PDA

View Full Version : Batteries for OM-D EM-1

Batman
14th October 2013, 10:52 AM
I have just ordered an OM-D EM-1 and will be looking for some spare batteries. Can anyone advise whether BLN-1 batteries from any of the alternative suppliers are any good? I have in the past used Hahnel batteries in my E-30 and E-520 and they have been fine, though possibly haven't last quite as long.

StephenL
14th October 2013, 10:56 AM
Just double-check the advert before you buy. Some cannot be charged in the standard Oly charger. Otherwise, well, you get what you pay for. I use Amazon and don't buy the very cheapest.

Batman
14th October 2013, 11:48 AM
Thank you Stephen. They are mostly so much cheaper than the Oly battery, I just wondered which ones to avoid. I will tread carefully.

StephenL
14th October 2013, 11:54 AM
Ex-Pro are a reasonable make from Amazon as long as you check the ads. The earlier ones needed a dedicated charger, as I said, and some suppliers may still have stocks of the old version.

Tradetalk
14th October 2013, 12:33 PM
Agree with Stephen, the latest EXpro batteries seem fine and charge in the original charger. I've used them in the M5 and now the M1 with no problems so far.

Batman
14th October 2013, 12:41 PM
Thank you Stephen. I've just ordered one to give it a try. 2 year warranty sounds reasonable.

bilbo
14th October 2013, 01:08 PM
Agree with Stephen, the latest EXpro batteries seem fine and charge in the original charger. I've used them in the M5 and now the M1 with no problems so far.So just to be sure, that's these batteries right?

Ex-Pro« Olympus BLN-1, BLN1 High Power Plus+ 2 Year: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VrHwPWv4L.@@AMEPARAM@@41VrHwPWv4L

Tradetalk
14th October 2013, 01:13 PM
So just to be sure, that's these batteries right?

Ex-Pro« Olympus BLN-1, BLN1 High Power Plus+ 2 Year: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B24YO1O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A15TW43BF9Y9WW)

These are the ones I ordered last week and seem to work fine.:)

ayewing
14th October 2013, 01:39 PM
That is good news that you can now get inexpensive fully compatible BLN1 batteries.

I bought a couple for my OM-D E-M5 over a year ago but at that time no chipped batteries were available. Mine came with a rather cheap looking charger but they work well. I think the charger is a bit slower than the official Olympus one and may not charge the battery as fully but for backup they have been fine and are still holding their charge well.

Batman
14th October 2013, 02:45 PM
That is the battery that I have just ordered. I will report back on how good it is when I get the camera, not until next month.

paullus
15th October 2013, 04:49 PM
I bought a genuine Olympus battery from Amazon here:
Olympus BLN-1 Li-ion Battery for E-M5: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/315kW5whVbL.@@AMEPARAM@@315kW5whVbL

Just need my EM-1 to put it in now.

Steve

catkins
22nd October 2013, 07:36 PM
Just noticed that there is now a new version of the BLN-1 battery from Ex-Pro which has been uprated to 7.6v

Ex-Pro« Olympus BLN-1, BLN1 Ultra White Series Replacement Battery 7.6v, 1220mAh
Product Reference B8000
Shipping Weight 0.05 Kg
OEM Codes BLN1, BLN-1
Voltage 7.6v
mAh Value 1220mAh
Colour White
Weight 78g

http://www.exprodirect.com/product.php?productid=42981&cat=13969&page=1 and also available now on Amazon currently on both at ú12.97

Regards
Chris

Chevvyf1
22nd October 2013, 08:41 PM
I stick with original Olympus batteries :)

"You can always pay a little less, but rarely get a little more ... or "

jamsa
22nd October 2013, 09:53 PM
"You can always pay a little less, but rarely get a little more ... or " I should tell my wife that!

Chevvyf1
23rd October 2013, 06:14 AM
I should tell my wife that!

Indeed ... you may get rather a lot less, than you bargained for :)
as per those who bought cheap(er) mobile phone chargers which caught fire ... and some burned the home down (see WatchDog)

I shall have to find the full quote from John Ruskin ... :D

Grumpy Hec
23rd October 2013, 06:37 AM
I have used after market batteries on both my E520 and E3 with no noticeable difference in performance in a variety of conditions and usage patterns.

Although I have already bought an Olympus batt from the cheaper Amazon source along with a travel charger, so that I have a battery ready to fire up my M1 when it arrives, I intend to get a pair of the Ex-Pro as well. As I envisage using the grip with my 43 lenses I figure I need two pairs of batteries on the go to provide worker/standby resilience.

In fact I think I'll order them now :D

Hec

StephenL
23rd October 2013, 06:47 AM
Indeed ... you may get rather a lot less, than you bargained for :)
as per those who bought cheap(er) mobile phone chargers which caught fire ... and some burned the home down (see WatchDog)

Chevvy, can you provide a link, please? I have done a search but failed to find a reference.

Besides, we were talking about batteries not chargers. :)

paullus
23rd October 2013, 06:53 AM
Chevvy, can you provide a link, please? I have done a search but failed to find a reference.

Here's a couple of reports I remember about cheap chargers but not batteries.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1342734/House-killed-3-children-caused-mobile-phone-charger.html (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1342734/House-killed-3-children-caused-mobile-phone-charger.html)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2406185/Fake-Apple-Cheap-phone-chargers-burn-house.html (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2406185/Fake-Apple-Cheap-phone-chargers-burn-house.html)

StephenL
23rd October 2013, 07:15 AM
Thanks, but in the first case you quote it was only "thought" to be a charger, and a genuine Sony Ericsson at that. In the second, it doesn't mention fires, and even an expert says problems are microscopically rare. Besides which, it was the Daily Mail!

paullus
23rd October 2013, 07:33 AM
Thanks, but in the first case you quote it was only "thought" to be a charger, and a genuine Sony Ericsson at that. In the second, it doesn't mention fires, and even an expert says problems are microscopically rare. Besides which, it was the Daily Mail!

