PDA

View Full Version : Touch and try the new E-30 tomorrow near Birmingham during the next e-group photo meet!

davidh
12th September 2008, 08:30 PM
Hi everyone

This post is to gauge interest for a meet at Chasewater in Staffordshire

Chasewater Country Park is signposted from the A5 near Cannock and Brownhills in Staffordshire, just south of its junction with the A452 (Chester Road).There is a link to a map & directions on the chasewater website below.

Quotes from the website:-

Chasewater was created as a canal feeder reservoir in the eighteenth century and remains the largest in use in the region today. It was shaped over future years by coal mining and subsequent reclamation schemes in the 1970s, which reshaped the landscape.

Chasewater Country Park's 360 hectares of water and open space are the stage for a host of leisure activities including water skiing, sailing, angling, and even a steam railway. There are excellent bird watching, rambling and cycling opportunities. On the south shore there is car parking, toilets and a children's play area.

I would suggest a Saturday or Sunday within the next 4 weeks I got to Corfu at the end of October.

The steam railway only operates on Sundays at this time of year.

link to chasewater website
http://www.lichfielddc.gov.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?categoryID=1132&documentID=332
link to chasewater railway website
http://www.chasewaterrailway.co.uk/
Link to wildlife group website
http://www.chasewater.org.uk/index.htm

Please reply if interested with a note of dates available.

thanks for looking

Dave

davidh
30th September 2008, 02:41 PM
Hi everyone

This post is to gauge interest for a meet at Chasewater in Staffordshire

Chasewater Country Park is signposted from the A5 near Cannock and Brownhills in Staffordshire, just south of its junction with the A452 (Chester Road).There is a link to a map & directions on the chasewater website below.

Quotes from the website:-

Chasewater was created as a canal feeder reservoir in the eighteenth century and remains the largest in use in the region today. It was shaped over future years by coal mining and subsequent reclamation schemes in the 1970s, which reshaped the landscape.

Chasewater Country Park's 360 hectares of water and open space are the stage for a host of leisure activities including water skiing, sailing, angling, and even a steam railway. There are excellent bird watching, rambling and cycling opportunities. On the south shore there is car parking, toilets and a children's play area.

I would suggest a Saturday or Sunday within the next 4 weeks I got to Corfu at the end of October.

The steam railway only operates on Sundays at this time of year.

link to chasewater website
http://www.lichfielddc.gov.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?categoryID=1132&documentID=332
link to chasewater railway website
http://www.chasewaterrailway.co.uk/
Link to wildlife group website
http://www.chasewater.org.uk/index.htm

Please reply if interested with a note of dates available.

thanks for looking

Dave

UPDATE/RE-POST

I would re-post this as an alternative to those who can't make the Epping Forest meet organised by John (Zuiko)

The meeting place would be the car park accessed from the A5 (follow brown signs)

There are plenty of photo opportunities :- sunrise over the lake for early risers (if were lucky)
There is plenty of birdlife on & around the lake (swans/geese/ducks etc),
wooded area, fungi and wildlife.
The light railway/sidings/signal box & stroage yard provide other opportunities.

there are 2 cafes providing light meals/drinks etc

Heres hoping for a positive response this time!!:D

Thanks for looking
*chr
Dave

davidh
30th September 2008, 10:01 PM
Picked up a "whats on" flyer at Chasewater advertising 2 photographic events that may be of interest :-

1) Pits & people - exhibition of photos of miners, mining & machinery by Keith Tranah also photos taken down mines. Unable to use flash because of risk of igniting gasses Keith used a technique of "painting by light" to capture images.
exhibition from 6th to 30th October.

2) Canock Photographic Society has its annual exhibition from 1st to 30th November.

These exhibitions could be visited at the Chasewater Innovation Centre at the Park as part of a meet if anyone is interested.

Dave

Zuiko
30th September 2008, 11:22 PM
COME ON MIDLAND'S MEMBERS!!

