PDA

View Full Version : Non Olympus Lenses on E-m1

blu-by-u
4th October 2013, 04:39 AM
Just wondering. When I was at the launch of the E-m1, the spokesperson mention that Olympus 4/3 lenses will be optimised for performance on the E-m1.

I still own the Lumix 14-150, Lumix 25, Sigma 18-50/2.8 and Sigma 135-400. When these mentioned lenses are mounted on the E-m5, they are very slow in AF. Will it remain the same, ie slow AF?

At the launch, I tested the Lumix 14-150, the color came out really funny on the preview. I was not allowed to use my own SD and the PIC said it could be an ART filter was enabled. :eek:

David Morison
4th October 2013, 05:42 AM
I've tested my Leica 14-150mm on the E-M1 with my own card in and it works perfectly - fast, accurate AF even on very poorly lit subjects. My ED 7-14 mm also AFs very fast whereas I struggled to get it to AF confirm at all on the E-M5.

David

blu-by-u
4th October 2013, 05:48 AM
Now that's good news.

benvendetta
4th October 2013, 06:12 AM
I am sure that if there were any issues with non Olympus 43rds lenses, we would have heard about them before now.

photo_owl
4th October 2013, 09:49 AM
I am sure that if there were any issues with non Olympus 43rds lenses, we would have heard about them before now.

talking to Mark T the real problem in this area came over as how to represent AF performance, and 'relative to what?'

For example, the 50-200/2.8-3.5 will work fine on it, but the motor limitations will kick in in some situations with the early model, whilst the SWD one will be faster.

Most of us have tried a wide range of lenses in various guises and modes on a range of 4/3 and m4/3 bodies - anyone remember the threads on LV AF and lenses when the E30 came out? (and I don't mean the mode/cycle discussions!)

Then, with the E-M1, you have the added 'complication' of which AF mode (PD/CD) and for what subject in what light using which focus point or focus engine eg FD etc

I will admit to being surprised at the performance of the 35-100 in the lighting conditions, and the 12-60 actually seemed faster than on the E3 or E30 (which at the time they were launched were marketed as the worlds fastest AF system!).

Basically, we have moved so far from the days of 4/3 glass via an adapter on early Pen's that my personal expectations are that E and Pen users will see equivilent or better AF performance - in this relative statement I can't speak for the m43 Panny body users because I never used one and most forum discussions suggested they were better with the Panny m43 glass than the Oly's at that time; but my 'logical' expectations would be high.

I'm definitely looking forward to playing with the S 30 1.4 and E-M1 though!

Ian
4th October 2013, 10:17 AM
Olympus has profiled all their Four Thirds (and Micro Four Thirds) lenses for chromatic aberration correction and in-camera sharpening optimisation for the E-M1, but not third party lenses. I had originally thought that distortion would also be corrected but that isn't the case.

Ian

photo_owl
4th October 2013, 10:49 AM
Olympus has profiled all their Four Thirds (and Micro Four Thirds) lenses for chromatic aberration correction and in-camera sharpening optimisation for the E-M1, but not third party lenses. I had originally thought that distortion would also be corrected but that isn't the case.

Ian

given the camera's ability to shoot RAW, then process the files in camera to a remarkable degree to produce ooc jpeg files (all basic JPEG settings, aspect ratio, file compression and Art filters, overlay and a few basic's like red eye, this seems a little bit of an omission?

is it a supported function in the provided PC software?

Ian
4th October 2013, 10:57 AM
given the camera's ability to shoot RAW, then process the files in camera to a remarkable degree to produce ooc jpeg files (all basic JPEG settings, aspect ratio, file compression and Art filters, overlay and a few basic's like red eye, this seems a little bit of an omission?

is it a supported function in the provided PC software?

Do you mean the distortion correction for Four Thirds lenses?

There could be several reasons why Olympus has left this. I will try to find out but here are some suggestions:

1. Some resolution is lost when correcting distortion
2. Lenses may need to be have been specifically designed to be corrected in software for distortion for best results (perhaps projecting a larger image circle, for example)
3. Olympus Four Thirds lenses, especially higher specification ones, are designed to minimise distortion so Olympus may think is unnecessary.

There could be other reasons...

Ian