I'm certainly not confirming the truth or accuracy of anything printed in the press especially the one you mention where the reports are published;)
I use aftermarket batteries and chargers myself albeit with care.
With regard to the BLN-1 I've bought for my E-M1 when it arrives, it's a genuine Olympus one from Amazon.
I wouldn't risk an aftermarket battery in an expensive piece of equipment.

Steve

Chevvyf1
23rd October 2013, 07:45 AM

Many chargers catch fire - they are charging batteries, whether in the phone or out the phone ... Trading Standards are fighting massive imports to the UK of containers full of "cheap chargers" for phones; cameras; ipad; Samsung tablets ; cameras or whatever :)

Many are "Universal Chargers"

Here is an iPad catching fire on charge ... you shall have to google yourself as I do not have the time on my hands for this, today :) - you may find it ref to Trading Standards or on BBC website for the prog and play again :)

iBook Charger Catches Fire - YouTube

simonknee
23rd October 2013, 07:47 AM
Just noticed that there is now a new version of the BLN-1 battery from Ex-Pro which has been uprated to 7.6v

Chris, all variants of BLN-1 whether genuine or ExPro are 7.6V. There appears to be no difference in specs with the white version other than the colour.

I have two of the "chipped" grey version http://www.exprodirect.com/product.php?productid=42267&cat=0&page=1

It appears there is a tradition for all camera manufacturers to charge a premium (like a 500% premium!) for their accessories, batteries, chargers, cables, cases etc. And good luck to them as the choice is out there for us cheapskates.

Simon

simonknee
23rd October 2013, 07:59 AM
Here is an iPad catching fire on charge ...

Nope, that is a genuine Apple G4 charger that has a broken cable - broken by the use that the user has subjected it to over a couple of years - and the guy has powered it up and is deliberately shorting out the positive and negative cables by wiggling it around. If you have a device with frayed cabling then you should not plug it in.

G2EWS
23rd October 2013, 08:08 AM
As an electronics engineer, I can confirm that a charger may cause a problem, but rarely the battery.

The problem is often caused by using a charger that does not have a high enough capacity to 'drive' the battery. So for example a power supply rated at 1000mA trying to charge a 1200mA battery. The power supply will, for want of a better description 'try too hard'. You can always tell if this is the case as the power supply will get very hot, sometimes too hot to touch! This problem happens with even respected manufacturers. Dell and Apple had problems with power supplies over the years and had to replace them.

Another problem is the design of the circuit board. I have seen a high profile manufacturer of lightning and surge protection multi sockets design the earth leak strip on it's circuit board to be so close to the mains supply strip that a surge would cross over and cause a fire! As a supplier of high end lightning and surge protection equipment this was something we looked into and was somewhat shocked so we reported them. Remember this is a product you would buy from your high street retailer expecting it to protect you, your family and your kit. Thankfully that has all been sorted now so I don't need to name the company

There are some types of battery that should not be left on charge. Typically those used for radio controlled planes can burst into flames and there is a warning not to leave them on charge.

As to the batteries mentioned on here, the best solution and a route I have gone down is the ExPro ones that charge in the standard Olympus charger. It is not cast iron, but incredibly unlikely that you will experience any problems.

But as said above, I would not recommend leaving a battery on charge whilst unattended ever! So unplug the charger before you go to bed, making sure you have removed the battery of course. Some chargers will discharge a battery when in a charger which is not plugged into the mains.

Best regards

Chris

simonknee
23rd October 2013, 09:00 AM
The problem is often caused by using a charger that does not have a high enough capacity to 'drive' the battery. So for example a power supply rated at 1000mA trying to charge a 1200mA battery.

That's sort of correct but in this context you might promote info that will scare people. What is written on a battery is expressed as mAh, this is an expression of capacity. It can and often does exceed the current capability of a charger which is rated at maximum mA, the ability to supply current. The difference is the "h" for hours.

For example the Olympus charger BCN-1 output is rated at 600mA whereas the BLN-1 is rated at 1220mAh. This is perfectly OK as the spec is referring to different things.

Simon

G2EWS
23rd October 2013, 09:03 AM
That's sort of correct but in this context you might promote info that will scare people. What is written on a battery is expressed as mAh, this is an expression of capacity. It can and often does exceed the current capability of a charger which is rated at maximum mA, the ability to supply current. The difference is the "h" for hours.

For example the Olympus charger BCN-1 output is rated at 600mA whereas the BLN-1 is rated at 1220mAh. This is perfectly OK as the spec is referring to different things.

Simon

Hi Simon,

I meant to write, be careful about these rated figures, but it is a good guideline. My apologies and thanks for pointing it out.

Best regards

Chris

Melaka
23rd October 2013, 09:07 AM
Chris, all variants of BLN-1 whether genuine or ExPro are 7.6V. There appears to be no difference in specs with the white version other than the colour.

Simon

Not so, I'm afraid. I have 3 'ordinary' Expro batteries which are 7.2v. The Expro batteries look identical to the Bestdeal ones, which are cheaper. I took this up with Expro who swear their battereis are made exclusively for them.

As well as voltage there's a significant variation in mAH between some of the clone batteries.

simonknee
23rd October 2013, 09:34 AM
Not so, I'm afraid. I have 3 'ordinary' Expro batteries which are 7.2v. The Expro batteries look identical to the Bestdeal ones, which are cheaper. I took this up with Expro who swear their battereis are made exclusively for them.

