PDA

View Full Version : E-M1 concerns.

paullus
27th October 2013, 11:38 AM
I am reading many posts describing problems with the IBIS and lock-ups on the E-M1 as I wait patiently for my 12-40 kit to arrive. I understand now that I probably won't be getting mine until towards the end of November. I thus assume that production is probably working flat out to meet demand.
What therefore concerns me is, are Olympus addressing the faults manifesting in the E-M1 in the current production run. Because I would be extremely unhappy to receive a camera for which I paid nearly 2000 two months in advance with a known fault. In which case I for one would prefer to wait for a "fixed" camera rather than have to experience the problems and inconvenience other early adopters are sadly suffering.
It would be reassuring to hear that Olympus working on a fix.

Steve

StephenL
27th October 2013, 11:44 AM
I've got to say that my one lock-up has failed to repeat itself. I did try to replicate the conditions yesterday, but all was well. And other, more vociferous, forums are quiet on this issue.

brian1208
27th October 2013, 12:31 PM
I'm not convinced this is a generic problem Steve, as Stephen said, its too quiet out there in the wilder reaches of the forums for there to be a common fault

jamsa
27th October 2013, 01:08 PM
I am reading many posts describing problems with the IBIS and lock-ups on the E-M1 as I wait patiently for my 12-40 kit to arrive. I understand now that I probably won't be getting mine until towards the end of November. I thus assume that production is probably working flat out to meet demand.
What therefore concerns me is, are Olympus addressing the faults manifesting in the E-M1 in the current production run. Because I would be extremely unhappy to receive a camera for which I paid nearly 2000 two months in advance with a known fault. In which case I for one would prefer to wait for a "fixed" camera rather than have to experience the problems and inconvenience other early adopters are sadly suffering.
It would be reassuring to hear that Olympus working on a fix.

Steve

I have to agree 100% with you and have been on various threads here with some concerns. With cameras only days and weeks old with some issues there are many more "out there" who may have had as yet unreported problems. It would be very odd if the only issues are the few "E users" on this forum. If they have been sold in low numbers ( due to demand) then the faulted ones consist of a higher percentage ( not good news) alternatively the quality control hasn't been great and cameras that Olympus would not want to be sold, have been...also not great.
Your last sentence is spot on, ("It would be reassuring to hear that Olympus working on a fix.") but in the meantime I will be amending my order tomorrow and no longer risking 2000!!

DavyG
27th October 2013, 01:44 PM
I've had my E-M1 since 5th October and to date the camera has worked perfectly, no problems with lock ups or ibis.

I've tested all of my lenses from the Bigma to the ZD 9-18 and I've been more than happy with how it's performed.

I tested the camera tethered to an ipad several times, each time for at least two hours, again it did all I asked of it.

I realise that I haven't tried tracking and photographing moving subjects as yet therefore, I may not have put the camera under the stresses required to cause the problems however, as mentioned previously, my E-M1 seems fine.

Dave

Stu
27th October 2013, 01:47 PM
Can I ask why you paid for the camera two months in advance? Normally you pay a small deposit which sometimes might not be returnable if you change your mind.

jamsa
27th October 2013, 01:57 PM
Can I ask why you paid for the camera two months in advance? Normally you pay a small deposit which sometimes might not be returnable if you change your mind.

Some folk ordered the camera in advance and payments were taken by some retailers and Olympus within days...things were compounded by un-forecast delays in getting the cameras.
My large deposit was taken 24 hrs after I ordered the camera kit in mid Sept....I was told last week not to expect the camera until towards the end of November. (As previously said I am sorting that tmw).

paullus
27th October 2013, 02:37 PM

Olympus Shop took the full amount from my card on 30th September.
The explanation being, to secure the order. Apparently if the payment isn't applied for within a specified period, 28 days I think the order would be voided and have to placed again.

Steve

Stu
27th October 2013, 05:09 PM
Yes 30 days after the order was placed:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/distance-selling-regulations/

Stu
27th October 2013, 05:11 PM
Well they should not have taken your money that early. Just that I am ex photographic retail and it annoys me when this happens to people:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/distance-selling-regulations/

ozzie
29th October 2013, 04:55 AM
I've had my E-M1 since 5th October and to date the camera has worked perfectly, no problems with lock ups or ibis.

I've tested all of my lenses from the Bigma to the ZD 9-18 and I've been more than happy with how it's performed.

I tested the camera tethered to an ipad several times, each time for at least two hours, again it did all I asked of it.

I realise that I haven't tried tracking and photographing moving subjects as yet therefore, I may not have put the camera under the stresses required to cause the problems however, as mentioned previously, my E-M1 seems fine.

