PDA

View Full Version : Using 14-54 II on the E-M1?

Ross the fiddler
7th October 2013, 09:41 PM
When I use the 14-54 II on the E-M5 there is a delay due to the aperture control (besides the slowness of the CDAF) which is longer at the wide end of the lens & less when at the telephoto end, regardless of the aperture setting. As the E-M1 uses PDAF with this lens I would like to know if there is still a delay with the aperture control or if it operates the same as if on a DSLR (E30) with no noticeable delay due to the aperture control. It is specifically this Mk II lens that I would like to know how it performs as I hope (yes, hoping) to get the E-M1 & to use this lens on it (besides others), but to be able to use it without delays that lets any subjects move out of the frame before the exposure has happened.

The best way to see this effect is to take multiple frames at the high rate & take note of the actual frames taken per second at both ends of the zoom. The E-M5 slows down at the wide end & is about 9 fps at the tele end. I am also aware the Panasonic 100-300 lens can't keep up with the 9 fps on the E-M5 either, but it's the slowing at the wide end of the 14-54 II that has me concerned & would like to hear how it behaves on the E-M1.

EDIT: In other words, will the E-M1 do 10 fps with Hi Drive Mode sequential shooting using MF in Manual mode (to eliminate any other factors) at 14mm & 54mm?

Thanks for any feed back.

*chr

bilbo
7th October 2013, 09:55 PM
When I use the 14-54 II on the E-M5 there is a delay due to the aperture control (besides the slowness of the CDAF) which is longer at the wide end of the lens & less when at the telephoto end, regardless of the aperture setting. As the E-M1 uses PDAF with this lens I would like to know if there is still a delay with the aperture control or if it operates the same as if on a DSLR (E30) with no noticeable delay due to the aperture control. It is specifically this Mk II lens that I would like to know how it performs as I hope (yes, hoping) to get the E-M1 & to use this lens on it (besides others), but to be able to use it without delays that lets any subjects move out of the frame before the exposure has happened.

The best way to see this effect is to take multiple frames at the high rate & take note of the actual frames taken per second at both ends of the zoom. The E-M5 slows down at the wide end & is about 9 fps at the tele end. I am also aware the Panasonic 100-300 lens can't keep up with the 9 fps on the E-M5 either, but it's the slowing at the wide end of the 14-54 II that has me concerned & would like to hear how it behaves on the E-M1.

Thanks for any feed back.

*chrJust as soon as I get my E-M1, I'll let you know :)

Ross the fiddler
15th October 2013, 09:28 PM
Has anybody with a 14-54 II lens got their E-M1 yet?

I'm still curious to know if the frame rate (to eliminate other factors use Manual with a high shutter speed & MF) is faster at 14mm than on the E-M5. It should do 10fps on the E-M1 at 54mm but still may be slower at the wide end, but how much slower? This also effects S-AF shots too & this is where it is important to me.

I'm extra curious now that I've pre-ordered an E-M1!

*chr

ozzie
16th October 2013, 12:12 AM
Has anybody with a 14-54 II lens got their E-M1 yet?

I'm still curious to know if the frame rate (to eliminate other factors use Manual with a high shutter speed & MF) is faster at 14mm than on the E-M5. It should do 10fps on the E-M1 at 54mm but still may be slower at the wide end, but how much slower? This also effects S-AF shots too & this is where it is important to me.
I'm extra curious now that I've pre-ordered an E-M1!

*chr

Hi Ross
Where did you preorder . I have ordered mine from PC in Brisbane no delivery date yet did they give you a delivery date
Thanks
John

Ross the fiddler
16th October 2013, 12:49 AM
Hi Ross
Where did you preorder . I have ordered mine from PC in Brisbane no delivery date yet did they give you a delivery date
Thanks
John

Hi John.
I ordered the body only & am 3rd on their waiting list. http://www.cambuy.com.au/olympus-om-d-e-m1-body-only/
Olympus have been saying (read on facebook) that some stock is coming in this week & another batch will come in a little later, but I don't expect to be getting one of the first batch somehow even though the shop had already ordered more. Cambuy (in Rosebery, Sydney) have said the 12-40 kit is popular although I didn't ask him how many of them were ordered. I'm looking forward to this one although the E-M5 will still be around as the 2nd body.

*chr

ozzie
16th October 2013, 02:03 AM
Hi John.
I ordered the body only & am 3rd on their waiting list. http://www.cambuy.com.au/olympus-om-d-e-m1-body-only/
Olympus have been saying (read on facebook) that some stock is coming in this week & another batch will come in a little later, but I don't expect to be getting one of the first batch somehow even though the shop had already ordered more. Cambuy (in Rosebery, Sydney) have said the 12-40 kit is popular although I didn't ask him how many of them were ordered. I'm looking forward to this one although the E-M5 will still be around as the 2nd body.

*chr

I have ordered the 12-40 kit as it will take the place of my broken 12-60.
hope the reviews are right as it sounds like a great camera and what I have been waiting for, to be able to use my large stock of 4/3 lenses as well as m4/3.
cheers
John