PDA

View Full Version : OMD EM-1 now mine - Olympus customer service....bad

Iansky
11th October 2013, 07:07 PM
I was lucky enough to be contacted by our branch of LCE in Cheltenham as they had the 12mm in that I had ordered and also an EM-I for me to look at (I had registered an interest with them).

Went to collect lens and they had put the EM-1 aside to show me, needles to say once I had my hands on it I fell in love and immediately traded in my EM-5 against it (got a good price before they start to fall) and walked out with new EM-1 + 12mm and minus a grand in my bank (bread and water for a year now).

I am loving the camera and it is very close in size to the EM-5 but has had a lot of photographers suggestions and desires built into it - now got to put it through it's paces but we are off to Brighton on Sun for 4 days so will give it a good try out.

I do have to add that I am livid with Olympus UK Customer Service - LCE told me about Oly offer of free battery grip & adapter and showed me paperwork in camera box.

Got home, registered camera and called Olympus to ask about grip+adapter only to be told by CS person that the offer ended last month (Sep) and anyone registering after then is not entitled to them..........needless to say I was not amused and asked how they can expect people to pre-order before seeing / handling camera and before it is available, answer well that's the way it is!!

Rang LCE who immediately called Olympus rep who was livid (he has said he has had lots of complaints about this and will look into it). The current brochure available in shops states offer on grip good until end of Oct and on adapter until end of Nov with no restriction on time for pre registering interest so not sure what is going on but not good for Oly PR and CS attitude was awful!

Enough of my moans, got to look at manual and try and learn more about the camera as similar but different from my old EM-5.

Will post some images on my return .

photo_owl
11th October 2013, 07:19 PM
how they can expect people to pre-order before seeing / handling camera and before it is available, answer well that's the way it is!!

in fairness you didn't have to order anything to register for the launch offer

as a seperate observation LCE (Strand) put in writing to me that I had to register before the registration closing date when discussing trade in values back in Sept so they seemed well versed in the situation.

Phill D
11th October 2013, 07:36 PM
Ian it seems like LCE were the ones at fault here for not understanding the offer terms and essentially misleading you. It would be nice if between them and Olympus they could cut you some sort of deal as it sort of sounds like an honest mistake and I'm sure they didn't give you over the odds for the trade in.
On the positive side I look forward to your experience with the camera. I'm sure you'll learn it's foibles quicker than I will. Mind you learning is fun.

Chevvyf1
11th October 2013, 08:08 PM
Ian, not seen you about for a g e s :( so glad to see you here and a Member of the ONE club :) I am looking forward to your images from Brighton ... we must go one day, I would love to see the Pavilion and enjoy the "Lanes" etc., )

Iansky
11th October 2013, 08:51 PM
Thanks All,

Have to admit in my frustration I was blaming Olympus but that was more down to (genuine) arrogant attitude of CS, hopefully something will get sorted - enough of my moans.

The camera does feel very solid and the new EVF is stunning so much so that it makes me forget it is electronic!
The buttons/dials and controls in general are sturdy and the "squishy but effective" buttons on the EM-5 have gone.
I can't wait to try it out in anger at Brighton and enjoy the variety of subject matter on offer (weather permitting) and do have to say the the built in grip makes a huge difference and exceeds the comfort that the grip on the EM-5 offered.
I do have to admit a pang of sadness in letting the EM-5 go as it is a superb camera that has produced some stunning A2 poster images..............lets see what the EM-1 can do in comparison.

Chevvyf1
12th October 2013, 09:37 AM
Thanks All,

Have to admit in my frustration I was blaming Olympus but that was more down to (genuine) arrogant attitude of CS, hopefully something will get sorted - enough of my moans.

The camera does feel very solid and the new EVF is stunning so much so that it makes me forget it is electronic!
The buttons/dials and controls in general are sturdy and the "squishy but effective" buttons on the EM-5 have gone.
I can't wait to try it out in anger at Brighton and enjoy the variety of subject matter on offer (weather permitting) and do have to say the the built in grip makes a huge difference and exceeds the comfort that the grip on the EM-5 offered.
I do have to admit a pang of sadness in letting the EM-5 go as it is a superb camera that has produced some stunning A2 poster images..............lets see what the EM-1 can do in comparison.

Ian, I feel that without the "built in Grip" I would have sent it back for sure :) this is an excellent DESIGN USP in my view:)

As for the EVF - I have got used to these with out pocket cameras for taking snaps of the children ... not to my liking and, frankly, I HAD FORGOT almost thats it is not "real" :eek:

I too have large pangs of sadness at letting my E-5s go :( ... worse last weekend than this weekend - BUT I have also nicked my Nicks E-5 to use, occasionally ... and even alternating with the ONE :eek: ... but I feel "weaned off E-5s" this weekend and I know they have gone to great homes and I am seeing their images still :cool: :rolleyes:

I am missing my 50-200 SWD and 50-200 lenses both were FAVs but I cannot really imagine them on this tiny body ... wish I could say the same for me ... :rolleyes:

Just have a great time in Brighton ... *chr bring back some awesome images