PDA

View Full Version : The scores are in - and they are good

Invicta
28th October 2013, 08:07 PM
DxO Mark have published their technical review of the Olympus E-M1.

http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-review-Pro-grade-body-Pro-grade-Sensor#5151

The news is good:

In replacing the E-5, the introduction of the E-M1 heralds a new direction for Olympus and their MFT models. The larger, pro-grade body should appeal to existing E-3 and E-5 users, while the addition of the new focusing system grants unrestricted access to the firmís range of high-performance, PD-AF based Four Third lenses. At the same time, Olympus has successfully integrated the system without degrading sensor IQ. Surely, thatís good news for prospective buyers.

Mickg
28th October 2013, 08:46 PM
Dpreview full review is up too.
Also good.

Ian
29th October 2013, 09:44 AM
The data confirms that the sensor is different to the E-M5. What confuses me is that Olympus told me to expect a slight improvement in high ISO noise. Instead there is a distinct improvement in dynamic range and colour sensitivity, but noise performance is pretty much the same as the E-M5. ISO 100 looks very good too.

If any E-5 users are still hesitant - have a look at the DxOMark comparison between the E-5 and E-M1 for dynamic range. At low ISO there is a 2 EV superiority and that extends 3 EVs at the high ISO end of the range. Noise superiority ranges from 1-2 EVs.

The E-M1 also has a better sensor in all benchmarks than the Canon EOS-7D, especially in dynamic range.

Ian

jdal
29th October 2013, 09:53 AM
Dammit, dammit and dammit. :eek:

I may be saying goodbye to my hopes of a McIlroy guitar, this camera really seems to fit the kind of thing I'm after.

Am I too late for the offers?

Stu
29th October 2013, 10:01 AM
Ian where the E-M1 is good on noise is at high ISO where there are lots of shadow areas. The have far less blue noise in them compared to the E-M5. Blue noise is a complete pain to get rid of as well without detail loss.

Ross the fiddler
29th October 2013, 10:11 AM
Last week I had been informed an E-M1 had come in for my order & waiting for me, but last week was not pleasant for us & made me rethink so I decided to let it go for now. Maybe next year I may change my mind, but for now the E-M5 will be sufficient for me.

ozzie
29th October 2013, 10:27 AM
The data confirms that the sensor is different to the E-M5. What confuses me is that Olympus told me to expect a slight improvement in high ISO noise. Instead there is a distinct improvement in dynamic range and colour sensitivity, but noise performance is pretty much the same as the E-M5. ISO 100 looks very good too.

If any E-5 users are still hesitant - have a look at the DxOMark comparison between the E-5 and E-M1 for dynamic range. At low ISO there is a 2 EV superiority and that extends 3 EVs at the high ISO end of the range. Noise superiority ranges from 1-2 EVs.

The E-M1 also has a better sensor in all benchmarks than the Canon EOS-7D, especially in dynamic range.

Ian

Ian
I have the em1 and the 12-40 and this combination is better than anything I have used on my e5 in the same focal length
However I am not having as good results with my four thirds lens when focus locks the images are very good ,getting a reasonable focus lock seems to be a problem.
So I ask you is the mmf1 not suitable with the em1 or is there a setting that gives good results with four thirds lenses as focus lock I am experiencing is not much better than my ep3
Thanks
John

Iansky
29th October 2013, 10:48 AM
All I seem to read has been good and it appears that Olympus have not only put a lot of time and effort into consolidating the 2 systems into 1 camera, they have also taken on board all the comments/suggestions & feedback from photographers!

How nice to have a company that listens.

The DXO review is a good sign as well.

sapper
29th October 2013, 11:26 AM
From what I read and hear, plus my own limited usage of the EM-1, it seems that at last Olympus have done what they set out to do with the E series. Smaller bodies/lenses plus quality files.

Ian
29th October 2013, 11:26 AM
Ian
I have the em1 and the 12-40 and this combination is better than anything I have used on my e5 in the same focal length
However I am not having as good results with my four thirds lens when focus locks the images are very good ,getting a reasonable focus lock seems to be a problem.
So I ask you is the mmf1 not suitable with the em1 or is there a setting that gives good results with four thirds lenses as focus lock I am experiencing is not much better than my ep3
Thanks
John

On paper the version of adapter should have no bearing on performance. But I suppose there could be a problem with yours?

