PDA

View Full Version : Any update on delivery please?

paullus
5th October 2013, 09:13 AM
I am desperately trying not to become impatient over the wait for my E-M1 + 12-40 kit. But because people are now getting their E-M1's and I have a holiday in Lanzarote booked in mid-November I'm starting to twitch.
Does anyone know what the problem with the 12-40 lens is and what is the latest on delivery dates?
Cheers,
Steve

DavyG
5th October 2013, 09:21 AM
I am desperately trying not to become impatient over the wait for my E-M1 + 12-40 kit. But because people are now getting their E-M1's and I have a holiday in Lanzarote booked in mid-November I'm starting to twitch.
Does anyone know what the problem with the 12-40 lens is and what is the latest on delivery dates?
Cheers,
Steve

I spoke with Dave Collins of LCE Colchester on Thursday and asked the same question as I have an E-M1/12-40 kit on order with him.

Dave told me that they expect to take delivery of the 12-40 kits at the beginning of November.

Bearing in mind that we were told the E-M1 bodies wouldn't be available until mid October and they're here now, I'm hopeful the 12-40 kits will start appearing towards the end of October.

I hope this helps.

Dave

jamsa
5th October 2013, 09:24 AM
I wish Olympus would just have said what LCE did to make some of us less worried about timescales etc.... ;-)

raichea
5th October 2013, 10:48 AM
Cheers,
Steve
I've not heard anything about a problem with the 12-40 lens... this must be how rumours start! I imagine Olympus originally planned to have all of the parts available on the same day, but launching a product is incredibly difficult and it seems that either the body was ready slightly earlier than the Pro lens or, more likely, the schedule for the lens slipped. This happens all the time in product development.

Although not widely broadcast, there was information about the likely delivery dates available, but with a product launch, and unknown demand on annoucement, they're an estimate at best. I am as impatient as the next person, but pre-ordering is has to be something of a risk, at least in terms of delivery timing. I've never pre-ordered before, but I don't think I'd bank on having something in my hands in time for a special event.

In the case of the E-M1, the demand seems to have exceeded Olympus's ability to produce product... again quite common in any product development situation, and much preferable to having something that no-one wants sat on the shelves.

There will be some who decide to cancel because they just can't/don't want to wait and Olympus will want to minimise that number. If I were the product manager, I'd now be doing everything I could to ramp up production to ensure that no-one has to wait too long, and I'm sure that's what's happening.

My only criticism is the lack of information on the Olympus on-line shop... no order status apart from the fact the order is placed. My account has been debited, too, which seems odd if there's still a month or more to wait - Olympus really should be giving more in terms of order status.

That's my 2-penn'orth anyway! Steve.

KEITHHOWES
5th October 2013, 10:59 AM
On Park Cameras website they say E-M1/12-50 kit due week comencing 30th September, this week.
Regards,
Keith

paullus
5th October 2013, 12:28 PM
Hi raichea.
No chance of cancelling I've been waiting for the new camera for months.
I was sure I'd read somewhere that there was a glitch with the 12-40 but maybe I dreamt it.*yes

Interestingly my card was debited for the full amount on 30th September. Maybe they need the cash up front to pay the overtime at the production plant:rolleyes:.

Hi KEITHHOWES.
I don't think there's a delay with the 12-50 but there is with the 12-40.
Cheers,
Steve

jamsa
5th October 2013, 12:36 PM
In which case I still think that the body could be shipped and the lens later fortthose that wish so long as it is ppretty ordered and orchard for...

raichea
5th October 2013, 01:46 PM
Hi raichea.
No chance of cancelling I've been waiting for the new camera for months.
I was sure I'd read somewhere that there was a glitch with the 12-40 but maybe I dreamt it.*yes

Interestingly my card was debited for the full amount on 30th September. Maybe they need the cash up front to pay the overtime at the production plant.

I've been waiting for the "E-7" for a long time, too. In fact, just prior to the E-M1 news breaking (in August?), I was beginning to contemplate switching away from Olympus altogether, but having played with the E-M1 at Ian's event, I was sold. Just hoping that m43 doesn't go down the same route 4/3 did! At least this way, I can control the speed of the switch from 4/3 to m43... with Canon/Nikon it would have been all at once. I do like the reduction in bulk compared with C/N, too - the DSLRs were pretty good in that respect, but the E-M1/m43 lenses improve on that.

I have the 4/3 12-60 so I could have gone body only, but I decided the 12-40 as a native m43 with fixed max aperture and the effective price reduction via the bundle was a sufficient draw. But, even if Olympus's cash flow needs a boost, it's a bit off debiting that kind of amount if we're not going to see any deliveries for another 4 or 5 weeks.

