PDA

View Full Version : SCP help

brian1208
8th October 2013, 11:12 AM
I'm at the frustrating, "its like the EM-5 but sufficiently different to be annoying" stage at the moment

It appears that the only way I can display the SCP pane is by having the LCD to EVF switch on (at least, that's my reading of the manual and where I have got to with the camera in hand so far)

With the EM-5 I have the LV / EFV switch off but can still see the SCP in the EVF

Can I do this with the EM-1 and if so, how

Help please, I've just wasted 15 minutes of valuable shooting time over this! :confused:

(on another point, I read someone had the feeling the IS wasn't as effective with the EM1 compared to the EM-5, that's my very first impression, but I need to go for a proper shoot this afternoon)

Looking forward to taming this beast - I love to feel of the controls so far, excellent button and dial feel

brian1208
8th October 2013, 11:41 AM
I've sorted it by going into the menu and basically pushing any button that looked as if it might do the trick. :D

I must take the time to go through it more systematically later, but I want to get out and have a proper shoot this afternoon

Chevvyf1
8th October 2013, 11:51 AM
Well Brian, here at Winchester its bright sunny Autumn day with Blue skies :)

almost ideal light :)

brian1208
8th October 2013, 11:53 AM
more cloud but still lovely, the Quayside is my venue for this afternoon, seagulls and hopefully a few kiters out

Chevvyf1
8th October 2013, 11:56 AM
more cloud but still lovely, the Quayside is my venue for this afternoon, seagulls and hopefully a few kiters out

oooh! Lucky you :) I would lurve to be going to Mudeford Quay this afternoon ... but only babies/toddlers = no Crabbers :)

wellyboot
8th October 2013, 12:36 PM
I will be interested in your view on the IBIS Brian. If it isn't as good as the E-M5 then I may not go for it!
Have a good afternoon shooting
Marcia

StephenL
8th October 2013, 12:53 PM
I watched the video by the chap at Olympus who developed the revamped IS, and he, obviously, was adamant that it was much improved. More to the point, so was Robin Wong.

Alpha1
8th October 2013, 01:47 PM
I have come to the conclusion that it depends very much on which lens is used. Also it doesn't seem to like sequential shooting unless the anti shock is activated but then you suffer shutter lag!

I havem't tried all of the IBIS settings yet though!*zzz

Ian
8th October 2013, 02:15 PM
I have come to the conclusion that it depends very much on which lens is used. Also it doesn't seem to like sequential shooting unless the anti shock is activated but then you suffer shutter lag!

I havem't tried all of the IBIS settings yet though!*zzz

With all due respect, I find this comment quite surprising and actually not very helpful. I had the camera for several weeks and experienced no problems with sequential shooting and image stabilisation.

If you can provide a detailed description of the issue you are experiencing then maybe we can get the heart of the matter.

Ian

Ian
8th October 2013, 02:24 PM
I'm at the frustrating, "its like the EM-5 but sufficiently different to be annoying" stage at the moment

It appears that the only way I can display the SCP pane is by having the LCD to EVF switch on (at least, that's my reading of the manual and where I have got to with the camera in hand so far)

With the EM-5 I have the LV / EFV switch off but can still see the SCP in the EVF

Can I do this with the EM-1 and if so, how

Help please, I've just wasted 15 minutes of valuable shooting time over this! :confused:

(on another point, I read someone had the feeling the IS wasn't as effective with the EM1 compared to the EM-5, that's my very first impression, but I need to go for a proper shoot this afternoon)

Looking forward to taming this beast - I love to feel of the controls so far, excellent button and dial feel

The Super Control Panel and Live Control Panel are selectable just the same way as on previous models. There are some minor differences in the way the EVF works but I'm not sure they are relevant here.

Menu > Two cogs (Custom Menu) > Disp/Beep/PC > Control Settings

You will then see a list of camera modes:

iAuto
PASM
Art
SCN

Jusr select one of the modes or selections of modes listed and you will then see:

Live Control
Live SCP

and choose if you want one or the other or both to be active.

I prefer the SCP to Live Control, myself.

