PDA

View Full Version : Will Lightroom 4 support the E-M1?

wellyboot
3rd October 2013, 04:26 PM
Just a quick question that I can't seem to find the answer to on Google!
Will there be support for the E-M1 on Lightroom 4, or will it be necessary to upgrade to Lightroom 5?
Many thanks

Graham_of_Rainham
3rd October 2013, 04:49 PM
No - Sorry the answer is: Here (http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html)

wellyboot
3rd October 2013, 05:28 PM
No - Sorry the answer is: Here (http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html)

Thank you for letting me know! More expense on top of the camera!! :eek:

PeterBirder
3rd October 2013, 06:52 PM

I followed the link you gave and it shows " E-M1*" between E620 and E-P1.

The key at the bottom of the page says: " * Preliminary support". From this I would deduce that it will be fully supported but they haven't yet fully analysed the E-M1 ORF files.

Regards.*chr

cliff
3rd October 2013, 09:48 PM
I followed the link you gave and it shows " E-M1*" between E620 and E-P1.

The key at the bottom of the page says: " * Preliminary support". From this I would deduce that it will be fully supported but they haven't yet fully analysed the E-M1 ORF files.

Regards.*chr

I think it's also saying minimum version required is 5.2 :(

PeterBirder
3rd October 2013, 11:07 PM
I think it's also saying minimum version required is 5.2 :(

Oops missed that bit.:o

Grumpy Hec
4th October 2013, 06:51 AM
This is consistent with the way Adobe have always supported new cameras.

They basically stick to a timeline. If a new camera comes out after a new major release of ACR then it is supported in the newer version only via a minor update and not previous major versions.

Hope that makes sense

Cheers

hec

Turek
4th October 2013, 08:17 AM
I think you just need to wait for Camera Raw update and it should be fine. I use PS CS2 with latest Camera Raw and got covered latest RAW files..

Otto
4th October 2013, 08:48 AM
Turek - I thought the latest version of ACR always required the latest version of Photoshop? I use CS4 and would like to be able to use ACR with my E-M5 but that requires ACR 6.7 whereas CS4 only lets me update to ACR 5.7. The Adobe web site says ACR 6.7 requires CS5 or later.

Edit: found the Adobe DNG converter (http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows) which supports the E-M5, so I can now use ACR on the converted files. Result: happy bunny :).

OlyPaul
4th October 2013, 09:15 AM
Turek - I thought the latest version of ACR always required the latest version of Photoshop? I use CS4 and would like to be able to use ACR with my E-M5 but that requires ACR 6.7 whereas CS4 only lets me update to ACR 5.7. The Adobe web site says ACR 6.7 requires CS5 or later.

It does Turek is probably using Adobe DNG, in which case ACR from any Photoshop version will open any camera DNG file.

Example if you comvert the E-M1 orf file to Adobe raw (DNG) you would be able to open it in CS2.

Otto
4th October 2013, 09:34 AM
Paul - you must have posted at the same time I was editing :). Yes, the free DNG converter seems to be the way to go for those of us happy with older versions of PS/LR.

Turek
4th October 2013, 09:44 AM
Well sorry guys to make a confusion here, what Otto said is completely right.
I thought I was using latest ACR on my CS2 but it's not, it's just latest one I could have on that version.

Ian
4th October 2013, 10:37 AM
Well sorry guys to make a confusion here, what Otto said is completely right.
I thought I was using latest ACR on my CS2 but it's not, it's just latest one I could have on that version.

The work around is to download the latest version of Adobe DNG Converter (which is free) and this has a batch conversion function for making DNG RAW versions of your proprietary RAW files that can be used in earlier versions of Photoshop (like CS2) and Lightroom, plus other brand programs.

It's not a perfect solution because the RAW conversion tools in PS CS2, for example, are not as good as those in later versions of Photohop (or to be more correct, Adobe Camera RAW) or Lightroom, etc.

One good example is that fact that the E-M1 has no anti-aliasing filter. You need special algorithms to deal with the threat of moiré in this case and these are not present in earlier RAW converters. In fact I used to get really bad moiré problems in PS CS2 anyway! :)

My advice is to get an up to date program, like Lightroom 5, and use that to do your RAW conversion and then use your old version of PS for editing tasks that LR can't do (layers, fine selections, etc.)

Ian