Steve

jamsa
5th October 2013, 02:17 PM
I don't know if there is legislation regarding charging accounts or cards without delivery within a specific time scale but this might cover it...
Consumers are also protected by The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000. These help by giving consumers:The right to receive clear and comprehensive information about the goods or service before deciding to buy, including the supplier's name, the price including taxes, delivery costs and arrangements and how you can pay.You must also be told that you have the right to cancel.When you have placed an order you should get written confirmation of this information - fax, email or letter. This should also include information about how you can cancel the order and by when. Consumers have 7 days from the date of delivery to change their minds and return the goods.The seller must deliver the goods or services within 30 days unless you agree something else. If this doesn't happen you must be refunded within 30 days.

paullus
5th October 2013, 02:45 PM
I have the 4/3 12-60 so I could have gone body only, but I decided the 12-40 as a native m43 with fixed max aperture and the effective price reduction via the bundle was a sufficient draw. But, even if Olympus's cash flow needs a boost, it's a bit off debiting that kind of amount if we're not going to see any deliveries for another 4 or 5 weeks.

Steve

Ditto the 12-60 and the reason for going for the 12-40.
I was trying to be funny when I mentioned the overtime. I would be very very worried if Oly's cash flow was that tight:eek:
I'm going to be extremely optimistic and hope that the debiting of my account signals the arrival of my order sooner rather than later.
Fingers firmly crossed as I patiently wait.

Steve

raichea
5th October 2013, 03:09 PM
I don't know if there is legislation regarding charging accounts or cards without delivery within a specific time scale but this might cover it...

I'm not that close to looking for legal redress just yet. If we get to Christmas and are still waiting.... :)

Ditto the 12-60 and the reason for going for the 12-40.
I was trying to be funny when I mentioned the overtime. I would be very very worried if Oly's cash flow was that tight:eek:
I'm going to be extremely optimistic and hope that the debiting of my account signals the arrival of my order sooner rather than later.
Fingers firmly crossed as I patiently wait.

Steve
I with you on both counts....

Steve

DavyG
5th October 2013, 03:16 PM
Having posted earlier today that I'd ordered an E-M1 12-40 kit, I decided to take a trip to LCE Colchester.

Dave Collins had told me that he had a 12-50 kit which he'd put aside for me on Thursday however, I confirmed that I would wait for the 12-40 kit to arrive,

When I arrived at LCE today, Dave hadn't gotten round to contacting the next person on the waiting list and still had the 12-50 kit, temptation got the better of me and I bought it, I'll buy a 12-40 lens when they become available.

I'm now waiting for the battery to charge and I'm looking forward to playing with my new toy! :-)

For anyone keen to get their hands on an E-M1, I understand Dave has another 19 on order and due in soon, it may be worth giving LCE Colchester a call, I've found them to be excellent to deal with.

Dave

raichea
7th October 2013, 02:26 PM
Due to the fact that my account had been debited on 30 Sept. I asked the Olympus shop for an order update. I received a form email in reply. Looks like 12-40 orders are November at the earliest. No comment at all about debiting before shipping, even though I did ask.... suggest any 12-40 order holders (with the Oly shop, at least) don't hold their breath....

"Dear friends of Olympus,

you will be happy to know that the first quantities of the new Olympus OM-D will become available beginning of next week. This means that we will ship out the first E-M1 bodies as well as the E-M1 1250mm kit. The 12-40mm kit will become available in November. All items will be shipped to you via express.
Unfortunately, quantities are highly limited at the moment and were immediately sold out due to high demand. Thus we won`t be able to fulfill all pre-order requests right at the sales start. We are now working hard to get as many quantities as possible during the next 3 weeks and we will notify you personally upon their availability."

Steve

paullus
7th October 2013, 02:38 PM
Due to the fact that my account had been debited on 30 Sept. I asked the Olympus shop for an order update. I received a form email in reply. Looks like 12-40 orders are November at the earliest. No comment at all about debiting before shipping, even though I did ask.... suggest any 12-40 order holders (with the Oly shop, at least) don't hold their breath....

"Dear friends of Olympus,

you will be happy to know that the first quantities of the new Olympus OM-D will become available beginning of next week. This means that we will ship out the first E-M1 bodies as well as the E-M1 1250mm kit. The 12-40mm kit will become available in November. All items will be shipped to you via express.
Unfortunately, quantities are highly limited at the moment and were immediately sold out due to high demand. Thus we won`t be able to fulfill all pre-order requests right at the sales start. We are now working hard to get as many quantities as possible during the next 3 weeks and we will notify you personally upon their availability."

Steve

Hi Steve.
Ditto again. I was actually just on the phone to Olympus support with the same enquiry when I found the same message from them in my Spam folder.
The guy on the phone did say a couple of weeks but as you say, I won't be holding my breath.

Steve.

StephenL
7th October 2013, 02:51 PM
Spare a thought for the dealers. Most of us are only awaiting one camera. SRS (and many other dealers, I suspect) were promised a delivery of several cameras on Friday. They've still not turned up. As frustrating for them as it is for us.

timd1230
7th October 2013, 03:05 PM
Would like to echo Daves comments above Dave Collins at LCE colchester kept me well informed and delivered more than I expected in terms of notifications and end product.

