PDA

View Full Version : iPad connectivity

bilbo
20th October 2013, 08:23 AM
When I connect my iPad to the E-M1 wirelessly via OI Share, the camera's controls are disabled and the only way I can then shoot is via the iPad.

I would like to be able to shoot using the camera as normal and for the iPad to be able to browse the images on the card. ie use the iPad as a big chimping device as I shoot!

In order to do this, I have to shoot one or more frames with wireless off, turn wireless on and connect the iPad, and then browse the images. To return to shooting (using the camera), I have to turn wireless off.

All of this interrupts the flow and the whole process isn't quite as streamlined as I'd like - shoot, view on iPad, shoot, view on iPad and so on...

Am I missing something?

StephenL
20th October 2013, 09:37 AM
No, that is the correct workflow. Camera controls are transferred to the tablet, not duplicated, unfortunately.

bilbo
20th October 2013, 12:29 PM
No, that is the correct workflow. Camera controls are transferred to the tablet, not duplicated, unfortunately.What a shame. :(

Graham_of_Rainham
20th October 2013, 01:14 PM
I have been banging on about this for years. The loss of tethering as we had with the E-series and the Studio software was very useful.

For me the ideal would be to leave the new system just as it is and up date Viewer to provide the streaming of captured images to a laptop/tablet.

It would only need to be the thumbnail embeded jpg, that's transferred, so that people can see the image, assess composition, lighting, etc..

I had a discussion with Claire from Olympus on Saturday and she said the several people have commented similarly. I've also written to Olympus Technical Support.

Hopefully we will see this in future.

bilbo
20th October 2013, 01:21 PM
Supplier to customer:

"For crying OUT LOUD! You're the fifth person I've had to tell this morning - there's simply NO DEMAND!" :rolleyes:

Grumpy Hec
20th October 2013, 01:43 PM
I have been banging on about this for years. The loss of tethering as we had with the E-series and the Studio software was very useful.

For me the ideal would be to leave the new system just as it is and up date Viewer to provide the streaming of captured images to a laptop/tablet.

It would only need to be the thumbnail embeded jpg, that's transferred, so that people can see the image, assess composition, lighting, etc..

I had a discussion with Claire from Olympus on Saturday and she said the several people have commented similarly. I've also written to Olympus Technical Support.

Hopefully we will see this in future.

At the same time it would be great to see Olympus talk to Adobe and get tethering support on LR to join the ranks of the Canikon users. It would further enhance the M1's credentials as a serious enthusiast and pro camera.

Hec

Graham_of_Rainham
20th October 2013, 03:07 PM
At the same time it would be great to see Olympus talk to Adobe and get tethering support on LR to join the ranks of the Canikon users. It would further enhance the M1's credentials as a serious enthusiast and pro camera.

Hec

This is the exact thing I spoke to Claire about (without mentioning the other makes ;) )

I used WebCrawler to poll my Flashair Card to draw down the images. But didn't get LR to monitor the folder. I use FastStone MaxView for that as it is so simple and just tap F5 to refresh.

I'm convinced that Olympus could get one of their "Bright Young Minds" to spend a few minutes on this and make it work for us... :cool: