PDA

View Full Version : EM-1 Lock-up Information

Pages : [1] 2 3

brian1208
16th October 2013, 01:50 PM
As I have had another Lock-up today and Chevvy has reported having one previously I thought it may be helpful to ourselves and Olympus, (who I believe read this site?) to record what happens, what setting are in use and how it was resolved.

I'll start by copying across my information from yesterday (and Chevvy, maybe you would like to add yours)

From yesterday:

whilst I was experimenting with the Release Lag-time setting on Short (to see if I could cut down on the time it took for the CAF to grab the bird) I had 3 episodes of total lock up (I've reported this and await a reply from Olympus Support) Until I hear back from them to the contrary I would suggest it may be prudent to avoid using the Short setting for Release Shutter Lag with CAF.

What happened was that I heard a clunk and the EVF view jerked to the left (each time). Shortly afterward there was another clunk and the system locked solid, with the last shot showing on the LCD (which I had switched off!).

When I removed the battery there was another clunk and the system freed itself, the noise was similar to that which you here when you switch the system to Short Lag-time release, switch off and the on again

From today:

Well, I can say that it is not related to the "Release Lag-time" being set to short as today's lock-up was with this set to Normal.

The "Clunk" + EVF view shift also appear to be a red-herrings as there was no sound of that today nor sight of an EVF shift.

I had a new battery in as well, so its not the battery.

Otherwise, all setting were as yesterday and the lockup showed the same effect in that the system froze in the middle of displaying the previous shot on the LCD.

Turning the power switch on and off had no effect, the system stayed powered on and the only way to "Reboot" was to switch it off and on again, after which it carried on working normally

I have sent this info to Olympus Support (still not heard back from yesterday)

brian1208
16th October 2013, 02:10 PM
I don't know if its in anyway linked to the lock-up problems but every single shot of >300 this lunch-time was blurred (shooting with shutter speed up in the range 1/640th the 1/2000th sec )

I need to do more testing using SAF to see if its the same with that, maybe tomorrow

wellyboot
16th October 2013, 02:16 PM
I don't know if its in anyway linked to the lock-up problems but every single shot of >300 this lunch-time was blurred (shooting with shutter speed up in the range 1/640th the 1/2000th sec )

I need to do more testing using SAF to see if its the same with that, maybe tomorrow
That doesn't sound good Brian. Have you had a word with Ian about this?

brian1208
16th October 2013, 02:22 PM
only via posting here - I don't want to waste his time (may be necessary if Olympus don't come back to me of course, but I plan to ring them tomorrow if I have heard nothing back - having done some more testing before hand)

Olybirder
16th October 2013, 02:22 PM
You are scaring me a bit Brian. I hope there is a simple answer to the problem.

Ron

brian1208
16th October 2013, 02:34 PM
Me too, I don't want to scare anyone (least of all myself), I'm just sharing the information in the hopes it may be useful and lead to a clarification of what I am seeing and why

pault
16th October 2013, 02:57 PM
Scaring me too. I had a lock-up, only once yesterday, the proposed image was stuck in the view finder, the on/off switch did'nt work, and the only way to recover was to remove the battery.
I was trying "CAF Lock" (cogs->"A" -"CAF Lock"), If I remember correctly, proposed by Brain1208, ref: Thruxton Meeting and CAF working.
What I cannot be sure is if I was touching the Shutter button at the same time as taking my eye from the view finder, which might have confused the camera.
To me the shutter button seems very sensitive, not like the E-M5, I think it is referred to as "soft touch button". Much prefer the E-M5 button myself.
Sorry to go no a bit, but maybe this might help.

wellyboot
16th October 2013, 03:20 PM
Although scary, I think it's important info like this is shared so that eventually Olympus can see if it is a common problem, which may make a solution easier to come by.
Also for those who haven't yet got their EM1's, it is a chance for them to re-evaluate their proposed purchase if it proves to be a problem for which there is no quick fix.
Having said this, I am sure extensive tests were done on the EM1 before being marketed, and there will undoubtedly be a firmware, or other fix on its way from Olympus.
Having seen the images this camera can produce, I have no intention of cancelling my order, as I have confidence that a fix will be forth coming, and the more people that make Olympus aware of this problem, the sooner all will be well.
So thank you Brian!

brian1208
16th October 2013, 03:23 PM
I've had another quick test shoot with the lens I was using today, my 75-300.

I also ran a few frames through using my 60mm macro.

I'm beginning to wonder if there may be an IS fault as, on this sample of around 30 shots, I'm finding it near enough impossible to get a blur free images at 300mm below about 1/1000th sec with IS on

With the 60mm macro I am getting blurry images at 1/40th - 1/100th, becoming blur free at 1/400th+

(with my em-5 I can get consistently get blur free shots with shutter speed below the 1/fl speed )

A definite call to Olympus Support tomorrow

(I must say that I have done a search on the web and can find no one else reporting this so I may be a small sample of one with a very specific problem)

brian1208
16th October 2013, 03:27 PM
Having seen the images this camera can produce, I have no intention of cancelling my order, as I have confidence that a fix will be forth coming, and the more people that make Olympus aware of this problem, the sooner all will be well.

my feelings exactly - its still the camera I hoped for and I don't regret buying it as an "Early Adopter"

I'm still hoping it will turn out to be something stupid - like ME! :o

brian1208
16th October 2013, 04:05 PM
just to remove one obvious possibility I have put the 75-300 on my tripod, with IS on (IS/1) and IS off and run off a few shots using the back of a CD as the target. Even at 1/6th sec the text is sharp up to and including 300mm, with and without IS (I know one should turn IS off when using a tripod but I wanted to double check what I was looking for)

It was also sharp (even sharper) doing the same thing with my 60mm macro, which is how it should be.

I got the same results with SAF and CAF set

So, I can conclude from these results that the fault is not with the 75-300 lens

I also repeated my hand-held shooting of my local focus test target at about 200m distance (a metal girder tower structure on the nearby water treatment plant) trying a variety of different hand-holding techniques and found the same - blur until after 1/500th sec (with IS/1 set) - hmmm?

wellyboot
16th October 2013, 04:17 PM
Sounds very much like an IS problem Brian if all is well on a tripod. It definitely warrants a call to Olympus tomorrow. That is a real shame. I don't suppose the lock up is the reason for the IS going haywire?
I just hope that given how new it is that they replace it for you, although as things stand, a repair would probably be quicker!

brian1208
16th October 2013, 04:21 PM
I've just had an e-mail from Christopher at Olympus Support and he said that he thought the lock-up may be the result of a low battery + the use of short release lag-time, so I have updated thim and pointed them to this thread

wellyboot
16th October 2013, 04:29 PM
Not sure about the reason being low battery coupled with short release lag time. A bit of a coincidence for the four of you who have experienced this to all have a low battery whilst using this setting?
Hopefully you will get some answers tomorrow Brian!

brian1208
16th October 2013, 04:35 PM
Not sure about the reason being low battery coupled with short release lag time. A bit of a coincidence for the four of you who have experienced this to all have a low battery whilst using this setting?
Hopefully you will get some answers tomorrow Brian!

It clearly isn't the case as I was the only one using short release lag-time and I + the others have had this problem with release lag set to normal.

I was also using a different, freshly charged battery today

At the moment the only common factor appears to be that we were all using CAF when we experienced the problem (but even that is not a causal link)

(Sorry - one of my key roles in my job in R&D was technical problem analysis and resolution and I also ended up training people to use these techniques in my latter years :o )

jamsa
16th October 2013, 04:49 PM
Oh No! So was looking forward to my EM1 but yet more woes....I wonder if other brands have similar problems ...but I don't recall many issues with the E1, E3 and E5.
Mirrorless and five way stabilisation might not be all that is cracked up to be... reading more on EM5 and EM1 lock ups...its the last thing you would want at rare events when you can repeat the experience!

wellyboot
16th October 2013, 05:00 PM
It clearly isn't the case as I was the only one using short release lag-time and I + the others have had this problem with release lag set to normal.

At the moment the only common factor appears to be that we were all using CAF when we experienced the problem (but even that is not a causal link)

(Sorry - one of my key roles in my job in R&D was technical problem analysis and resolution and I also ended up training people to use these techniques in my latter years :o )
Don't apologise Brian! You are definitely coming at this problem in the right way, and eliminating variables can only help Olympus to pinpoint the problem, and thus provide a (hopefully) quick solution!

David Morison
16th October 2013, 05:16 PM
I've had another quick test shoot with the lens I was using today, my 75-300.

I also ran a few frames through using my 60mm macro.

I'm beginning to wonder if there may be an IS fault as, on this sample of around 30 shots, I'm finding it near enough impossible to get a blur free images at 300mm below about 1/1000th sec with IS on

With the 60mm macro I am getting blurry images at 1/40th - 1/100th, becoming blur free at 1/400th+

(with my em-5 I can get consistently get blur free shots with shutter speed below the 1/fl speed )

A definite call to Olympus Support tomorrow

(I must say that I have done a search on the web and can find no one else reporting this so I may be a small sample of one with a very specific problem)

Brian, I mentioned IBIS problems I'd experienced with the M1 in an earlier thread and having had nearly two weeks experience of the camera, including in Greece, I am finding that the problem is easing. This is without changing my technique at all and seems to confirm my original suggestion in that thread - that the IBIS needs "running in". I have not found any problems when using the 60mm or 4/3 7-14 or 14-150, but I have not used IBIS much with these lenses as the light level in Greece has been such that higher shutter speeds were used. My experience with the 75-300mm has also shown that the results on the M1 appear to be softer than with the M5 but I need to do more work on this, I still have the M5 so will do a direct comparison soon.

David

Ian
16th October 2013, 05:24 PM
I haven't used an E-M1 for about 3 weeks now (not by choice! :)) but in the 2-3 weeks I had one I don't recall any lock-ups or IS problems...

Ian

David Morison
16th October 2013, 05:27 PM
I've just had an e-mail from Christopher at Olympus Support and he said that he thought the lock-up may be the result of a low battery + the use of short release lag-time, so I have updated thim and pointed them to this thread

Interesting! I've had several situations after the red battery warning comes on where on firing the shutter the EVF goes white and the shutter appears to open for a whole second, no image is recorded and any Mysets I had applied had been cancelled. This happened time after time but returned to normal after a battery change. No damage codes were recorded and I have often had this on my EM5. A bit disappointing as I am sure the batteries had many shots left in them before expiring, but if the camera is switched off for a while the problem disappears for twenty or so shots.

David

brian1208
16th October 2013, 05:36 PM
Oh No! So was looking forward to my EM1 but yet more woes....I wonder if other brands have similar problems ...but I don't recall many issues with the E1, E3 and E5.
Mirrorless and five way stabilisation might not be all that is cracked up to be... reading more on EM5 and EM1 lock ups...its the last thing you would want at rare events when you can repeat the experience!

I don't think that these are common problems, certainly searching the web doesn't show much except the odd few who run up against. I've certainly never had a problem with my EM-5 and that's been heavily used (50k shots in around 14 months)

I've only just come up against this problem in the last 2 days despite having worked the EM-1 very hard on Saturday for most of the day, using CAF as set in this thread (2k+ shots) and its not shown it in the previous 3k or so shots when working with SAF so something odd has happened

David - I've had the opposite experience, initially no problems whatever with IS, so much so that I was convinced that it was already slightly better than that on the EM-5

I think we need to be careful at this point to remember we are still in a "Data Gathering" phase. Its possible to cross things off the "Possible Causes" list as we find data that negate hypothesised effects (like the fact it occurs with Release lag-time Normal and Short, therefore it can't be using "Short that causes the problem) but we shouldn't really start guessing at what it may be (tempting as it is :D )

I am wondering if something is causing a large current drain so it would be helpful if people can remember what state their batteries were in when it occurred , was it early in a shoot or later? If later, roughly how many shots had the battery taken?

jamsa
16th October 2013, 05:49 PM
I recall reading of a problem reported early on with the EM5 which was when the camera was switched on/off or back from sleep mode after the camera had been angled not at 90 or 180 degrees and there was a problem that made the stabilisation process have an issue.
There was also a limit on "time on" for video as it made the sensor hot and it would need to cool I recall someone saying it auto switched off or perhaps locked. With both of these their were not lots of reported issues and perhaps firmware helped resolve them.
whatever is happening I sincerely hope its identified openly confirmed and then resolved asap. Keep up the good work of reporting! Thank you all.

dbutch
16th October 2013, 07:33 PM
Just a thought way back when the E1 came out there was a spate of people saying camera had locked up (when camera was still new) and it strangly seemed to be after the 3rd or 4th battery charge!!! I had this and also witnessed it with a spare battery. It appears the battery was conditioning it self and seemed to loose power faster on the 3rd charge - funny old world
Dave

brian1208
16th October 2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the ion this

Dave - I can understand this if the battery is low (used to happen with some of my canon bodies too) but in each case with the battery was still showing full green bar and at least one of them is from my EM-5 and is well "conditioned".

I'm sure it will be resolved, sooner rather than later I hope :)

cliff
16th October 2013, 10:54 PM
I supose you've already tryed a reset to factory settings, just wondering if you have inadvertently set some conflict maybe as there are so many options?

