PDA

View Full Version : 12mm rear element

Iansky
29th October 2013, 09:38 AM
I have recently purchased a brand new Oly 12mm f2 lens and IQ does not appear as sharp as I was expecting.

I do always use a very soft chamois cloth to wipe my lenses down after a day of shooting and noticed that when wiping the rear element, I could feel some movement and hear it moving as well, I am sure it should not be like this? I have spoken to the retailer (LCE) and they are going to source another one for me but still feel this is not right on a £550 lens

Do any other 12mm owners/users have this problem?

Thanks,
Ian

Chevvyf1
29th October 2013, 09:53 AM
I have recently purchased a brand new Oly 12mm f2 lens and IQ does not appear as sharp as I was expecting.

I do always use a very soft chamois cloth to wipe my lenses down after a day of shooting and noticed that when wiping the rear element, I could feel some movement and hear it moving as well, I am sure it should not be like this? I have spoken to the retailer (LCE) and they are going to source another one for me but still feel this is not right on a 550 lens

Do any other 12mm owners/users have this problem?

Thanks,
Ian

NOT yet, but I have one on order and shall bear this in mind :eek:

Iansky
29th October 2013, 10:45 AM
NOT yet, but I have one on order and shall bear this in mind :eek:

I will post the outcome, LCE have been great and hopefully will have a new lens in by the weekend.

StephenL
29th October 2013, 11:47 AM
Just had a feel of mine (!) and you can indeed easily press the rear element in, as if it's sprung. By about 3mm. But there's no lateral movement.

And I've just had a careful look at some of the shots from it, but they seem pin-sharp.

OM USer
29th October 2013, 11:53 AM
The rear element on mine seems to be on a spring as I can push it in, there is quite a bit of movement. I could not detect any sideways movement but as there is nothing to grasp it would not be that easy to spot.

Ralph Harwood
29th October 2013, 07:06 PM
Hi there everyone!

Just a thought, but if as it seems the rear element is held in place by a spring, could it be possible that a small amount of debris could have gone between the lens and it's seat, either causing the lens to tilt slightly or possibly not fully return after being pressed in? I would certainly advise caution when cleaning the rear element. Is there anything in the supplied documentation about cleaning the rear element?

Cheers,

Ralph.

Iansky
31st October 2013, 08:54 AM
I dont see anything about cleaning the lens.

The moving rear element does concern me as being the last one in the group it does allow dirt/debris to get past it.

Mine does not appear to stick and does depress (gently) in and out with some lateral movement, I am also very gentle in my cleaning and the chamois I use have all been washed previously to remove loose bits so I am sure it has nothing to do with that ( I have been using that method for 30+ yrs including 20yrs of pro work without any negative impact).

I have tried the lens wide open and at it's optimum aperture f5.6 (based on the addage of two stops down from wide open) and yet my images still do not appear as sharp as they should and when I consider there is no filter on the camera, it worries me even more!

The retailer has contacted their Olympus Rep and he is going to source a replacement lens (and my free HLD 7 battery grip..............I hope) so fingers crossed it arrives by the weekend but not holding my breath.

I do love the EM-1 as it is ergonomically a huge improvement over my much loved EM-5 and all the changes in layout, build etc are a real plus - it is ceratinly getting some rave reviews as well so good news for all.

Ralph Harwood
31st October 2013, 11:26 PM
Hi there Ian!

If there is lateral movement in you rear element, is there the posibility that the lens can become off centre when you have finished cleaning? If the lens has a convex face it could then tilt the whole rear element slightly without it being obvious when examined - this may well cause the image degradation you are experiencing.

I'm glad to hear you are getting a replacement lens - I would be interested to hear the rep's thoughts on the issue and if you get any feedback from olympus too.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Iansky
1st November 2013, 11:25 AM
Thanks All,

Hopefully I will get a replacement soon and when/if I hear back from Olympus I will post the results on here.

I have not heard/read of anyone else having any OOF issues with this lens but that does not mean there are not cases, it seems odd that Olympus would choose to have a rear element that moves as this one does and I am not sure of the reason as it does not make contact with anything in the camera body?