PDA

View Full Version : E-M1 at ISO100

StephenL
23rd October 2013, 02:49 PM
I thought I'd try the "Low" ISO setting today, as it's quite a bright afternoon. As we all know, this is ISO 100, but not much fuss has been made of it. I was pleasantly surprised at just how much detail this speed gives. I was lead to understand that images taken at this speed could be soft, but that's not my experience.

1/250, f5.6, Panasonic 12-35 @12mm, uncropped. Minimal Lightroom adjustments, just a touch of Clarity, as is my wont.

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/em1-230003.jpg

Graham_of_Rainham
23rd October 2013, 03:15 PM
What's all those brown things littering the grass, they are all still green and stuck on the trees down here in darkest Essex.

Considering many of us used Kodachrome 64 & 25 and had little need for the super fast ISO that we can now use, it's nice to see someone that appreciates the capability of the camera and can use it to get good results.

*chr

SteveJ
23rd October 2013, 04:21 PM
At last a photo taken with the E-M1 i have been waiting for someone to actually post an image taken with the camera. Did you have to photoshop in the blue sky :D

Steve

G2EWS
23rd October 2013, 05:10 PM
I have been informed that with both Canon and Nikon, when you go the extremes, outside the 'normal' ISO settings you will be impairing the image.

They are only there for the purpose of marketing!

Whilst I obviously cannot mention who, I have been told this by senior personnel at both companies.

I wonder, but don't know if this is the same with our EM-1 and EM-5's? I suspect it will be the same otherwise why don't they put it into the standard spec.

Best regards

Chris

Ulfric M Douglas
23rd October 2013, 05:42 PM
...I was lead to understand that images taken at this speed could be soft, but that's not my experience.
That's a completely bizarre understanding, glad you've dropped that idea.

I only own one "ISO 200 min" camera, and from using it over some time I realise that for my way of taking photos I really need the 100 so my next camera will probably be the e-P5 for that single reason.
Tried the E-M5 ages ago and that missing ISO range just fudged it up compared to my ancient e-P2 ...

G2EWS
23rd October 2013, 05:57 PM
That's a completely bizarre understanding, glad you've dropped that idea.

I only own one "ISO 200 min" camera, and from using it over some time I realise that for my way of taking photos I really need the 100 so my next camera will probably be the e-P5 for that single reason.
Tried the E-M5 ages ago and that missing ISO range just fudged it up compared to my ancient e-P2 ...

But that is the point of my post above yours. I believe you will find that it will have some kind of distortion be that softness or noise, because the EM1 does not go down to ISO100 in it's normal range. It is being electronically pushed to that level in it's extended range.

If you want an ISO100 camera then you need to buy one that has it within it's normal, not extended range. Otherwise you are going to get some form of distortion somewhere.

Best regards

Chris

StephenL
23rd October 2013, 06:13 PM
But that is the point of my post above yours. I believe you will find that it will have some kind of distortion be that softness or noise, because the EM1 does not go down to ISO100 in it's normal range. It is being electronically pushed to that level in it's extended range.

If you want an ISO100 camera then you need to buy one that has it within it's normal, not extended range. Otherwise you are going to get some form of distortion somewhere.

Best regards

Chris
OK, I'll not use it again. It's obviously distorted.

crimbo
23rd October 2013, 06:17 PM
I suppose we really need you to do an ISO 100 and ISO 200 side by side pixel peeped comparison

OTOH it looks good at web size...what do you think of it at full size?

andym
23rd October 2013, 06:19 PM
I must admit I though that the low extended ISO didn't make things soft which I think Stephens picture shows but did affect the dynamic range.

But I could be wrong.;););)

StephenL
23rd October 2013, 06:21 PM
I suppose we really need you to do an ISO 100 and ISO 200 side by side pixel peeped comparison

OTOH it looks good at web size...what do you think of it at full size?

I've printed it at A3+, and I'm sorry to say that to me it looks crisp and noiseless. No streaking or barring. :(

StephenL
23rd October 2013, 06:24 PM
I must admit I though that the low extended ISO didn't make things soft which I think Stephens picture shows but did affect the dynamic range.

But I could be wrong.;););)
That's certainly possible. This shot isn't particularly challenging in the DR aspects. But where I expected detail, there is detail.

I have read in another forum that only jpegs seem to suffer. Raw files are fine.

Ulfric M Douglas
23rd October 2013, 08:26 PM
..I believe you will find that it will have some kind of distortion be that softness or noise, because the EM1 does not go down to ISO100 in it's normal range. It is being electronically pushed to that level in it's extended range.

I think not, the only drawback seems to be a squishing of maximum dynamic range, with no affect at all on pixel sharpness and the like.
There also seems to be some noise reduction (not increase) in earlier models which used the technique.
(Same in some Canon, Nikon and Sony models, but people keep quiet ;) )

G2EWS
23rd October 2013, 09:13 PM
I think not, the only drawback seems to be a squishing of maximum dynamic range, with no affect at all on pixel sharpness and the like.
There also seems to be some noise reduction (not increase) in earlier models which used the technique.
(Same in some Canon, Nikon and Sony models, but people keep quiet ;) )

Sorry my friend, but as mentioned both Canon and Nikon have stated that you shouldn't use the 'extended' range as it will compromise picture quality. It is there only for marketing purposes in competing against each other.

You will appreciate it that these statements were obviously not official!

You may take that information or leave it as you see fit.

Best regards

Chris

kbouk
23rd October 2013, 09:25 PM
So can someone explain me why expanded LOW ISO (100) shows significantly more detail compared to the standard ISO of 200?

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/olympus-e-m1/olympus-e-m1A.HTM#IQC

According to imagine-resource all images on the test are best quality JPEGs straight out of the camera, at default settings including noise reduction.

crimbo
23rd October 2013, 09:40 PM
ah well...that says it all....

pdk42
23rd October 2013, 11:32 PM
I seem to remember some examples posted by Ian from the E-P5 at ISO 100 and 200. It seemed to show quite clearly that ISO 100 is really ISO 200 overexposed by a stop and then pulled back in post processing. As a result, the DR suffered, but not sharpness or other IQ aspects.

In fact, I set my em-5 to overexpose by half a stop as default and frequently add more as guided by the flashing blinkies (I've come to love EVFs). Highlight recovery on its files works pretty well in my experience. The same can't be said of my old Canon 5dii, although that camera's real Achilles heel was its shadow recovery abilities - any serious pushing of those led to some horrible banding.