PDA

View Full Version : First day observations.

andym
7th October 2013, 01:51 PM
Well it arrived this morning, didn't take as long to set up as when I first had the E-M5 probably cause I'm used to that.
It seems to focus my 12-60 very well, it will hunt a bit(but not always) always seeming to go the wrong way with my Mk1 50-200 but then all my other E series cameras are the same.
The only other lens I've tried is the Bigma and this seems very good, locking probably quicker than on the E5. Also in the limited amount of times I've tried it it seems more consistent then on the E5 ie if I take a series of images of one subject they are all in focus where as with the E5 a few would be just off.
One thing I notice the I think Ian alluded to was if you subject is made of vertical lines it will not focus due to the fact the E-M1 does not have any cross points just vetical points.Something to get used too.
Like the fact I can put Mysets on all the function buttons and also the they lock in ie not having to hold the button when using them and unlock with another push.
Stuck indoors waiting for a furniture delivery so probably won't get out for a real world test until tomorrow.

Love the viewfinder.

Ps just set up the Wi-Fi to my Android, works a treat.

OM USer
9th October 2013, 09:55 AM
Keep the observations coming in. Thanks.

andym
9th October 2013, 11:35 AM
Now I've had it a couple of days I'm getting to know it and like it.

The body is just what I'd expect form a top end Oly and feels more solid than the E-M5,also I get the impression the paint won't go on the edges like the E-M5.
One thing and I'd be interested what other owners think, the card compartment door feels very flimsy and I'm very careful how I open it.Almost feel like it move out of line when opening ie one side will move more than the other if you don't open carefully(hard to explain).

jamsa
9th October 2013, 11:43 AM
Now I've had it a couple of days I'm getting to know it and like it.

The body is just what I'd expect form a top end Oly and feels more solid than the E-M5,also I get the impression the paint won't go on the edges like the E-M5.
One thing and I'd be interested what other owners think, the card compartment door feels very flimsy and I'm very careful how I open it.Almost feel like it move out of line when opening ie one side will move more than the other if you don't open carefully(hard to explain).

Thanks for the info..and warning...I hope that is looked at perhaps re assurance from this forum that its not weak etc...

andym
9th October 2013, 12:41 PM
Here's another one unless I've done something wrong in the set-up.I have the EVF auto switch set to on so it will switch between the viewfinder and the screen but disable the screen with a push of the live-view button so the EVF is enabled by the eye-sensor when I lift the camera.
On the E-M5 when the camera is away from my eye the screen is black so I assume off.
On the E-M1 the screen is is still active ie greyed out but will go off if I put my finger over the eye sensor so I assume it's draining power.
There may be a good reason for this as it's a different type of screen ie an LCD not an OLED or it could be an oversight that could be fixed with a firmware update.

As far as I can see I have both EVF's set the same.

Graham_of_Rainham
9th October 2013, 12:54 PM
All starting to sound far to complicated. I may well go back to film... ;)

Keep sorting this out, as I'm relying on you to work out all the wrinkles before I get one.

*chr

andym
9th October 2013, 12:59 PM
All starting to sound far to complicated. I may well go back to film... ;)

*chr

Just think of all those horrible chemicals though, sorry I forgot you like that sort of thing;););)

Ian
9th October 2013, 02:44 PM
Here's another one unless I've done something wrong in the set-up.I have the EVF auto switch set to on so it will switch between the viewfinder and the screen but disable the screen with a push of the live-view button so the EVF is enabled by the eye-sensor when I lift the camera.
On the E-M5 when the camera is away from my eye the screen is black so I assume off.
On the E-M1 the screen is is still active ie greyed out but will go off if I put my finger over the eye sensor so I assume it's draining power.
There may be a good reason for this as it's a different type of screen ie an LCD not an OLED or it could be an oversight that could be fixed with a firmware update.

As far as I can see I have both EVF's set the same.

I don't have an official answer but the OLED will go completely black because it is an emissive screen (there is no back-light) rather than a transmissive screen which is how LCD works.

There may be a reason for keeping the back-light on - I will try to find out.

Ian

andym
10th October 2013, 10:07 AM
Another, the default file name is set to reset, I wondered why I kept getting duplicate file names after I had reformated the card.I think on all my other cameras the default is auto.
Changed it now and all should be OK.*yes*yes*yes

Phill D
10th October 2013, 05:48 PM
Ah that's why I seemed to get duplicate image numbers on images on different cards. Now to find out how to stop it doing it:confused:

andym
10th October 2013, 06:00 PM
Ah that's why I seemed to get duplicate image numbers on images on different cards. Now to find out how to stop it doing it:confused:

Phill

Cog H file name set it to auto.