PDA

View Full Version : Back in the kitchen

shirley
13th September 2008, 01:41 PM
A couple I took this morning. It was a very messy photo session*LOL

This is a follow on from the refreshing liquid pic.
http://www.fourthirds-user.com/galleries/data/500/Red_wine_pouring_edited-1.jpg

http://www.fourthirds-user.com/galleries/data/500/Tumbling_smarties_edited-2.jpg

Graham_of_Rainham
13th September 2008, 03:59 PM
I thought I'd start by pouring praise on you for these but as your such a smartie pants, I thought you might appreciate a lighter comment to begin with :D

Obviously these are the result of lots of time and effort setting up and working out how it all works before you ever think of actually taking the picture. Having only played with this type of photography twice, I now realise the hours that can be spent, playing about with the vast number of variables that go to make up getting the image you want. Both are a credit to you in the skills that you are developing in this type of photography. Are you using any timers or have you just got fantastic reactions ???

I think the "red liquid" into the glass is a great idea and you have pulled that off very well. The timing is great, the accuracy of the pour into the top of the glass is exceptional, the lighting is spot on. This I think is Brilliant

The "Smartie" one is again good, with really good capture of the movement in the falling ones. But I can just imagin someone (and it may as well be me) saying that the static smarties could have been arranged better in the glass. Having all those Blue ones down on side forms a distraction as they are well lit but the RHS is dull and needs more light.

I think that posting the two together is a mistake as the second one is a distraction to the first which being better should stand centre stage on it own.

I'm very much looking forward to meeting you so we can discuss at length this type of photography. Although maybe I've a kick in the shins coming to me, for making these comments. :eek:

Regards

shirley
13th September 2008, 04:18 PM
:D:D:D:D
Absolutely no kick in the shins on the way. I really appreciate comments like this, they help me to develop my photographic eye, I hadnt spotted the line of blue smarties and I can see exactly what you mean re lighting.
Thanks for taking the time to comment. I am beginning to think that this might be the area that I am best at, the advantages are that is doesnt depend on weather and the subjects dont walk away. ;):D
Have you seen PM I sent you re the Studio day. Its looking like the others can make 8th/15th November, would those days suit you?
Shirley

Makonde
13th September 2008, 07:34 PM
More terrific stuff, Shirley. However did you get the pouring liquid so well in the first one?!

ndl0071
13th September 2008, 08:10 PM
Hi Shirley

My fav is the red liquid, it's rather spooky but had you noticed the figure like shape in the glass reaching out? I'm glad I'm not sleeping in your house tonight:eek:

Neil

shirley
14th September 2008, 07:08 PM
An edited version of the original and another taken at the same time.
Any critique or thoughts welcome.

http://www.fourthirds-user.com/galleries/data/500/V_glass_pouring_framed_edited-1.jpghttp://www.fourthirds-user.com/galleries/data/500/Pouring_wine_framed_edited-2.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Shirley

snaarman
14th September 2008, 07:31 PM
Mmm. Yes, the pure white background is much better IMHO

Pete

Makonde
14th September 2008, 09:35 PM
Hi Shirley

My fav is the red liquid, it's rather spooky but had you noticed the figure like shape in the glass reaching out? I'm glad I'm not sleeping in your house tonight:eek:

Neil

Hey, Shirley, I think you might be on to another winner here! You could flog this for a Govt. sponsored campaign against alcohol : "The Devil's in a drink..." Yes, I can see it now, with or without adding a pair of horns.

But really, this is a smasher on white (any chance of restoring some of the lost splashes at the bottom left of the wine loop - they were attractive in the greeny version)

wet in washington
15th September 2008, 01:59 AM
I love M&M's.

shirley
17th September 2008, 08:49 PM
Cant seem to leave this alone. It has been suggested to me by a competition judge that the lack of sides on the glass would be seen as a negative aspect in a competition. So I went back and tried again, this is what I came up with.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/V_glass_3_edited-2.jpg

I do like this, but I also like the others, it seems to me that each has its merits and, unless I am entering competitions, it depends on personal choice and what the picture is to be used for. I suppose that is true for most pictures.
What do others think?

JohnGG
17th September 2008, 10:53 PM
Of all of the "red liquid" shots I prefer the edited version of the original with the lighter background. One observation, and this is not a criticism, is that there is a little motion blur in the liquid. I have seen a similar shot in the past where either a faster shutter speed or short duration flash had been used to totally "freeze" the motion of the liquid. Perhaps you could experiment to see if you can achieve static liquid and whether such treatment works better.

You could also add a disclaimer to the photos along the lines of "No wine was spilt in the making of this feature!" :)

Cheers,

JohnGG