PDA

View Full Version : Test image with my new EM1

Alpha1
5th October 2013, 01:11 PM
Just testing the EM1 with the usual boring test stuff; brick walls, small print on external alarm boxes and house name plaques etc all with the 75-300 in the vain hope of a BIF shot! I then spotted this old fungus growing out of my lawn, it is completely the wrong lens to use, but it looks OK as a test shot?

It is a Coprinus Comatus or "Judges Wig" I think.

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Coprinus_comatus_Oly.jpg

Chevvyf1
5th October 2013, 01:15 PM
Just testing the EM1 with the usual boring test stuff; brick walls, small print on external alarm boxes and house name plaques etc all with the 75-300 in the vain hope of a BIF shot! I then spotted this old fungus growing out of my lawn, it is completely the wrong lens to use, but it loos OK as a test shot?

It is a Coprinus Comatus or "Judges Wig" I think.

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Coprinus_comatus_Oly.jpg

Its LURVE ! pure and SIMPLE LURVE :D I have NEVER SEEN such Iq as this camera presents - I thought the E-5 was the Mutts Nutts but this is something else !

Lurve your image :)

dogsbody
5th October 2013, 01:23 PM
That is so sharp, did you use any additional lighting? any editing or straight out the camera?

StephenL
5th October 2013, 01:50 PM
That's a nice clear image. I am equally as impressed with that lens.

bredman
5th October 2013, 01:55 PM
Nice shot. Commonly known as the shaggy ink cap. Perfectly edible before they start producing the ink.

George Dorn
5th October 2013, 02:58 PM
Nice one! Please let us know how you find the E-M1 when you are used to it.

Alpha1
5th October 2013, 03:31 PM
That is so sharp, did you use any additional lighting? any editing or straight out the camera?

Hi dogsbody
No just resizing the jpeg from the camera.
S-AF with spot focus, standard AF square not reduced in any way.

I usually process from RAW, but the JPEG did a great job with auto ISO and auto WB but using A setting on the dial!

Chevvyf1
5th October 2013, 05:28 PM
Hi dogsbody

I usually process from RAW, but the JPEG did a great job with auto ISO and auto WB but using A setting on the dial!

As I said earlier " the ONE is MAGIC "

Grumpy Hec
5th October 2013, 05:56 PM
Very good IQ.

The specular highlights are great but that could be more to do with the lighting of course.

Thanks for posting.

cheers

hec

dogsbody
5th October 2013, 05:56 PM
Hi dogsbody

Well not sure what to say about that apart from a huge :D
I just cannot wait to get mine!

bassman
5th October 2013, 06:00 PM
That's very impressive. I have the same lens, just waiting for the other little bit !

Alpha1
6th October 2013, 09:18 AM
Very good IQ.

The specular highlights are great but that could be more to do with the lighting of course.

Thanks for posting.

cheers

hec

I quite liked the specular highlights, which were drops of dew on the grass and what amazed me when I first saw the image on my 27" screen was that the dew drops were blue where the early low rays of sun light picked them up but clear on the right hand side which was still in semi shade!

The Fungi no longer exists as I cut the grass within hours of taking the shot but they were almost over when I made the picture.

An advantage of using a long telephoto lens for this shot was that I was able to keep out of the shadow area, whereas with my 60mm macro I would have had to get much closer and consequently spoil the natural light falling on the fungi. It also gave me a narrower depth of field, throwing the "Judges Wig" forward from it's background.

Zuiko
6th October 2013, 09:43 AM
Why was it the wrong lens, Dave? It seems to have rendered the fungus beautifully. :)

Alpha1
6th October 2013, 09:46 AM
Hi Zuiko

It is not a lens that I would usually use when deliberately looking for fungi! No more or less than that really, but in this more open space it worked to my advantage.......you have to get some luck sometimes!!

The EM1 is a really great camera to use though.

Chevvyf1
6th October 2013, 10:50 AM
I quite liked the specular highlights, which were drops of dew on the grass and what amazed me when I first saw the image on my 27" screen was that the dew drops were blue where the early low rays of sun light picked them up but clear on the right hand side which was still in semi shade!
An advantage of using a long telephoto lens for this shot was that I was able to keep out of the shadow area, whereas with my 60mm macro I would have had to get much closer and consequently spoil the natural light falling on the fungi. It also gave me a narrower depth of field, throwing the "Judges Wig" forward from it's background.

Dave, I was so VERY impressed with the E-5 eeking that bit more out of the 4/3 lenses but this camera and lenses are blowing me away !

OM USer
6th October 2013, 03:53 PM
A very nice shot indeed.