PDA

View Full Version : Em1 manual printed

jamsa
22nd October 2013, 09:49 PM
This might help....
I saw this on eBay a few minutes ago....
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=321220259152

brian1208
22nd October 2013, 10:22 PM
This might help....
I saw this on eBay a few minutes ago....
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=321220259152

Thanks, a good find but for me it would need to come with an interpreter to explain what the apparently obvious but in reality, total opaque text really means (I have still yet to learn "Olympus-ese" ;) )

jamsa
22nd October 2013, 10:34 PM
I remember that for the E-M5 there was a lot of thread chat about getting a manual.... I will definitely be having one especially if it helps avoid "user fault imagery" :)

Olybirder
22nd October 2013, 10:34 PM
I printed out my own manual at work and, to be honest, they are not making much profit at that price, by the time they have printed them and added the glossy covers and wire binding. I find it much easier to read an A4 printed manual than the tiny version supplied or the pdf onscreen

Ron

jamsa
22nd October 2013, 10:37 PM
I printed out my own manual at work and, to be honest, they are not making much profit at that price, by the time they have printed them and added the glossy covers and wire binding. I find it much easier to read an A4 printed manual than the tiny version supplied or the pdf onscreen

Ron

I agree totally... A4 best size and locally it would cost more so I have just ordered this one.

G2EWS
23rd October 2013, 05:59 AM
I included a pdf of the manual a few months back into the Evernote OMD Notebook

https://www.evernote.com/pub/g2ews/omd

For me, being able to access the pdf on any device via Evernote wherever I am, without carrying a large document seems a better idea. I can of course easily search the manual and thereby get to the exact part I want quickly and easily.

Oh and I agree that is a good price if you really must have a printed version. My guess is, someone is doing it at work without the boss knowing!!

Best regards

Chris

David Morison
23rd October 2013, 06:30 AM
I've ordered one too but I have it in PDF on my iPad also

David

StephenL
23rd October 2013, 06:49 AM
I printed and bound my own, but it was very labour intensive. Still, being retired, I've nothing else to do. :rolleyes:

Ian
23rd October 2013, 08:38 AM
The E-M5 and E-P5, I believe, come with printed manuals. When I had an E-M1 it was pre-release so there was no book in the box. Has nobody seen a printed manual in the box?

The manual is of course copyrighted so printing, binding and selling for a profit is legally questionable.

Ian

StephenL
23rd October 2013, 08:45 AM
The E-M5 and E-P5, I believe, come with printed manuals. When I had an E-M1 it was pre-release so there was no book in the box. Has nobody seen a printed manual in the box?

The manual is of course copyrighted so printing, binding and selling for a profit is legally questionable.

Ian
Just an introductory manual in the box. The full manual is on the CD. I don't recall my E-M5 coming with a printed manual, either.

bilbo
23rd October 2013, 08:53 AM

IanThere's no printed manual in the box (unless you consider the 'this is how you put the battery, card in and lens on' booklet in 95 different languages to be a manual)

I paid over £20 to have the manual printed and bound at Staples, so I don't think that this ebay offering is going to be much of a cash cow at £5 a throw!

I do think that at £1,300 they could afford to put a paper manual in the box though.

G2EWS
23rd October 2013, 09:06 AM
There's no printed manual in the box (unless you consider the 'this is how you put the battery, card in and lens on' booklet in 95 different languages to be a manual)

I paid over 20 to have the manual printed and bound at Staples, so I don't think that this ebay offering is going to be much of a cash cow at 5 a throw!

I do think that at 1.300 they could afford to put a paper manual in the box though.

Hi Brian,

I believe (but cannot confirm) that the big problem with manuals and the like is European law means you have to supply in all languages! A bit of a pain and obviously not a cost effective way of getting manuals out there.

Best regards

Chris

Ian
23rd October 2013, 09:11 AM
Ah, yes - it's the Basic Manual, so only a few pages per language and in multiple languages.

I'm in favour of making a printed manual an option. You should see how much paper some camera boxes contain!

Ian

catkins
23rd October 2013, 09:29 AM
Ah, yes - it's the Basic Manual, so only a few pages per language and in multiple languages.

I'm in favour of making a printed manual an option. You should see how much paper some camera boxes contain!

Ian

Well, perhaps as a forum et al, a printed manual could be supplied to its members free, in return for a donation to the running costs of the forum??

However, for those in or with access to the USA ? Canada, Olympus America provides a printed manual (in English, Spanish or French) for the OMD E-M1 and other cameras for about $10 - see http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_support_manuals.asp?id=1648

Great idea Olympus America . . now Olympus UK or Olympus Europe, how-a-bout a similar service in the UK - the providing of a European wide manual with each camera I can see is problematic in the various language needs, but it is not illegal surely to sell a language specific book!!

Regards
Chris

MarkG
23rd October 2013, 10:34 AM
There is the Busch book as well for OMD EM-5. I expect he's copying and pasting / writing one for the EM-1 as well.

StephenL
23rd October 2013, 10:39 AM
There is the Busch book as well for OMD EM-5. I expect he's copying and pasting / writing one for the EM-1 as well.
Yes, he is. Last I heard he was still waiting his own E-M1 being delivered before he could start ...

OM USer
23rd October 2013, 01:30 PM
I got the printed manual for my E-M5 from the Olympus shop website. I suspect the E-M1 manual will appear in due course.

Iansky
23rd October 2013, 01:48 PM
When I got mine it came with the "Quick User Guide" covering some very basics and the actual manual is on the disk with Olympus Viewer.

I do miss the hard copies as they make easy carrying and ready references in the field so may have to do a print out.

Thanks for sharing the link though.

Wee man
24th October 2013, 08:39 AM
Bought one of these good quality paper looks like lazer printing. Quick delivery. Lots to read while waiting for the magic phone call. Meant to say A4 size handy for reading at home.

jamsa
24th October 2013, 08:56 AM
My two arrived today and impressed.... I could not do that for £5!

Grumpy Hec
25th October 2013, 10:40 AM
I have just got one and I have to say for 5 it's good value. I suspect I could do it cheaper but not by much. Well printed on decent paper and far easier to use than the pdf I have already downloaded and been through.

Ian's point about copyright is of course correct :o

Hec

Glenn S
25th October 2013, 12:24 PM
Got mine today too. I only ordered it on Wednesday, now to try and understand it!

jamsa
25th October 2013, 12:39 PM
By the "sounds" of it I have weeks to read it before I am due to get my kit delivery...!!

Chevvyf1
25th October 2013, 12:45 PM
I have an Easibind & A4 and A5 Combs :D here at home

I have offered to bind many peoples manuals - even laminated front and back covers - just post pages to me and stamps for me to return in same envelope :)

Some people only want a few pages printed and bound :)

Wee man
29th October 2013, 12:57 PM
Found that supplier will also print this in A5 size for 5 including postage I got one so can slip it into camera bag and leave the A4 beside living room chair for browsing when better half watches Downtown................

Peter_Hartland
29th October 2013, 04:42 PM
I ordered my copy of the EM1 manual from http://www.oldtimercameras.com/olympus/?gclid=CL-uidTuxrYCFYjLtAodx0UA1g (http://www.oldtimercameras.com/olympus/?gclid=CL-uidTuxrYCFYjLtAodx0UA1g)

(http://www.oldtimercameras.com/olympus/?gclid=CL-uidTuxrYCFYjLtAodx0UA1g)Good value, they even do a ring bound version for an extra 1.50. Good communications & fast service.