PDA

View Full Version : HLD-7 Battery Grip

Olybirder
22nd October 2013, 09:53 PM
There doesn't appear to be a dedicated thread for the HLD-7 Battery Grip yet, so I thought that I would start one. Perhaps other owners would like to post their experiences with the item, good or bad. Apologies to those who are still awaiting the arrival of theirs.

I received mine today and have not had a chance to use it properly yet. However, I did fit it to the E-M1 with the 50-200 SWD tonight and it is a very impressive piece of kit. It completely transforms the camera body and the size and weight with it attached is not far off my E-30.

It seems very solidly constructed and is well thought out. Even the battery door has a detent position which holds it open while you fit the battery. There is a switch to lock the grip while the camera is being used in landscape mode, so that the dials and buttons are not accidentally activated.

There is a storage space for the rubber PBH cover on the bottom of the camera which has to be removed to fit the grip. Unfortunately, I haven't found anywhere to store the plastic cover for the pins on the grip.

The surfaces which you hold are covered in a similar, grippy, rubberised finish to the camera and feel nice to the touch. It really does transform the grip position in portrait mode and is very comfortable to hold. However, one thing I have noticed is that the shutter button requires a much firmer press than the one on the camera. This might just be my example, so I will be interested to hear if other owners have the same experience.

I think that is enough for the moment. I am looking forward to trying it for real in the coming days.

Ron

Grumpy Hec
23rd October 2013, 06:55 AM
Thanks for this Ron. A good idea to start a thread for the grip.

One question. Is the tripod thread in the same relative position as the one on the actual body ?

I lied there are two questions :rolleyes: Can you change batteries on either the body and grip if you have tripod quick release plate attached. I always have a plate on my camera as I use tripods a lot and on my E3 I can change batteries with no hindrance. Obviously the choice of plate has a bearing on this but it would be a real drag to have to take the plate off to pop a new battery in.

cheers

Hec

bilbo
23rd October 2013, 06:58 AM
There is a storage space for the rubber PBH cover on the bottom of the camera which has to be removed to fit the grip.Thanks for that Ron - I totally missed that design feature. So that's one cover I won't lose at least... :)

bilbo
23rd October 2013, 07:03 AM
Thanks for this Ron. A good idea to start a thread for the grip.

One question. Is the tripod thread in the same relative position as the one on the actual body ?

I lied there are two questions :rolleyes: Can you change batteries on either the body and grip if you have tripod quick release plate attached. I always have a plate on my camera as I use tripods a lot and on my E3 I can change batteries with no hindrance. Obviously the choice of plate has a bearing on this but it would be a real drag to have to take the plate off to pop a new battery in.

cheers

Hec

The tripod thread on the grip is in line with the lens axis - unlike the thread on the body which is offset.

The battery door is on the left hand side of the grip (not the back like the E-3) and you can change the battery while it's mounted on the tripod if you like...

Grumpy Hec
23rd October 2013, 07:20 AM
The tripod thread on the grip is in line with the lens axis - unlike the thread on the body which is offset.

The battery door is on the left hand side of the grip (not the back like the E-3) and you can change the battery while it's mounted on the tripod if you like...

Excellent, great answer - thanks Brian.

An offset tripod thread is not ideal for panoramas but the solution is at hand via the grip.

cheers

Hec

Melaka
23rd October 2013, 07:38 AM
Apart from being significantly larger there doesn't seem to be much difference between the HLD7 and the HLD6. If you're using FT lenses the additon of the HLD7 (PBH) makes the EM1 more comfortable to hold. I use the intermediate part of the HLD6 on the EM5 but the PBH part less often.

photo_owl
23rd October 2013, 08:22 AM
where it really scores is in using the camera in portrait mode

With the battery configuration you have to remove the grip if you use up both batteries, and I have previously left the grips on pretty much permanently... I suspect I may go over to using a single battery in the grip for convinence and overall weight with this one.

Ian
23rd October 2013, 08:28 AM
Excellent, great answer - thanks Brian.

