PDA

View Full Version : EM-1 Remote control wfi app

robes
5th October 2013, 11:57 AM
Has anyone got this to work?

I can connect using the Olympus Image Share app & download images to iphone, but the remote control doesn't work
Tryting to upload error screen. "App needs updating"

drmarkf
5th October 2013, 05:02 PM
Hmmmmm.
I get as far as the app on my iPad reading the barcode and installing the camera profile, but then every time I try to connect to the camera to see and download images I get an 'unable to find wifi enabled Olympus camera' message (or similar). It then dumps me back to re-reading the barcode. I can't seem to find any more detailed instructions.
The app works OK with, for example, images already installed on the tablet.
I'm probably doing something daft, but I can't work out what it is...

jamsa
5th October 2013, 05:38 PM
I seem to recall reading very recently that the Apple software needed updating before it was 100%...

robes
5th October 2013, 06:04 PM
Maybe need to be sure you are not connected to another network. I was connected to the home network first time I tried you can only connect to the camera's network if you ask the iphone to in settings. It won't disconnect form the other network automiatically.

StephenL
5th October 2013, 06:21 PM
So for the initial connection it might be an idea to move out of range of your home router? I suppose this is the situation it was designed for?

drmarkf
5th October 2013, 06:42 PM
Thanks - i'll give that a go.

Graham_of_Rainham
5th October 2013, 07:12 PM
When I switch on the WiFi in my camera, I have to select it with the Settings in the iPhone, before I run the app.

*chr

StephenL
5th October 2013, 07:14 PM
When I switch on the WiFi in my camera, I have to select it with the Settings in the iPhone, before I run the app.

*chr
That sounds sensible. *yes

Davecollins
6th October 2013, 07:30 AM
I seem to recall reading very recently that the Apple software needed updating before it was 100%...

I have tried this on my ipad and iPhone, it will not work until the updated app is released ( I understand this will be soon)

I also have a Sony phone and it works fine on this, very easy to use and quite good fun to !

Graham_of_Rainham
6th October 2013, 09:03 AM
It is such a pity that the new system has not included the provision to use the camera as normal and simply transfer the images to a connected device as they are taken. :cool:

This was available on the Studio software and some E-System cameras and was very useful.

Hopefully they will release a new Olympus Viewer that has this exceptionally valuable capability for "Pro" users.

StephenL
6th October 2013, 09:58 AM
The iPad app which Ian and I were playing with was a beta version. But I think the Android version was a finished article. No doubt the delay is down to the app not yet passing Apple's testing criteria for inclusion on their "store".

Ross the fiddler
6th October 2013, 10:34 AM
It is such a pity that the new system has not included the provision to use the camera as normal and simply transfer the images to a connected device as they are taken. :cool:

This was available on the Studio software and some E-System cameras and was very useful.

Hopefully they will release a new Olympus Viewer that has this exceptionally valuable capability for "Pro" users.

To work as a Win8 App would be good too.

Grumpy Hec
6th October 2013, 06:11 PM
To work as a Win8 App would be good too.

I suspect that will be a wait. Sadly that OS suffers from major lack of support from all manner of banks and companies.

Hec

drmarkf
6th October 2013, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the help so far - I've now got to the stage with everyone else of waiting for the app update...

:o

StephenL
7th October 2013, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the help so far - I've now got to the stage with everyone else of waiting for the app update...

:o

Wait no longer! The iPad/Phone version has now been updated. Now I just need the camera ....

timd1230
7th October 2013, 03:14 PM
Robin Wong has posted a video on using the wifi

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Wi-Fi Feature Demo - YouTube

StephenL
7th October 2013, 03:22 PM
As long as it doesn't play music!

timd1230
7th October 2013, 08:44 PM
I tested it out tonight and works really well - on an iPad get a really good view and scared the hell out of my 17 year old son when I triggered it in a burst as he approached the camera and I was across the room - If your stuck I can probably help

drmarkf
8th October 2013, 07:18 AM
After the update, camera and iPad seem to be talking to each other, but I just get 'No photos' displayed when I click on Import Photos in the app.
There are orfs on the card, and wifi is on in the camera.

Any thoughts would be most welcome...

mcwill
8th October 2013, 07:22 AM
Mark,

I believe the app can only import jpegs not raws.

drmarkf
8th October 2013, 08:40 AM
Yeah, I did wonder that, but had to nip out this morning before I had time to test it (nice if they told you that in the app, though...).

So, it makes it useful but not ideal (e.g. for image tweaking while travelling, rather than definitive editing), but one has to save images as raw + jpeg, which is a pain for fast shooting and filling cards. SnapSeed on the iPad is surprisingly good, and it would be brilliant if raws could be supported.

Many thanks for the help.

StephenL
8th October 2013, 10:18 AM
In fairness, it would tie up the camera for quite a while downloading raw files over wi-fi, as it probably wouldn't do it in the background.