As well as voltage there's a significant variation in mAH between some of the clone batteries.

Oh that's not good. Can't really call them "clone" batteries unless they have the same voltage rating. Different mAh just says how long they will last for. At least a low voltage should not damage your camera but if they were sold as BLN-1 clones then these should go back to ExPro as not suitable for purpose.

simonknee
23rd October 2013, 09:45 AM
Hi Simon,

I meant to write, be careful about these rated figures, but it is a good guideline. My apologies and thanks for pointing it out.

Best regards

Chris

In fact it is an essential guideline for power supplies. By power supplies I mean everything that plugs in a mains outlet that provides the correct voltage to power your device - laptops, iThings, screens etc.

People should always look at the max output written (very, very small) on the power supply and check it exceeds the max requirement (even smaller or in the manual) of the piece of kit you want to power.

Personally I will pay a premium for items that put the power supply inside. This way you know that the supply is rated to power the kit in question and you have one less ugly wall wart or lump on the floor.

Simon

simonknee
23rd October 2013, 09:54 AM
a low voltage should not damage your camera.

To clarify my own comment. I would not use anything but the correct voltage batteries in any equipment. Especially those that use manufacturer specific batteries like cameras.

Oh bugger I have to clarify that too.

The standard AA (or AAA or C or D) single cell non-rechargeable battery is 1.5V but all rechargeable batteries of this size are 1.2V. In 99.9% of circumstances this does not matter. However my wireless radiator valve controllers (Conrad FS20 system if you care) does not like 1.2V AA and intermittently loses communication. I have to use Alkaline batteries with the full 1.5V. Luckily they last a full year in this low power application.

Simon

Melaka
23rd October 2013, 10:08 AM
My Expro charger has an output of 8.4v +/- 0.05v and a current of 600mA +/- 50mA. The Oly one says 8.7v 0.6A so both are above the battery's rated voltage but have the same charging current. I wouldn't have both were it not for the fact that I often need to charge the battery off a 12v supply, which Oly chargers don't do.

StephenL
23rd October 2013, 10:14 AM
However my wireless radiator valve controllers (Conrad FS20 system if you care) does not like 1.2V AA and intermittently loses communication. I have to use Alkaline batteries with the full 1.5V. Luckily they last a full year in this low power application.

Simon

That's an interesting insight. I don't have remote control rad valves (sniff!) but I can see I'll have to be vigilant for potential other systems. :)

catkins
23rd October 2013, 10:20 AM
Oh that's not good. Can't really call them "clone" batteries unless they have the same voltage rating. Different mAh just says how long they will last for. At least a low voltage should not damage your camera but if they were sold as BLN-1 clones then these should go back to ExPro as not suitable for purpose.

Co-incidentally, I have a package waiting to return recently bought unused Ex-Pro 7.2v batteries, to then replace them with the new white series Ex-Pro 7.6v batteries.
As you say, to me it makes sense to have a 'clone' that is as close as possible to being a clone! Luckily the new white series Ex-Pro batteries seem to address this issue, hence the reason to bring them to the attention of new E-M1 owners on the hunt for batteries, originals or clones.

One further point, there seem to be mixed stories in the various other internet sources as to whether the 'old' Ex-Pro BLN-1 could be charged in the Olympus charger - if not, why was this? and will it be the same with the new White Series battery?

And thank you to the others for also adding to this post, as it all adds to our understanding of the importance of careful choice about a key part to the camera.

Regards
Chris

StephenL
23rd October 2013, 10:26 AM
One further point, there seem to be mixed stories in the various other internet sources as to whether the 'old' Ex-Pro BLN-1 could be charged in the Olympus charger - if not, why was this? and will it be the same with the new White Series battery?

Regards
Chris
Why this was I don't know. But it's true. I presume Olympus batteries are "chipped" and it's taken the 3rd party manufacturers a while to decode this and apply the code to their batteries.

simonknee
23rd October 2013, 10:43 AM
My Expro charger has an output of 8.4v +/- 0.05v and a current of 600mA +/- 50mA. The Oly one says 8.7v 0.6A so both are above the battery's rated voltage but have the same charging current. I wouldn't have both were it not for the fact that I often need to charge the battery off a 12v supply, which Oly chargers don't do.

Chargers these days are "smart" so these figures do not tell the full story. The chargers are capable of modifying both the current and voltage supplied to the battery under charge. This is so that the user gets the fastest charge combined with the longest life in the battery whilst making sure that safe conditions, such as internal battery temperature, are maintained.

Basically you should have a charger designed to charge the battery in question. The Olympus BLN-1 is a great unit, well designed and I'm sure will give the optimum performance and longevity of the batteries. The ExPro units are of cheaper construction. They also make a range of standard base units and fit a different top plate depending on which battery it has been purchased to charge. They do the job especially where more flexibilty is required. However (pure speculation coming up) they may not have such subtle battery monitoring and conditioning systems as the OEM unit. This may result in a shortened operating life for batteries charged with them (speculation finished). In practice I suspect 9 out of 10 cats won't notice the difference. I'm going to get one as I want the twin charger version!

Simon

OM USer
23rd October 2013, 02:00 PM
Co-incidentally, I have a package waiting to return recently bought unused Ex-Pro 7.2v batteries, to then replace them with the new white series Ex-Pro 7.6v batteries...