Cliff

brian1208
17th October 2013, 05:25 AM
thanks Cliff, a good suggestion. Haven't done it yet as I had hoped it may be a "one off".

even if it is some conflict though I feel it is important for us and Olympus to find out what since, as working with the provided setting shown in the manual, with no warnings of potential conflict problem it shouldn't happen ie: its a likely a firmware or software glitch that would need resolving by an update

Dick Bowman
17th October 2013, 07:06 AM
For what it's worth (and I have no E-M1 experience myself) I'll echo dbutch's comment above about the E-1. Both my E-1 and E-3 have had similar lockups on occasion - in the latter case there seemed to be a connection between using both C-AF and IS (I have got into the habit of on or either - when I remember - and can't recall it happening since).

There are several mentions of these lockups in earlier threads (various bodies). It seems to be an Olympus "thing" - I suspect some obscure corner in the firmware.

Grumpy Hec
17th October 2013, 07:18 AM
Interesting if not slightly worrying reading this thread. My EM-1 is still one of those awaiting delivery from the Oly shop so it is a little disturbing to read this.

However I mention the following which may not be related but it does sound markedly similar.

On my E3 I have experienced lockup when in CAF using a 14-50 mk1. It would occur when on low speed sequential shooting in shutter priority. The only way out was a power off/on cycle. On other lenses it was OK so I put it down to slower focusing and the camera not able to cope with the wait period in sequential shooting.

As I say probably not related but there does appear to be some similarities.

Hec

brian1208
17th October 2013, 07:24 AM
Dick and Hec, thanks for your input.

Dick, that does sound very like what we are seeing, if true then either Olympus need to resolve the firmware / software bug or put a clear warning in their manual.

I will try the suggestion to switch off IS when using CAF out (but suspect it may make life very difficult when using my 75-300 at full reach as the view in the EVF will be very unstable in my case :( )

I will also have a go with my 35-100 using the lens IS with IBIS off to see if that prevents further occurence

brian1208
17th October 2013, 10:27 AM
I've had the chance to do a bit more testing on the lack of sharpness / shake issue using one of my nearby focus targets (a fancy aerial on a neighbours roof) and now don't think it is in anyway linked to the lock-up, it was just coincidental timing.

Two factors seem to be at the root cause:

- I seem to have got a bit more shaky over the last few days (its an age thing :( )
- shooting in CAF mode with the "release on focus" option set to off means that I get more "just out of focus" shots, which can give the impression of movement blur

so now we just need to resolve what is causing the lock-ups (which is a relief in many ways)

StephenL
17th October 2013, 11:19 AM
I've just had a lock-up. It's the first time I've tried burst-mode. I was set on H with C-AF. The camera froze with half a display in the viewfinder, and wouldn't switch off. I removed the battery, replaced it and carried on. However, before the lockup I was using raw+LF. After the lock-up I reverted to jpeg, and it didn't lock up. The battery state was newly-charged.

I've reported this to Chris Dale at Olympus, and sent him a file so he can analyse the exif. For now, I'm not personally worried as I never normally use this mode - just thought I'd try it on the dog! I've discovered that my technique is rubbish!

brian1208
17th October 2013, 12:55 PM
Thanks Stephen, I had an e-mail back from Chris saying that he has passed it up the line for the techies to consider what needs doing.

Had a short shoot before lunch using SAF, no lock-ups but it did confirm I've got an attack of the shakes, I was finding difficult to keep the darned thing still even on the monopod at times - bummer! :(

Still I've got a few decent shots out of it I think

I forgot to say, its good the Olympus Support seem to be taking this seriously, possibly thanks to the info we are collating here?

paullus
17th October 2013, 04:05 PM
As I'm still eagerly awaiting the arrival of my E-M1 this is a bit of a concern. However I do remember my E-620 sometimes locking up. I also seem to remember I cured this by cleaning the contacts between the lens and body. Has anyone experienced this problem with a m4/3 lens or the new 12-50 or is it confined to older 4/3 lenses attached to the camera with the adapter.
I'm just thinking that if it is only 4/3 lenses doing this then it could be a connection issue so try cleaning the lens contacts and depressing them with a pin. You never know it could be something really simple.
I say this with fingers very firmly crossed.

Steve

StephenL
17th October 2013, 04:11 PM
Was with the m4/3 75mm. I'm convinced mine was a buffering issue. I was trying to save raw plus LF jpegs together.

jamsa
17th October 2013, 04:22 PM
Was with the m4/3 75mm. I'm convinced mine was a buffering issue. I was trying to save raw plus LF jpegs together.

And this can depend on the write speed of the card and brand you are using.

brian1208
17th October 2013, 04:29 PM
As I'm still eagerly awaiting the arrival of my E-M1 this is a bit of a concern. However I do remember my E-620 sometimes locking up. I also seem to remember I cured this by cleaning the contacts between the lens and body. Has anyone experienced this problem with a m4/3 lens or the new 12-50 or is it confined to older 4/3 lenses attached to the camera with the adapter.
I'm just thinking that if it is only 4/3 lenses doing this then it could be a connection issue so try cleaning the lens contacts and depressing them with a pin. You never know it could be something really simple.
I say this with fingers very firmly crossed.

Steve

m4/3rds only lenses for me

brian1208
17th October 2013, 04:32 PM

Its possible but I was using a Lexar pro 400X 32gb card (the same as I used for my Thruxton m.cycle meet) and I had no problems with it on the Saturday, when it had a right hammering in terms of slowing down as I over-filled the buffer, with no sign of a lock-up

Not saying you are wrong but my experience doesn't provide clear evidence for this

Chevvyf1
17th October 2013, 05:10 PM

Brian I was using S-AF and C-AF def not SRLT.

It happened today, using the 75-300 and CAF+Tr

Fresh charged battery not even 1/4 used today !

BUT I did have this now and then with the E-5 - no blackout just lock up ; no clunk (*but the E-5 was almost silent!)

However, I was PHENOMENALLY IMPRESSED with photos of Funghi, low light/no light in the dense Micheldever Woods and the IQ is blowing me away ! an that with the 75-300 lens ... as I forgot the 60 Macro :rolleyes:

brian1208
17th October 2013, 05:17 PM
more data Chevvy, thanks. you may like to send this info to
https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/profile_mask2.png

customer.support@olympus.co.uk

for the attn. of Chris Dale as he seems to be the man in the hot seat at the moment

StephenL
17th October 2013, 06:23 PM
And this can depend on the write speed of the card and brand you are using.
Indeed. I only use Sandisk Extreme 45gb/s cards.not the fastest, but reasonable, I would think.

brian1208
18th October 2013, 01:28 PM
Well, I have sorted one problem today, that of the apparent IS failure (which I put down to my worsened shakes)

I wasn't convinced so did a definitive test using my Panasonic 35-100 with OIS and no IBIS, IBIS and no IS

OIS gave me razor sharp images at 1/30th sec / 100mm fl
IBIS was totally blurred under the same conditions

After reset IBIS stabilisation is back to what it was at the start(and images from my 75-300 are back to being sharp hand-held)

So, it does look as if the lock-up not only switched on the LCD but it also messed up the IBIS system

All I have to do now is reset the camera to the way I got it working for me and hope it doesn't screw up again!

wellyboot
18th October 2013, 01:44 PM
I thought it was a bit of a coincidence Brian, that you should develop the "shakes" just after you had the lock up.
It really is going to be a pain to reset every time you get a lock up! At least we now all have a heads up to make a note of all our settings on the EM1! :eek:
I wonder if that info will help Olympus to sort the problem?
Thank you for the info Brian

brian1208
18th October 2013, 01:47 PM
wonder if that info will help Olympus to sort the problem?

I have passed the information on to Christopher Bale at Olympus just in case

(mind you, the shakes are definitely worse to, probably coincidence but I wonder if it could be the stress of coming to terms with the EM-1? :D )

brian1208
18th October 2013, 02:55 PM
IS is definitely working, this was shot at 1/10th sec with 94mm FL and ISO1600, hand-held

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com/images/sites/21/gallery/original/1382107978.jpg

much better, even with the shakes :)

David Morison
18th October 2013, 03:08 PM
Excellent shot Brian, not many around now.

David

brian1208
18th October 2013, 03:11 PM
thanks David, its a shot of an print from an image I shot a few years back, hanging on my work-room wall but we still have our resident family of Chiffchaffs that overwinter each year down here in Dorset

StephenL
18th October 2013, 03:27 PM
I'm in 2 minds whether to do a full reset or not now. I only had the one lock-up, but it took a few minutes for the camera to start refocussing properly after I took the battery out.

I "think" the IS is working OK, but you've put doubts in my head. I have made a note of most of my settings, and I've also saved them to Myset 1, in case that doesn't get erased!

Chevvyf1
18th October 2013, 08:28 PM
Thanks Stephen, I had an e-mail back from Chris saying that he has passed it up the line for the techies to consider what needs doing.

Had a short shoot before lunch using SAF, no lock-ups but it did confirm I've got an attack of the shakes, I was finding difficult to keep the darned thing still even on the monopod at times - bummer! :(

Still I've got a few decent shots out of it I think

I forgot to say, its good the Olympus Support seem to be taking this seriously, possibly thanks to the info we are collating here?

Try C-AF+Tr it worked for me and my shakes :)

Chevvyf1
18th October 2013, 08:39 PM
Matt @ SRS suggested 8Gb or 8Gb+ Extreme Pro 95MB/second and at least level 6 cards :) I have level 10 :) but not used these yet ... only old 30MB/second ... so MAYBE thats why I had a LOCKUP !

I think I read in the manual ... or Spec of the ONE that Level 6 cards and higher are best

Duh ! Maybe its us using old model camera cards ... :eek:

nbagno
19th October 2013, 06:02 AM
I was directed to this post so thought I would add to the list. I've had 3 lockups in 2 days. Last two times the evf remained on, no images displayed that I can remember but none of the buttons did anything. Batter removal necessary. Only lens I use is the 300f2.8, I also have the Panasonic adapter.

I also have random issues with the lens aperture blades slamming open and closed at random times. I can't tell if anything triggers it, just sometimes the blade will start opening and closing at for a few seconds, then stop, then start up. I have also had the same opening and closing of the blades when I half press the shutter. Power cycle with the on off lever resets it, but it comes back.

I do not like the sounds of aperture blades opening and closing on my expensive lens. The EM-5 had the same issue with this lens. My E-3 and E-5 never did this, must me some weird mirrorless thing. Yea.

Gwyver
19th October 2013, 06:13 AM
I do not like the sounds of aperture blades opening and closing on my expensive lens. The EM-5 had the same issue with this lens. My E-3 and E-5 never did this, must me some weird mirrorless thing. Yea.

Since this issue occurs with both m43 cameras it seems more likely that the problem is either your lens or m43 lens adapter. Perhaps some of the contacts on the adapter are dirty or misaligned?

bilbo
19th October 2013, 07:12 AM
... I was using S-AF and C-AF def not SRLT.

What is SRLT please?

jamsa
19th October 2013, 07:17 AM
I wonder if Olympus could contact all their new EM1 customers that have registered the camera and do a survey to find out how serious or rare these lockups are? It might help locate the problems.
No professional photographer is going to be able to make a living by using solely Olympus cameras if they have a habit of locking up. They can't say to clients "sorry, can you come back later after the battery has been removed and its reset"
I am worried as I need to be confident in reliability of the camera. Should I be buying it now?

Alpha1
19th October 2013, 07:46 AM
Try C-AF+Tr it worked for me and my shakes :)
Nah, nothing better than a strong mug of black coffee Chevvy.....either that or the "hair of the dog"!! :)

It's a lot cheaper than buying all new cards!!

I always use class 10 cards of at least 16Gb and I have some at 32Gb. Jpeg fine plus Raw does tend to gobble up memory! However I would be surprised if the locking up problems are as a direct result unless really old cards were being used at the time.

My E-M1 has had very little use recently as a result of our Golden Wedding celebrations last Sunday at Highcliffe Castle (Son-in-law doing the photography with his E-M5!) and having house guests from various parts of the world staying with us!

However I did mention very early on suffering blurred images using my 75-300 (longer end) and with CAF+tr with Auto IBIS. Eventually "cured" by using IBIS1 and changing to the Panny 100-300 where it was sharp throughout the zoom range.(using IBIS rather than the lens stabiliser)

I shall now only take the Panny 100-300 to Namibia next week whereas I was hoping to take the smaller and lighter Oly 75-300. I shall also take the E-M5 as back-up with my Oly 9-18, Oly 60 macro and 14-150 as we tour the ever changing landscape.

Chevvyf1
19th October 2013, 07:58 AM
Nah, nothing better than a strong mug of black coffee Chevvy.....either that or the "hair of the dog"!! :)

It's a lot cheaper than buying all new cards!!

I always use class 10 cards of at least 16Gb and I have some at 32Gb. Jpeg fine plus Raw does tend to gobble up memory! However I would be surprised if the locking up problems are as a direct result unless really old cards were being used at the time.

My E-M1 has had very little use recently as a result of our Golden Wedding celebrations last Sunday at Highcliffe Castle (Son-in-law doing the photography with his E-M5!) and having house guests from various parts of the world staying with us!

