PDA

View Full Version : just got e5

chunky
2nd October 2013, 10:02 PM
hi all iv just got e5 just wondering if anyone has tips in the best setup for the e5
i use e600 with 5 len 25mm -35 mm macro up to stander up 70- 300 *yes

Ian
3rd October 2013, 09:24 AM
Hi and congratulations in getting an E-5, it's a very capable camera!

Can I just give you some friendly advice, though. You will probably get more response if you wrote normal text in your forum posts... I honestly can't understand half of what you're saying in your post here :)

Ian

chunky
3rd October 2013, 09:06 PM
sorry :( i was trying to say
i have just got E5
with that i have 5 lenses and they are 25m pancake & 35m micro& 12-54
40-150 70-300
i would like to know is there some tips on anything getting use to setup on the camera need to know and if anything on the best lens to get next for it :o

IainMacD
3rd October 2013, 09:22 PM
David Busch's Olympus E-5 Guide to Digital SLR Photography: Amazon.co.uk: David Busch, Dan Simon: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51zEe4DET%2BL.@@AMEPARAM@@51zEe4DET%2BL is a step up from the manual for getting the most out of your E-5

IainMacD
3rd October 2013, 09:26 PM
...if anything on the best lens to get next for it :o

What sort of pictures do you take? An idea of your 'style' would help us advise you better.

chunky
3rd October 2013, 10:43 PM
A bit allsort landscape like up in Scotland I wildlife like deer bird and I try my hand oil in water drops I watching drag racing bits hope that help I'm away for two weeks in south Wales so Il be given trying out some setting :o

StephenL
4th October 2013, 06:42 AM
Best advice would be to play with the camera yourself. Try all the settings. You won't break anything. Don't buy any more lenses till you have decided you are missing something.

theMusicMan
4th October 2013, 07:15 AM
A bit allsort landscape like up in Scotland I wildlife like deer bird and I try my hand oil in water drops I watching drag racing bits hope that help I'm away for two weeks in south Wales so Il be given trying out some setting :o

Oooh, where are you planning on going? Is this a photo trip? Do you know the area? Do you have transport? When are you here?

If you let me know in here what sort of shots you like to take, I can advise on the best places to go.

How's that?

John

chunky
4th October 2013, 07:16 AM
Thank you for advice :-)

chunky
4th October 2013, 07:35 AM
Hi John down around penbrokshire i have campervan so can go where i like free bird i know Wales well use to live in north Wales I'm not really planning where and when sometimes if the weather bad:-)Robert

IainMacD
5th October 2013, 08:21 AM
The 12-60 and 50-200 would be great to aim for, then add in the 50 macro and possibly the 1.4 tele-converter and you have, in my mind, the ideal (in E-5 terms) all weather kit.

chunky
5th October 2013, 08:35 AM
hi again forgot to say i have got the extension tube ex 25 but finding it hard to use :o

IainMacD
5th October 2013, 09:47 AM
I'm not sure which lens you,re using it with, but it does need a bit of practice. If you are using it with the 35 then the front of the lens will need to be virtually touching the subject, try it on the 70-300 at different focal lengths and move the camera or zoom to achieve focus.

chunky
5th October 2013, 11:17 AM
Mmr I have tryed with all lens its focus side maybe not understandings how it works iv just got it back out the box il try it again :o

chunky
29th May 2016, 11:56 PM
*chr Hi all iv now got 12-60 swd lens & 50-200 swd lens *chr *yes

Ross the fiddler
30th May 2016, 12:09 AM
*chr Hi all iv now got 12-60 swd lens & 50-200 swd lens *chr *yes

They should serve you well then. *yes I would have loved to have had both while I was using my E-30 & only bought the 50-200 SWD lens last year after my daughters wedding where the E-30 was used by a friend & that lens would have made a great difference at the time but I got it primarily to use it on my E-M1 (with an adapter) & have recently added the 12-60 SWD lens as well. At least the purchasing prices are much better than 'new' now.

*chr

katran
30th May 2016, 06:40 AM
Great !
You need to get EC-14 then you have a complete PRO kit which can cover all needs: landscape, macro, wildlife, sport...etc.

I am using the same system now, except the TC. I have EC-20 instead of EC-14.
E-5 is in deed a very performant camera.

Imageryone
30th May 2016, 08:09 AM
Try the Ex-25 with the 50-200mm, and here is how to start.
Turn the E-5 to manual and the lens to 50mm and closest focus without the Ex fitted.
Then move the camera backwards and forwards until you have focus and note the distance between lens and camera.
Now fit the EX and do it again, you will notice the lens is much closer to the subject than before, and the image is much bigger.
A very simplified way to start, but you can progress from there. Enjoy your trip.

Ivor
21st July 2016, 03:36 PM
Hi,

I love my E-5. One of the fantastic features is that you can set up 4 sets of settings for different purposes. Unfortunately you cannot rename these from MySet 1, MySet 2 etc, so you have to remember what that are! (Or keep a note.) I have MySet 1 for landscapes, MySet 2 for Portraits, MySet 3 for long exposures and MySet 4 for birds.

For Landscapes, I set the exposure for each shot manually using ISO 200. I will sometimes then take a test shot and check the preview with the histogram and flashing zebras. I then increase the ISO without changing the shutter/aperture settings. This amplifies the signal coming directly from the sensor so I get more details in the shadows with less noise than increasing the blacks/shadows in Lightroom and it does it without blowing out the highlights. I just then reduce the exposure in Lightroom. This sounds counter-intuitive, but it works.

The level gauge is really useful for landscapes, switch it on near the bottom of menu under the cogs, then sub-menu D. You have to scroll down to find it.

David Busch's book, mentioned earlier, is really good. The one thing it forgets to mention is the One Touch White Balance feature. Check out page 69 of the E-5 Instructor manual.

I hope that helps.

Ivor