I also have the 7.2V grey ones from Expro (unchipped so do not work in Oly charger) which I have used in my E-M5 for over a year. I guess they won't take them back now but the new "white" ones seem like a good replacement if I need more. My expro charger is the LCD display version that I got at the time - I hope that the new batteries (if I get any) will charge in the old charger as I wouldn't want to carry 2 chargers around with me.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone about comparisons between the grey 7.2V and the white 7.6V versions.

raichea
23rd October 2013, 06:10 PM
According to the ExPro site, the chipped grey have the same spec as the white:

grey: http://www.exprodirect.com/product.php?productid=42267&cat=0&page=1

white: http://www.exprodirect.com/product.php?productid=42981&cat=0&page=1

I bought a couple of the chipped grey version shortly after ordering an E-M1... guess I'll see how they perform soon (!).

Steve.

catkins
23rd October 2013, 07:10 PM
According to the ExPro site, the chipped grey have the same spec as the white:

grey: http://www.exprodirect.com/product.php?productid=42267&cat=0&page=1

white: http://www.exprodirect.com/product.php?productid=42981&cat=0&page=1

I bought a couple of the chipped grey version shortly after ordering an E-M1... guess I'll see how they perform soon (!).

Steve.

The recent grey ones state 7.2v Customer Image Gallery for Ex-Pro® Olympus BLN-1, BLN1 [CHIPPED EXACT] High Power Plus+ 2 Year Warranty Replacement Lithium Li-on Digital Camera Battery for Olympus OM-D E-M5, EM5 and this is what I was supplied with. These were supplied within the last month from Ex-Pro via Amazon, hence my reason to change to the updated version.
I think that the Ex-Pro site also showed the same 7.2v battery in the last few days but presume that it has now been upgraded - though, why have a two versions of the same battery unless one is now chipped differently? Any answers anyone?
Whichever way, they look to be a good clone if cost is important.

Regards
Chris

raichea
23rd October 2013, 09:39 PM
The recent grey ones state 7.2v Customer Image Gallery for Ex-Pro® Olympus BLN-1, BLN1 [CHIPPED EXACT] High Power Plus+ 2 Year Warranty Replacement Lithium Li-on Digital Camera Battery for Olympus OM-D E-M5, EM5 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B00B24YO1O/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0) and this is what I was supplied with. These were supplied within the last month from Ex-Pro via Amazon, hence my reason to change to the updated version.
I think that the Ex-Pro site also showed the same 7.2v battery in the last few days but presume that it has now been upgraded - though, why have a two versions of the same battery unless one is now chipped differently? Any answers anyone?
Whichever way, they look to be a good clone is cost is important.

Regards
Chris
I doubt very much that they've actually changed the battery. I bought some of these from Amazon, too, and (having just checked), they are labelled as 7.2V. Out of interest, I measured their voltages - both were at 7.69V (as shipped). I wouldn't be surprised if the voltage dropped down to a steady 7.2V after a little use. Freshly charged batteries are usually higher than nominal.

OM USer
24th October 2013, 09:50 AM
I doubt very much that they've actually changed the battery. I bought some of these from Amazon, too, and (having just checked), they are labelled as 7.2V. Out of interest, I measured their voltages - both were at 7.69V (as shipped). I wouldn't be surprised if the voltage dropped down to a steady 7.2V after a little use. Freshly charged batteries are usually higher than nominal.

Did you test the batteries hooked up to the camera (or a test circuit drawing a small current)? The internal resistance of the battery means that under load the output voltage will be lower than that tested soley by a high impedance volt meter across the terminals.

raichea
24th October 2013, 11:56 AM
Did you test the batteries hooked up to the camera (or a test circuit drawing a small current)? The internal resistance of the battery means that under load the output voltage will be lower than that tested soley by a high impedance volt meter across the terminals.

The measurements were open circuit. I'm aware of the consequences of the internal impedance of batteries - it's pretty low for Li-Ion, but you could still lose 0.2-0.5V with sufficient current draw.

That said, the standard cell voltage for Li-Ion appears to be 3.6-3.7V, which explains, the 7.2V rating (2 cells in series)... not sure how you'd get 7.6V, but I guess you might measure that after a fresh charge.

simonknee
24th October 2013, 12:10 PM
The thick plottens...

I bought a pair of the "chipped" ExPro from Amazon. However now I actually bother to look at them are labelled 7.2V on a white label. Some testing is required...
Note: they charge fine in the BCN-1 therefore they are as "chipped" as they need to be.

Voltage:
To test voltage you really need to put a battery under load. Just checking with a multi-meter on it's own and the battery is not doing any real "work". That said these lithium battery will not sag very much.

Did some tests with batteries freshly topped up by the BCN-1 charger.

BLN-1 fully charged no load: 8.1V
BLN-1 fully charged 1.3W load: 8V
BLN-1 fully charged 5.7W load: 7.9V

ExPro "7.2" fully charged no load: 8V
ExPro "7.2" fully charged 1.3W load: 7.9V
ExPro "7.2" fully charged 5.7W load: 7.7V

(I used high wattage, low ohm resistors to provide the load. Please don't try this at home unless you know what you are doing).

So from a fully charged point of view There is no discernible difference. The "7.2V" written on my ExPro is a misnomer since even under a pretty extreme load it managed to exceed the required voltage for the EM-1.

Next will be to see how the battery fairs as it discharges. My hunch at the moment based on some partially used batteries is that the OEM battery will hold a higher voltage for longer. I will try and devise a discharge test and hopefully plot the result as it goes. Need to do some research on this first.

I am also going to order up some of the white batteries as I need more anyway and can then compare results.

Simon

raichea
24th October 2013, 12:22 PM
The thick plottens...