However I did mention very early on suffering blurred images using my 75-300 (longer end) and with CAF+tr with Auto IBIS. Eventually "cured" by using IBIS1 and changing to the Panny 100-300 where it was sharp throughout the zoom range.(using IBIS rather than the lens stabiliser)

I shall now only take the Panny 100-300 to Namibia next week whereas I was hoping to take the smaller and lighter Oly 75-300. I shall also take the E-M5 as back-up with my Oly 9-18, Oly 60 macro and 14-150 as we tour the ever changing landscape.

Dave wishing you a simply superb hols in Nam :) and looking forward to seeing the images :) Hilliers is still mainly in "the green" but maybe more "autumnal" in December :) for a catch up :)

jamsa
19th October 2013, 08:30 AM
Dave wishing you a simply superb hols in Nam :) and looking forward to seeing the images :) Hilliers is still mainly in "the green" but maybe more "autumnal" in December :) for a catch up :)

I just sold a 100-300 and bought the mk 2 75-300 a couple of month ago.... All these problems are worrying! :-(

Xenon
19th October 2013, 10:34 AM
I just sold a 100-300 and bought the mk 2 75-300 a couple of month ago.... All these problems are worrying! :-(

Agreed :(
I'm waiting for delivery, but watching closely to see how this develops.

Ross the fiddler
19th October 2013, 10:46 AM
I was directed to this post so thought I would add to the list. I've had 3 lockups in 2 days. Last two times the evf remained on, no images displayed that I can remember but none of the buttons did anything. Batter removal necessary. Only lens I use is the 300f2.8, I also have the Panasonic adapter.

I also have random issues with the lens aperture blades slamming open and closed at random times. I can't tell if anything triggers it, just sometimes the blade will start opening and closing at for a few seconds, then stop, then start up. I have also had the same opening and closing of the blades when I half press the shutter. Power cycle with the on off lever resets it, but it comes back.

Since this issue occurs with both m43 cameras it seems more likely that the problem is either your lens or m43 lens adapter. Perhaps some of the contacts on the adapter are dirty or misaligned?

It might be connection issues but I think it is necessary for the camera to adjust the aperture blades for display purposes (to see an image at reasonable brightness) & any moving around changes the brightness of the subject & hence the movement of the blades.

jamsa
19th October 2013, 11:06 AM
I do suppose that with a lockup problem occurring "randomly" that the camera could be considered of not merchantable quality at the current time of purchase and refund would be an option open to anyone in this situation. A software issue might be easily resolved but at this stage a hardware mechanical issue might be harder to overcome in the short term or unpredictable in longevity of the camera.
A readiness of Olympus to perhaps offer a three year warranty or 100,000 actuations whichever comes first might reassure customers.

bilbo
19th October 2013, 11:48 AM
A readiness of Olympus to perhaps offer a three year warranty or 100,000 actuations whichever comes first might reassure customers.The warranty is 2 years as standard. Plus an additional 6 months if you register it for Service Plus.

jamsa
19th October 2013, 11:55 AM
It's handy Brian to have such a good warranty, I am just nervous of losing that perfect image right at the moment due to a lockup. I hope it is a rare issue and that because most posting on here are keen photographers and being "experimental" which might have contributed to the hardware or software conflicts unforseen at Olympus. It might take other users longer to find out more about the lockup.

bilbo
19th October 2013, 12:03 PM
It's handy Brian to have such a good warranty, I am just nervous of losing that perfect image right at the moment due to a lockup. I hope it is a rare issue and that because most posting on here are keen photographers and being "experimental" which might have contributed to the hardware or software conflicts unforseen at Olympus. It might take other users longer to find out more about the lockup.Well, I can't remember ever firing off loads of sequential shots like these guys are doing. I tend to single shot except for HDR sets when I might bracket 5 shots. I'm not expecting many issues. I'll certainly let you know if I do find any!

drmarkf
19th October 2013, 02:47 PM
In case a bit more experience will help:

1. I had a few total lockups recently that were almost certainly caused by my adapted OM Zuiko 50mm f2 macro having tarnished connectors. I had these happen on two different M5 bodies (one being the Group's hire body) but all now seems to have been cured after buffing the lens' and adapter's pins lightly for a while with a soft cloth. These needed 'battery out' resets.

2. Since getting the M1 I've had a couple of 'blank screens' (not caused by me accidentally pressing LiveView) that apparently responded to my checking the seating of the 40-150mm in the bayonet. The screen magically switched itself back on as I tweaked the lens. I've never had this with the M5, but the 40-150 does have a plastic bayonet, of course, and although this doesn't look particularly worn and the electrical contacts look bright I am keeping an eye on it. No other M1 problems at all, and I've done quite a bit of shooting trying out both the 40-150 and 100-300 with CA and CA-TR and IBIS, including at fast frame rates. I use class 10 cards.

3. After I first got the M5 last year I used it on a hiking trip in the southern Californian desert and I got a couple of total lockups that I associated at the time with the body getting very hot in the sun. These were with the 12-35 f2.8 fitted as I recall. Battery-out resets were needed. I subsequently used it in the Caribbean in January and China in May when it must have got just as hot, but I had no problems at all - I think the only thing that would have changed is updated firmware.

For what it's worth, I used to have a Nikon D300 that locked up once or twice a year, and that must be a much less complicated machine! We also shouldn't forget the serious software problems the Leica M9 suffered on launch.

I suspect any non-hardware glitches will soon be ironed out by firmware updates.

nbagno
19th October 2013, 03:32 PM

I believe this also happens on my Panasonic 20mm lens and just read where it's a "known issue". Don't like it at all.

Alpha1
19th October 2013, 03:51 PM
Hilliers is still mainly in "the green" but maybe more "autumnal" in December :) for a catch up :) Looks like it's a date then Chevvy!!

I am not too sure about my copy of the Zuiko 35-300 mk2 lens. On both my E-M5 and now on the E-M1 it is not as sharp as the Panny 100-300, particularly at the longer end where the Oly 75-300 struggles.

On the other hand, others here really like this lens and I can't work out whether it's just my copy or if others just don't have the Panny 100-300 to compare it with! :confused:

If I could be sure then I would take my lens back for a replacement.

For what they are worth, the DXO lens comparison report does put the Panny several points ahead of the Oly for these focal length lenses and whilst I prefer to see real life situation test comparisons, I do have to say that the Panny is quite a bit ahead in my own experience.

The other side of the coin is that the Panny suffers more lens creep than the Oly and it's bigger and heavier but with faster apertures at both FL ends.

birdboy
19th October 2013, 04:22 PM
Out of interest when you folk have received your new OMD-EM1 did you carry out a factory reset before delving into play mode.

The thinking behind this is I assume that Oly quality control carry out tests on all cameras before shipment. A factory reset IMHO has to be the first action followed by a card format in any new camera. If it is not the first it should be if there are problem being experienced with the camera. If it is a software fault I would expect it to be repeatable. What is of most concern to me, having one on order, is that nobody seems to be able to reproduce the fault.

mcwill
20th October 2013, 09:48 AM
Just to chip in, I had a partial lockup for the first time today, a normal switch off then back on cleared it so I didn't have to pull the battery. I was trying out C-AF+Tr for the first time since receiving the camera and it occurred approx 20 mins after enabling that feature.

I switched back to C-AF and didn't hit any more problems.

kbouk
20th October 2013, 10:13 AM
When I tried a demo E-M1 body + my 14-35mm/2 a week ago, I had a total lockup with AF-assist led on (it was dark).
I was testing C-AF mode and I had to remove the battery out to reset.
My first EM-5 behaved the same for the first 3 months, 1 to 3 lockups every month until the second firmware update (for the IS sound).

Daveart
20th October 2013, 10:53 AM
'However I did mention very early on suffering blurred images using my 75-300 (longer end) and with CAF+tr with Auto IBIS. Eventually "cured" by using IBIS1 and changing to the Panny 100-300 where it was sharp throughout the zoom range.(using IBIS rather than the lens stabiliser)'

Hi, you say your 75 300 on the long end is alittle soft, which one do you have, as I have the mkII and is equally sharp right though the range even wide open, if you call f6.7 wide open at the long end. I wished Olympus have come out with a f4 straight through, at an afordable price.

Dave

Grumpy Hec
20th October 2013, 11:38 AM
Just to prove that lockups are not a new problem I had some on my E3 this morning. After some playing around including taking battery in and out I resolved the problem by putting in a newly charged battery even though the indicator was not showing a problem.

It started happening when I was refamiliarisng my self with bracketing. I feared the worse initially but as I say it was simple in the end. Always worth checking the basics.

Hec

drmarkf
20th October 2013, 12:01 PM
'However I did mention very early on suffering blurred images using my 75-300 (longer end) and with CAF+tr with Auto IBIS. Eventually "cured" by using IBIS1 and changing to the Panny 100-300 where it was sharp throughout the zoom range.(using IBIS rather than the lens stabiliser)'

Hi, you say your 75 300 on the long end is alittle soft, which one do you have, as I have the mkII and is equally sharp right though the range even wide open, if you call f6.7 wide open at the long end. I wished Olympus have come out with a f4 straight through, at an afordable price.

Dave

I would say my 100-300 is superbly sharp up to about 200mm, but it falls off a little after that. I noticed this first hand-held, but I've confirmed it both on a tripod with all stabilization off, and handheld with IBIS. I haven't tried it with lens stabilization.

Alpha1
20th October 2013, 01:54 PM
I have the mZuiko 75-300 mk ll lens, latest version.

I have never been as happy with this lens on the E-M5 it is slower to focus and not as sharp hand held as my Panny 100-300.

On the E-M1 it focuses as fast as the 100-300 but the latter is sharp right to the end at F6.5 which my copy of the 75-300 is not. I will get it checked out because although it's slower for UK light, for sunnier climes which is when I shall be travelling, the more compact and lighter design is a significant benefit.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, as that was very helpful.

I can still hold an EFL lens of 600mm steady above 1/800 with an Oly's IBIS system even at my great age!!

brian1208
20th October 2013, 04:09 PM
Shot around 400 frames shooting, mad dog, kids and cars today, all in CAF mode

CAF is quite superb, with very few examples of dropped focus (which it then recovered a a couple of frames later) I'll put a few images up in the gallery

but maybe more important no sign of a lock up

IS is still working well after the reset

still delighted with it despite the locking

Xenon
20th October 2013, 04:40 PM
Good to hear, Brian!
Very re-assuring...thanks for updating those of us merely looking on at this stage :)

simonknee
20th October 2013, 05:47 PM
Went to the park when the rain finally stopped today. Messing about with C-AF+Tr (proably had the 50-200 on but not sure) and I had a lockup. Screen and EVF went blank and none of the buttons functioned. Had to take battery out to bring back to life.

Simon

jamsa
20th October 2013, 06:06 PM
Keep the info coming.... We don't know if a lockup is causing overheating, current draw, damage etc so the more Olympus have the better....

nbagno
21st October 2013, 04:42 AM
Day 3 with the camera. (lockups on day 1,2) shot 960 images today in about 3 hours.

Within the first 5 minutes the camera locked up, evf was on and could not get the camera to respond.

Happened again about 10 minutes later. Both times I was actively changing something in the menu system, don't recall what.

Lens 300f2.8, Adapter Panasonic DMW-MA1

Xenon
21st October 2013, 07:40 AM
Following people's experiences on other forums with the E-M1, I have only seen a couple of instances of this problem, and, from memory, one DOA report.

Is it possible these problems stem from a faulty batch??

Presumably Olympus have the serial numbers of those reporting problems and could check this?

Let's hope it's simply a matter of a firmware update.

bredman
21st October 2013, 08:06 AM
Hmmm. Any cameras from SRS locking up? I must confess i don't fancy trying to force a lock up.

brian1208
21st October 2013, 08:13 AM
Paul, I wonder if we are seeing more lock-ups here because more of us are experimenting with CAF sequence shooting more than the average sample of users?

I wouldn't think we are seeing a faulty batch more likely a bug in the firmware / software, one of the penalties of being an "Early Adopter" of anything electronic it seems, not just Olympus Cameras ;)

Xenon
21st October 2013, 08:19 AM
Paul, I wonder if we are seeing more lock-ups here because more of us are experimenting with CAF sequence shooting more than the average sample of users?

I wouldn't think we are seeing a faulty batch more likely a bug in the firmware / software, one of the penalties of being an "Early Adopter" of anything electronic it seems, not just Olympus Cameras ;)

Could be, Brian.

Personally I believe it is something that will probably resolve, as I suggested, with a firmware upgrade.

Just threw in the faulty batch idea as I haven't seen it mentioned as a possibility yet, and it's probably worth considering amongst all the other possible causes.