Dave
Hi Dave
I have just tried my four third lenses and was not impressed . I must admit I had AF single point large And have now changed to small and will Try again tomorrow.
My 7-14 was worst would not lock on to anything unless there's was a large contrast area. My normal landscape technique is to focus one third into the scene and recompose that was impossible unless there was a large contrast area there which the camera could focus on ,this would not be the case very often.
The 50-200 again needed large contrast area but was a bit better . The big surprise was how good the Bigma was I was expecting it to be the worst but it focused nearly as quick as the e5
If you have a setting that works best please let me know as confidence is a bit low at this stage.
I have to add I am using the MMF 1 just wondering if that is the problem as the manual says MMF 2/3 however I thought they were only contact adapters
Cheers
John

Grumpy Hec
29th October 2013, 07:38 AM
Some folk ordered the camera in advance and payments were taken by some retailers and Olympus within days...things were compounded by un-forecast delays in getting the cameras.
My large deposit was taken 24 hrs after I ordered the camera kit in mid Sept....I was told last week not to expect the camera until towards the end of November. (As previously said I am sorting that tmw).

Just to complete the picture I ordered my body with grip and mmf-3 on 11 Sept. My card, via PayPal, was debited for the full amount at the time of the order. To be precise 12:42 on 11th Sept.

I will not go over very well trodden ground again on the rest of the story.

However I can report that according to the excellent Andre at the Olympus shop I should have my complete order this Friday. Whether or not I get it before lunchtime when I leave to go to Yorkshire for the weekend is unknown.

Assuming it does arrive then it will be seven weeks since order and payment.

Hec

Ian
29th October 2013, 09:22 AM
Hi Dave
I have just tried my four third lenses and was not impressed . I must admit I had AF single point large And have now changed to small and will Try again tomorrow.
My 7-14 was worst would not lock on to anything unless there's was a large contrast area. My normal landscape technique is to focus one third into the scene and recompose that was impossible unless there was a large contrast area there which the camera could focus on ,this would not be the case very often.
The 50-200 again needed large contrast area but was a bit better . The big surprise was how good the Bigma was I was expecting it to be the worst but it focused nearly as quick as the e5
If you have a setting that works best please let me know as confidence is a bit low at this stage.
I have to add I am using the MMF 1 just wondering if that is the problem as the manual says MMF 2/3 however I thought they were only contact adapters
Cheers
John

This is quite contrary to the vast majority of experiences, including mine. There has to be something not normal with your setup.

Ian

Ian
29th October 2013, 09:26 AM
I can't speak for retail dealers but as for the Olympus online shop, their system deletes orders that have not been paid for after one month. Most orders would have expired this way without payment being accepted because initial supplies were later than expected.

I don't believe there would be any problem in you getting your money back if you no longer wanted to be in the waiting list.

It's not ideal but although there have been quite a few comments on this I don't hear many reports of people choosing to get their money refunded.

Ian

Stu
29th October 2013, 09:33 AM
Does seem strange. have used the larger focus area with a 14-54mm and the only way I could not get it to lock was on really low contrast subjects or a horizontal line. Then I just look for something else at the same distance to focus on and reframe the shot. I am also using the MMF-1.

bilbo
29th October 2013, 09:45 AM
Hi Dave
Cheers
JohnThis isn't a very inspiring shot I know :rolleyes:, but this is with the 50-200mm SWD plus EC-14 at 283mm. Exposure comp +1 to get some detail in the mast. Small central focus target.

Focussing was fast, I think the resolution is very good. The guy cables are about as thick as your wrist from memory. Distance is 6-7 miles. It was just starting to rain.

Out of camera jpeg resized for posting

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1690/PA290257.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/67051)

100% crop

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1690/PA290257-crop100.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/67050)

DavyG
29th October 2013, 02:12 PM
Hi Dave
Cheers
John

Hi John,

Sorry for not replying sooner, I've just spotted your post.

I don't believe I'm doing anything special settings wise, just single af with small focus point, like you I'm using an MMF1.

I've jumped from an E510 to the E-M1 and finding the E-M1 works fine, I've mostly photographed small garden birds and fungi perhaps that's why I'm not experiencing the difficulties which others are experiencing.

I'll try to take some landscape shots over the next couple of days and see how these go.

Dave

Peter_Hartland
29th October 2013, 03:34 PM
Had my EM 1 now since beginning of Oct & used it a lot since then without any problems. In fact less than I had with the EM 5 which still occasionally has a white out screen & I have to switch off & on to clear.

DavyG
31st October 2013, 04:08 PM
Hi Dave
Cheers
John

Hi John,

I tried taking some landscape pics yesterday using both the 9-18 and 50-200 lenses.

