PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear, getting itchy over the E-M1

pdk42
12th October 2013, 08:25 PM
I've been very happy with my E-M5 (and still am), but I went to York races on Fri and really found the AF hard work to capture the horses, even head-on. I had to resort to zone focussing or rapidly pressing the AF button (I use back-button focussing) to get any keepers at all.

I did manage to get a few reasonable shots (see my flickr gallery if you're interested), but a friend with me had his 5diii and that managed MUCH better. So, although I don't do a lot of stuff that moves, I'm wondering if the E-M1 should be in my plans... Part of me thinks I'm just looking for an excuse, but it's the AF that is the real big weakness of the E -M5 and when I do need to shoot action it gets in the way.

Do any new E-M1 owners have a good feel for how much better the 1 is compared to the 5 in the real world?

brian1208
12th October 2013, 08:32 PM
it is better, but not 5Dmk3 better :)

I'm still evaluating mine and with m4/3rds lenses, to my surprise, I am finding that the 1 locks focus faster and holds it more consistently than I can get with my 5 (that's gulls and the like against a variety of backgrounds - all other interesting having left or not returned for the winter down here on the S.Coast)

Only 4 separate 1 hr sessions of shooting to test this so far = approx 600 gull shots

dogsbody
13th October 2013, 05:07 PM
Being new to the brand I am so impressed with The EM-5, I am wondering if I need the 1 that I have been so desperate to get.

StephenL
13th October 2013, 05:42 PM
Being new to the brand I am so impressed with The EM-5, I am wondering if I need the 1 that I have been so desperate to get.
You will find that the 1 has all the IQ qualities of the 5, slightly souped-up, but is leagues ahead in handling and ergonomics, especially the viewfinder. But once you've grasped the basics of the menu system on the 5, you're set for the 1. Except that once you have the camera set up to your tastes, you will hardly need to delve!

deckitout
13th October 2013, 05:53 PM
I have only just got an EM5 to. I toyed long and hard between that and a GH3, I haven't really gelled with the handling of the EM5, so now I want an EM1 and a GH3

ian p
13th October 2013, 07:02 PM
I'm using the price as a reason not to get the 1.
Actually the performance of my 5 is great. I just want the ergonomics of the 1.

Ulfric M Douglas
13th October 2013, 07:05 PM
It surprises me that you think this ;
... or rapidly pressing the AF button (I use back-button focussing) to get any keepers at all.
is a last resort.

Knowing how the focus is achieved I'd go for that technique every single time, First.
The E-M1 is the only m4/3rds body that offers any other real technique.

On another forum there was this guy who just couldn't get on with his E-M5 focus, and he too was coming from a BIG Canon with back-button C-AF tracking.
It's a big leap of comprehension for some I guess, depending on what the technique was for the last camera.

pdk42
14th October 2013, 09:57 PM
It surprises me that you think this ;

is a last resort.

Knowing how the focus is achieved I'd go for that technique every single time, First.
The E-M1 is the only m4/3rds body that offers any other real technique.

On another forum there was this guy who just couldn't get on with his E-M5 focus, and he too was coming from a BIG Canon with back-button C-AF tracking.
It's a big leap of comprehension for some I guess, depending on what the technique was for the last camera.

Funny you should say this - I had a Canon before my E-M5.

Whatever the heritage though, single shot AF is not ideal. Due to the slight time delay between focus lock and taking the shot, there's room with a moving subject to miss focus. I guess this is what a good CAF system will deliver via some predictive algorithm.

Anyhow, it seems from other people's experiences that the E-M1 is significantly improved over the 5 in this regard so I'm coming to the view that I should upgrade. I could do with finding a dealer with them on demo so that I can check it myself (and experience the improved ergonomics).

Thanks to all for your posts.

Ross the fiddler
14th October 2013, 10:10 PM
The bonus offer in Australia (for grip or adapter) was finally put up on the main Oly Aus web page (Monday) for those purchasing (or ordering) this month & so I just couldn't resist the urge to order it (E-M1 body) any longer & thankfully my wife took the news OK too (but still reminding me how much we still have to save for our retirement). First stock is coming this week for us but I will probably have to wait for the next batch to come in. So now I'm off to the workshop to repair more instruments to pay for it. ;)