DAVE'S COME UP WITH A REALLY GREAT IDEA FOR A LOCAL MEET, ALONG THE LINES OF THE ONE'S WE DO VERY SUCCESSFULLY DOWN IN ESSEX/LONDON

THERE MUST BE SOMEONE INTERESTED!

I'D COME IF IT WASN'T SO FAR :(

theMusicMan
1st October 2008, 06:18 AM
Just looked it up on Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=WS8+7Nl&ie=UTF8&ll=52.663448,-1.945953&spn=0.013404,0.038624&t=h&z=15&iwloc=addr) and for me I'm afraid, this is again just a little too far for a trip out.

If circumstances were a little better maybe I could stretch it, but times are tough at the moment and I wouldn't be able to make it, very sorry Dave.

I am sure this would be a super meet though for those that can make it.

mike_j
1st October 2008, 07:23 AM
Epping forest and Chasewater are about equidistant for me. Both locations sound good but I can only make one I'm afraid and it will have to be Epping just to get my hands on Ian's demo gear.

Ian
1st October 2008, 07:31 AM
Hello all - if David and John can agree different dates I will try to get to both; how about that? :D

Ian

davidh
1st October 2008, 11:48 AM
Thanks Ian*chr

As Johns is arranged for the 9th November - i would suggest 2nd or 16th November - if you can get a "free pass" for 2 events so close together.
I can't do 26th Oct or 23rd Nov.

Dave

mike_j
1st October 2008, 02:39 PM
At the monment I can do either - it would be nice to get this one off the ground.

davidh
1st October 2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks Mike*chr

As you say it is worth getting this off the ground

Any one else able to make 2nd or 16th November

Dave

davidh
6th October 2008, 10:02 PM
Not as much interest as for Epping Forest - is it time to cancel???:mad::(

theMusicMan
6th October 2008, 10:06 PM
Keep going at it Dave, these meets are always difficult to arrange... right up to the last minute - but I can assure you that they are always superb events. I was in the same predicament when organising the Caerleon shoot, but it turned out to be an absolutely fabulous day.

Stick with it I'd say matey...

OlyPaul
7th October 2008, 05:37 PM
I could possibly make it. :)

Ian
7th October 2008, 07:51 PM
As previously posted, I will do my best to be at both events - as long as they aren't on the same day :)

Ian

davidh
8th October 2008, 06:21 AM
Thanks Ian*chr

We have a little interest from Paul & Mike J - i would propose Sunday 16th November @ 8.00 am if this is OK with you.

*chr
Dave

mike_j
17th October 2008, 07:01 PM
David

This really needs to be a 'sticky' post if it is to attract attention.

theMusicMan
17th October 2008, 07:21 PM
Consider it stuck! :)

tonksy
20th October 2008, 02:18 PM
Both my son and myself would be interested in a meet @ Chasewater according to when it is.
Tonksy &Tonksysson

davidh
20th October 2008, 08:19 PM
Tonksy &Tonksysson
Thanks for the support - i had proposed meeting on 16th November time to be agreed

Ian

Is this date OK or should we change due to clash with Ellies solent meet

Dave

tonksy
21st October 2008, 08:02 AM
16th november seems fine to me
Tonksy

davidh
23rd October 2008, 08:41 PM
thanks Tonksy - look forward to meeting you

i am going to Corfu for a week on Friday 24/10:)

i will check progress of meet on my return and firm up on all details

*chr
Dave

davidh
5th November 2008, 08:44 AM
As previously posted, I will do my best to be at both events - as long as they aren't on the same day :)

Ian

Ian

any more thoughts on this meet proposed for 16th November

Dave

Ian
5th November 2008, 11:09 AM
Ian

any more thoughts on this meet proposed for 16th November

Dave

Yes, I'm up for it and will bring the usual goodies, plus a Lumix G1 :)

Dave - as you have the local knowledge, you need to confirm the meeting location, time and plan of action for the day.