Ian

Ian
29th October 2013, 11:28 AM
Ian where the E-M1 is good on noise is at high ISO where there are lots of shadow areas. The have far less blue noise in them compared to the E-M5. Blue noise is a complete pain to get rid of as well without detail loss.

Good point, noise comes in all forms and a basic lab test measurement can be misleading. I like noise to a degree and there are times when adding noise will improve an image - the right kind of noise! The grain structure and any colour impurity are very important factors.

Ian

Chevvyf1
29th October 2013, 11:46 AM

Ian

Yeah :) Yeah :) Yeah :) just about to post a macro image :D

bilbo
29th October 2013, 12:28 PM
This is what dpreview found to quibble about:

Interface and controls can be overwhelming initially
In-camera Raw conversion interface is somewhat unintuitive
Auto focus with Four Thirds lenses is slow in dim conditions with tricky subjects
Only one SD card slot
Inconveniently-placed power switch
Disappointing video quality
Multi-screen live view interface looks very dated (e.g. can't combine electronic level and histogram)

If that's all that bothered them... :)

brian1208
29th October 2013, 12:49 PM
rather confirms what those of us who have it already knew - it is "The One" :)

an interesting review though

photo_owl
29th October 2013, 01:47 PM
On paper the version of adapter should have no bearing on performance. But I suppose there could be a problem with yours?

Ian

I am using both adapters and haven't noticed and practical difference either way in their focusinf performance

Peter_Hartland
29th October 2013, 03:42 PM
I have noticed a marked difference in the dynamic range when taking images for HDR, where I had to take more images with the M5 to cover the whole range, on the EM1 with HDR now built in can easily cover the whole range in +/-3 stops

Chevvyf1
29th October 2013, 04:12 PM
I am using an MMF 2 purchased from a Member here and No probs with 4/3 glass !

David Morison
29th October 2013, 04:28 PM

Ian

This is the main reason why I prefer to use my Canon 400mm on the E-M1 instead of the 7D, the difference is very marked even allowing for the extra reach. Olympus please make one!

David

Chevvyf1
29th October 2013, 04:58 PM
This is the main reason why I prefer to use my Canon 400mm on the E-M1 instead of the 7D, the difference is very marked even allowing for the extra reach. Olympus please make one!

David

I am so thinking of buying this Canon lens ! :eek:

dogsbody
29th October 2013, 07:47 PM

David

Just when I thought gadget acquisition syndrome (GAS) was abating. When you put the canon on do all of the focus functions on the camera work?

your BIF results are so good my GAS is getting dramatically worse.

many thanks.

Peter_Hartland
29th October 2013, 07:56 PM
Can the Canon lenses autofocus & set F-Stop with an adaptor on the M1?

Jim Ford
29th October 2013, 10:45 PM
This is what dpreview found to quibble about:

Interface and controls can be overwhelming initially
In-camera Raw conversion interface is somewhat unintuitive
Auto focus with Four Thirds lenses is slow in dim conditions with tricky subjects
Only one SD card slot
Inconveniently-placed power switch
Disappointing video quality
Multi-screen live view interface looks very dated (e.g. can't combine electronic level and histogram)

If that's all that bothered them... :)

I notice dpreview have given up their snivelling about 'long' start up times because of the sensor cleaning!

Jim

bilbo
29th October 2013, 10:51 PM
I notice dpreview have given up their snivelling about 'long' start up times because of the sensor cleaning!

Jim
I think they should use a report template that starts:

'I hate giving Olympus kit a decent review but:....'

*chr

David Morison
30th October 2013, 06:45 AM
Just when I thought gadget acquisition syndrome (GAS) was abating. When you put the canon on do all of the focus functions on the camera work?

your BIF results are so good my GAS is getting dramatically worse.

many thanks.

No, I have to manually focus and there is no control over aperture so it's always wide open -but at f5.6 it is unlikely that you would want stop down more than 1 stop.

David