it seems to more or less disappear

- its seems slightly soft at f2.8 but sharp stopped down to f4 (although I'm having to work with highish ISO (400 - 800) to get reasonable shutter speed which will lose a bit of sharpness)

- its a little front heavy but is lovely to hand-hold, has enough inertia that it nestles in my hand as some of my old L lenses used to (but without the weight)

Well done Ffordes, it looks like I have got a good deal here :)

So, here's the first image I want to share from this new lens on the EM-5 (maybe shouldn't be here but it will lead in to some work with the EM-1 as soon as it gets home)

This is a shot of a photograph of Jodie, a new model I shot last Monday, (what a great studio session that was :) ) it was hand-held at minimum focal distance with f2.8, ISO 800 for 1/100th sec (through its transparent foil envelope)
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5485/10623632954_eb9dda5411_o.jpg

David M
2nd November 2013, 10:57 AM
You may want to research about a 1.4 TC for it, there can be issues. There's an old thread on here about a FD mount Tokina 300mm that may have some relevant info.

brian1208
2nd November 2013, 11:09 AM
thanks David, yes I have already started down that road and found that I need the B variant (which is for lenses less than 300mm). Seen a few on the web, not cheap but said to be the best match to the 200 f2.8.

I'll see how I get on with the lens first before splashing more cash :)