Despite this, the overall reviews are positive, which is the main thing :)

nbagno
22nd October 2013, 04:24 AM
Thought I would report that after shooting ~900 images today with the same setup as I had since day 1 there were no lockups. My assumption is I am not in the menu system as much so the possibility of a lockup was reduced.

brian1208
22nd October 2013, 03:10 PM
Another Lock-up today after shooting approximately 100 frames (.JPG + RAW) using CAF, Release Lag-time=normal, Focus Lock = normal, ISO 400 at 6fps in bursts of 3 - 5 shots

Required battery out but IS appears to be still working so no re-set to factory settings required

Maczero
22nd October 2013, 04:58 PM
Had one lockup today with a 43 50mm lens and adaptor. ISO Low (100), shutter speed c 1/80, f4. S-AF, single shot. Removing the battery and rebooting the camera solved the problem, but it seems odd. I have had no problems (lockup-wise) with the 75-300 or 50-200 using C-AF and low rate repetition shooting.

Anyway, one to add to the database.

Andrew

jamsa
22nd October 2013, 05:46 PM
I wonder if the lockup is a shutter actuation circuit relay issue and the speed of the shutter operation will have a voltage drop which then has to recover to the same in order to be repeated, so if there is a slight delay in the relay voltage recovering due to the camera having to do something else ie IBIS, re focus, etc it might contribute to the problem.

Chevvyf1
22nd October 2013, 06:34 PM
I had a few in North Devon at the weekend :) I was using Top Spec card 98 Mbps ; New battery and S-AF and C-AF and C-AF+Tr .

Also unable to upload to Samsung Tablet, even after updates installed :( last few times it was easy peasy :(

Maczero
22nd October 2013, 08:44 PM
Should have added, I was altering the focus point when I had the lock up using buttons not through the menu system.

brian1208
23rd October 2013, 01:14 PM
Following my Lock-up yesterday, whilst doing a brief shoot this morning I ran the battery down so had to change it (switching off before hand) at which point the IS stopped working. another reset to factory default was needed before it finally sorted itself.

Does look as if there may be a battery power vs current drain issue somewhere in all this?

wellyboot
23rd October 2013, 02:26 PM
Have you had any response from Olympus yet Brian?

brian1208
23rd October 2013, 03:31 PM
No response yet (other than it had been passed up to the Tech Team to look into it.)

I plan to contact Christopher again later today as I now have something in the region of 10 lock-ups and the majority of those resulted in a disabled IS system, requiring full system reset

But, just when I think I've had enough of this Stupid B' Camera, I have a shoot like I did this afternoon of Surfers off Boscombe Pier and the results are so good I forgive it all over again.

I just hope that they issue a Firmware update soon and that sorts all this nonsense out

jamsa
23rd October 2013, 05:02 PM
If the cameras were in plenty of supply You would have every right for an exchange or at least refund under the sale of goods act... and that's one way of getting the camera backto Olympus for testing when the retailers claims credit and has it returned as faulty!!!

No response yet (other than it had been passed up to the Tech Team to look into it.)

I plan to contact Christopher again later today as I now have something in the region of 10 lock-ups and the majority of those resulted in a disabled IS system, requiring full system reset

But, just when I think I've had enough of this Stupid B' Camera, I have a shoot like I did this afternoon of Surfers off Boscombe Pier and the results are so good I forgive it all over again.

I just hope that they issue a Firmware update soon and that sorts all this nonsense out

brian1208
23rd October 2013, 05:33 PM
If the cameras were in plenty of supply You would have every right for an exchange or at least refund under the sale of goods act... and that's one way of getting the camera backto Olympus for testing when the retailers claims credit and has it returned as faulty!!!

Yes indeed, but they are in short supply and I am getting good results between incidents.

I did point out to Christopher that its either a generic problem which a Firmware upgrade will resolve (hoped for outcome) or its a faulty camera (in which case I would expect it to be replaced as the original problem was reported within a week of buying it)

Not what I would expect from a "Professional" camera (but then a friend's canon 1DX has already gone back as part of a general recall because of an shutter mechanism that was "Over-oiled" during construction and it still has other defects to be resolved as well, so its not just Olympus (but maybe the general curse of modern electronic devices?)

jamsa
23rd October 2013, 05:45 PM
I can only assume that they already have cameras back "at base" with which to re- create the problem as they would have wanted some examples back to look at before now.
I have never experienced lock ups before with any other of my camera or video camera brands...

brian1208
23rd October 2013, 09:05 PM
Me neither but I have read about others experiencing it with many different makes of camera, I don't think it's unique to the EM-1 by any means

cliff
23rd October 2013, 11:19 PM
Hi Brian, all these resets, dose it wipeout your "mysets"?
if so are you having to manually reinstall all your settings or is there a way to remotely store them dose anyone know?

Cliff

brian1208
24th October 2013, 05:25 AM
Morning Cliff, I haven't got around to using Mysets yet (been too busy trying to sort out what the heck was going on) but its a good question. I'll make my current settings into a Myset and see what happens next time.

Meantime, as you say, it would be good to hear if anyone else knows this

Chevvyf1
24th October 2013, 07:19 AM
Morning Cliff, I haven't got around to using Mysets yet (been too busy trying to sort out what the heck was going on) but its a good question. I'll make my current settings into a Myset and see what happens next time.

Meantime, as you say, it would be good to hear if anyone else knows this

I think MySets get stored as does Factory Set

StephenL
24th October 2013, 07:23 AM
Mysets are wiped out by a factory reset. That leads me to think that a factory reset changes more than just what changes you the user make. In other words (simplistic) it clears the whole camera system. But on second thoughts, maybe not, as a factory reset does not clear Copyright data. :confused:

Alpha1
24th October 2013, 08:09 AM
Well I have just made a very quick check with users across the pond and it seems that so far they haven't experienced any lock-up problems in the US and so far neither have I, but that may be because I haven't used it that much recently.

This will change after today, as I shall be using it every day for 16 days with much of that using C-AF or C-AF+tr.

However it does make one consider that this may be just a batch build problem, or those of us with E-M5's may be just using old batteries without the reserve of power required by the E-M1 in certain situations?

However I do think the 75-300, although much faster focusing with the E-M1, is optically not quite up to the camera's undoubted capability.

Either way, are we in danger of testing our E-M1's to destruction?

brian1208
24th October 2013, 08:34 AM
I have been in contact with one US user who then reported a lock up with his here.

As to Either way, are we in danger of testing our E-M1's to destruction? I use my EM-5 equally hard and have had no problems with it so don't think its too much to expect the Pro version to perform at least as well without problems :)

Its not as if we are asking it to do anything it doesn't describe in the manual after all

it does make one consider that this may be just a batch build problem its always possible, maybe even likely, but until we get and try an firmware update we won't know

As to the battery question, I have used both my original EM-5 batteries and the new one that came with the EM-1, with the same results

Alpha1
24th October 2013, 10:24 AM
Brian

OK I will report my own findings from operating my E-M1 in a rather a harsh environment in about 2.5 weeks, if I can stay out of the way of large predators! :eek:

brian1208
24th October 2013, 11:26 AM
My IBIS system is now defunct, can't get it to work even after a couple of full resets.

It still makes a whirring sound as if something is working but no stabilisation.

Proven to have failed by the simple expedient of putting my 35-100 Panasonic on:

- IBIS off and OIS on - shutter speed = stable and sharp to value 1/4 focal length (1/25th sec with 100mm)

- IBIS on and OIS off - total blur under the same conditions (and likewise with all my Olympus lenses)

(Its very obvious from looking through the EVF that its not stabilising as well)

I did wonder if it was on its way out as I had been seeing a lot of "Frame Jump" when taking a shot with IBIS on (where it look stable for a second then, with a clunk, the view jumps sidewise)

I'm waiting to hear back from Olympus support

Hope no one else ends up with this problem :(

Alpha1
24th October 2013, 11:43 AM
My IBIS system is now defunct, can't get it to work even after a couple of full resets.

It still makes a whirring sound as if something is working but no stabilisation.

Proven to have failed by the simple expedient of putting my 35-100 Panasonic on:

- IBIS off and OIS on - shutter speed = stable and sharp to value 1/4 focal length (1/25th sec with 100mm)

- IBIS on and OIS off - total blur under the same conditions (and likewise with all my Olympus lenses)

(Its very obvious from looking through the EVF that its not stabilising as well)

I did wonder if it was on its way out as I had been seeing a lot of "Frame Jump" when taking a shot with IBIS on (where it look stable for a second then, with a clunk, the view jumps sidewise)

Very sorry of learn of this Brian. I really didn't mean you to test to destruction!! But you are quite right, a camera with a pro description shouldn't be this troublesome at any stage in it's life cycle, but especially this early.

It is definitely the Olympus doctor for major surgery I fear.

Let's hope that this is just a bad copy and not the start of an epidemic. Although I am not totally surprised as I was never happy with auto-IBIS as I thought that this would be the answer for me forgetting to switch IBIS settings when panning! So reverted to IBIS 1 which is what I think you settled on too.

I am pleased that I have my E-M5 packed as a stand-by though!!

Ross the fiddler
24th October 2013, 11:51 AM

Sorry to hear of the troubles you're having but that also happened with some of the E-M5's in the beginning too. Ask Huw (Greytop).

brian1208
24th October 2013, 11:58 AM
I am pleased that I have my E-M5 packed as a stand-by though

Me too, I'm off to Scotney Castle this Saturday for some Autumn colour and I don't want to be camera-less :)

Thanks Ross, I thought I'd remembered reading something about the early EM-5s (got mine a bit after the launch, maybe that's why I missed that problem)

Alpha1
24th October 2013, 12:55 PM
It's always the early settlers that got the arrows in their backs.......and I'm one of 'em!

wellyboot
24th October 2013, 01:17 PM
That's such a shame Brian. I hope Olympus act quickly to sort this out for you.
Thank you for sharing, and keep us posted.

brian1208
24th October 2013, 01:38 PM
I hope Olympus act quickly to sort this out for you.

They are, so far Chris Dale has been first rate in his support role.

It goes of for repair / replacement Monday and I should get "it" back within 5 days or so.

For now, my EM-5 has emerged blinking into the sunlight. as soon as I switched it on it fired up as it should and gave me an instantly stabilised viewfinder - so at least I can complete my shoot on Saturday :)

(He confirmed that this thread is a useful resource for him, which he is monitoring, so let's keep the info coming, in as clear and factual way as possible)

StephenL
24th October 2013, 02:01 PM
Just for the record, I have suffered no further lock-ups since the single one I reported. However, I have not used Motor Drive (as I insist on calling it) since, as it does not usually form part of my photographic methods.

brian1208
24th October 2013, 02:07 PM
Motor Drive (as I insist on calling it)

A "Proper Photographer" who can remember the good old days *chr

Chevvyf1
24th October 2013, 04:02 PM
I took out 1 full charged battery and two with 35%-25% charge. The two with 35%-25% charge = lots of blackouts.

Brian sorry to hear of you ONEs breakdown :eek:

StephenL
24th October 2013, 04:13 PM
I took out 1 full charged battery and two with 35%-25% charge. The two with 35%-25% charge = lots of blackouts.

Brian sorry to hear of you ONEs breakdown :eek:
Was that also using CAF and/or motor drive, Chevvy? I've run batteries to the red on single focus/drive without lockup.

When mine did lockup, it was on the new battery, first time out, fully charged. (I'd previously been using seasoned M5 batteries).

Just trying to find commonality.

brian1208
24th October 2013, 04:17 PM
I shot a couple of low speed hand-held images with the EM-5, just to remind myself of what, at the minimum, I should have been getting with my EM-1

1/15th sec with f2.8, 100mm f2.8, ISO800

I forgot an important piece of data, I transferred both the battery and card direct from my EM-1 to the EM-5, just to confirm that neither of them was involved in the problem, as you can see - they worked fine in the EM-5

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com/images/sites/21/gallery/original/em-5-comparison-1-15th-sec-f2-8--100mm--iso-800-_1382631159.jpg

and 1/20th sec with f2.8,100mm, ISO1600

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com/images/sites/21/gallery/original/em-5-comparison-1-20th-sec-f2-8--100mm--iso-1600_1382631160.jpg

Not bad, considering I'm suffering from the shakes a bit!

Can't wait for EM-1 v2

bredman
24th October 2013, 04:24 PM
I've ran down 1 1/2 batteries today giving the 75-300 a good run and no lockups. Mainly C-AF but no CAF+Tr. I even kept it switched on for those periods in between as it bounced around (i usually switch it off) as a guy on another forum had his lockups this way. Touch wood.

brian1208
24th October 2013, 04:39 PM
Just before I got in touch with Chris Dale I switched on the EM-1 for a final check, total deadness requiring battery out.

This was with the new battery that came with the EM-1 and it was fully charged.

The camera had been reset to the factory default

Looks as if the fault may be somewhere associated with the IS?

Its still a confused picture

Chevvyf1
24th October 2013, 05:25 PM
Was that also using CAF and/or motor drive, Chevvy? I've run batteries to the red on single focus/drive without lockup.

When mine did lockup, it was on the new battery, first time out, fully charged. (I'd previously been using seasoned M5 batteries).

Just trying to find commonality.