An offset tripod thread is not ideal for panoramas but the solution is at hand via the grip.

cheers

Hec

You could use an adjustable plate system, like the Arca Swiss type QR heads which you can move sideways to align the camera if the tripod mount on the camera is off-set.

Ian

Grumpy Hec
23rd October 2013, 11:33 AM
You could use an adjustable plate system, like the Arca Swiss type QR heads which you can move sideways to align the camera if the tripod mount on the camera is off-set.

Ian

Good point. I guess the effectiveness will depend on the plate and the amount of adjustment required v that possible.

From my perspective I'm anticipating using the grip most if not all of the time as I'm on 43 lenses. That does not address the issue for m43 lenses and/or non grip usage.

Hec

hotbath1962
2nd November 2013, 12:27 PM
I have an AC-1 mains adaptor used with my E-3 and E-5. It fits the HLD-7 and is a 9V unit. Will it be OK to use or do I really need the new AC-3 mains adaptor?

Thanks for any advice!

Philip

photo_owl
2nd November 2013, 03:02 PM
I have an AC-1 mains adaptor used with my E-3 and E-5. It fits the HLD-7 and is a 9V unit. Will it be OK to use or do I really need the new AC-3 mains adaptor?

Thanks for any advice!

Philip

when I asked this question on here the only response pointed out that there was a small difference in the current supplied (500mA lower from the AC-1) but I really can't see that that is going to be relevant in practice. I'm not rushing out to buy an AC-3!

Orogeny
2nd November 2013, 06:06 PM
Hi Ron,

Do you know whether the battery is charged when the Ac adapter is plugged into the grip or does it just keep the camera from running out of juice?

Cheers, Paul.

Orogeny
6th November 2013, 07:16 AM
Hi,

Do any of you lucky enough to have received the grip know whether it will charge the battery when it's attached to the mains?

The battery in my laptop begins charging when it's attached to the mains, likewise my little mobile phone - so I'm wondering whether the grip does the same.

If it does, and you had a 100 voucher burning a hole in your pocket as someone posted above, then an AC adapter starts looking good as another means of charging the battery.

Cheers, Paul.

David Morison
6th November 2013, 07:49 AM
With the E-M5 the PBH was a vital addition, especially the vertical grip section. With the E-M1 the ergonomics as such don't make me feel that I need the HLD-7 to aid the use of the camera even with the bigger 4/3 or legacy lenses and I rarely use the portrait position. So my newly received PBN will remain in it's box for now.

David

Carlos1
6th November 2013, 10:41 AM
Hi all,
Received my hld-7 yesterday, and it greatly increases the balance with larger lenses, I also have larger hands so suits my grip.
Downside, and this has happened a lot over the years including my Canon 1 series.
The shutter release is different, pronounced on the body, recessed on the grip, and releasing in a totally different way.
It is very important to know exactly how and when youre shutter releases,
why put two totally different feels on one camera, Olympus should not have overlooked this, they got it right on the EM-5.
This creates something else to concentrate on when youre shooting and changing orientation should be fluid.
Its a button, put the same one in both parts, SIMPLE, or so it should be.

Olybirder
6th November 2013, 10:50 AM
Thanks Carlos. I am relieved to hear that it not just my copy of the grip which suffers from the stiff shutter button. I am sure I will get used to it in time but it is so different from the extremely sensitive button on the camera that I find it rather difficult to use at the moment.

On the plus side the grip transforms the feel of the camera in portrait mode and I find it much more comfortable to use.

Ron

Carlos1
6th November 2013, 11:25 AM
Exactly Ron,
How Olympus let this go on a pro spec camera is unbeleivable.
Its not even sensitive, you have to push quite hard into the wheel to get it to fire, not very intuitive !!!!
Its like using two different cameras, NOT GOOD OLYMPUS.

