PDA

View Full Version : ONE review from phoblographer

Chevvyf1
1st October 2013, 04:12 PM
Another review of the ONE

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/09/28/watch-us-run-the-olympus-omd-em1-under-a-faucet/

Enjoy !

Anne
1st October 2013, 06:38 PM
Hmm.....not sure I would hold 2k worth of brand new camera under a running tap! Either very brave or it wasn't his money buying it :)

But good to see it is fully waterproof.

Zuiko
1st October 2013, 07:17 PM
Hmm.....not sure I would hold 2k worth of brand new camera under a running tap! Either very brave or it wasn't his money buying it :)

But good to see it is fully waterproof.

It's not to be recommended but in an emergency the E-M1 should be OK under a gently running tap IF it is sealed to the same standard as the E-3 and provided it is fitted with a sealed lens, of course.

Several years ago I was photographing up close waves breaking on a groyne on the Yorkshire coast. I was caught off guard by a freak wave and both the camera and I were thoroughly drenched. I knew that salt water was one of the worst things for a camera so I ran to the nearest public convenience and thoroughly rinsed it and the attached 14-54mm lens under a running tap. The camera was fine to carry on but I was too cold and wet, despite wearing a waterproof jacket, and called it a day. It has worked fine ever since.

brian1208
1st October 2013, 08:36 PM
even the EM-5 can take a good dunking in sea water. I was caught by a massive wave breaking over the Cobb at Lyme Regis, just as I tipped the camera over to check my setting on the LCD. Me + camera looked like drowned rats, much to my wife's amusement (she refused to come with me and did warn me - but of course, being a man, I knew better ;) ) I rinsed it off under a tap on the quayside, gave it a good shake, cleaned and dried the lens and carried on shooting.

Its still working fine 6 months later :)

cliff
2nd October 2013, 08:56 PM
Is the new hld7 grip watertight ?

Olybirder
2nd October 2013, 09:04 PM
Is the new hld7 grip watertight ?

It is described as 'dust, splash & freeze-proof'.

http://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/cameras_accessories/pen_om_d_cameras_accessories/pen_om_d_power_supplies/hld_7/index.html

Ron

Melaka
3rd October 2013, 07:37 AM
It appears to have a different sized grip stap from all the earlier models - more expense.

David M
3rd October 2013, 10:40 AM
What's freeze proof supposed to mean?

StephenL
3rd October 2013, 10:43 AM
What's freeze proof supposed to mean?

Not a lot in Canada, but it's supposed to guarantee that the camera will work normally at temperatures down to -10c. Which is more than I will. :rolleyes:

David M
3rd October 2013, 10:46 AM
As you say Stephen, pointless in a Canadian winter.