C-AF and C-AF+Tr

and S-AF :eek:

jamsa
24th October 2013, 05:52 PM
I wonder if Mark or someone at Olympus UK could let us know if they are anywhere close to identifying the problem, or even if they have an idea as to what it is...
I would be reasonably re-assured at that time.
But silence would be worrying! The EM1 is costing me the equivelant of a very large proportion of my annual salary...I am asking for reassurance.

jamsa
25th October 2013, 08:03 PM
Just read on the E-M5 section of Tordan's third broken EM5 and IBIS faulted.....
Feeling the confidence drain away bit by bit....... Oh dear.....

bilbo
25th October 2013, 08:05 PM
Just read on the E-M5 section of Tordan's third broken EM5 and IBIS faulted.....
Feeling the confidence drain away bit by bit....... Oh dear.....Why? Are you buying a second hand E-M5?

brian1208
25th October 2013, 08:07 PM
I shouldn't let it drain too far jamsa, Tordan is having a rough time but there are very many of us with the EM-5 who have had no problems at all and I suspect it will turn out to be only a few of us here and elsewhere having a few problems with the EM-1.

All cameras, particularly new models with different design ideas appear to have the odd glitch, doesn't stop them being excellent tools though (I'm not giving up on mine - that's for sure :) )

jamsa
25th October 2013, 08:18 PM
I will never afford another camera at these prices and would expect my new one to last year's.... But I really wonder if the 2yr 6m warranty is long enough. An optional extended warranty might be a sure bet. I just think the em1 and 5 are made in a similar fashion and for a professional camera it should not give problems.... I have never known of such issues with any of the many cameras I have used over my lifetime.....

George Dorn
25th October 2013, 08:22 PM
Hopefully when it's my turn to take delivery, the sensor won't get covered in oil or the rubber grip cause an allergic reaction :D

brian1208
25th October 2013, 08:25 PM
Hopefully when it's my turn to take delivery, the sensor won't get covered in oil or the rubber grip cause an allergic reaction :D

Nor yet have focus problems (as some of the early 7Ds did, including one I had to have replaced) :p

George Dorn
25th October 2013, 08:44 PM
Tee-hee

My 7D has finally been sold to the fellow who had been borrowing it for some time. Oddly he has been eyeing up my PEN for backpacking!

My particular experience with it was worse than with my 4/3rds kit. But then landscapes don't fly or run around. ;)

Tordan58
25th October 2013, 09:58 PM
I shouldn't let it drain too far jamsa, Tordan is having a rough time but there are very many of us with the EM-5 who have had no problems at all and I suspect it will turn out to be only a few of us here and elsewhere having a few problems with the EM-1.

All cameras, particularly new models with different design ideas appear to have the odd glitch, doesn't stop them being excellent tools though (I'm not giving up on mine - that's for sure :) )
Having a rough time with the E-M5 is quite a good description. The camera takes great pictures but unfortunately the quality and reliability is way below what I would expect from a product with that price tag.

The past 6 months the camera has been out of order 2+ months, on its way to/from workshop. The last reparation (IBIS supposedly exchanged, camera supposedly checked) allowed me to take 10 pictures and then the IBIS broke again.

Carlos1
26th October 2013, 09:48 AM
Hi folks, new on here so hello to everyone.
I too have a focus problem. About 30% of my shots are blurred.
It happenes at all all apertures, from 1/10 upto 4000sec, totally inconsistant, one shot sharp, the next blurred. No apparent reason.
It happens on all lenses, all primes with latest firmware 12, 25, 45 and 75mm.
Looking at 200% some image outlines have a double image outline which makes them look blurred. IBIS problem ?
Repeated shots with EM-5 all tack sharp.
No lockups
Really disapointed with this so called pro camera.:mad::mad:
Any ideas out there, hav'nt tried reset yet, would it be worth trying.
HELP!!!!!!

David Morison
26th October 2013, 09:55 AM
Hi folks, new on here so hello to everyone.
I too have a focus problem. About 30% of my shots are blurred.
It happenes at all all apertures, from 1/10 upto 4000sec, totally inconsistant, one shot sharp, the next blurred. No apparent reason.
It happens on all lenses, all primes with latest firmware 12, 25, 45 and 75mm.
Looking at 200% some image outlines have a double image outline which makes them look blurred. IBIS problem ?
Repeated shots with EM-5 all tack sharp.
No lockups
Really disapointed with this so called pro camera.:mad::mad:
Any ideas out there, hav'nt tried reset yet, would it be worth trying.
HELP!!!!!!

Exactly what I had, but after a couple of weeks it all settled down and everything is fine. Certainly the results are typical of IBIS problems and I also experienced this on the E5 and E-M5 when new. I believe that the IBIS needs to bed in, not anyone else believes that but others have had this same problem. See how it goes in a couple of weeks I'm sure it will work out.

David

Carlos1
26th October 2013, 10:13 AM
Thanks David,
I hope you are right, this should not happen though.
You tend to lose confidense in youre equipment.
Hav'nt put a lot of shots through it due to bad weather, so see how it goes.
Geting better shots with my phone.

Carl

David Morison
26th October 2013, 10:47 AM
Thanks David,
I hope you are right, this should not happen though.
You tend to lose confidense in youre equipment.
Hav'nt put a lot of shots through it due to bad weather, so see how it goes.
Geting better shots with my phone.

Carl

Carl,
This is a thread I started recently, may help perhaps?

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29452

David

brian1208
27th October 2013, 03:45 PM
Just found an interesting comment from Ming Thein (with the EM-5)

Iíve found a particular combination of button presses that makes my OM-D lock up Ė admittedly itís probably one that only I use, but I thought people should be aware so they can avoid it:
1. Iíve got my camera set to Continuous-L, 4fps, RAW.
2. Play back a file
3. Press the Fn1 button to zoom to 10x, keep pressing to zoom out again to the screen that shows the zoom slider and thumbnail toggle (i.e. keep pressing the button)
4. At that screen, press the Fn2 button to protect the file
5. Youíll now find the camera has locked up and requires a battery removal.
6. The file will still be there, though.

from here

http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/06/19/olympus-om-d-lockup-problems/

It does begin to look as if its a sensitivity common to both camera bodies

birdboy
27th October 2013, 04:10 PM
Just found an interesting comment from Ming Thein (with the EM-5)

from here

http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/06/19/olympus-om-d-lockup-problems/

It does begin to look as if its a sensitivity common to both camera bodies

What is interesting about this is the number of actions the camera is being subjected too, all of which place a load on the microprocessor to do something.

I just wonder if those experiencing locks up are changing settings too quickly.

There are some 10+ buttons with more some with two functions are these buttons being inadvertently changed putting more load on the processor until it stuck in a loop hence requiring a reset?

I also note that there is a Full time AF option if that is on all the time that will also put extra load on the processor and combined with additional button presses cause lockups.

Regarding the IBIS on my E3 & E5 I when I switch from IS off to IS on I turn the camera on and off a few times as it seems to vibrate the mechanism and my thinking is that it will settle the sensor in it proper position.

Just some thoughts as I eagerly await my 12-40 kit.

Stu
27th October 2013, 05:22 PM
Has anyone compared serial number yet to see how far apart they are?

To me is seems to be a fixable issue. Not sure if it is firmware or hardware but gut feeling is it is firmware. Just the fact that when people reset the camera it works on more or all of the shutter speeds for a while and then might play up again later, sometimes on different speeds. Reseting the camera reminds me of Macs where sometimes you clear out the Pram setting and everything is back to normal again. It would make sense that this is something to do with the version 1 firmware that was not there is beta versions.

I would imagine Olympus will want to sort this out ASAP and will do. Just need to narrow down the source of the problem first of all. The fact it is intermittent makes it so much more difficult for them.

David Morison
28th October 2013, 06:43 AM
bia Tiger gia (http://edaily.vn/doi-song/tiger-translate-khan-gia-bia-tiger-da-lam-nen-chien-thang-d13183.html) tri thuong hieu hang dau the gioi

Here we go again!

Carlos1
28th October 2013, 07:42 AM
Hi Folks,
Another problem now.
I was looking at a shot I took ten days ago, simple test shot of a church tower 75mm f2.8 iso 200 5000sec. loveley and sharp, bags of detail against a blue sky.One in focus i thought.
Looking at 100% in LR, there are black spots all over the sky.
Cant be dust, i am very particular how i change lenses.
dust spots are usually round blurred blobs etc, these are perfectly square and at 400% there are about 40 of them all over the sky, dont know how many are hiding in the dark stone.
Dead pixels? 40 of them
This is turning out to be a very expensive doostop, and an anniversary present aswell:(:(:(:(:confused::confused::confused::confu sed:
This was the only shot with clear sky, weather has been too poor, so more testing on white paper today. I have'nt found out how to get pics on here yet , so cant post pic. may be someone will tell me please.

brian1208
28th October 2013, 07:57 AM
I wonder if what you are seeing is the PDAF pixels, are they in a regular pattern in the centre area of the frame?

Carlos1
28th October 2013, 08:28 AM
No, just dotted around all over the frame.

brian1208
28th October 2013, 08:53 AM
doesn't sound good does it :(

bilbo
28th October 2013, 08:57 AM
Run pixel mapping?

andym
28th October 2013, 09:03 AM
Hi Folks,
Another problem now.
I was looking at a shot I took ten days ago, simple test shot of a church tower 75mm f2.8 iso 200 5000sec. loveley and sharp, bags of detail against a blue sky.One in focus i thought.
Looking at 100% in LR, there are black spots all over the sky.
Cant be dust, i am very particular how i change lenses.
dust spots are usually round blurred blobs etc, these are perfectly square and at 400% there are about 40 of them all over the sky, dont know how many are hiding in the dark stone.
Dead pixels? 40 of them
This is turning out to be a very expensive doostop, and an anniversary present aswell:(:(:(:(:confused::confused::confused::confu sed:
This was the only shot with clear sky, weather has been too poor, so more testing on white paper today. I have'nt found out how to get pics on here yet , so cant post pic. may be someone will tell me please.

Was this shot in Raw??If so it could be that LR is only as they say on the Adobe site "preliminary" support and the de-mosaicing is not correct.
Try it through Olympus Viewer 3 and see if it makes any difference.

Then again I might be completely wrong*yes*yes

photo_owl
28th October 2013, 09:27 AM
Was this shot in Raw??If so it could be that LR is only as they say on the Abode site "preliminary" support and the de-mosaicing is not correct.
Try it through Olympus Viewer 3 and see if it makes any difference.

Then again I might be completely wrong*yes*yes

sensible consideration IMO

It will obviously help a lot when Carlos posts what he's seeing *owl

It also sounds like a subject worthy of it's own thread!

Carlos1
28th October 2013, 10:10 AM
Not raw, fine jpeg.
just about to do some testing, post back later.

Carlos1
28th October 2013, 10:30 AM
Just done some testing.
Used the 75 with same settings
Blue sky just opened up, also tried white wall, white paper and a sheet of white shiny plastic.
No black pixels. dont know whats going on with this camera.
Do'nt exactly inspire confidence does it!!!!!
Have not remapped pixels either.

jamsa
28th October 2013, 11:04 AM
You can host images on photobucket it's free and they provide links you just paste into your thread.

birdboy
28th October 2013, 11:07 AM
Could it be that these were small birds flying in the sky. That is whatever you saw was what was in the picture at that time. I know you said they were square dots but my thinking is that you may just have happened to have taken a shot of a flock of birds at a distance that coincided with the pixel resolution. Could be a stupid explanation I know but its worth thinking about.

photo_owl
28th October 2013, 11:13 AM
Just done some testing.
Used the 75 with same settings
Blue sky just opened up, also tried white wall, white paper and a sheet of white shiny plastic.
No black pixels. dont know whats going on with this camera.
Do'nt exactly inspire confidence does it!!!!!

have you considered distant birds?
foreground insects?

I only raise these as possible explanations to the particular image to show that there are frequently non technical answers to such matters before getting to either equipement failure or alien intervention become the only viable answer.

photo_owl
28th October 2013, 11:14 AM
Could it be that these were small birds flying in the sky. That is whatever you saw was what was in the picture at that time. I know you said they were square dots but my thinking is that you may just have happened to have taken a shot of a flock of birds at a distance that coincided with the pixel resolution. Could be a stupid explanation I know but its worth thinking about.

posts, and thinking, crossed *chr

raichea
28th October 2013, 01:05 PM
What is interesting about this is the number of actions the camera is being subjected too, all of which place a load on the microprocessor to do something.

I'm 99.9% certain any hang will be a firmware issue. This is a common problem in real-time, multitasking software systems (which is what a modern camera is). The problem in these cases is not load per se - as the processor has more demands placed on it, things should just slow down. The designer attempts to ensure that things the user will notice (ie, screen updates, response to button presses) get the highest priority so that these are the last to degrade. Less important things, such as updating the amount of free space on the memory card, are allowed to be delayed.

Unfortunately, it can be difficult to anticipate all possible paths through the code, particularly those that occur very infrequently - sometimes this results in the code ending up in a state that wasn't expected and a possible hang. These problems are sometimes called race hazards as the relative timing of two (or more) asynchronous events may shift under the circumstances causing the hang (the events are in a race, in effect).

Years ago, I worked on electronic fuel injection systems for luxury cars. One of our early prototypes had a problem that caused a brief misfire every 50 miles or so - statistics again! It was difficult to find the cause, but we did after a lot of work, only to discover another similar problem that occurred every few hundred miles - I'm not sure we ever figured that one out, it was so rare.

