PDA

View Full Version : EM1 problems

ozzie
26th October 2013, 02:18 AM
My Em 1 should arrive Monday .
I have been reading on this forum the lock up problem however there doesn't seem to be threads on other forums with the same problem!

Do you believe it is a batch problem in the UK or is it that members on this forum are exploring in depth features of the camera and finding the faults

Cheers
John

Ross the fiddler
26th October 2013, 04:52 AM
I made the tough decision to not go ahead with my order today (the camera was waiting for me) although my wife was happy for me to get the camera if I really wanted it, but with all the 'stuff' I have in the house it feels like it becomes a little bit of a burden & nearby bushfires brought it home to me knowing that I can only take a few things with me if I have to run (or a little bit more if I drive) & the thought of yet another camera to carry out made me think if I really needed it. I decided the E-M5 will serve me (with an E30 for backup) for now (even though the E-M1 would make better use of my 4/3's lenses be be a great camera to use), but I do remember that there were a few little issues with the E-M5 in the beginning with a few IS systems failing & of course, the over-tightened screws for the display bezel (I still have to get mine fixed), so I wouldn't get too concerned with those few examples of issues. It was noted that others in the US did not appear to be experiencing these issues so maybe it is batch related. Let's hope yours will serve you well & we'll be looking forward to seeing photos from it & reading of your experiences with it.

PS The firies & choppers are still working hard on containment lines to the north & east of the fires to keep them contained but thankfully things are much more relaxed where we are for now.

G2EWS
26th October 2013, 05:57 AM
Hi John,

Two UK friends and me have not had a problem so far with our EM1's.

Regards

Chris

ozzie
26th October 2013, 06:09 AM
I made the tough decision to not go ahead with my order today (the camera was waiting for me) although my wife was happy for me to get the camera if I really wanted it, but with all the 'stuff' I have in the house it feels like it becomes a little bit of a burden & nearby bushfires brought it home to me knowing that I can only take a few things with me if I have to run (or a little bit more if I drive) & the thought of yet another camera to carry out made me think if I really needed it. I decided the E-M5 will serve me (with an E30 for backup) for now (even though the E-M1 would make better use of my 4/3's lenses be be a great camera to use), but I do remember that there were a few little issues with the E-M5 in the beginning with a few IS systems failing & of course, the over-tightened screws for the display bezel (I still have to get mine fixed), so I wouldn't get too concerned with those few examples of issues. It was noted that others in the US did not appear to be experiencing these issues so maybe it is batch related. Let's hope yours will serve you well & we'll be looking forward to seeing photos from it & reading of your experiences with it.

PS The firies & choppers are still working hard on containment lines to the north & east of the fires to keep them contained but thankfully things are much more relaxed where we are for now.

Glad to hear your ok Ross I have been thinking of you and wondered how you got on. Television coverage as usual always shows the worst scenes however what you guys have gone through is nightmarish
Looking forward to the new camera I passed on the em5 because of my lens collection but this one looks the money to me
Cheers
John

ozzie
26th October 2013, 06:10 AM
Hi John,

Two UK friends and me have not had a problem so far with our EM1's.

Regards

Chris

Thanks Chris
Hoping mine is ok as well
Cheers
John

Ross the fiddler
26th October 2013, 06:54 AM
Glad to hear your ok Ross I have been thinking of you and wondered how you got on. Television coverage as usual always shows the worst scenes however what you guys have gone through is nightmarish
Looking forward to the new camera I passed on the em5 because of my lens collection but this one looks the money to me
Cheers
John

It was rather sudden & dramatic when the fire started in Springwood & took out 193 houses (with several of my friends losing theirs) & damaged 109 & the fire from Lithgow has grown to be rather large, but thankfully the large contingent of units & aircraft during this last week has saved it repeating the outcome.

If I'd have passed on the E-M5 I would definitely have gone for the E-M1 too. It just seemed a little extravagant to add it to my kit at the moment. Maybe next year I might change my mind, but it is a good deal with the HLD-7 grip or MMF-3 adapter bonus this month.

wellyboot
26th October 2013, 10:20 AM
It was rather sudden & dramatic when the fire started in Springwood & took out 193 houses (with several of my friends losing theirs) & damaged 109 & the fire from Lithgow has grown to be rather large, but thankfully the large contingent of units & aircraft during this last week has saved it repeating the outcome.

If I'd have passed on the E-M5 I would definitely have gone for the E-M1 too. It just seemed a little extravagant to add it to my kit at the moment. Maybe next year I might change my mind, but it is a good deal with the HLD-7 grip or MMF-3 adapter bonus this month.

Sorry to hear about your friends Ross, and the fear everyone must have been through. I am glad things are calmer now.
Take care
Marcia

Ross the fiddler
26th October 2013, 11:04 AM
Sorry to hear about your friends Ross, and the fear everyone must have been through. I am glad things are calmer now.
Take care
Marcia

Thanks Marcia.

jamsa
28th October 2013, 01:07 PM
I took the decision to cancel my 12-40 kit order today and have done so. I did ask for a body only atm. with cash saved I have bought an alternative (of which I have one already and has never failed.)
If my confidence in the EM1 is lowered any more then I will scrap the body only order too and then sell my remaining Olympus gear.
I would ask for some updates on the issues reported here re supply and the technical thoughts on the issues of locking up and ibis etc. It might help everyone..... Please, I know I am just one worried customer... Maybe not important but it would be nice to know what the techies think or are doing.

brian1208
28th October 2013, 02:04 PM
My EM-1 body went off via DHL to Portugal this morning, so hopefully I will have a nice new, working camera in my hands to test within the week

So far Olympus tech support have been very good, well done Chris

jamsa
28th October 2013, 02:39 PM
But a pity that it had to go off in the first place. ;)

brian1208
28th October 2013, 02:45 PM
A price one sometimes pays for being an early adopter with anything, not just cameras. Its well known that we are the final stage Beta Testers, that's why there is usually a "Special New Release Offer" ;)

Its not the first time a new camera has had to go back (in fact its my 3rd and possibly even 4th, but my memory is a bit shaky that far back :P )

bilbo
28th October 2013, 03:26 PM
A price one sometimes pays for being an early adopter with anything, not just cameras. Its well known that we are the final stage Beta Testers, that's why there is usually a "Special New Release Offer" ;)

Its not the first time a new camera has had to go back (in fact its my 3rd and possibly even 4th, but my memory is a bit shaky that far back :P )They should employ you as an Alpha Tester Brian :D

David M
28th October 2013, 09:58 PM
I remember some Nikon users having to revert to (and in one case having to buy back) their F2's after some early F3's had problems.