Grumpy Hec
7th October 2013, 03:22 PM
Spare a thought for the dealers. Most of us are only awaiting one camera. SRS (and many other dealers, I suspect) were promised a delivery of several cameras on Friday. They've still not turned up. As frustrating for them as it is for us.

Good point. At least the delay to me and others in a similar situation in the majority is cases is one of inconvenience. It's not my business that's impacted.

A valid reality check

Hec

jamsa
7th October 2013, 04:17 PM
Good point. At least the delay to me and others in a similar situation in the majority is cases is one of inconvenience. It's not my business that's impacted.

A valid reality check

Hec

It is true that dealers as may also come a cropper on distant selling regs and are also possibly frustrated with broken promises.

I will not wait for the body 12-40 kit, I will take just the body or 12-50 kit now and make do with other lenses....!! OR switch to Nikon...looking at alternatives this evening!!:(

paullus
7th October 2013, 06:43 PM
Olympus have plainly underestimated demand for their new flagship and the brand loyalty that exists Worldwide. Personally I think it's brilliant that the camera is such an instant success! MFT is a niche market but the E-M1 could be the springboard Olympus needs to get them back into the mainstream.
Me, I'm savouring the delay for the 12/40 kit because it will make ownership so much more exquisite. I'll just have to make do with my beloved E-5 or the wife's Nikon D7000 in the meantime. Having said that I might choose my old Oly C-750 UltraZoom or Sony Cybershot before going for the Nikon;)

Steve*chr

IainMacD
7th October 2013, 06:55 PM
When I was at Ffordes for the E-M1 demo day the Olympus rep (forgotten his name) said the 12-40mm lenses in the currently in the country were all hand finished as Olympus were ironing out teething problems with the manufacturing process.
It doesn't make the situation any clearer, but does indicate where/how rumours begin.

catkins
7th October 2013, 09:47 PM
Don't know why, but I was always under the impression that the 12-40mm kit was going to be a November delivery, so I'm enjoying the R&R before the November storm of testing, experimenting, playing and manual reading!!
In the meantime, I'll enjoy seeing the first crop of E-M1 created images, learn how others have adapted to the camera, read what settings seem to work best and generally let the lucky early users do some of the learning legwork for me - any teething problems hopefully will then also be sorted out for us 'unlucky' late receivers!!
Olympus have made a few mistakes perhaps in under-estimating the interest, but they do seem to be learning abut the importance of keeping us informed now, so I'm happy enough with the E-M1 supply process and will look on the bright side - it looks to be a good kit that we'll be receiving in November and by Christmas hopefully, like a lovers tiff, all will be forgiven and forgotten.

Regards
Chris

Pierre L
7th October 2013, 09:58 PM
"November delivery" is what the Park Cameras web site says about the E-M1 with 12-40mm kit that I have pre-ordered.

raichea
7th October 2013, 10:00 PM
...., so I'm enjoying the R&R before the November storm of testing, experimenting, playing and manual reading!!

Don't waste any time... you can start reading now!

http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/oima_cckb/E-M1_MANUAL_EN.pdf

Steve

Olybirder
7th October 2013, 10:19 PM
On the WEX site it now says 'stock due late October 2013' for the body only. That sounds reasonably believable.

Ron

catkins
7th October 2013, 10:30 PM
Don't waste any time... you can start reading now!

http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/oima_cckb/E-M1_MANUAL_EN.pdf

Steve

Downloaded but deliberately not read so I can really enjoy manic November! *chr

Regards
Chris

hotbath1962
8th October 2013, 07:40 AM
I queried why my payment for the full kit was taken on 30th Sept and asked for an update on delivery. I have just received an email from Olympus EU to say that the 12-40 kit inc MMF-3 and HLD-7 is on its way next week. Fingers crossed!

**Just have received a second email correcting their earlier one to say that delivery will now be the first week in November.**

jamsa
8th October 2013, 01:18 PM
I queried why my payment for the full kit was taken on 30th Sept and asked for an update on delivery. I have just received an email from Olympus EU to say that the 12-40 kit inc MMF-3 and HLD-7 is on its way next week. Fingers crossed!

**Just have received a second email correcting their earlier one to say that delivery will now be the first week in November.**

No wonder there is confusion...if even they don't get it right...lol

bilbo
8th October 2013, 01:23 PM
No wonder there is confusion...if even they don't get it right...lol
In the emails sent out yesterday they said that the 12-40 kits would be November deliveries.

Ian
8th October 2013, 02:30 PM
In the emails sent out yesterday they said that the 12-40 kits would be November deliveries.

Olympus said to me from day one that 12-40 lenses won't be available until November. That's what I have relayed here several times. If there are no lenses until then obviously kits including the lenses won't be available until at least that time, too. Anyone advising a more optimistic timetable was basically wrong.

Ian