Steve.

Stu
28th October 2013, 01:18 PM
Possibly something not there with the beta firmware as well. When the camera is reset it perhaps clears the problem out but it then comes back quickly. Firmware does make sense as it is so inconsistent a problem.

birdboy
28th October 2013, 02:37 PM
I'm 99.9% certain any hang will be a firmware issue. This is a common problem in real-time, multitasking software systems (which is what a modern camera is). The problem in these cases is not load per se - as the processor has more demands placed on it, things should just slow down. The designer attempts to ensure that things the user will notice (ie, screen updates, response to button presses) get the highest priority so that these are the last to degrade. Less important things, such as updating the amount of free space on the memory card, are allowed to be delayed.

Unfortunately, it can be difficult to anticipate all possible paths through the code, particularly those that occur very infrequently - sometimes this results in the code ending up in a state that wasn't expected and a possible hang. These problems are sometimes called race hazards as the relative timing of two (or more) asynchronous events may shift under the circumstances causing the hang (the events are in a race, in effect).

Years ago, I worked on electronic fuel injection systems for luxury cars. One of our early prototypes had a problem that caused a brief misfire every 50 miles or so - statistics again! It was difficult to find the cause, but we did after a lot of work, only to discover another similar problem that occurred every few hundred miles - I'm not sure we ever figured that one out, it was so rare.

Steve.

Thanks for putting this more correctly Steve. The use of the word load was used too simply I can see that now. Its some time since I worked on microprocessors and their inputs and outputs. We used to call button presses (inputs and the likes) as causing an interrupts, each one having a priority set which would pause the particular instruction to be stopped while the particular interrupt was serviced. I have not come across the term race hazards before, but then in my day we did not have true multiprocessing. Life was so much simpler then.:)

Carlos1
28th October 2013, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the idea's, i did wonder about distant birds, can't say one way or the other.
I'm putting it down to square flies*yes

jamsa
28th October 2013, 05:24 PM
Static? Possibly a stupid suggestion...

bredman
28th October 2013, 05:39 PM
We need to see the images. Simple as that. Can an experienced member offer an email address so they can post up the images or just check it out and report back. I'm finding all the negative E-M1 talk a bit ott as mine seems to be ok*touches wood -- again*. We need to rule out user error first and foremost.

David Morison
28th October 2013, 05:57 PM

Wow, unintended BIF shots!

Although I have not had the pleasure of full lockups I have experienced erratic and unpredictable behaviour, but I'm not ruling out operator error!

David

Phill D
28th October 2013, 10:23 PM
I'm inclined to reserve judgement here as I'm lucky enough not to have seen any issues so far. Carlos can you please post some images so that we can all see what you are experiencing and be of some real help. Just upload the images to the gallery and then copy and paste the address into a post. This endless speculation is getting us nowhere.

Carlos1
29th October 2013, 11:45 AM
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1691/small_church_2.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/67052)

Finally found out how to get a photo on here. I THINK
This is a 300% crop, and as i said there are about 40 of these dotted around the frame.
These arn't distant birds, too uniform.

brian1208
29th October 2013, 12:52 PM
Probably a stupid question but have you tried giving the sensor a good blow with a Rocket style Blower?

I have seen something like this in the past with one of my canon bodies and it turned out to be pollen grains on the sensor. A good hard "Puff" cleared it completely

jamsa
29th October 2013, 12:55 PM
It does look like temporary "dead pixels" or some other pixel issue as you say they are square dots and too uniform....

I really hope it was/is a one off and that you don't have it long term.

bilbo
29th October 2013, 01:05 PM
Probably a stupid question but have you tried giving the sensor a good blow with a Rocket style Blower?

I have seen something like this in the past with one of my canon bodies and it turned out to be pollen grains on the sensor. A good hard "Puff" cleared it completelyCarl has already posted that the mysterious spots have mysteriously disappeared... :)

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showpost.php?p=259930&postcount=142

bredman
29th October 2013, 01:11 PM
Odd. Wont they be small clusters of pixels.

Chevvyf1
29th October 2013, 01:20 PM
Carl has already posted that the mysterious spots have mysteriously disappeared... :)

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showpost.php?p=259930&postcount=142

Brian not seen that ?

Ah! have now post 142 :)

Carlos1
29th October 2013, 01:31 PM
Hi all,
Had a look at sensor with a 12x loupe, and is clean.
Cant get it to repeat.
Don't like UFO's (unexplained framed objects)

Peter_Hartland
29th October 2013, 03:38 PM
Todate (owned mine since 27 Sept) I have not exprienced this & have taken quite a few images of motorbikes & cars on track. Took 500 images this weekend.

jamsa
29th October 2013, 03:53 PM
That's good to hear.... Hope the issues are limited to unfortunate few....

birdboy
29th October 2013, 04:47 PM
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1691/small_church_2.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/67052)

Finally found out how to get a photo on here. I THINK
This is a 300% crop, and as i said there are about 40 of these dotted around the frame.
These arn't distant birds, too uniform.

A picture paints a thousand words.

I agree not distance birds but I would suggest something that crept in during a lens change? I do not know the differenct between dust on the lens and that on the sensor. I am assumimg it was on the sensor, because it is not there now and proof that the Oly lens clearing system works*clap

birdboy
29th October 2013, 04:48 PM
Todate (owned mine since 27 Sept) I have not exprienced this & have taken quite a few images of motorbikes & cars on track. Took 500 images this weekend.

Any examples would love to see.

Phill D
29th October 2013, 08:34 PM
Those dots are pretty weird. They don't look like any sensor dust I've ever seen before. Maybe an electronic aberration? Good that they've gone now.

pdk42
29th October 2013, 11:01 PM
Unless you're using an insanely small aperture, this is definitely not dust. Dust, if present, will be on the outermost panel (the anti-dust shaker) which is some distance (comparatively) from the sensor; as such, it will appear as diffuse blobs.

The example here certainly looks like pixel data is missing, but it's clearly random pixels being affected which might indicate some sort of electromagnetic interference whilst reading the pixel data from the sensor cells.

bredman
29th October 2013, 11:56 PM
It may be worthwhile for a mod to carve this pixel mystery out into it's own thread. It would be interesting to see what the outcome of this may be.

anroo
3rd November 2013, 08:39 PM
Currently on an overseas trip to sunny climes - yesterday had two lock ups while taking sequences of runners and using caf. Both times resulted in losing the close shots I was after. Hope this doesn't continue for the whole trip.

Chevvyf1
4th November 2013, 08:53 PM
Currently on an overseas trip to sunny climes - yesterday had two lock ups while taking sequences of runners and using caf. Both times resulted in losing the close shots I was after. Hope this doesn't continue for the whole trip.

Sorry to hear this, what chip were you using ?

I have been away and using 95 MB/s cards and C-AF+Tr AND NO BLACKOUTS/LOCKUPS :) :cool:

anroo
4th November 2013, 10:09 PM
Hi, It happened with both a SanDisk Extreme Pro (95 mb/s) and a Transcend 600x (90mb/s). It was also a hot day and I was out in the sun with the EM1 for about 4-5 hours so I do wonder if heat had something to do with it. It's all a bit annoying to have these lock ups during 'key' sequences during the Noosa Triathlon as I've had no others. Fingers crossed that its ok for the rest of the trip.

brian1208
5th November 2013, 09:27 AM
I've just received confirmation that a replacement body is on its way back to me from Portugal (thanks Chris). Looking at the serial numbers it appears to be an earlier body than the one I purchased from Jessops, so lets hope all the bugs have been removed before despatch.

If I get it in time today I will give it a work out on a shoot tomorrow (going to Petworth House and Park and hope to see some of the Stags in action if I'm lucky)

Chevvyf1
5th November 2013, 10:05 AM
I've just received confirmation that a replacement body is on its way back to me from Portugal (thanks Chris). Looking at the serial numbers it appears to be an earlier body than the one I purchased from Jessops, so lets hope all the bugs have been removed before despatch.

If I get it in time today I will give it a work out on a shoot tomorrow (going to Petworth House and Park and hope to see some of the Stags in action if I'm lucky)

thought of a weekend jolly out there :) for the Stags :) *chr

Chevvyf1
5th November 2013, 10:43 AM
Just a thought - what size cards is everyone using ?

it may be big cards are overloading the system and unlike, Windows OS - there is no cache for when RAM is exceeded to buffer ?

brian1208
5th November 2013, 10:46 AM
Primary card used is a Lexar Pro 32gb 400X (95mbps? ) + a range of other class 10 16b and 8gb cards

StephenL
5th November 2013, 10:54 AM
Only use 16Gb cards. (Sandisk Extreme 45Mbps class 10) On the occasion it locked up, I only had a couple of bursts of 7 shots with minutes inbetween, so I don't think it's a buffering problem in my (unrepeated) case.

brian1208
5th November 2013, 10:57 AM
The Postie has just delivered my battery grip from Germany :)

no MM-3 adapter - yet (but I registered for that later)

either they haven't accepted my claim for that or it will arrive some time in the future, more "wait and see time"

All I need now is my camera! :D

Chevvyf1
5th November 2013, 01:23 PM
Primary card used is a Lexar Pro 32gb 400X (95mbps? ) + a range of other class 10 16b and 8gb cards

Brian, I only use 8 Gb cards - because I do not want to "lose more than that amount of images" if a card fails on a holiday/day out. Also it is a more manageable amount of Gb to review, prior to upload/delete on my small laptop when we are away travelling and loading to an ext HDD for backup :)

Maybe,larger chips 'cooked' the processor ? processing units tend to get hot under load !

brian1208
5th November 2013, 01:39 PM
if "Larger chips" are the problem its an Olympus problem as they specify no limit to card size

I don't think its very likely to be honest as I am using the same cards without problem in my EM-5

Chevvyf1
5th November 2013, 02:06 PM
if "Larger chips" are the problem its an Olympus problem as they specify no limit to card size

I don't think its very likely to be honest as I am using the same cards without problem in my EM-5

Brian, I hear what you are saying BUT the 5 is very different to the ONE :D

I am just going on my Exp with IBM on the Study group at Boca Raton, factory in 1981 :eek: and PC/DOS prototype O/S and even 3.1 et al read/write to silly 8" floppy disks :)

Yes, I agree its an Olympus problem :cool:

StephenL
5th November 2013, 03:23 PM
Brian, I hear what you are saying BUT the 5 is very different to the ONE :D

I am just going on my Exp with IBM on the Study group at Boca Raton, factory in 1981 :eek: and PC/DOS prototype O/S and even 3.1 et al read/write to silly 8" floppy disks :)

Yes, I agree its an Olympus problem :cool:

32Gb is small-fry now in the world of SD cards. As to the link with IBM 8" floppies in 1981 ...

Of course, if you have evidence to the contrary, I'm sure Olympus would be delighted to hear from you. By phone or email.

Maczero
5th November 2013, 10:34 PM
Adding to the database.

Two lockups today (in quick succession).

Set up was: E-M1, 50-200 non SWD, EC-14, MMF1 (waiting for my MMF3!).

Settings were: C-AF TR, Shutter priority (c 1/1600 I think), Iso Auto. Battery two out of three segments showing. Spot metering, -.7 EV exposure compensation (trying for gulls!).

Weather: cold (around freezing).

Symptoms: VF 'froze' after locking on and then releasing the tracking box. No adverse sounds, noise, vibration etc. The camera simply 'got stuck'.

Remedy: switch off, remove battery, insert battery, switch on, carry on shooting.

Comment: I don't think that this can be attributed solely to battery level as I carried on shooting using a mixture of C-AF and C-AF TR until the battery dies without this happening again. I can't see what mixture of signals is locking up the camera's brain.

Andrew

StephenL
6th November 2013, 07:47 AM
Adding to the database.

Two lockups today (in quick succession).

Set up was: E-M1, 50-200 non SWD, EC-14, MMF1 (waiting for my MMF3!).

Settings were: C-AF TR, Shutter priority (c 1/1600 I think), Iso Auto. Battery two out of three segments showing. Spot metering, -.7 EV exposure compensation (trying for gulls!).

Weather: cold (around freezing).

Symptoms: VF 'froze' after locking on and then releasing the tracking box. No adverse sounds, noise, vibration etc. The camera simply 'got stuck'.

Remedy: switch off, remove battery, insert battery, switch on, carry on shooting.

Comment: I don't think that this can be attributed solely to battery level as I carried on shooting using a mixture of C-AF and C-AF TR until the battery dies without this happening again. I can't see what mixture of signals is locking up the camera's brain.

Andrew

At the risk of repeating myself, incidents should be reported directly to Olympus. OK, they're monitoring this forum, but by individual reporting the incidents can be officially logged, and additional information asked of the reporter. :)

Chevvyf1
6th November 2013, 08:16 AM
32Gb is small-fry now in the world of SD cards. As to the link with IBM 8" floppies in 1981 ...

Of course, if you have evidence to the contrary, I'm sure Olympus would be delighted to hear from you. By phone or email.