Simon
I've considered creating a battery testing rig several times, but my list of pending projects is already too long, hence the quick'n'dirty voltage measurements.

Thanks for digging out some load resistors and giving some useful data.

OM USer
24th October 2013, 12:55 PM
... now I actually bother to look at them are labelled 7.2V on a white label.

Simon, thanks for the testing. If I buy 7.2V batteries and they come labelled as 7.2V then that is okay but to buy 7.6V batteries (as stated on web site) and have them labelled 7.2V is a disgrace. There was an outcry with the initial ExPro BLN-1 unchipped grey batteries as both Amazon and the ExPro website claimed they were fully compatable. After many people returned them claiming trades description violations they dropped the "fully compatable" claim and stated that you needed their own charger.

catkins
24th October 2013, 02:06 PM
Simon, thanks for the testing. If I buy 7.2V batteries and they come labelled as 7.2V then that is okay but to buy 7.6V batteries (as stated on web site) and have them labelled 7.2V is a disgrace. There was an outcry with the initial ExPro BLN-1 unchipped grey batteries as both Amazon and the ExPro website claimed they were fully compatable. After many people returned them claiming trades description violations they dropped the "fully compatable" claim and stated that you needed their own charger.

As I understand it the batteries that he got from Amazon/Ex-Pro shopfront were supplied as 7.2v as per the battery description at the time, and it is only in the last few days that the Ex-Pro website has started listing the grey Ex-Pro battery as now being 7.6v.
Additionally Ex-Pro have recently started supplying a 'White Series' 7.6v battery - initially it seemed that this was a replacement or upgrade for the 7.2v grey Ex-Pro battery, but the water has been muddied somewhat by the grey battery now also becoming a 7.6v battery.
So, with a ú2 difference in price between grey and white, what is the difference between the two that makes the white a good buy for the E-M1?

And thanks Simon for the testing - it makes interesting reading.
Regards
Chris

catkins
24th October 2013, 02:17 PM
Just had a chat with someone at Ex-Pro who hadn't been aware that the grey was now upgraded, but thought that the key difference would be that the white series will have double series protection in the circuitry to prevent any power 'surge' that might otherwise cause damage to a camera's electronics - however, protection (perhaps to a slightly lesser degree in extreme situations) is afforded in the grey battery as well. So both batteries will be suitable for purpose at a good price, and you make your choice and pay your money!

Perhaps Simon's testing of a white series will in due course reveal more detailed info of any differences.
Regards
Chris

Grumpy Hec
25th October 2013, 10:38 AM
Just had two of the "white" Expro batteries delivered.

I can't tell you about practical usage as I have not got my camera yet but they are labeled the same as the Olympus variant, one of which I have bought from Amazon, in terms of rated voltage, current and capacity. How that translates to real life of course will be eventually be revealed in due course.

For the time being I am charging them so when my camera does arrive, getting closer by the day, I am charged up and ready to go.

cheers

Hec

Melaka
27th October 2013, 08:56 AM
I received two white batteries yesterday. Following the instructions I put them on charge in the Oly charger. The light went out after a few seconds. This surprised me as I understand most battereis are only supllied part charged. I then put them side by side in two Expro chargers. It was almost exactly an hour before both the lights started to change indicating they were nearly fully charged.

Does this mean they don't work properly in an Oly charger?

Chevvyf1
27th October 2013, 09:12 AM
Interesting updates :(

jmunkki
27th October 2013, 05:39 PM
Sounds pretty bad, but I think the real test would be to just use one with the Olympus charger and see how it does. It's possible the Expro charger does some trickle charging beyond what the Olympus charger would do, so you might get a bit more life out of the batteries that way.

I bought the white ones directly from Expro (via Ebay), trusting them that the batteries would charge properly in the Olympus charger. I've had them for weeks now, but since my camera hasn't arrived and will not be here for another week or two at least, I haven't even opened the packages yet. Maybe we can get an update from Expro on this matter. If they say the batteries are not meant to charge fully in the Olympus charger, I'll just have to ask them for a refund, I think.

mansuramir
4th November 2013, 10:26 AM
Any new updates on the White Expro battery? Although I already have 2 original BLN-1 batteries, I'm thinking of buying this White Expro as a backup when travelling. Any new info on these would really help my decision.

Mansur

StephenL
4th November 2013, 10:33 AM
Well, I bought a pair recently, and as previously described they appear to have arrived fully charged. They seem to last well. I'm not inclined, nor do I have the knowledge or resources, to carry out scientific tests on them. All I can say is that they work well.

mansuramir
4th November 2013, 10:35 AM
Thanks Stephen, that'll do fine. I think I'll just go and buy one.

Mansur

ayewing
4th November 2013, 03:35 PM
Well, I bought a pair recently, and as previously described they appear to have arrived fully charged. They seem to last well. I'm not inclined, nor do I have the knowledge or resources, to carry out scientific tests on them. All I can say is that they work well.

Do they charge in the Olympus charger?

StephenL
4th November 2013, 03:36 PM
Do they charge in the Olympus charger?
Yes, these do.

ayewing
4th November 2013, 03:43 PM
Thanks Stephen, that is good to know. I have a couple of third party batteries that work well but need their own charger which is a bit of a nuisance specially when traveling.

Melaka
4th November 2013, 04:10 PM
I find third party chargers better for travelling. Usually they will work on 12v as well as 110/230v.

ayewing
4th November 2013, 04:34 PM
I find third party chargers better for travelling. Usually they will work on 12v as well as 110/230v.

