PDA

View Full Version : CAF Rocks!

brian1208
12th October 2013, 04:28 PM
I finally got CAF working for me, at Thruxton Race Track today.

Working at the Club Chicane where the bikes entered from the left at speed, turned directly toward me then left the chicane to the right I was having trouble maintaining sharpness throughout.

Then I remembered that the EM-1 has a new function under Gear Wheel A, C-AF lock. When I put that into "Normal" setting the situation was transformed. Shooting at 6fps (so that it was constantly refocusing) I was now able to keep focus locked on the selected bike right through the chicane - Result! *chr

(I tried setting CAF lock to High but for those conditions it didn't seem to work so well, tending to miss the odd shot)

I had "Release Lag-time" set to "Normal" (I tried "Short" but again felt it wasn't an improvement and I set the "Release Priority C" to On

It would be interesting to hear from anyone how they get on with these settings. I plan to try it with BIF and Windsurf work the next chance I get

Finally, it worked better with my Panasonic 35-100 f2.8 than it did with my Oly 40-150, so maybe the wide open speed of the lens plays a part too?

TonyR
12th October 2013, 05:59 PM
Good to hear! Samples?

Jetset95
12th October 2013, 06:12 PM
Don't you mean "simples!"?

brian1208
12th October 2013, 06:20 PM
Good to hear! Samples?

Gizzsa chance matey, I've got over a 1000 pics to process, just finished me dins and need a very hot bath to iron out all the creases in my back and legs

Tomorrow do? :D

(I'll put a few before and after CAF pics here and put up more in my Website Gallery)

Chevvyf1
12th October 2013, 06:29 PM
Gizzsa chance matey, I've got over a 1000 pics to process, just finished me dins and need a very hot bath to iron out all the creases in my back and legs

(I'll put a few before and after CAF pics here and put up more in my Website Gallery)

WELL :D I just had a very hot bath ... and the creases are STILL here :( :rolleyes:

brian1208
12th October 2013, 06:47 PM
I try to please - here's a quick sequence I wouldn't have got without CAF

(No critique on the quality please, they have just been "Drug out of their files" without due care and attention to satisfy the needy ;) )

Fair sized crops

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com/images/sites/21/gallery/original/bailing-out-1_1381603303.jpg

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com/images/sites/21/gallery/original/bailing-out-2_1381603326.jpg

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com/images/sites/21/gallery/original/bailing-out-recovered_1381603327.jpg

I'm off to soak my aching body and may be some time - enjoy the pics in the meantime but please do it quietly - I may be sleeping! *chr

Chevvyf1
12th October 2013, 06:50 PM
great ! good recovery says Nick (his pants may not say the same ... )

Ulfric M Douglas
12th October 2013, 07:24 PM
Not really. :|

We forumites do expect pin-sharp sample IN the first post ...

...Thanks for the orange adds!

brian1208
12th October 2013, 07:36 PM
Yep, my creases are still there too (and some of the aches) got turfed out of the bath by my wife who reckoned its her turn now (apparently she did a bit of work while I was out "Having Fun" - as if *chr )

I was told that this was a young lady passenger Chevvy, so tell Nick not to make assumptions ;)

(I did note that the rider didn't even look at her to check if she was still there, which may suggest a Husband and Wife team *yes)

I've just spotted a piece of information in todays folder in LR5 which I find hard to believe, but its what is recorded - "4037 photos" (and I've already dumped a few dozen)

Now, I can just about believe I shot that many, as I did a lot of 6fps and 10fps burst shooting (I'm assuming its truly half that number as I think (but don't "Know") that it records .JPG and >RAW files a separate photos?

BUT

I only use 1 and a half'ish batteries (one still in the camera - with the battery symbol still fully lit!)

Don't ask me to explain it, I'm just reporting an observation, but this is better than I was getting with the EM-5 most of the time - and I thought the EM-1 was supposed to consume more power than the EM-5, weird?