I did experience some instances where the lenses wouldn't lock on immediately and would hunt if I tried focusing on an area of low contrast however, by adjusting my point of focus I was able to take the shots I wanted.

What did become evident was that I am very rusty where photography is concerned and that I need to remember the basics before trying anything new, my attempts at capturing bif's were awful, if anyone has any pointers I'd welcome the advice.

Dave

ozzie
31st October 2013, 08:02 PM
Thanks Dave
I posted elsewhere that the problem was dirty contacts on the mmf1.
I am happy with the AF now however it is not as good as the E5 in my opinion .
The 12-40 is another story altogether this is a great lens with instant focus looking forward to the 40-150 as that will be my main kit
Cheers
John

bilbo
31st October 2013, 08:42 PM
Hi John,

I tried taking some landscape pics yesterday using both the 9-18 and 50-200 lenses.

I did experience some instances where the lenses wouldn't lock on immediatelyI can't think of any situation where I would need an instant lock on a landscape. *ohwell

ozzie
31st October 2013, 09:01 PM
I can't think of any situation where I would need an instant lock on a landscape. *ohwell

When using a tripod I will loosen the ball and focus one third into the scene normally steight down fron my final composition hold focus and bring camera back to where I want simple and it works for me.
If you have to swing left and right and then find a bit of scene with vertical lines before getting AF then you may as well use manual focus.
And no you don't need instant focus for landscape however with the sort of camera you can buy today for $1599.00 aus body only I believe instant focus would be a granted. I can't rember a time when my e5 didn't lock when required for the photography I do.
So far I an impressed with the EM1 but it does not focus four thirds lenses as well as my E 5
Cheers
John

DavyG
31st October 2013, 09:42 PM
I can't think of any situation where I would need an instant lock on a landscape. *ohwell

Nor can I.

If you read the connected posts you'll see that I was trying to help John by attempting to recreate the conditions and results he had experienced.

If you have any advice regarding how to improve my feeble attempts at photographing bif, that would be greatly appreciated. ;)

*chr

bilbo
31st October 2013, 10:06 PM
BIF/Landscape...

I can do one of them reasonably well..but OK yes - bif - I need to practice. :)

DavyG
31st October 2013, 10:55 PM
BIF/Landscape...

I can do one of them reasonably well..but OK yes - bif - I need to practice. :)

Thanks for the response Brian, any tips on landscape photography are also welcome. :D

Dave

Anne
1st November 2013, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the response Brian, any tips on landscape photography are also welcome. :D

Dave

Hi Dave,
I don't have the M1 only the M5, however for landscape photography I have set up one of the function buttons for S AF and then set the focus to manual. I then focus roughly on 1/3 in or on an close up on an object at the bottom of my photo and just leave it set like that if I don't change my viewpoint. If I do I will use the function button to quickly re-focus but unless I switch off the camera, MF stays set. After practice this is becoming easier to do. I think it was AndyM who suggested this when we went to the E M1 day in London....apologies if it was someone else!

I think both cameras will use contrast AF with M4/3's lenses so it may be a technique worth trying with the M1.

At the London day, the M1 didn't easily focus on either the vertical or horizontal...I can't remember which but it was easy to move the focus point which solved the problem. Ian confirmed this would happen, something to do with the way phase detection works? But it didn't seem a major problem on what was a very nice camera :)

Apologies if this wasn't the sort of tip you wanted but it has really helped me.

DavyG
1st November 2013, 08:48 PM
Hi Dave,
I don't have the M1 only the M5, however for landscape photography I have set up one of the function buttons for S AF and then set the focus to manual. I then focus roughly on 1/3 in or on an close up on an object at the bottom of my photo and just leave it set like that if I don't change my viewpoint. If I do I will use the function button to quickly re-focus but unless I switch off the camera, MF stays set. After practice this is becoming easier to do. I think it was AndyM who suggested this when we went to the E M1 day in London....apologies if it was someone else!

I think both cameras will use contrast AF with M4/3's lenses so it may be a technique worth trying with the M1.

At the London day, the M1 didn't easily focus on either the vertical or horizontal...I can't remember which but it was easy to move the focus point which solved the problem. Ian confirmed this would happen, something to do with the way phase detection works? But it didn't seem a major problem on what was a very nice camera :)

Apologies if this wasn't the sort of tip you wanted but it has really helped me.

Thanks Anne, I appreciate the tip and will experiment with this when I'm next out with my E-M1.

I'm sadly lacking practice as I've hardly used my camera equipment over the last year, this was apparent when I went out with my E-M1 earlier this week, I was so busy trying new things that I forgot some very basic principles, a valuable lesson learned I think.

Thanks again.

Dave