PDA

View Full Version : First Aircraft shot with E-M1

DerekC
8th October 2013, 05:37 PM
Stopped off at IWM Duxford today on my way back from Essex. Had E-M1 with me so I thought I would take few static shot of B17 "Sally B" and other when I heard a plane coming in very quick. I was caught out completely all the wrong settings IS on. Adjusted what I could and got this.

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Duxford.jpg

StephenL
8th October 2013, 05:50 PM
That's a good one. Shutter speed just right.

pvasc
8th October 2013, 05:55 PM
Not bad. That looks like another Me-109 with the Damler Benz engine. Do they have 2? Haven't been there in 20 years. Last Damler powered Me-109 I remember was painted sky blue, and they had just started flying it.

dogsbody
8th October 2013, 06:14 PM
Great capture of a Hispano Buchon, which hopefully it will be flying on Sunday, even more hopefully I will be trying to take photos of it (if something arrives at SRS on time.)to me it always seems like a bonus when I unexpectedly see an old aeroplane!

Phill D
8th October 2013, 06:24 PM
That's a great shot Derek no matter what settings you used.

DerekC
8th October 2013, 06:35 PM
Great capture of a Hispano Buchon, which hopefully it will be flying on Sunday, even more hopefully I will be trying to take photos of it (if something arrives at SRS on time.)to me it always seems like a bonus when I unexpectedly see an old aeroplane!

Yes it is the Hispano aircraft. It flew in and did a short practice display.

DerekC
8th October 2013, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the comments I'm reasonably pleased considering I wasn't prepared for aircraft in flight.

Ulfric M Douglas
8th October 2013, 06:42 PM
So it's not a Messerschmidt in desert livery?

:(

Things just aren't what they used to be ...

dogsbody
8th October 2013, 06:44 PM
This is what has me excited and worried in equal measure, I was getting used to another manufacturer's slr and along with a bigma together they got me the odd keeper. Here is hoping that I can get my head around a new system.

:eek:

dogsbody
8th October 2013, 06:57 PM
So it's not a Messerschmidt in desert livery?

:(

Things just aren't what they used to be ...

Well elsewhere I have been described as a bit of an anorak so...

Basically during the 2nd World war they were licence built in Spain by Hispano with an upright v12 engine (German built had inverted engines) After the war they were built with Merlin engines.

I have a feeling that this is a Merlin powered variant

I'll get my anorak .....

Alpha1
8th October 2013, 07:00 PM
Perfect Derek, I hope that you can remember your settings!

catkins
8th October 2013, 07:58 PM
Prop blur? Tick
Sun to add emphasis to leading edges, etc.? Tick
Focus? Tick
Colour and contrast against background? Tick

Umm, now just a case of waiting for a parcel, adding the adaptor and Sigma telezoom and seeing whether the electronic viewfinder helps or defeats my attempts at tracking some low flying aircraft, but at least this is a good hint of what is to come. Great shot especially with the lack of forewarning, and it would be interesting to hear what settings you would have changed if you had had a little extra time to set it up for the action.

Regards
Chris

Ian
8th October 2013, 08:23 PM
ISO 1000 - not bad, but f/22 didn't do the picture any favours and yet it's not too bad at all :)

Ian

Chevvyf1
8th October 2013, 08:46 PM
Derek a great capture :) whatever ... it looks great here :)

DerekC
8th October 2013, 08:52 PM
ISO 1000 - not bad, but f/22 didn't do the picture any favours and yet it's not too bad at all :)

Ian

I agree with the comment regarding f/22 I had ISO 1000 set as I had just come out of one the hangers where I needed the high ISO. No flash with me!

The one thing I learnt and managed to change was to turn the 'Rec View' off otherwise you can't track the aircraft as you are looking at the previous shot.

I think I did adjust the ISO but by that time it was landing.

I have a setting I have put inti myset for the future.

DerekC
8th October 2013, 09:03 PM
Well elsewhere I have been described as a bit of an anorak so...

I have a feeling that this is a Merlin powered variant

I'll get my anorak .....

No problem with but yes get your anorak! It is Merlin powered. I heard the distinctive sound before i could see the plane.

DerekC
8th October 2013, 09:15 PM
Prop blur? Tick
Sun to add emphasis to leading edges, etc.? Tick
Focus? Tick
Colour and contrast against background? Tick

Umm, now just a case of waiting for a parcel, adding the adaptor and Sigma telezoom and seeing whether the electronic viewfinder helps or defeats my attempts at tracking some low flying aircraft, but at least this is a good hint of what is to come. Great shot especially with the lack of forewarning, and it would be interesting to hear what settings you would have changed if you had had a little extra time to set it up for the action.

Regards
Chris

I changed the lens from 12-60 to 75-300, adjust shutter speed, turn on CAF and squence shooting. The only other thing I managed to do was turn the Rec View off but not until I had already missed some shots whilst panning. Didn't have time to try CAF Tracking so can't comment if it will help.

What I would have set, ISO to allow a lower f number, turn IS off as aircraft move in all directions. Make sure Rec View is off.

Zuiko
8th October 2013, 11:09 PM
I think that is very impressive by any standards. :)

OM USer
9th October 2013, 11:31 AM
Impressive shot to grab it without any preparation.