PDA

View Full Version : E-M1, IS, and the 75-300

StephenL
21st October 2013, 09:19 AM
This is an uncropped jpeg of the leaf of the Giant Rhubarb, with no sharpening or exposure corrections applied, of a raw file from my E-M1. It was taken with the 75-300mm Mk2 at 300mm, 1/60 second, f10, ISO 200.

As you can see, there's some fall-off in sharpness at the corners, but no motion blur that I can see. IS was set to SIS1.

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/em1-200307.jpg

wellyboot
21st October 2013, 09:39 AM
Lovely and sharp Stephen, but where on earth did you find sunshine!! :eek:

StephenL
21st October 2013, 09:47 AM
Lovely and sharp Stephen, but where on earth did you find sunshine!! :eek:
It's always sunny in Watfordshire. :rolleyes:

Zuiko
21st October 2013, 09:48 AM
I'd be happy with a lens which can do that. :)

Olybirder
21st October 2013, 09:50 AM
A very impressive demonstration of the 75-300 and IBIS, Stephen. From my very brief experience of it over the weekend the only real problem I can see with the lens is that, with it being rather slow, although the IBIS helps to eliminate camera shake, it won't help with subject movement. Those little birds will keep moving about! It is still a very impressive lens for the money, though, and is so light and portable.

Ron

StephenL
21st October 2013, 10:04 AM
A very impressive demonstration of the 75-300 and IBIS, Stephen. From my very brief experience of it over the weekend the only real problem I can see with the lens is that, with it being rather slow, although the IBIS helps to eliminate camera shake, it won't help with subject movement. Those little birds will keep moving about! It is still a very impressive lens for the money, though, and is so light and portable.

Ron
I find it much more agreeable than the regular 4/3 70-300, and much, much better than the Panasonic 45-200.

It is a great pity it is so slow, but it would be more expensive, and bulkier, were it faster. And as for those wee birds, it's bad enough trying to keep up with Terriers!

Olybirder
21st October 2013, 10:14 AM
I find it much more agreeable than the regular 4/3 70-300, and much, much better than the Panasonic 45-200.

It is a great pity it is so slow, but it would be more expensive, and bulkier, were it faster
I am very impressed by how fast and quiet the focusing is. That was my main issue with he 4/3 70-300: I found the whining noise as it went through the focusing cycle annoying and rather embarrassing in a bird hide. :o

I think the 75-300 is going to be an excellent birding lens for summer use in good light. I might have to resort to my 50-200 SWD and EC-14 in the winter. I will also give the 50-200 a go without the converter and rely on the extra pixels of the E-M1 to crop the images more.

Ron

Olybirder
21st October 2013, 12:52 PM
Sorry if I am taking over your thread Stephen but I have remembered another couple of points about the 75-300.

I knew that the lens hood from the 4/3 70-300 is the same as the one for the 75-300 (LH-61E) and it fits perfectly. However, when I bought the lens on Saturday, the assistant offered me a special deal on a Kenko protection filter for it. I declined as the lens hood should protect the front element for most of the time. Thinking about it, though, I have an expensive B+W clear protection filter on the 70-300 so I can use that if I wish.

When the lens hood is in place on the 75-300 it is difficult to remove the lens cap as it has side pinch clips. I am not sure if the lens cap for the 70-300 is a centre pinch version but, if it is, that will find its way onto the 75-300 too. I will check tonight.

Ron

StephenL
21st October 2013, 01:05 PM
I don't know why Olympus persists in supplying side-pinch caps as standard. If you get the (expensive) genuine hood for the 75mm, they supply you with a replacement centre-pinch cap for exactly the reasons you describe.

brian1208
21st October 2013, 01:58 PM
If I may, a slightly light-hearted observation on this subject.

I discovered on shake effect that the IS system can't manage - "Body Shake", when I went down to our local Windsurfing beach before lunch.

It was blowing a hooley (force 6+ at a guess) gusting and trying to rain and I had forgotten my monopod.

Without that anchor I was being battered about so much with the 75-300 on the end that it was almost impossible to keep the Windsurfers in the EVF and the IBIS system didn't really help! :D

That + it was so dark that I was having to go to ISO800 to 1600 to get the shutter speed needed it was amazing I got anything (but I got one or two not bad ones)

Worse yet, now I'm back there has been a brief moment of clear skies and some sun :mad:

(now that would be something if Olympus had a "Sun" button on the EM-1 *chr )

StephenL
21st October 2013, 02:07 PM
Nor can it manage Jack Russell-induced shake, when the damned animal is tugging on its lead just as you're about to press the shutter!

David Morison
21st October 2013, 04:22 PM
I've been using the 75-300mm Mk1 ever since I got the E-M5 and now use it with the E-M1. It is a very good lens and the speed of focus is excellent and I don't have an issue with the brightness of it with the OMDs as the high ISO noise characteristics of the sensors are so good. As far as the lens hood is concerned I originally bought a JJC aftermarket version of the Olympus but I found it too bulky. I now use a neat little aluminium parallel sided version which screws into the filter thread. OK it doesn't reverse to cover the lens barrel but it is so neat and portable that this isn't a problem, also it appears to provide as much light protection as the original. Only cost a few quid from HK so it was worth a try and has proved to be a gem.

David

Olybirder
21st October 2013, 06:02 PM
I just checked and the 70-300 4/3 lens cap is a centre pinch version, so I have swapped that over to the 75-300 lens now. I also tried the protection filter from the 70-300 and that fits perfectly, so I might try experimenting in the future to see if it degrades IQ. I find filters useful if there is a bit of sea spray flying about in the wind.

Ron