That is a good point. I have just checked my nameless charger and it accepts inputs of 12-24v as well as 100-240v. I think it charges more slowly than the official Olympus charger but that is a trivial drawback.

paullus
20th November 2013, 06:08 PM
I bought a genuine Olympus battery from Amazon here:
Olympus BLN-1 Li-ion Battery for E-M5: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0073A1G0I/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Just need my EM-1 to put it in now.

Steve

Sad tale regarding my battery purchase unfortunately. I bought a genuine Olympus BLN-1 advertised as new from Amazon Market place which arrived on 4th October in anticipation of but we'll in advance of the delivery of my E-M1. So it sat on my desk until last Friday when I cracked it open and charged it up without really thinking much about it. Only when the battery warning indicator came on after about 80 pictures did I have a closer look at the battery. When I compared it to the battery that came with the camera I saw marks on the contacts from repeated use and on the plastic body. It was also dated 2012. The supplied battery is pristine and dated 2013. Anyway I contacted the seller who was barely literate who started ranting about all sorts of nonsense but basically denying he had sold me a used battery yet refused to explain any of the marks I'd found. I filed a claim with Amazon but unfortunately I should have contacted the seller within 14 days if I had any issues so the claim was refused. I had the battery tested today and it was definitely used and not holding a charge. So I had bought a scrap battery with no chance of a simple resolution and have had to shell out more money. This time I've ordered a pair of Ex-Pro' white series from Amazon. I know I was foolish and should have examined the battery as soon as it arrived, a mistake I won't make again.

Olybirder
20th November 2013, 07:34 PM
Sad tale regarding my battery purchase unfortunately. I bought a genuine Olympus BLN-1 advertised as new from Amazon Market place which arrived on 4th October in anticipation of but we'll in advance of the delivery of my E-M1. So it sat on my desk until last Friday when I cracked it open and charged it up without really thinking much about it. Only when the battery warning indicator came on after about 80 pictures did I have a closer look at the battery. When I compared it to the battery that came with the camera I saw marks on the contacts from repeated use and on the plastic body. It was also dated 2012. The supplied battery is pristine and dated 2013. Anyway I contacted the seller who was barely literate who started ranting about all sorts of nonsense but basically denying he had sold me a used battery yet refused to explain any of the marks I'd found. I filed a claim with Amazon but unfortunately I should have contacted the seller within 14 days if I had any issues so the claim was refused. I had the battery tested today and it was definitely used and not holding a charge. So I had bought a scrap battery with no chance of a simple resolution and have had to shell out more money. This time I've ordered a pair of Ex-Pro' white series from Amazon. I know I was foolish and should have examined the battery as soon as it arrived, a mistake I won't make again.
That is not good Steve. I bought my battery from Buy & More but when I clicked on the link in my order history tonight it took me to the offer from Got a Deal which is in your link. I just checked and my battery is dated 2013. I haven't noticed any problems with it keeping the charge but I don't take that many shots when I am out and usually recharge it again a day or two later. I hope yours was a rogue example. Good luck with Ex-Pros anyway.

Ron

Anne
20th November 2013, 07:46 PM
I have two Ex-Pro chipped and two unchipped batteries, all grey. The chipped ones charge in the Olympus charger without a problem. I also have two Olympus batteries. The chipped ones don't last that long but in all honesty the Olympus ones only last slightly longer. The unchipped ones are over a year old now and they don't last as long as they used to but I would expect that.

My charger for the unchipped ones packed up exactly after a year, Ex-Pro replaced it without any quibble so I am very happy with the after sales service from a cheap alternative.

To be fair, I have been hammering both cameras over the last few weeks, well the E M5 in particular. Having the screen on drains the batteries quite quickly. I took about 1700 photos this weekend, 933 on the E M1 and I used two batteres in each camera during the day so not too bad I guess.

On an aside, I saw something on DPReview when I was Googling L4 updates for the E M1 RAW compatibility (ok I got distracted and went off on a tangent!), but comments were made about the number of actuations already on their new cameras. So I did a quick check on mine and I had 1291 showing. Even allowing for the few that I deleted on camera this means that my camera had over 300 'pictures' taken before I bought it....probably somewhat excessive but too late to do anything about it now. It did have the screen cover on and it all looked brand new.

Apart from that does any one know if Adobe is planning on releasing an update for Lightroom as I am unlikely to use Olympus Viewer? Oh and the camera was a joy to use this weekend; if I get off my backside I will post some photos from both Yosemite and Bavaria :)

StephenL
20th November 2013, 08:02 PM
LR5 already has provisional support for the E-M1. They never offer retrospective support to superseded software versions. A way round it is to use the free Adobe Raw to DNG converter.

As a matter of interest, I checked my camera and it indicated that I had taken 5 shots using the flash. This must have been in testing, as I don't own an external flash and the wee flash module remains in the camera box!

Anne
20th November 2013, 11:04 PM
LR5 already has provisional support for the E-M1. They never offer retrospective support to superseded software versions. A way round it is to use the free Adobe Raw to DNG converter.

As a matter of interest, I checked my camera and it indicated that I had taken 5 shots using the flash. This must have been in testing, as I don't own an external flash and the wee flash module remains in the camera box!

Hmm....so I am probably going to have to upgrade :( when you say provisional support, what exactly do you mean Stephen? Oh and mine said I had taken 2 shots using flash...which seems reasonable for factory testing.

Now I am shooting in RAW it feels like a retrograde step to go back to jpgs. That said I have just spent the last hour or so going through all my photos from the weekend, deleting the rubbish. There is a massive difference between the E M5 (RAW so unprocessed) and the E M1 jpgs. I swapped lenses around but mostly used the 75-300 on the E M1 and the 14-150 (my favourite lens) on the E M5. I know the OOC jpgs were supposed to be good on the E M1 but they were far superior to the E M5. In fact I deleted almost 200 pictures from the E M5 as they just looked awful. I checked the exif data and mostly they were when the lens was at 150mm and a higher ISO than I would normally use. Even so I was quite surprised because I used this combo almost exclusively in Yosemite and my photos were (in comparison) really good albeit low ISO.