Ian

mike_j
6th November 2008, 07:11 PM
I'm still availble to come but am just recovering from a foot injury and am walking with some discomfort so may cry off as I won't be able to walk very far.

Ian
6th November 2008, 07:45 PM
I'm still availble to come but am just recovering from a foot injury and am walking with some discomfort so may cry off as I won't be able to walk very far.

Hopefully enough healing will have improved things in over a week's time :)

Ian

Ian
10th November 2008, 01:53 PM
Thanks Ian*chr

We have a little interest from Paul & Mike J - i would propose Sunday 16th November @ 8.00 am if this is OK with you.

*chr
Dave

Time to firm things up - if you are interested in meeting next Sunday here, let us know :)

I will have a selection of great lenses if you would like to try them, plus the Panasonic Lumix G1, which was certainly of interest yedterday.

Ian

mike_j
10th November 2008, 08:37 PM
Sorry, I can't think that I will be fit - can hardly walk 50 yds at present.

It's a shame, nice venue and I'd like to try the G1 especially.

Ian
10th November 2008, 08:50 PM
Sorry, I can't think that I will be fit - can hardly walk 50 yds at present.

It's a shame, nice venue and I'd like to try the G1 especially.

No problem, Mike - the important thing is to get well soon!

Ian

Zuiko
10th November 2008, 10:02 PM
I really hope this meet goes ahead and wish I could make it myself.

The Epping trip was a great success and everyone enjoyed meeting other members.

In addition there was the opportunity to use lenses that you wouldn't normally get to handle, such as the 90-250mm (what a beast and really expensive), 14-35mm (constant f2 apperture, probably the best standard zoom from any manufacturer, at a price to match!), 7-14mm (wow, that's wide!), 9-18mm (less than half the price and half the weight of the 7-14 but a terrific wide zoom in it's own right), plus the diminuative G1 (you really have to see it and hold it to realise just how small it is), a chance to try tomorrow's technology today and gain a unique glimpse of the future of photography.

PLUS the benefits of spending a whole day photographing what sounds to me a terrific location!

Come on, Midlander's - don't be outdone by a bunch of Southern Softies! Show some support for David and make Ian's long drive worthwhile (as well as bringing all those goodies to play with he's a really nice guy you'll be pleased to meet)! I promise you'll have a really great day!

davidh
11th November 2008, 07:18 AM
Thanks Zuiko for the support and especially to Ian for offering to bring such a great selection of Kit

Now all we need is some photographers to take advantage.

It really is a great location with most things Epping Forest had to offer plus the light railway will be running on Sunday and there should be water skiing and sailing to add to the wildlife/trees and views.

i will post further details in the coming days couild Paul S and Tonksy please confirm if still ok - will need to be early for the sunrise(hopefully) probably 7.00 to 7.30.

Come on other Midlanders or northerners lets make this as successful as the Southern meets and make Ian's journey worthwhile.

Off to check the weather forecast now.

*chr
Dave

Ian
11th November 2008, 01:20 PM
How about this for a bit of news to boost next Sunday's meet? I'll have a pre-production E-30 with the new 14-54 Mark II

It's a newer sample than the one that dpreview had last week and I'm told it's working fully, but we probably won't be able to publish images from it.

So if you'd like to see the E-30, come along to Chasewater park on Sunday!

Ian

OlyPaul
11th November 2008, 04:00 PM
I'll be there just let me know exactly where to meet and when.:)

Ian
11th November 2008, 04:18 PM
The meeting time is 8AM, I'm not precisely sure where - David, if you are looking in, can you provide a Streetmap screen grab or link to pinpoint the actual meeting point? :)

Ian

davidh
11th November 2008, 09:44 PM
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=firefox-a&channel=s&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=53.800651,-4.064941&spn=12.635315,28.300781&z=5

Ian

Google map attached for meeting place.

