PDA

View Full Version : E-M1 sensor cleaning

bilbo
20th October 2013, 08:29 AM
No it doesn't need cleaning yet :)

I was just curious to know if the E-M1 has the same kind of sensor cleaning activity as my E-3 which shakes the sensor each time the camera is switched on.

I'm worried that having no mirror in front of the sensor now that it might be more susceptible to dust ingress when I change lenses - so do I now have to be extra careful?

Thanks

bilbo
20th October 2013, 08:33 AM
OK - I've just found the section of the manual which confirms this functionality. (p. 140)

Sorry to waste your time! :rolleyes:

dbutch
20th October 2013, 08:57 AM
I think it is a fair question
All the micro43 camera have an exposed sensor even the shutter stays open
So the question is generally have people suffered more issues with dust with m43 than regular 43?
Dave

paullus
20th October 2013, 09:06 AM
OK - I've just found the section of the manual which confirms this functionality. (p. 140)

Sorry to waste your time! :rolleyes:

It's nobody's waste of time Bilbo. You've asked the question so nobody else has to and we all know the answer now. Thank you.

Steve

Olybirder
20th October 2013, 09:19 AM
It is one of Olympus' finest features but they no longer make a big fuss about it. I haven't noticed a blue flashing light on the E-M1 when it is switched on to indicate that cleaning is taking place but it is all a bit unfamiliar at the moment, so I might have simply missed it.

Ron

drmarkf
20th October 2013, 12:16 PM
There's some relevant experience being discussed here...

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?p=258087#post258087

I've been using Oly CSCs for years now, and this is the first sensor damage incident I've had: it would be good to know exactly how it happened!

Graham_of_Rainham
20th October 2013, 01:24 PM
A tip I always pass on to people is:

Hold the camera lens down when changing lenses, so any specs of dust, etc., fall away from the lens mount.

Unfortunately most people cannot do things without looking at what they are doing. It's all about knowing the feel of your kit and getting used to working with it.