Hey ho....it's all good practice :)

Oh and Stephen, the Yosemite trip with Tatra Photography was amazing, I loved every moment. I also used the company to go to Bavaria with this weekend and again really good. No photography workshop/holiday is cheap but compared to others I have looked at they aren't bad and I can't find anything to fault them on.....apart from the fact that the food has been so good I now need to lose 1/2 stone ASAP if I want to wear any of my jeans ever again! :D

paullus
21st November 2013, 07:14 AM
That is not good Steve. I bought my battery from Buy & More but when I clicked on the link in my order history tonight it took me to the offer from Got a Deal which is in your link. I just checked and my battery is dated 2013. I haven't noticed any problems with it keeping the charge but I don't take that many shots when I am out and usually recharge it again a day or two later. I hope yours was a rogue example. Good luck with Ex-Pros anyway.

Ron

The deal does keep changing on the link. The individual I bought from uses a first name beginning with C followed by 1972. So just be careful. I have bought loads of stuff from Amazon Marketplace over the years without issue.

Steve

StephenL
21st November 2013, 07:43 AM
Anne, in this case provisional means that though they have a working solution, which I use fine, it's still subject to tweaking.

Glad your trips went well. I've been bought a gift voucher for Red Cloud, and I've elected to go on a less-glamorous day to Marlborough next May!

mansuramir
21st November 2013, 07:53 AM
....... I've elected to go on a less-glamorous day to Marlborough next May!

Sorry this is off topic but the name Marlborough... jogs my memory ;) When I attended a public school in Worcester way wayyyy back in the late 80's we used to play against Marlborough College quite often. I was in the hockey team. I hope I can visit the UK again one of these days. Haven't gone back since I returned after my Uni days in '92.

Sorry for the off-topic.

Mansur

StephenL
21st November 2013, 08:13 AM
Sorry this is off topic but the name Marlborough... jogs my memory ;) When I attended a public school in Worcester way wayyyy back in the late 80's we used to play against Marlborough College quite often. I was in the hockey team. I hope I can visit the UK again one of these days. Haven't gone back since I returned after my Uni days in '92.

Sorry for the off-topic.

Mansur
No worries! Off-topic is what this forum specialises in! :D

PS welcome to the forum!

Olybirder
21st November 2013, 08:53 AM
The deal does keep changing on the link. The individual I bought from uses a first name beginning with C followed by 1972. So just be careful. I have bought loads of stuff from Amazon Marketplace over the years without issue.

Steve
Yes, I clicked on your link this morning and it took me to 'Buy 4 Less'. It's like playing roulette.

Ron

Chevvyf1
21st November 2013, 04:21 PM

Sorry for the off-topic.

Mansur

We go to Marlborough often - its a great up hill and down dale bike ride through the Savarnake forest from Wichester :) I took some images of MC last time .. will find and post for you :)

ps welcome Mansur :) I suspect its hot hot hot in KL just now ?

StephenL
21st November 2013, 04:33 PM
oops! My mistake! I'm going to Blenheim, not Marlborough!

Smallcreep
3rd December 2013, 12:41 PM
I've been reading this thread as attentively as I can, but haven't managed to deduce an answer to the question I have from all the technical information given. I want a dual charger for the three Olympus BLN-1 batteries and one Hähnel clone I have already bought. Can I charge these safely and effectively in the Ex-Pro dual charger? Would their performance be just as good as that obtained from the Olympus BCN-1 charger? Thanks in anticipation for any assistance given.

Smallcreep
3rd December 2013, 12:48 PM
Oops, just realised that the Ex-pro charger I was looking at is not for BLN-1 batteries. Does any know of a dual charger that is? Preferably one that would charge Olympus batteries as well?

raichea
3rd December 2013, 12:53 PM
This one is claimed to http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro%C2%AE-Olympus-BLN-1-BLN1-BCN-1/dp/B008B93OPA

paullus
3rd December 2013, 04:12 PM
This one is claimed to http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro%C2%AE-Olympus-BLN-1-BLN1-BCN-1/dp/B008B93OPA (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro%C2%AE-Olympus-BLN-1-BLN1-BCN-1/dp/B008B93OPA)

Hi.
I have the Dual Channel Ex-Pro charger as pointed out above by Raichea and can confirm it will charge the Olympus BLN-1.

I bought it along with two Ex-Pro BLN-1 Ultra White series batteries but I haven't really had a chance to compare the performance of them against the two Genuine BLN-1s I have.

While on the subject has anyone found a suitable storage case for the BLN-1

Steve

StephenL
3rd December 2013, 04:19 PM
Hi.
I have the Dual Channel Ex-Pro charger as pointed out above by Raichea and can confirm it will charge the Olympus BLN-1.

I bought it along with two Ex-Pro BLN-1 Ultra White series batteries but they will not charge in the Olympus BCN-1 charger.

Steve
That's interesting. I have two of the Ex-Pro White batteries, and they charge up just fine in the Olympus BCN-1 charger. :confused:

paullus
3rd December 2013, 05:26 PM
That's interesting. I have two of the Ex-Pro White batteries, and they charge up just fine in the Olympus BCN-1 charger. :confused:

Sorry about that. I have now edited my post.
I thought I'd better check the Ex-Pros in the BCN-1 charger again now they'd been in my M-1 for a week. This time they began charging whereas when I tried them when they arrived the charge light went out after about 10 seconds. I did think this was odd as Ex-Pro state they function in exactly the same as the OEM battery.
I can only assume the Ex-Pro's arrived fully charged which would explain why the BCN-1 switched off.