Zuiko
12th October 2013, 09:09 PM
WELL :D I just had a very hot bath ... and the creases are STILL here :( :rolleyes:

When I have a bath, hot or cold, it is always an excellent demonstration of Archimedes' principle of displacement! :rolleyes:

StephenL
12th October 2013, 09:21 PM
When I have a bath, hot or cold, it is always an excellent demonstration of Archimedes' principle of displacement! :rolleyes:
Do you, err, often need a cold bath? :eek:

Iansky
12th October 2013, 10:18 PM

I get rid of mine by hanging upside down for an hour after the bath, removes the creases but plays hell with the ankles!

timd1230
12th October 2013, 10:32 PM
Any chance you can summarise all relevant settings used

Thanks
Tim

brian1208
13th October 2013, 07:04 AM
Tim, I gave the key setting I used for getting the CAF working above.

Additional stuff:

Exposure was under manual control
focus points - 9 box, shifted two boxes to the right
ISO from 100 - 400 as light changed
Shutter speed between 1/200 and 1/640
Aperture f4 - f8
lenses panny 35-100 and oly 40-150
IS/1 (is it now SIS? )

The shots above were with ISO 400, f6.3, 1/640th sec

Hope this covers all you need?
shot off the monopod

Zuiko
13th October 2013, 08:16 AM
Do you, err, often need a cold bath? :eek:

No, but it helps keep the gas bill down. :)

Phill D
13th October 2013, 08:35 AM
Tremendous shots Brian, can't wait for you to process your good ones!!!

brian1208
13th October 2013, 09:15 AM
some rough and ready stats

I estimate very crudely that Club Chicane is about 100 metres from back to front of the very short "straight" coming towards the position I'm shooting from (roughly scaled from the map, can't find any official data - anyone know what it really is?)

Shooting at 6fps I was typically only able to get 3 shots off whilst the bikes were in this "Straight" with a total of 5 or 6 from the entrance to the chicane (where I started focusing) to the right hand exit in front of the Stands

I got bored after I had examined 30 plus shots but in those it didn't lose focus once and, where it had locked onto the eyes of the rider behind the lead rider it kept locked on all through the sequence, even when the lead bike was overlapping (a classic case where the focus point would be switching about before. (I have over 100 such sequences and they all look equally good)

For me, this is confirmation of what I first thought - the new settings do work :)

(I had a couple of shots where there is some camera shake but even then the focus is still clearly on the eyes)

The bikes / sidecars I focused on only fill around 15-20% of the frame, with a noisy background

Chevvyf1
13th October 2013, 09:39 AM
I get rid of mine by hanging upside down for an hour after the bath, removes the creases but plays hell with the ankles!

ooh! trouble is what to hang by the ankles from ? ...

brian1208
13th October 2013, 10:02 AM
I like this shot of the rider giving his outfit a pat on the run-down lap after the race was over (its the same outfit I used to show the focus on the riders eyes, when travelling at much higher speed)

I'm using a different way of getting my images here now and it seems to have improved the quality (exporting the correctly sized images from LR5 then uploading directly into my website)

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com/images/sites/21/gallery/original/pa123768-2_1381658349.jpg

bilbo
13th October 2013, 11:30 AM
...its the same outfit I used to show the focus on the riders eyes, when travelling at much higher speed...

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com/images/sites/21/gallery/original/pa123768-2_1381658349.jpgerm... do you want to check that Brian? :)

Great pics btw! *clap

brian1208
13th October 2013, 11:39 AM
erm... do you want to check that Brian? :)

how embarrassing - old age has struck again - I hadn't posted the shots I was referring too! :o

here they are

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com/images/sites/21/gallery/original/focussed-on-the-eyes-of-the-second-one_1381656075.jpg

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com/images/sites/21/gallery/original/focussed-eyes_1381656074.jpg

Chevvyf1
13th October 2013, 01:36 PM
ahh! now I can see the hand slapping the mate on the back :)

Brian, it looks as if Thruxton has been Banking up trackside to the chicane - I am sure it was not like that on our last visit ! ???

brian1208
13th October 2013, 01:52 PM
ahh! now I can see the hand slapping the mate on the back :)

Brian, it looks as if Thruxton has been Banking up trackside to the chicane - I am sure it was not like that on our last visit ! ???

not having been there before I can't comment Chevvy. I was shooting from beside the Track Marshals post on the airfield side of the chicane, (an area restricted to the public) so maybe that explains the different look?

That bank does look a bit raw compared to the main spectator Hump by the start line though, so you could well be right

Jim Ford
13th October 2013, 01:58 PM

I guess it wasn't like that on my last visit - in the early 60s!