Sorry Stephen you missed my key point - was in the "process" of "writing" from a powerful "processor (in camera)" to a "chip (storage device)" :) of a WORM :)

the ONE is a very complex series of processes - when using AF :( one set of instructions defined by the lens attached ; another set of instructions defined by a multitude of settings :D

From a Systems Design point of view - albeit mine is from way back on the IBM PC Study days of the intricacies of these processes ... the common factor "its NEW" (then to IBM and the World) NOW to Olympus and Our World :)

It was reported that Olympus deferred this Launch after taking a number of "bodies/lenses to the Olympics in London 2012 going back to the drawing board on the complexity of defining compatibility for 4/3rd and m4/3rd lenses :0

So, it is little wonder we are having a few problems in this area of operation. Bench testing never ironed all the bugs out of any system :cool:

StephenL
6th November 2013, 08:23 AM
Thanks for this. I'm sure Olympus never knew it was so complex.

PS I don't think an SD card can be defined as a WORM - Write Once Read Manytimes device.

Chevvyf1
6th November 2013, 09:05 AM
Thanks for this. I'm sure Olympus never knew it was so complex.

PS I don't think an SD card can be defined as a WORM - Write Once Read Manytimes device.

Sorry again Stephen - the WORM in this case is the camera processor - Write ONCE - to card may thus be READ Manytimes :) :D

see in the bit you did not include in your quote, I clearly defined the process

"Sorry Stephen you missed my key point - was in the "process" of "writing" from a powerful "processor (in camera)" to a "chip (storage device)" of a WORM "

brian1208
6th November 2013, 07:38 PM
I now have the camera, arrived after I left but a kind neighbour took it in.

As it turned out, all the Petworth Fallow Deer were in hiding so all I had to shoot were a few, pretty average, landscapes. So the lack of the EM-1 was not a worry.

Thought this message from Chris was worth sharing amongst those of us who are trying to get the most from sport and BIF shooting:

When you do get the camera back i would advise that you not push the camera quite so hard until we have further information on a possible resolution to this lock up issue.

Which does sound as if:

a - the problem has been confirmed

b - a solution is not yet available

I hope to have a chance to test (gently) my replacement body tomorrow and will let you know how I get on

Once again my thanks to Chris for his sterling efforts on my behalf and please keep the factual data coming in on any more instances of lock-up to help Olympus track down and resolve this problem

StephenL
6th November 2013, 07:46 PM
Now you've got it back, I'll be interested to hear your views on the IS and if you consider it different to your initial camera.

brian1208
7th November 2013, 07:16 AM
only a couple of quick shots with it so far Stephen but the most noticeable difference I've spotted so far is that the IS engages with an audible "whirr" and seems to be holding the image rock steady in the EVF

Also, there are, so far, no signs of the sensor doing a "Jump to the Left" when half-pressing the shutter button.

On my first body it was always obvious if it was on or off when framing a shot but quite a few occurrences of the sensor jump

More testing over the next few days and I will report back anything of note (even if to say there are no more problems - I hope!)

brian1208
7th November 2013, 12:46 PM
A quick update on IS when manual focusing, I now observe the effect that when the IS switches off in manual focusing it stays on until I press another button, as reported elsewhere on this site (can't remember who raised it sorry)

So it would appear that my IS is now behaving normally :)

David Morison
7th November 2013, 01:46 PM
A quick update on IS when manual focusing, I now observe the effect that when the IS switches off in manual focusing it stays on until I press another button, as reported elsewhere on this site (can't remember who raised it sorry)

So it would appear that my IS is now behaving normally :)

It was I that first posted this, but after further investigation I discovered it only happens in MF mode when magnification is activated.

David

brian1208
7th November 2013, 02:17 PM
Thanks David, yes - that's what I am seeing too

pdk42
7th November 2013, 03:35 PM
I don't have an E-M1, but reading the thread, am I right in thinking that the lock-ups seem to be restricted (or more frequent) when using 4/3 lenses?

StephenL
7th November 2013, 03:46 PM
I don't have an E-M1, but reading the thread, am I right in thinking that the lock-ups seem to be restricted (or more frequent) when using 4/3 lenses?
My only, unrepeated, lock-up was using an m4/3 75-300 lens.

brian1208
7th November 2013, 05:04 PM

I only have M4/3rds lenses yet have ended up having my EM-1 replaced when the original became unusable as a result of repeated lock-ups,

so my guess is that you are not right in you thought that it was mainly with 4/3rds lenses

Chevvyf1
7th November 2013, 06:29 PM
... am I right in thinking that the lock-ups seem to be restricted (or more frequent) when using 4/3 lenses?

NO ! all my blackouts have been with Zuiko m.4/3 lenses :eek:

pdk42
7th November 2013, 08:40 PM
Ah, ok. Sorry, must have got the wrong end of the stick, or been very selective in my reading of posts!

wellyboot
8th November 2013, 01:55 PM
only a couple of quick shots with it so far Stephen but the most noticeable difference I've spotted so far is that the IS engages with an audible "whirr" and seems to be holding the image rock steady in the EVF

Good to know that you too are hearing the IBIS, Brian. To my ears it is very noisy and almost rattle like.
I wondered if it was a fault, but it seems as though that is how it should be!

brian1208
8th November 2013, 02:33 PM
Yes, its much as it was with the EM-5, silent until you half-press the shutter button, then a comforting whirr to let you know its working (reminds me of the sound my canon 300 f4 LIS used to make - nice :)

Chevvyf1
8th November 2013, 06:30 PM
Yes, its much as it was with the EM-5, silent until you half-press the shutter button, then a comforting whirr to let you know its working (reminds me of the sound my canon 300 f4 LIS used to make - nice :)

Personally, I like the "K-lickk" of the E-! :) *chr

bredman
10th November 2013, 05:45 PM
For the last few days i've lost confidence in this camera. And Olympus. Then, today, a lock up with the 12-40 lens on it. Stood there for an hour and when something shows up the camera locks up :(. Not quite the same as previous descriptions but it required the removal of the battery. BS :(.

jamsa
10th November 2013, 05:48 PM
For the last few days i've lost confidence in this camera. And Olympus. Then, today, a lock up with the 12-40 lens on it. Stood there for an hour and when something shows up the camera locks up :(. Not quite the same as previous descriptions but it required the removal of the battery. BS :(.

Were you using continual focus, single focus or manual focus with the 12-40?
This is the serious issue when it locks up..if you can't take a photo when you want with the certainty of it being recorded there is no point in having the camera...
Will you take it back to the retailer as not of merchantable quality or persevere?

StephenL
10th November 2013, 06:03 PM
That's bad to hear. No matter what, you need to report it to Olympus.

birdboy
10th November 2013, 06:17 PM

Really sorry to hear this but fully understand your frustration.

Did you have it in C-AF or C-AF TR and was Rls Priority C set to Off?
Was IS set to SIS Auto?
What shutter speed was it set to?

I think these represents the worst settings for the EM1 and I stay clear, particularly I have Rls Priority set to On? Not had any lockups yet.

Chevvyf1
10th November 2013, 07:00 PM

Sorry to hear this ! :(

brian1208
10th November 2013, 07:04 PM
Sorry to hear that you are having problems too Pete, its looking more and more as if there is an underlying problem here.

Let's hope we hear something from Olympus soon as it needs resolving before the reputation of this camera is blown

It does seem to be localised to the UK mainly though, at least, I haven't seen much reported elsewhere on the web, but that may just be a false impression

bredman
10th November 2013, 07:58 PM
I was called away from the computer. Back now and calmer :).

Was shooting short bursts on low burst rate and suddenly the shutter just stopped firing. All buttons become unresponsive including the off switch. It still switched to evf when raised to my eye but everything else was dead. It was on CAF, IS1, RLS priority C was ON, aperture priority. 95mbs card, battery full etc. I was shooting at about 1/500 to 1/640 sec. and there was nothing odd concerning the image i.e. it locked up quietly and calmly. When working again all settings were reset to when i first turned it on earlier today.

Everything was pretty much set to normal. First time with the 12-40 lens so maybe the electronics were still getting to know one another. The lockup seems to be quite different to the ones described here.

I shall inform Olympus, but otherwise carry on as if nothing ever happened -- and hope that's the end of it.

photo_owl
10th November 2013, 08:33 PM
...First time with the 12-40 lens so maybe the electronics were still getting to know one another.

I shall inform Olympus, but otherwise carry on as if nothing ever happened -- and hope that's the end of it.

whilst it's nice to think in terms of friendly electronics it's good to report things - they may (should) ask for the original file of the last image recorded so do keep it.

bredman
10th November 2013, 09:43 PM
whilst it's nice to think in terms of friendly electronics it's good to report things - they may (should) ask for the original file of the last image recorded so do keep it.

Just tongue-in-cheek p_o :). I do have the image if needed.

iirc someone has mentioned the guy at Olympus who is monitoring lock ups. Does anyone recall his name and contact details?

brian1208
10th November 2013, 09:47 PM
His name is Christopher Dale and his e-mail is customer.support@olympus.co.uk

He has been following this thread (and others here I believe) to keep tabs on what is happening

bredman
10th November 2013, 10:49 PM
Thanks Brian, i knew there was a Dale in there. :)

Wee man
19th November 2013, 10:58 AM
Had first lock up / freeze? Changed battery to fully charged one , switched on super control screen came on shutter speed showed aperture flashed (in A) but nothing worked switched off and back on same thing. Put original battery back in all well; changed back to second battery all well. Strange. Will pass it on.

OM USer
19th November 2013, 01:05 PM
My E-M5 froze on me a couple of days ago. First time this has happened. I turned it off after reviewing my last pocture and put it down on the table only to find the screen was still on. On/Off again didn't make any difference. But swiping the screen went to the next picture and the off button started working again. Odd.

bredman
19th November 2013, 08:45 PM
Was shooting short bursts on low burst rate and suddenly the shutter just stopped firing. All buttons become unresponsive including the off switch. It still switched to evf when raised to my eye but everything else was dead. It was on CAF, IS1, RLS priority C was ON, aperture priority. 95mbs card, battery full etc. I was shooting at about 1/500 to 1/640 sec.

Everything was pretty much set to normal. First time with the 12-40 lens

Aaarrrggghhh. Another lockup. Just as the first^^ but this time the 75-300. Doing the same thing -- even stood in the same spot -- firing short bursts at small flocks of birds against a setting sun. I have the details and will send them. I my opinion this is a faulty camera.

The moment of the lockup was silent, one moment shooting fine and without taking the camera from my eye and 1/4 second later the shutter was unresponsive and it wouldn't switch off. Upon removing the battery from the holder it of course changed battery source and remained locked. Annoying as more time arsing around not taking photographs. As i removed the battery holder the camera switched off before i removed the camera battery !!!

jamsa
19th November 2013, 09:18 PM
I my opinion this is a faulty camera.

Do you mean you think all EM1's are faulty atm or just the one you have?

Chevvyf1
19th November 2013, 10:20 PM
Do you mean you think all EM1's are faulty atm or just the one you have?

I think, as was, in the 1980's Computing Industry, this is still known as "a Glitch" or "a bug" of an area of functionality "ripe for enhancement"

otherwise known as "IF SO" ...

intermittent fault sometimes occurring *chr

brian1208
19th November 2013, 10:29 PM
Aaarrrggghhh. Another lockup. Just as the first^^ but this time the 75-300. Doing the same thing -- even stood in the same spot -- firing short bursts at small flocks of birds against a setting sun. I have the details and will send them. I my opinion this is a faulty camera.

The moment of the lockup was silent, one moment shooting fine and without taking the camera from my eye and 1/4 second later the shutter was unresponsive and it wouldn't switch off. Upon removing the battery from the holder it of course changed battery source and remained locked. Annoying as more time arsing around not taking photographs. As i removed the battery holder the camera switched off before i removed the camera battery !!!

I'm sorry to say that more or less replicates the lock-ups I was having before it final gave up the ghost and the IS went too (except I didn't have the battery grip on at that stage)

So far the replacement body hasn't played up so I'm hoping it is not a generic problem with the EM-1

It would be good to hear something back from Olympus Support on this though, its gone a bit quiet at the moment

bredman
19th November 2013, 11:42 PM
I just re read the early posts. I wrongly assumed y'all were getting a clunk and shifting evf, but i see that's not the case.

I'll contact Olympus directly tomorrow. I'm also getting too many blurred shots -- way more than the em5.

brian1208
20th November 2013, 07:39 AM
Have you tried putting it on the tripod to take the shot, then taking the same shot hand-held with IS on / off

(I confirmed my IS had gone AWOL by using a Panasonic lens with OIS and took the same shot using IBIS on / OIS off then OIS on and IBIS which showed clear evidence of blur using IBIS)

Chevvyf1
20th November 2013, 09:20 AM
Have you tried putting it on the tripod to take the shot, then taking the same shot hand-held with IS on / off

(I confirmed my IS had gone AWOL by using a Panasonic lens with OIS and took the same shot using IBIS on / OIS off then OIS on and IBIS which showed clear evidence of blur using IBIS)

From what I hear from B & H New York (my USA supplier) and SRS (my UK supplier) Olympus are going flat out to get the solution into the market :)

StephenL
20th November 2013, 09:38 AM
From what I hear from B & H New York (my USA supplier) and SRS (my UK supplier) Olympus are going flat out to get the solution into the market :)
Interesting. From what I read (which by no means is everything) it's not been an issue in the US, so quite why B&H are commenting I don't know.