Steve.

StephenL
3rd December 2013, 06:05 PM
Yes, mine appeared to be fully charged on arrival.

Filadams
11th September 2015, 11:01 PM
I'm guessing it's to late to try and revive this thread? I'm looking to buy a couple of spare BLN-1's for regular use and ready for a trip abroad.

Any updates on the difference between the grey and white BLN-1's from Ex-Pro? If not I might go for the whites for extra protection?!

Was very glad when I googled BLN-1 replacements and a really useful few topics came up on here!! Should have looked here first!

Thanks all.

Dave in Wales
12th September 2015, 06:29 AM
I'm guessing it's to late to try and revive this thread? I'm looking to buy a couple of spare BLN-1's for regular use and ready for a trip abroad.

Any updates on the difference between the grey and white BLN-1's from Ex-Pro? If not I might go for the whites for extra protection?!

Was very glad when I googled BLN-1 replacements and a really useful few topics came up on here!! Should have looked here first!

Thanks all.

I use EXpro, Fits OLY. BLN-1 (so it says) with no problems.
It fits the Oly charger, no problem.

Melaka
12th September 2015, 06:33 AM
I've used Expro for several years with no problem.

Wee man
12th September 2015, 08:40 AM
Paulus I found a nice plastic box on eBay which is just the correct size for two bln1 batteries I cannot find the post I mentioned them in as I can only get back to March on my tablet.

CJJE
12th September 2015, 09:33 AM
I've just bought a white EXPro BLN1 as it has a larger energy capacity than the grey. It charged up in the Olympus charger with no problems and fits in my E-M1 perfectly. The instructions on the back of the pack warn that "Fully charge the battery in the first place. It is important that the charge is used completely, then fully charged. This ensures that your new battery reaches its full capacity, although our cells have no memory effect this sets the benchmark for optimum use, therefore your cell will only reach its best if this procedure is followed."

Chris

jima
13th September 2015, 07:00 PM

The white Ex-Pro has a little extra capacity than the grey (according to my tests about 100mAh) and there is a suggestion (unproven as far as I am aware) that it has additional internal protection.

Both will charge OK in an Olympus charger.

The white has higher internal self discharge than the grey pack but still has more capacity after a month on the shelf than the grey pack freshly charged.

Both are quite weedy compared to a genuine Olympus pack, my best white pack optimised can only return 1004mAh and is virtually new. My best Olympus pack is still producing 1305mAh after a year of use. You have to put this into the context of the price, of course.

Each to his/her own but my EX-Pro's are now downgraded to third (extreme emergency) reserves after the Olympus originals and Hahnels - still a very good quality pack but a little pricey recently so less tempting to stray from the originals.

I find that the the EM-1 (and my EM-5 before it) is a greedy little bugger when it comes to power so I will opt for the most capacity I can get. YMMV.

drmarkf
13th September 2015, 10:38 PM
All this talk of significant and consistent differences between ExPros and OEMs has prompted me to study the performance of mine a bit more carefully!

My X100T gets the most consistent type of usage (ie street shooting for 1-2 hours at a time, very little use of rear screen, not used for anything else), so I'm going to keep a more stringent record of the number of frames I get to 2 and 1 bar remaining on the battery display for the two manufacturers' products in that camera. I use the E-M1 and Gm1 for all sorts of types of photography with different lenses, so I wouldn't trust the results unless I monitored for months.

Filadams
14th September 2015, 12:59 PM
Thank you all for the very valuable information, exactly what I needed. Thanks Jim for the detailed capacity info, was hoping someone might have something like that done, well beyond me.

Think I will go for two white ExPro's as I need a couple for my upcoming trip to Canada and have limited funds for camera stuff at the mo. Hoping they charge to their full capacity with the Olympus charger rather than having to get a ExPro charger as well, although an international + car charger would be handy...

For anyone who is interested, here is an email I got from ExPro as to the difference between the grey and white versions:

"The normal version is made to match OEM specifications.

However the white versions is made to exceed them, with only grade A+ cells, fully tested and made with double surge protection. (Basically above what oem manufacturers will create.)"

Guessing they must both be 7.6V now then!!

Thanks again.

drmarkf
14th September 2015, 04:59 PM
Interesting - all my ExPros are 'white'.

jima
17th September 2015, 10:28 PM
[QUOTE=Filadams;358824]For anyone who is interested, here is an email I got from ExPro as to the difference between the grey and white versions:

"The normal version is made to match OEM specifications. However the white versions is made to exceed them, with only grade A+ cells, fully tested and made with double surge protection. (Basically above what oem manufacturers will create.)"

Guessing they must both be 7.6V now then!!

Well, I would beg to strongly differ on both of the manufacturers quite laughable statements. The performance not only does not exceed the Olympus cells, it does not come close to matching them. I cannot speak for the quality of the cells or the 'double surge protection' having not dissected any (yet) but if that means that they have added a fuse then good - why was it not there in the first place?

On a final note, both the freshly charged grey and the white packs start off at the same voltage, about 7.8 volts but the grey cells start to drop off noticeably about two thirds through their discharge curve (which also doesn't help the OM's as they are quite intolerant of low volts). The Olympus originals start off at 8.5 volts and are at the same voltage as freshly charged EX-Pro's after 2 hours (yes HOURS) of discharge. Like I say, you pay your money and make your choice.