Chevvyf1
6th November 2013, 12:59 PM
Ron, I do not like the grip on :(

I have got so used to the lightweight unit - its back in the box :) nice gift :) and it def. makes the ONE look like a pro size bit of kit :)

Peter_Hartland
6th November 2013, 08:34 PM
My free grip arrive yesterday, fist impressions is it feels good & better made than the HLD-6. It will get a good testing next week in Wales & the week after in the Lakes

kbouk
7th November 2013, 03:25 PM
I think if the shutter release is different in the HLD-7 is briliant, I had many problems with unwanted shutter releases on EM-5 (I always forget to lock the grip when I jump to landscape mode), so now the stiffness and the recessed button on the unlocked HLD-7 grip will prevent it.

dkayuk
21st February 2014, 09:09 AM
Hi all,
I've read all the comments on this thread as I am thinking of getting the grip. My experience with the E-5 grip has been quite good. I'd just take out the two batteries, charge them, put them back in.

Does the HLD7 work differently. One of the comments said that you have to remove the grip if you want to recharge both batteries.

I am understanding this correctly?

thx
DK

StephenL
21st February 2014, 09:31 AM
Hi all,
I've read all the comments on this thread as I am thinking of getting the grip. My experience with the E-5 grip has been quite good. I'd just take out the two batteries, charge them, put them back in.

Does the HLD7 work differently. One of the comments said that you have to remove the grip if you want to recharge both batteries.

I am understanding this correctly?

thx
DK
The battery in the grip can be replaced with the grip in place. To replace the camera battery, the grip needs to be removed.

paullus
21st February 2014, 10:06 AM
My HLD-7 arrived with the M1 in November and I immediately fitted it. It has only been off to change the camera battery. I much prefer the grip fitted.

Steve.

DerekW
21st February 2014, 12:36 PM
Can the camera operate with only the battery in the grip installed, trying to reduce the total weight.

Shaw
21st February 2014, 12:48 PM
Can the camera operate with only the battery in the grip installed, trying to reduce the total weight.

Yes, you can use the E-M1 with only the battery in the grip installed.

dkayuk
21st February 2014, 05:32 PM
OK, having to remove the grip if I want to recharge both batteries is a little annoying. I am assuming that this was some necessary engineering compromise.

Looking at this from a different angle:
- if I have two fully charged batteries (one in the grip and one in the camera), does the battery in the grip gets used up first followed by the battery in the camera?

OR is it the other way around? (I hope not!)

OR are the both used at the same time time, in parallel?

thx
DK

David Morison
21st February 2014, 05:38 PM
You can assign a priority to either.

David

Pierre L
21st February 2014, 05:54 PM
OK, having to remove the grip if I want to recharge both batteries is a little annoying. I am assuming that this was some necessary engineering compromise.
thx
DK
I haven't got my E-5 with me, but, from memory, the E-5 grip goes into the E-5 (after you have removed the battery door) and it contains both batteries.

The HDL-7, like the E-M5's grip, is attached to the tripod mount (after removing a rubber cover). So the internal battery remains in situ (but inaccessible without removing the grip). There is space for one battery in the grip and one in the E-M1.
Pierre

Angus
3rd March 2014, 04:01 PM
Just got my HLD-7 at the weekend. First impressions after 2 or 3 hours use are VERY positive!

PROS
1. MUCH better grip in portrait shooting (this is where it really shines)
2. More grip area in landscape shooting
3. Shutter release button feels identical to E-M1 (others have reported differently but mine are identical :-)
4. Ditto for the dials - i.e. feel the same as the dials on the E-M1
5. I like the extra function buttons
6. You can just assign priority to the HLD-7 battery so you can use a single battery in the grip and leave the grip permanently attached. But you have the option for adding a second battery if you're out and about.
7. Quality and finish perfectly matched to E-M1
8. (Superficially speaking...) Gives the camera more of a "Pro" presence

CONS
1. In landscape shooting the base of my palm sometimes half-presses the portrait shutter button. Slightly annoying but using the "Lock" switch avoids this.
2. Unavoidable, but all the other key buttons on the E-M1 body like image playback, "OK", etc. cannot be easily reached when shooting portrait.
3. Adds weight - OF COURSE!

PS: I also just got a FL-600R Flash... it's great too! :D