PDA

View Full Version : EM-1 head-to-head with the EM-5

Invicta
14th October 2013, 05:22 PM
First review I have seen that compares the OMD EM-1 to the EM-5

http://cameras.reviewed.com/features/head-to-head-olympus-om-d-e-m1-vs-olympus-om-d-e-m5

I would guess the extra sharpness of the EM-1 is due to the lack of an anti-alias filter and the poorer dynamic range is due to the on-sensor phase detection pixels.

brian1208
14th October 2013, 05:59 PM
[the poorer dynamic range is due to the on-sensor phase detection pixels. ]

I found the dynamic range information a bit confusing, in their initial text they state

The new sensor offered improved RAW dynamic range,

and then turn it around in the table and say the EM-5 has the better dynamic range?

(from looking at my pics from both, in a totally subjective way, I would say the EM-1 is better and also has a clearer / smoother transitioning way of presenting colour, but what do I know? :D )

StephenL
14th October 2013, 06:11 PM
Also they had a confusing typo in the introduction where I think they meant to the M1 but instead said M5. But the bottom line is, they like it. In fact, I've yet to see a bad or indifferent review.

Invicta
14th October 2013, 06:11 PM
I hadn't noticed the text was different to the table. It is confusing :confused:

Maybe best to wait for DxO Mark for an accurate comparison.

timd1230
14th October 2013, 06:12 PM
Robin Wong also has a comparison article on his blog

Ian
14th October 2013, 07:02 PM
First review I have seen that compares the OMD EM-1 to the EM-5

http://cameras.reviewed.com/features/head-to-head-olympus-om-d-e-m1-vs-olympus-om-d-e-m5

I would guess the extra sharpness of the EM-1 is due to the lack of an anti-alias filter and the poorer dynamic range is due to the on-sensor phase detection pixels.

The AF sensor pixels represent a tiny percentage of the overall number of pixels. I am quite suspicious that DR is said to be reduced... I will wait for more reputable tests.

Ian

Bruce Clarke
14th October 2013, 07:10 PM
I've never heard of these guys before, and would treat their confused conclusions with suspicion. Robin Wong's views have a lot more credibility, even though he is now working for Oly.

Iansky
24th October 2013, 08:34 AM
I would based on my own experience say that I believe the DR to be better on the EM1 than on the EM5 but that is purely from a user perspective not scientific testing that I am sure will appear in time.