But it is perplexing that this seems to only being experienced in Western Europe. :confused:

brian1208
20th November 2013, 11:14 AM
Odd isn't it, I've only spotted a couple of reported problems from the States.

Maybe they don't tend to use their cameras in the same way or maybe we are getting sourced from a different factory?

Until we see the output from Olympus support we don't even know what is causing the problem so its hard to even make a guess

DerekW
20th November 2013, 12:37 PM
Depth of use - often not as deep in the US cf UK

Chevvyf1
20th November 2013, 01:11 PM
Interesting. From what I read (which by no means is everything) it's not been an issue in the US, so quite why B&H are commenting I don't know.

But it is perplexing that this seems to only being experienced in Western Europe. :confused:

Well B & H are one of the Biggest photo & electronics stores in NY :D and an Olympus Dealer for many years too :) and they get the Olympus Dealer Updates to product lines :)

Maybe, you have not heard of it happening in the US but they have :) :eek:
I belong to some US Forums where it has been widely discussed - as happening in the USA :) :D

PS Just as I have USA ONE Body ... and lenses ... others may have a European body :) and lenses too :eek:
pps in addition to my SRS ONE body + lenses

bredman
20th November 2013, 05:05 PM
I just spoke with Oly support and the guy i spoke with (Chris Dale is on holiday this week) seems to think an answer (or at least some info) could be as soon as next week.

brian1208
20th November 2013, 05:16 PM
Fingers crossed that's right and they have the answer Pete.

I'm mollycoddling my replacement at the moment and want to be ready for the next decent on-shore wind when the Kiters and Windsurfers are out.

Then it will be time to make it work for its living! :D

Chevvyf1
20th November 2013, 05:28 PM
I just spoke with Oly support and the guy i spoke with (Chris Dale is on holiday this week) seems to think an answer (or at least some info) could be as soon as next week.

NOW thats the best news I have heard in weeks :) Yaroo :) :D *chr

Wee man
20th November 2013, 05:32 PM
I got a thank you for passing on my info with a similar message, things seem to be moving. If you have had a problem let Olympus know the more data they have will help with a solution.

brian1208
28th November 2013, 01:40 PM
A quick update with the story so far, Chris Dale from Olympus Support e-mailed me this morning to let me know the new firmware was out - yet another example of how well he has been working to support me with this problem, well done Chris and thanks :)

My replacement camera continues to work well and now I have v1.1 installed I can take the brakes off and go play at being a proper photographer again :D

Olybirder
28th November 2013, 01:48 PM
I don't suppose he said which part of the update is meant to address the lock up problem Brian?

Ron

Chevvyf1
28th November 2013, 01:53 PM
A quick update with the story so far, Chris Dale from Olympus Support e-mailed me this morning to let me know the new firmware was out - yet another example of how well he has been working to support me with this problem, well done Chris and thanks :)

My replacement camera continues to work well and now I have v1.1 installed I can take the brakes off and go play at being a proper photographer again :D

THIS is exceedingly great news :) *chr

brian1208
28th November 2013, 02:11 PM
I don't suppose he said which part of the update is meant to address the lock up problem Brian?

Ron

Nope, but I didn't really expect him too :)

Just so long as the job is done, I'm happy

bredman
28th November 2013, 03:55 PM

Ron

I have just been told the suspect for the lock ups was the caf draining power resulting in the IBIS failing.

The fix is (apparently) in the firmware. Anyone that has had a lockup must do a full reset.

Basically if it happens again i'm to contact Chris immediately.

So get working those M1s.

brian1208
28th November 2013, 04:18 PM
Nice one Pete, that is a very interesting bit of info (sort of confirms where we had got to in our thinking here?)

He's a good lad Chris :)

Olybirder
28th November 2013, 04:19 PM
Thanks Pete. I hope the software update does the trick (although, touch wood, my camera hasn't locked up so far.) I thought that some people had had lock ups when using SAF but, skimming though this thread, it seems that the vast majority have been in CAF mode. Here's hoping the problem is solved. *chr

Ron

paullus
28th November 2013, 05:43 PM
I've just done the update although I never experienced a lock-up and now I hope I never do.

The improvements following the firmware updates are as follows:
OM-D E-M1 Version 1.1

• Live Bulb image quality while noise reduction is on has been improved
• Improved AF operation
*• Image stabilisation in sports, children mode and C-AF has been improved*
• Chromatic aberration caused by LUMIX G VARIO 14-140mm 1:3.5-5.6 ASPH/POWER O.I.S (H-FS14140)

** I assume this is the fix for the lock-up.

Steve

photo_owl
28th November 2013, 06:27 PM
*• Image stabilisation in sports, children mode and C-AF has been improved*

** I assume this is the fix for the lock-up.

Steve

this appears to be how many ae viewing this, however I remain confused because in both these modes you have Seq (L), C-AF but IS is off - this latter is also the default situation for all C-AF shooting with any Seq shutter release setting.

anyhow, whatever the cause was for those who experienced whatever they experienced, I hope they find things improved *chr

bredman
29th November 2013, 09:45 AM
Not a lock up but something very strange happened. I'll post it here (working all night and finally about to go to bed so while it's still fresh). Just in case i need it in the future.

The firmware update went fine yesterday. As advised by Olympus i figured i'd do the full reset after 3 lockups. Then i quickly put some of my preferred settings back in the cogs.

I half pressed the shutter to bring up live view and proceeded to take a shot. I got this.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5510/11113880805_75138e24f9_o.png

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5494/11113934234_258ec55589_c.jpg

I took a further three shots of a wall that i couldn't see because the SCP was suddenly stuck on the lcd. Pressing the live view button to the left of the eyepiece was doing nothing. After those three shots the shutter stopped firing and the IBIS wouldn't start up. Same lens on and still couldn't shift the SCP. I tried more lenses, the 75-300, the 12-40, a manual lens, and the 17/1.8. Still nothing. I did another reset. All black and all silent except i could alter the SCP settings, and i could switch on magnify which activated the IBIS, i could access the MENU and alter stuff in there. Swapped the lenses again making sure they were locked in. After 40 minutes i put the 17/1.8 back on for the third time and suddenly everything woke up. The live view button decided to work.

I reckon the camera suddenly wasn't detecting the lenses, then suddenly decided to. I'm not certain it was an issue with the contacts though, although that would be ok with me, i'm just thrown by the grey image, never had one of those before.

Anyone know what that grey image means? It all went odd after that, and wouldn't settle for about 40 minutes.

brian1208
29th November 2013, 11:15 AM
that's a bit disturbing Pete, I have seen nothing like it with my EM-1 body that failed

Maybe worth an e-mail to Chris in case he has heard of it before?

ajwh
29th November 2013, 11:16 AM
I don't know if it's relevant, but I was reading the manual (yes, I know it's cheating) and on p92

Release Lag-Time: If [Short] is selected, the time lag between fully pressing the shutter button and the shot being taken can be shortened.*

The asterisk then links to:

* This will shorten the battery life. Also make sure that the camera is not subject to sharp impacts while in use. Such impacts may cause the monitor to stop displaying subjects. If this happens, turn the power off and on again.

Not intuitive - and I know this setting has been discussed over the issue of shutter shock.

pault
29th November 2013, 11:45 AM
Hi. Just had a lock-up, firmware 1.1. using 75-300, CAF, 9 sensor focus grid. Focusing on object about 1m distance, at 75mm. whilst zooming towards 300mm got lock-up. As you zoom camera cannot find focus and locked. So maybe I was using at extreme point of camera firmware ability, i.e was being unfair to the camera system.
Should I report this?

StephenL
29th November 2013, 11:52 AM
In my opinion, yes. Olympus want and need to know of any faults discovered, in case they can spot a trend.

pault
29th November 2013, 12:07 PM
Hi, email sent to Chris Dale

Stu
30th November 2013, 09:55 AM
I have just been told the suspect for the lock ups was the caf draining power resulting in the IBIS failing.

The fix is (apparently) in the firmware. Anyone that has had a lockup must do a full reset.

Basically if it happens again i'm to contact Chris immediately.

So get working those M1s.

I emailed Chris earlier this week again but have heard nothing. Tried called on Friday but discovered they close at 2.30pm Prague time on a Friday. I am still trying to find out what is happening about the blurred imaging/double imaging at certain shutters speeds with different lenses that I have had and some other people even with replacement cameras.

Was this caf draining power resulting in IBIS failing tied into that? Although have to say I have never used caf.

One thing I find interesting is that if the lock up fix is in this firmware update why is it not listed in the fixes? I see there is already one person that has had a lock up since doing the update. Are other people still getting the blurred imaging/double imaging?

Chevvyf1
30th November 2013, 10:02 AM
I emailed Chris earlier this week again but have heard nothing. Tried called on Friday but discovered they close at 2.30pm Prague time on a Friday. I am still trying to find out what is happening about the blurred imaging/double imaging at certain shutters speeds with different lenses that I have had and some other people even with replacement cameras.

Was this caf draining power resulting in IBIS failing tied into that? Although have to say I have never used caf.

One thing I find interesting is that if the lock up fix is in this firmware update why is it not listed in the fixes? I see there is already one person that has had a lock up since doing the update. Are other people still getting the blurred imaging/double imaging?

Stu, Hi :) Ages ago ... must have been in first two weeks - I posted I had "Blackouts" where focus locked and some images were half viewed/half black screen - perhaps mino is the mono version ONE :rolleyes: and your grey is the colour version :rolleyes: - I am hoping this V 1.1 solves this problem

Since I used 95mp/sec level 10 cards of 8Gb this problem has not occurred.

Stu
30th November 2013, 10:16 AM
Stu, Hi :) Ages ago ... must have been in first two weeks - I posted I had "Blackouts" where focus locked and some images were half viewed/half black screen - perhaps mino is the mono version ONE :rolleyes: and your grey is the colour version :rolleyes: - I am hoping this V 1.1 solves this problem

Since I used 95mp/sec level 10 cards of 8Gb this problem has not occurred.

Interesting Chevvyf1.

I see you live in Winchester as well. We live very very close! Ducati's as well. Had a friend who has since moved abroad from this area with a tri-colour.

Chevvyf1
30th November 2013, 10:24 AM
Interesting Chevvyf1.

I see you live in Winchester as well. We live very very close! Ducati's as well. Had a friend who has since moved abroad from this area with a tri-colour.

Ho! Ho! we both live in Winchester ? We are in Kings Worthy and you are in ?

Regarding these "ONE problems" I fear the Spec of functionality is above the processor capability in some ways. It is such a complex bit of kit ! as I stated back a few pages ... Olympus are breaking the mould :)

I have not updated either of mine yet - we are currently having broadband hic-cups and the last thing I want is to crash during update :eek: ... so when its quite and AOL is not, I shall update about 5am :)

Just about to list a Ducati for sale ... someone may want it as a Christmas Pressie to self :) :cool:

Stu
30th November 2013, 10:35 AM
Ho! Ho! we both live in Winchester ? We are in Kings Worthy and you are in ?

Regarding these "ONE problems" I fear the Spec of functionality is above the processor capability in some ways. It is such a complex bit of kit ! as I stated back a few pages ... Olympus are breaking the mould :)

I have not updated either of mine yet - we are currently having broadband hic-cups and the last thing I want is to crash during update :eek: ... so when its quite and AOL is not, I shall update about 5am :)

Just about to list a Ducati for sale ... someone may want it as a Christmas Pressie to self :) :cool:

Chandler's Ford.

I had suggested the same to Chris before. Could be something in the software that is overworking the cameras processor at times.

birdboy
30th November 2013, 11:32 AM
... I fear the Spec of functionality is above the processor capability in some ways. It is such a complex bit of kit ! as I stated back a few pages ... Olympus are breaking the mould :)

Do you mean in hardware terms or software? I hope that these problems are more to do with coding hiccups. That is it gets itself into situations that the coder has not anticipated or tested and ends up just hanging. I do not know anything about the processor architecture or if it is single/multiprocessor working but with all these inputs, buttons, levers, eye detector and touch screen, all of which can be configured to any number of different settings, it must be a programmers nightmare to set up a test programme for every single setting. I suspect we will need to be prepared for very many more firmware updates.:eek:

Chevvyf1
30th November 2013, 01:18 PM
Chandler's Ford.

I had suggested the same to Chris before. Could be something in the software that is overworking the cameras processor at times.

ahhh ! Now I know I shall let you in on any Hants/Dorset Events - next Sat 7th Dec we have an outing with Canikons to Ringwood for Birds of Prey in Studio :) Exciting day out :) our prev Event was the Isle of Wight Warners NO KIDZ AT ALL Dance weekend to a big band ... and lots of refreshments ... hic ! and the other sunday at 5am many arose to get over to Stourhead for Sunrise and met up with Steve Cain (aka WreckDiver) and Peter Hartland (of course there were hundreds of Togs there ... we did not know ! :rolleyes:

Do you belong to the DOC ? go to the DOC meets ? well in Spring and Summer and warm days ? I guess you take your bike to ? 3X ? or Steve Hilliary ? or Snells ?