PDA

View Full Version : E-M1 Button Settings

StephenL
28th October 2013, 03:21 PM
As any present owner has found out, and any new owner will soon discover, there are a myriad of options when allocating button function.

I thought it might be useful to list how I have set mine. (It will probably change the more I use the camera).

Fn1 = Magnify
Fn2 = ISO
Rec = Multi - but normally set to Colour Creator
Top lens throat = Peaking
Bottom lens throat = DoF preview
AEL/AFL set to Spot Meter AE Lock
Lever set to Function 5 with position 2 to whichever focus mode I want, normally MF
Arrows are set to single focus point positioning

Let's have yours!

Chevvyf1
28th October 2013, 06:06 PM
So far only fn2 for Magnify :) all the blackouts mean it not worth setting up more - just yet, until my body stabilizes :)

StephenL
28th October 2013, 06:23 PM
So far only fn2 for Magnify :) all the blackouts mean it not worth setting up more - just yet, until my body stabilizes :)

Fair comment! Chevvy, have you reported your lock-ups directly to Olympus? Probably more chance of them coming up with a solution than hoping that comments on this forum are noticed. That goes for everyone experiencing glitches. :)

Chevvyf1
28th October 2013, 06:55 PM
Fair comment! Chevvy, have you reported your lock-ups directly to Olympus? Probably more chance of them coming up with a solution than hoping that comments on this forum are noticed. That goes for everyone experiencing glitches. :)

My NY body and 75 lens arrive on Wednesday :) so I shall use that ONE the same as this ONE and compare. maybe from a different batch it shall be OK :) I am using simple settings :) It seems much better with S AF L on 98 mps chips :)

TBH I thought it was probably me, :rolleyes: ... and said nothing until Brian posted his problems. Given that Olympus "provide" here and as Ian says "visit regularly" - I have not yet bothered Olympus, who must be so very busy !

I may return my first ONE to SRS, for a refund or replacement at some date soon - as it appears NOTHING is forthcoming on this, from Olympus.

I feel it is a great shame. I feel this is another Olympus OM successor and could well take the World by storm as the OM series did :) It would be so nice to hear from Olympus.

I am rather too busy to sit on a phone to Olympus.

StephenL
28th October 2013, 07:04 PM
So, if you're not prepared to report it to Olympus technical support, who are easy to reach via phone or email, am I correct in interpreting this as you not being really interested in a solution? It only took me 5 minutes to phone Olympus.

Anyway, this post was intended to help others who wanted a suggestion for button settings, but it appears to have been hijacked.

Chevvyf1
28th October 2013, 07:13 PM
So, if you're not prepared to report it to Olympus technical support, who are easy to reach via phone or email, am I correct in interpreting this as you not being really interested in a solution? It only took me 5 minutes to phone Olympus.

Anyway, this post was intended to help others who wanted a suggestion for button settings, but it appears to have been hijacked.

Sorry no hijack intended. and NO ! I am not into duplicating and it may be me :(

David Morison
28th October 2013, 07:55 PM
Fn1 - My1 (BIF)
Fn2 - My2
Rec - DTC
AEL - Peaking
Upper lens throat - Magnify
Lower lens throat - My3
Arrow right - Flash
Arrow down - ISO

These will now doubt change and be added to if and when I receive and decide to use the HLD-7

David

StephenL
28th October 2013, 08:00 PM
I admire your use of Mysets. I can never remember what I've set them to!

Gwyver
13th December 2013, 06:45 PM
Fn1 = AF Set Home
Rec = MySet1 (Normal, Aperture Priority stuff)
Fn2 = MySet2 (Action stuff - with Shutter priority etc)
Upper Front = MF (I use this in conjunction with MF Assist = Magnify) This is handy when using older types of lenses that don't have multimode focus rings.
Lever = Mode1 (This is so that in Manual shooting mode I can switch the Lever to position 2 and then adjust the ISO setting from the front wheel.)
By this means you can achieve the equivalent of 'exposure compensation' whilst retaining the desired shutter speed & aperture. I normally shoot RAW using "Expose_To_The_Right" with the histogram superimposed in the EVF.

Phill D
13th December 2013, 09:07 PM
I've just left mine the way it was for now. This thread will be interesting to keep up with over Christmas so I can have a play at changing things around.