If you are travelling from the East (Tamworth/Lichfield A38/A461) you will have to use the island at the A452 (1/2 mile) as there is no right turn across the dual carriageway on the A5

Postcode to use in sat nav - WS8 7NL

Dave

ps link takes you to sign on screen type post code (WS8 7NL) for location. I couldnt add link to map

Ian
11th November 2008, 09:49 PM
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=firefox-a&channel=s&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=53.800651,-4.064941&spn=12.635315,28.300781&z=5

Ian

Google map attached for meeting place.

If you are travelling from the East (Tamworth/Lichfield A38/A461) you will have to use the island at the A452 (1/2 mile) as there is no right turn across the dual carriageway on the A5

Postcode to use in sat nav - WS8 7NL

Dave

ps link takes you to sing on screen type post code (WS8 7NL) for location. I couldnt add link to map

Thanks David!

Ian

Andrew Riddell
11th November 2008, 11:58 PM
Sorry I can't be there (prior school concert engagement in Somerset!), but the E30 is well worth seeing. I had a play with an incomplete (no levelling) version last weekend and was very impressed. Pricing will no doubt be another issue!

Hope you all have a great time!

Andrew

tonksy
12th November 2008, 10:42 AM
Hi
something has cropped up and I will not be able to make the chasewater meet
i am very dissapointed as it would have been my first meet with the group.
Hope everything goes well and look forward to another meet in the future
Tonksy

davidh
12th November 2008, 01:00 PM
Hi
something has cropped up and I will not be able to make the chasewater meet
i am very dissapointed as it would have been my first meet with the group.
Hope everything goes well and look forward to another meet in the future
Tonksy

sorry you can't make it Tonksy

Is any one else interested - i would have thought the chance to handle an E30 and some expensive glass would generate more interest:(

Dave

Ian
12th November 2008, 02:09 PM
David, the google maps link you provided doesn't seem to work for Internet Explorer users (looks like the url is for FireFox browsers). I have used the Post Code on Streetmap and this is the result:

http://streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=403976&y=307114&z=0&sv=WS8+7NL&st=2&pc=WS8+7NL&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

And I have just sent a newsletter to e-group members highlighting this weekend's opportunity :)

Ian

davidh
12th November 2008, 09:50 PM
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=WS8+7Nl&ie=UTF8&ll=52.663448,-1.945953&spn=0.013404,0.038624&t=h&z=15&iwloc=addr

link updated to google maps for meet location.

The car park is acessed off 1st left off Pool Road after passing over M6 toll road.

A wide variety of birds have been seen recently see here.
http://www.chasewater.org.uk/diarymonths/2008/November%202008.htm

Dave

Ian
13th November 2008, 10:55 AM
By the way, if you aren't yet an e-group member, but would like to meet up anyway, and have some hands-on time with the E-30, and the G1, plus try out some lenses from my kit bag :) - by all means come along, you will be most welcome, though I'd appreciate it if you could let me know, so I can let David know and we can also keep you informed of meeting details.

I can be contacted via forum-admin@e-group.uk.net.

Ian

davidh
13th November 2008, 01:41 PM
Due to maintenance the light railway will not be running :(on Sunday but i have contacted the station master and we will be allowed to access the storage yard and other areas which may provide some good opportunities for photos

*chr

Dave

Barr1e
13th November 2008, 09:40 PM
Hi davidh -

Don't hold your breath - but Anne and I should be there an hour or so after the start. PM sent.

Regards. Barr1e

davidh
13th November 2008, 10:31 PM
Thanks Barrie

looking forward to meeting Anne & you

*chr

Dave

Ian
14th November 2008, 09:19 AM
The weather forecast is looking good for Sunday in the Walsall area :)

Ian

OlyPaul
14th November 2008, 10:35 AM
The weather forecast is looking good for Sunday in the Walsall area :)

Ian

Looking forward to meeting some fellow Olympians anyway regardeless of weather but it would be a nice bonus.:D

davidh
14th November 2008, 01:00 PM
With most of those attending travelling a good distance i would propose changing to a 9.00am start -

At present the list of those attending is:-

Ian & myself
Barrie & Annie
Paul S
Rod Souter

Its great to see people willing to travel a good distance only Paul S and myself are local

If anyone else is thinking of joining us at a later time this could be accommodated - let me know & i will send you my mobile number.