Jim

Chevvyf1
13th October 2013, 02:38 PM
not having been there before I can't comment Chevvy. I was shooting from beside the Track Marshals post on the airfield side of the chicane, (an area restricted to the public) so maybe that explains the different look?

That bank does look a bit raw compared to the main spectator Hump by the start line though, so you could well be right

I shall dig out some 35 slides and upload :( I am sure its 2well banked" I guess to calm the "NIMBY Noise protesters" :rolleyes:

brian1208
13th October 2013, 02:43 PM
I shall dig out some 35 slides and upload :( I am sure its 2well banked" I guess to calm the "NIMBY Noise protesters" :rolleyes:

Its clearly been added at some time as its a very different profile from the surrounding basically flat, rolling fields so probably was put up to reduce noise travel

Chevvyf1
13th October 2013, 03:05 PM
Brian, just for you :) BSB 2004

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/t_PB180097.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/66550)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/t_PB180094.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/66549)

Chevvyf1
13th October 2013, 03:07 PM
Thinking about it, rubbing a bit off, going into the chicane would generate lots of noise there :) as well as the fearsome noisy acceleration coming out of the chicane :)

Chevvyf1
13th October 2013, 03:13 PM
Yep, my creases are still there too (and some of the aches) got turfed out of the bath by my wife who reckoned its her turn now (apparently she did a bit of work while I was out "Having Fun" - as if *chr )

I was told that this was a young lady passenger Chevvy, so tell Nick not to make assumptions ;)

(I did note that the rider didn't even look at her to check if she was still there, which may suggest a Husband and Wife team *yes)

I've just spotted a piece of information in todays folder in LR5 which I find hard to believe, but its what is recorded - "4037 photos" (and I've already dumped a few dozen)

Now, I can just about believe I shot that many, as I did a lot of 6fps and 10fps burst shooting (I'm assuming its truly half that number as I think (but don't "Know") that it records .JPG and >RAW files a separate photos?

BUT

I only use 1 and a half'ish batteries (one still in the camera - with the battery symbol still fully lit!)

Don't ask me to explain it, I'm just reporting an observation, but this is better than I was getting with the EM-5 most of the time - and I thought the EM-1 was supposed to consume more power than the EM-5, weird?

Brian, Nick is out making his "legs" - But I shall tell him its a lady :) when he gets in:)

That is awesome going on the batteries ... BUT did you use LV ? or the EVF ?

I think maybe 400 on a battery is LV ???

I don't think the driver needs to look and see if the Lady aka Ballast is there :D - he would loose/flip the bike/car if the Lady fell off ... :rolleyes: especially at a critical in-out-in-out of the chicane :cool:

brian1208
13th October 2013, 03:24 PM
That is awesome going on the batteries ... BUT did you use LV ? or the EVF ?

Chevvy, I was using EVF, with the EVF - LCD auto switch off (but a fair bit of chimping :) ), I rarely use the LCD except of the tripod for the odd "Special".

I don't think the driver needs to look and see if the Lady aka Ballast is there :D - he would loose/flip the bike/car if the Lady fell off ... :rolleyes: especially at a critical in-out-in-out of the chicane :cool:

Dead right, I used to ride a "combo" after my major bike smash, best ever was a Vincent Black Shadow + special racing shell with removable lid. I knew if my passenger had fallen out as the chair came over my head! :eek:

(I only got rid of my Vincent services and maintenance manual three years back, when I met a lad who owned one now - lucky beggar! )

Those shots of Club look like they were shot from the top of the hill, down past the chicane into the approach section of the track?

blu-by-u
13th October 2013, 03:47 PM
Nice shots. Looks like oly finally got it right with the E-m1.

On the batteries, I think when we do a lot of burst/ machine gunning, there is a tendency of getting more shots out per charge. Back when I was still using the E-3 and E-5, I got more than 3 times the number of shots. From my point of view, it could be the camera is only just capturing and writing then display, write, display, write. I could be wrong.

brian1208
13th October 2013, 03:58 PM
Nice shots. Looks like oly finally got it right with the E-m1.

On the batteries, I think when we do a lot of burst/ machine gunning, there is a tendency of getting more shots out per charge. Back when I was still using the E-3 and E-5, I got more than 3 times the number of shots. From my point of view, it could be the camera is only just capturing and writing then display, write, display, write. I could be wrong.