Ian

brian1208
8th October 2013, 02:40 PM
Thanks Ian, I had cracked that particular problem

With respect to the "Blur / shake problem" (note the parenthesis as I've not yet finished my analysis):

I've just finished roughly processing 700 frames shot on Mudeford Quay, trying out a variety of focusing modes (SAF, CAF, CAF - TR) shooting both static and moving subjects close to and at distance, with the mk1 75-300 on the front.

Comparing my results to a similar shoot with the EM-5, under similar ambient conditions but on another day I am convinced I am seeing significantly more blur with the EM-1

This seems to be most apparent at the lower speeds 1/250th - 1/640th, is not consistent ie: the first in a sequence may be sharp(er) than the rest and single shot SAF appears less blurred than continuous CAF

Static objects (signs and the like) at shorter distance are less blurred / always sharp whereas moving subjects at distance tend to be less sharp / more prone to blur

BUT

I am yet to be convinced that a lot of my observed "Problems" are not because of the lack of the battery grip. I had refined my hand-holding technique with the EM-5 + full grip over a period of a year and it would be daft to expect to get the same level of results in my first hour with an un-gripped EM-1

I must own to a little disappointment though

Chevvyf1
8th October 2013, 03:13 PM
Thanks Ian, I had cracked that particular problem

With respect to the "Blur / shake problem" (note the parenthesis as I've not yet finished my analysis):

I've just finished roughly processing 700 frames shot on Mudeford Quay, trying out a variety of focusing modes (SAF, CAF, CAF - TR) shooting both static and moving subjects close to and at distance, with the mk1 75-300 on the front.

Comparing my results to a similar shoot with the EM-5, under similar ambient conditions but on another day I am convinced I am seeing significantly more blur with the EM-1

This seems to be most apparent at the lower speeds 1/250th - 1/640th, is not consistent ie: the first in a sequence may be sharp(er) than the rest and single shot SAF appears less blurred than continuous CAF

Static objects (signs and the like) at shorter distance are less blurred / always sharp whereas moving subjects at distance tend to be less sharp / more prone to blur

BUT

I am yet to be convinced that a lot of my observed "Problems" are not because of the lack of the battery grip. I had refined my hand-holding technique with the EM-5 + full grip over a period of a year and it would be daft to expect to get the same level of results in my first hour with an un-gripped EM-1

I must own to a little disappointment though

Brian, You WENT TO MUDEFORD QUAY ! TODAY :EEK: :eek: :cool:

I am finding this camera very small ... it needs to be larger - buttons are great ... but its so "Diddy"

But I have printed, "book" style the manual and now itis bound and with laminated front and back cover (no advertising takers yet :rolleyes: )

Ian
8th October 2013, 03:15 PM
Were you using H (High Speed) continuous shooting mode? I wonder if IS works after the first frame in the sequence. I will try to get an answer...

Ian

Alpha1
8th October 2013, 03:25 PM
Brian

This is very similar to my own testing with the 75-300 mkll set at the longer end. At the lower end it was absolutely fine even when using sequential settings or CAF.

So far my trusty old mZuiko 14-150 does not seem to incur the blur problem at any of the settings.

Next job is to try my Panny 100-300 which is a bit faster at both ends to see how this performs with the EM1. It always performed faultlessly on the E-M5.

Ian
I will try to answer you in more detail if required after I have tried out the Panny 100-300 which is larger and heavier than the 75-300 and is the camera that just stayed on one of my E-M5's virtually permanently with the other "riding shotgun" with anything from the 60 macro to the 14-150.

I have concentrated on the 75-300 with the E-M1 as this is the combo I am thinking of taking to Namibia in a few weeks, purely for weight and bulk consideration with an E-M5 for the other lenses. The slower lens wouldn't bother me at all in the African light!

As far as balance is concerned, I have no problem with the E-M1 as I find that the deep built-in grip balances the 75-300 very nicely and my E-M5 only ever had the first part of it's grip attached anyway.

brian1208
8th October 2013, 03:34 PM
Were you using H (High Speed) continuous shooting mode? I wonder if IS works after the first frame in the sequence. I will try to get an answer...

Ian

by default it doesn't but there is an option to set it so that it will (but I believe this reduces the frame rate)