Just a reminder that Ian will be bringing some excellent kit - 90-250mm, 14-35mm, 7-14mm, 9-18mm lenses Lumix G1 and not forgetting the E-30 and new 14-54 mkII.

I will also bring 35 & 50 macros, extension tube and 8mm fisheye if anyone wants to try them.

What more could you ask.

Dave

OlyPaul
14th November 2008, 06:26 PM
9.00am is fine with me Dave, I'll bring along the not so exotic 70-300mm, 11-22mm and 25mm pancake lens for anyone that wants to try them.:)

Ian
14th November 2008, 06:33 PM
9.00am is fine with me Dave, I'll bring along the not so exotic 70-300mm, 11-22mm and 25mm pancake lens for anyone that wants to try them.:)

My kit bag does not include a 70-300, so that's a bonus. I do have an 11-22 and a 25 pancake, so I will leave those at home in order to save some weight!

I think David has a 50 f/2 macro, so I won't bring mine.

What about the other lenses I have:

9-18 - guess that's a certainty!
90-250 - ditto!
50-200 SWD?
12-60 SWD
14-35 f/2 SWD :)
EC-14 converter
EC-20 converter

Alas, after comments made about the sharpness of my 7-14 on FTU when compared with some other super wide angles (see: http://fourthirds-user.com/2008/11/zuiko_digital_918_sample_image_comparisons.php) my 7-14 has gone to be checked. Sorry if anyone wanted to try this one.

As previously stated, I'll be bringing the pre-production (but fully functional) E-30 body, plus the Mark II 14-54, and the Panasonic Lumix G-1, with Four Thirds Adapter.

Ian

davidh
14th November 2008, 10:29 PM
Yes Ian i will have the 50 F2 with me:)

*chr

Dave

Zuiko
14th November 2008, 10:49 PM
Anyone who hasn't tried the 14-35mm f2, give it a go.....it's a fantastic lens!

Regarding the 7-14, Ian, I think it is a wise precaution to get it checked although when I borrowed it last weekend I thought it was perfectly sharp. :)

Have fun you guys, wish I could come!

davidh
15th November 2008, 07:41 PM
We have 6 attending at the moment

at least we wont have to share the E30 with too many:D

Dave

Zuiko
15th November 2008, 08:48 PM
We have 6 attending at the moment

at least we wont have to share the E30 with too many:D

Dave

Six is a good number! I hosted a very successful day at Kensal Green Cemetery in August with only five of us present so take heart Dave, you've done brilliant and shown great perseverance in getting this off the ground. I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Have a great day!

Ellie
15th November 2008, 09:47 PM
Six is a good number!
*yes It is, especially as you're going to get the chance to use the E-30. It'll mean you'll each get a really good chance to use it and see whether you like it - Ian already knows what it's like.

Have a fabulous time *chr

alert_bri
16th November 2008, 10:43 AM
Guys, I'm sorry I won't be able to join you for this event - we're just too busy preparing.

Have a fabulous day!

Kind Regards

Brian

alert_bri
16th November 2008, 11:29 AM
I'm sorry if my post upset you John, we're just trying to make sure that people don't miss every opportunity to meet with like-minded Olympus photographers - which I thought was on-topic for this thread... obviously wrongly! :o

I am sorry that I won't be able to make this meet, and as Ian said coordination is essential in making the most of our limited time and availability - which needs more communication and more coordination - but apparently not through reminders in related threads... my mistake.