I think I agree with you, I certainly get the best battery life out of the EM-5 when shooting sequentially at air-shows and the like. I was just surprised how well it was working with the EM-1

Chevvyf1
13th October 2013, 04:01 PM
Brian, in your images the "track" looks level - in mine there are clear gradients up - so I do believe they have re-laid the track here !

brian1208
13th October 2013, 04:23 PM
Chevvy, don't forget I am looking across the narrow part of the chicane at right angles to your view.

The approach from my left-hand is that the bikes come into view having come up the steep hill, then they turn right into the relatively level, short stretch in the middle (which I'm looking down from my vantage point), they then leave the relatively level stretch with a left turn up an incline into the start / finish "Straight", passing in front of the stands

brian1208
14th October 2013, 07:23 AM
If anyone would like to see a few more of these shots showing how the EM-1 coped with the day I've put a selection of shots from the day in my website gallery here
http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com/gallery/thruxton-race-meet-12-10-2013-19933

Xenon
14th October 2013, 08:24 AM
If anyone would like to see a few more of these shots showing how the EM-1 coped with the day I've put a selection of shots from the day in my website gallery here
http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com/gallery/thruxton-race-meet-12-10-2013-19933

Very impressive, Brian!
Thanks for sharing these :)

Chevvyf1
14th October 2013, 09:37 AM

Brian, I see you have Pam at "the Hayloft" every day :eek: are you not in attendance one day ? I hope we get to Christchurch to visit your EXPO at the hayloft ...

May get to Upton house - as childrens entry is FREE :D we can bring 8 :eek:

brian1208
14th October 2013, 12:04 PM
Very impressive, Brian!
Thanks for sharing these :)

Thanks but it was the camera what dun it! ;) I just pointed it in the right direction and it got the shots that I saw, can't ask for more than that.

(I'm taking it to the Hawk Conservancy tomorrow to see if it works as well with smaller fast things in the sky :) )

brian1208
14th October 2013, 12:07 PM
I see you have Pam at "the Hayloft" every day

I will update Pam's Hayloft duty when she has the roster sorted, she will be one of about 25 people exhibiting up until Christmas (which is why my stuff won't be in there - my work sells better when its not mixed up with a lot of other miscellaneous stuff)

It would be good to see you at Upton House if you can make it Chevvy, we've both got a fair bit of new stuff out on display this year and have a joint stall there

Chevvyf1
14th October 2013, 12:17 PM
I will update Pam's Hayloft duty when she has the roster sorted, she will be one of about 25 people exhibiting up until Christmas (which is why my stuff won't be in there - my work sells better when its not mixed up with a lot of other miscellaneous stuff)

It would be good to see you at Upton House if you can make it Chevvy, we've both got a fair bit of new stuff out on display this year and have a joint stall there

looking forward to both the Hayloft with the children :) as there is soo much there and at the Red House for them to see and be excited or stimulated by :)

and Upton House just for me ! Maybe on the Ducati ... and Maybe Nick ...

Chevvyf1
14th October 2013, 12:19 PM
Thanks but it was the camera what dun it! ;) I just pointed it in the right direction and it got the shots that I saw, can't ask for more than that.

(I'm taking it to the Hawk Conservancy tomorrow to see if it works as well with smaller fast things in the sky :) )

Brian, your on my patch, again ! are you meeting up with Thea there ? IF I could pop over .. I may ... but one or two babies Tuesday ... :cool:

brian1208
14th October 2013, 12:52 PM
I'm going with photographer friend but it would be great if you do manage to get there - we could exchange ideas on the ONE :)

are you meeting up with Thea there Can't put a face to the name so Im not sure if we have met?

Chevvyf1
14th October 2013, 01:24 PM
I'm going with photographer friend but it would be great if you do manage to get there - we could exchange ideas on the ONE :)

Can't put a face to the name so Im not sure if we have met?

Thea lives/lived down the Forest way ... but was very regular taking photo there ... great Buddy with Captain D ? Chris Dowling :cool: they "went over to the dark side 2 years ago, Canon" :eek:

Alpha1
15th October 2013, 04:18 PM

Brian I can confirm that RAW+jpg(fine) setting does produce two files of the same image. When I view mine in Bridge (CS6 latest update) there are two separate images both with identical numbering but one an .ORF file and the other a .jpg file. I will often just resize the jpg file for the web but process the Raw file for print work or should it require some PP work.