PDA

View Full Version : An unexpected bonus with the EM-1

brian1208
9th October 2013, 04:43 PM
I've got a cataract growing in my right eye (my "Photo-eye" ) and at times was finding the EM-5 EVF could be a little difficult to use to confirm accurate focus.

Thinking about my two shoots so far with the EM-1 I have spotted two definite improvements:

- the larger / clearer EVF definitely helps
- on the few occasions that I have not been sure of focus lock I am now getting confident that the AF is nailing the shot as I want *chr

(before anyone suggests it, I don't want to swap eyes when using the viewfinder as my left eye is still OK and I don't want to put strain on it in case that starts playing up too)

DerekW
10th October 2013, 01:51 AM
I do not think that use of an eye would cause or reduce the forming of a cataract. Basically the lens material is degrading and becoming opaque and crystalline.
You are using your good eye any way even if not looking through the viewfinder.

Chevvyf1
10th October 2013, 05:03 AM
Brian, I can recommend Mr David Anderson at Optegra Whiteley, Nr. Portsmouth :D for Cataract removal and lens implants :D:D:D ps he is also Head of Ophthalmology at Portsmouth & Southampton Hosps :)

brian1208
10th October 2013, 06:34 AM
thanks both. I know you are right Derek, in my case the ophthalmologist told me its a direct consequence of UV exposure through spending too much time in the Far East, the Tropics and sat in my dinghy squinting into the sun without sun glasses on.

He suggested I should wear polarised sun glasses to slow down the development, can you imagine trying to use an EVF with them on! ;)

Chevvy, I'm coping OK at the moment but will get it sorted on the NHS when its time. With so many "Olds" down here the local hospital seems to have got it down to a fine art and many of my buddies have had theirs' done by them with good outcomes

Its playing havoc with my Green / Blue colour discrimination though :)

DerekW
10th October 2013, 03:17 PM
At the moment you are seeing the world through green yellow brown filter, you will not be able to distinguish the different types of white plastic used in electrical fittings eg switches, sockets. These devices change colour as they age and the cataract makes hem appear to be a similar colour.

The reason the optho holds back is to save money, not to to maximise your sight and also because they are not suffering a form of blindness.

Chevvyf1
10th October 2013, 03:44 PM
thanks both. I know you are right Derek, in my case the ophthalmologist told me its a direct consequence of UV exposure through spending too much time in the Far East, the Tropics and sat in my dinghy squinting into the sun without sun glasses on.

He suggested I should wear polarised sun glasses to slow down the development, can you imagine trying to use an EVF with them on! ;)

Chevvy, I'm coping OK at the moment but will get it sorted on the NHS when its time. With so many "Olds" down here the local hospital seems to have got it down to a fine art and many of my buddies have had theirs' done by them with good outcomes

Its playing havoc with my Green / Blue colour discrimination though :)

Brian, AFTER I had had both Cataracts done ... Nick and I were sitting in bed one weekend having Brekkers ...a TREAT :) ... and I said to Nick, "WoW you have very BRIGHT blue eyes" and he replied, in a droll tone ... "they have always been that colour" ...

I had thought his eyes were grey :eek:

At the Hosp they had dull yellow bin liners ... until immediately after the Op on the first eye and I said to the Nurse "Gosh your bin liners are florescent yellow here !" she looked puzzled, and said "they have always been that colour ... " I said not in the Before op room - they are dull not florescent yellow " she replied, its your eyes post op you can see clearly now "

Remember Derek ? Derek and I had our left Eyes done the same day and a week or two later our right eyes done the same day :) :D

Brian, I would say Get it done ASAP - the NHS are doing a " Health & Age and Activity & Fitness Case review on Elders ... and most FAIL to get their op ... AS the 50% of Elders increases the operations done shall decrease ... AS it is the NHS only do ONE per person up this way ... and you can go blind in the other :eek: I had to go private ! my sight was too good ... :(

brian1208
10th October 2013, 04:04 PM
Thanks for your continued input both, much appreciated.

the NHS are doing a " Health & Age and Activity & Fitness Case review on Elders ... and most FAIL to get their op ... AS the 50% of Elders increases the operations done shall decrease ... AS it is the NHS only do ONE per person up this way ... and you can go blind in the other

Must be different depending on which Health Authority it is as there are no such problems down here (maybe because us Olds outnumber all the youngsters and have more money! :p )

I'm keeping a very close eye on things (groan - did I really type that :o ) as I went temporarily blind in one eye for several months when I got a severe case of shingles in it) and I'm getting my eyes checked every 6 months or so, sooner if I feel the need

I have an antipathy to going Private, an odd personal foible I know, but up to now I have had nothing but superb treatment from the NHS, over a lifetime with some pretty major incidents and I don't plan to let them of the hook just yet :D

Chevvyf1
10th October 2013, 04:24 PM
Thanks for your continued input both, much appreciated.

Must be different depending on which Health Authority it is as there are no such problems down here (maybe because us Olds outnumber all the youngsters and have more money! :p )

I'm keeping a very close eye on things (groan - did I really type that :o ) as I went temporarily blind in one eye for several months when I got a severe case of shingles in it) and I'm getting my eyes checked every 6 months or so, sooner if I feel the need

I have an antipathy to going Private, an odd personal foible I know, but up to now I have had nothing but superb treatment from the NHS, over a lifetime with some pretty major incidents and I don't plan to let them of the hook just yet :D

Perhaps us old Crocks best move down there ... as up here we have all age ranges and more young and fit, working than Elders :rolleyes:

DerekW
10th October 2013, 10:35 PM
Going private is helping the NHS as well as helping you.