PDA

View Full Version : Zoom on liveview not working

Ian Grego
9th October 2013, 07:25 PM
Good evening all.

Whilst playing with menus along with reading David Busch`s guide. I seem to have lost the facility to zoom in when on live view using the info button. Small green square hit the ok button to zoom

In the menu it is gears/ then D DISP/ then info settings/ then LV info.

Then you have the list of Displayed grid, Histogram, Highlight, Shadows, ZOOM, Multi view etc.

But on mine the ZOOM is grey out for the only description I can think of.

I did not have the camera from new so I do not know if the previous owner had switched it off .

Any help in switching it back on will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ian

andym
10th October 2013, 10:26 AM
Ian

I've been trying to find answer to this but have failed, I assume it's down to some combination of settings.On my E5 it's not greyed out.
Have you tried the MF assist setting in cog A. This is what I use in live view so the image is magnified when the focus ring is turned, great for manual focusing.

Hope someone else can find an answer.

Ian Grego
10th October 2013, 11:44 AM
Andy,

Thanks for looking at yours I had a feeling you if anyone would see if they could sort it out.

I have the manual assist switched on. I have tried switching it off but it's not sorted it out.

I may be cheeky and ask to meet you next time I stop at Newbury Park holiday inn express.
Just compare menu setting camera to camera.

I am going to turkey next week but will keep in touch while away, need some sun and r & r to get rid of this man flu.

Thanks again

Ian

andym
10th October 2013, 12:53 PM
No problem let me know when your in the area and perhaps we could have a pint somewhere(couple of good pubs in Wanstead two stops down the Central line) .
I've had the lurgy for about two and a half weeks, not really bad but can't shake it off.

pault
10th October 2013, 01:15 PM
Hi Andy and Ian
Lets see if I can help. Using E-M5 I set the record button to magnify. When I press first time I get "green box" second press I get magnify which can be adjusted by Knob next viewfinder.
Here's how to set it up: Menu -> Cogs->"B"->"Button Function" ->"record button "(this circle with dot inside)-> select "magnify"
Hope this helps
Pault

Ross the fiddler
10th October 2013, 01:41 PM
Hi Andy and Ian
Lets see if I can help. Using E-M5 I set the record button to magnify. When I press first time I get "green box" second press I get magnify which can be adjusted by Knob next viewfinder.
Here's how to set it up: Menu -> Cogs->"B"->"Button Function" ->"record button "(this circle with dot inside)-> select "magnify"
Hope this helps
Pault

Sorry, but I understand this to be for the E-5, not the E-M5.

Normally the Info key can cycle the screen through to magnified Live View with the green rectangle & then pressing the OK button should show the magnified view & turning the wheels changes the zoom (or magnification) amount.

Ian, I hope you can sort it OK. I just checked the E30 & I noticed having the Mode Dial selected for Art Filters it 'greyed out' some options. Maybe the Mode setting on the E5 could be responsible for 'greying out' of that option.

Tordan58
13th October 2013, 11:14 PM
I checked on my E5 and have the same behavior, Liveview Zoom is greyed out and it not possible to engage the magnified view.

Bruce Clarke
13th October 2013, 11:46 PM
Pault's comment was basically right for the E-5 too. Allocate a button (say Fn) to Magnify. One press brings up the green box. Position it with the arrows if required, and change magnification with the dial. Press the button again to zoom in and focus. Press again to zoom full frame again. All on page 40 of the manual.

Bruce

Tordan58
14th October 2013, 08:16 AM
Bruce,

Thanks for the information.

After setting MF assist = On I managed to engage the liveview magnification when rotating the focus ring on a 4/3 lens so the functionality is obviously present, however this does not help when using MF lenses (which I often do).

The final missing piece of puzzle - how do you program the camera to allocate the Fn button to magnify? In what menu?

/Tord

Bruce Clarke
14th October 2013, 09:17 AM
Tordan, Cog B Button/Dial, and choose what you want to set to what. You can set it to other buttons, but you need to decide your overall plan first. You really do need to read the manual :)

Bruce

Ian Grego
14th October 2013, 01:51 PM
As I understand what I was reading as per my opening post this should work on live view via info button. Not using fn button.

Currently on holiday so can't check what I read till I get home.

But thanks for all the suggestions

Ian

andym
14th October 2013, 02:01 PM
Yep mine works by pushing the info button until you get the green square and then a push of the OK button magnifies it.

Bruce Clarke
14th October 2013, 02:28 PM
Yes Andy, that works for me too, just a lot of button presses on Info to cycle through. Fn button saves time.

Ian, yes, regarding your original post, on mine, the Zoom option on my LV Info is On, and not greyed out. Not sure why it is on yours.

Bruce

Jim Ford
14th October 2013, 04:12 PM
IIRC if you have the option set that enables zoom when moving the focus ring, you then don't have it using the 'Info' button. I initially had the zoom feature 'allied' to the focus ring and found it a mega irritation!

Jim

Tordan58
14th October 2013, 09:03 PM
Tordan, Cog B Button/Dial, and choose what you want to set to what. You can set it to other buttons, but you need to decide your overall plan first. You really do need to read the manual :)

Bruce
Bruce,
It me took a while to understand the manuak, eventually I managed to allocate the preview button to magnification (the one on the front of the body) I failed in allocating the Fn button, though. Never mind...