Come up to Nottingham, and perhaps you can promote the E-System Talk forum to everyone their? I will certainly be doing so *chr

Kind Regards

Brian

theMusicMan
16th November 2008, 11:33 AM
Not upset Brian, just moved the reference to your meeting/event to its own separate thread. Feel free to edit/amend accordingly.

Recently, due to personal circumstances, I have been unable to attend many of the wonderful meetings and events that are being organised, and I am saddened that I have not been able to do so. Hopefully I will soon be able to once again attend many of them and lend my support to the excellent effort members here, and yourself, undertake on behalf of Olympus and our kit!

alert_bri
16th November 2008, 11:38 AM
That's good to hear here John - I will update the other message.

Look forward to seeing you soon.

Kind Regards

Brian

mike_j
16th November 2008, 07:02 PM
David and Ian,

Thank you for arranging a good meeting at an interesting venue. I'm sorry I stayed for so little time and couldn't meet up again later but it was nice to meet you and see some of the Olympus gear.

I was really taken by the Panasonic G1 (I suppose that I should only say this on the 4/3 forum :o), especially impressed by the manual focussing. Now if there is an adaptor for Leica M so I can use some of the Leica and Voigtlander lenses as well as my Oly lenses I am a potential purchaser, though I will hold off until I see what Oly come up with.

I hope you all enjoyed the day and got some decent pics.

alert_bri
16th November 2008, 07:10 PM
Hi Mike,

my 4/3rds adapter should be here tomorrow / Tuesday... the Leica M adapter is rumoured to be coming in December.

The G1 is the best option currently for legacy lenses (due to the enhanced manual focusing you mention) - the kit lens is good for a kit lens, and of course includes stabilisation but I think the ZD 9-18 will be a killer combination for this camera.

Kind Regards

Brian

davidh
16th November 2008, 08:03 PM
Thanks to Ian, Barrie & Annie,Paul S, Rod Souter and Mike J for making the day at Chasewater so enjoyable despite the weather in the morning.

Look forward to seeing the pics:)

*chr
Dave

OlyPaul
16th November 2008, 08:24 PM
Yes a great day and enjoyable company.:D

Now I just have to sort through all the pics I took !:)

Ian
16th November 2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks to Ian, Barrie & Annie,Paul S, Rod Souter and Mike J for making the day at Chasewater so enjoyable despite the weather in the morning.

Look forward to seeing the pics:)

*chr
Dave

The thanks go to you, David, for such an interesting and varied venue - we had wildlife, engines and trains - and Santa's Grotto :D

The pictures will explain it all!

And in the end the weather really came right, not that the cold, misty, drizzle of the morning hinted at this first thing!

Ian

Ian
16th November 2008, 08:42 PM
Yes a great day and enjoyable company.:D

Now I just have to sort through all the pics I took !:)

Me too! It was great to meet you, today, Rod - hope the journey home was good :)

Ian

Barr1e
16th November 2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks David...

...and all for making the day so pleasurable - enjoyed it immensely.

I'll try and put a pic or two up tonight and some more tomorrow.
Meanwhile http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2915

Regards. Barr1e

Ann1e
16th November 2008, 09:58 PM
I, too, thoroughly enjoyed today after a pretty uncertain start weather wise. Thanks for the organisation, David.

Have posted a pic of the 'lads' on the Chasewater picture thread -:D - and will add some others later.

Regards, Anne

Rockin Ronnie
16th November 2008, 10:21 PM
Heck, I'm here in Nova Scotia Canada and I wish I were with you guys today. If it's any consolation it was a pretty miserable day here as well. Anxious to hear the field reports.

Ron

Ian
17th November 2008, 06:54 AM
Heck, I'm here in Nova Scotia Canada and I wish I were with you guys today. If it's any consolation it was a pretty miserable day here as well. Anxious to hear the field reports.

Ron

Pictures in the gallery are now appearing here:

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/677

There is a thread here as well:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3738

Ian