PDA

View Full Version : It's gorgeous!

Alpha1
28th September 2013, 10:10 AM
I managed to check out the EM1 this morning at LCE Southampton, before rushing off to a golden wedding celebration 20 miles away.

It is absolutely gorgeous! From the button and dial layout to viewfinder it is just superb and with the new 12-40 F2.8 lens on the front it balanced just right in the hand.

The menu layout is identical to the EM5 with just a few extra commands such as HDR.

I really liked the AEL lock button, now easily in reach from the right thumb.

It is only slightly larger than the EM5 with a corresponding slight increase in weight but much of that was probably attributable to the lens, which augers well for use with long zooms for wildlife work.

I tried to snaffle it, but I didn't succeed! The lovely Olympus rep did say that her own EM1 was required in Germany next week, so she would have to let this one go, which upset her more than just a bit.

So, at the moment, the EM1 is still rarer than a hens tooth! :eek:

I did learn that delivery is still expected mid-October and this should satisfy the pre-orders via Olympus Premier dealers, so fingers crossed. ;)

timd1230
28th September 2013, 10:48 AM
I liked the fact all the buttoms were a little larger

brian1208
28th September 2013, 11:12 AM
thanks both, I am shooting m'cycle club racing at Thruxton on 12th October and am desperately hoping I may have the EM-1 by then.

Nails are getting chewed in frustration waiting for it ;)

David M
28th September 2013, 12:45 PM
Apparently it's already shipping in Canada. Stef (West Arm Rider) on 4/3 User got his yesterday.

Chevvyf1
28th September 2013, 02:43 PM
thanks both, I am shooting m'cycle club racing at Thruxton on 12th October and am desperately hoping I may have the EM-1 by then.

Nails are getting chewed in frustration waiting for it ;)

oooh! my local "track" :D I usually go over on a Friday before the Superbikes and F2 cars race weekends ...

Chevvyf1
28th September 2013, 02:44 PM
Apparently it's already shipping in Canada. Stef (West Arm Rider) on 4/3 User got his yesterday.

WoW ! all the New York stores open again tomorrow :D after being closed for nearly two weeks of "The Holidays" ... :rolleyes:

Chevvyf1
28th September 2013, 02:45 PM
I managed to check out the EM1 this morning at LCE Southampton, before rushing off to a golden wedding celebration 20 miles away.

It is absolutely gorgeous! From the button and dial layout to viewfinder it is just superb and with the new 12-40 F2.8 lens on the front it balanced just right in the hand.

The menu layout is identical to the EM5 with just a few extra commands such as HDR.

I really liked the AEL lock button, now easily in reach from the right thumb.

It is only slightly larger than the EM5 with a corresponding slight increase in weight but much of that was probably attributable to the lens, which augers well for use with long zooms for wildlife work.

I tried to snaffle it, but I didn't succeed! The lovely Olympus rep did say that her own EM1 was required in Germany next week, so she would have to let this one go, which upset her more than just a bit.

So, at the moment, the EM1 is still rarer than a hens tooth! :eek:

I did learn that delivery is still expected mid-October and this should satisfy the pre-orders via Olympus Premier dealers, so fingers crossed. ;)

Dave, thanks for this report :)

StephenL
28th September 2013, 02:52 PM
Chevvy, I know you haven't had chance to handle an E-M1, but have you ever fondled an E-M5? If not, the E-M1 is sort of like the M5 on Steroids. Not so much in the size factor, although it is slightly larger, enough to feel roomier, but in the WOW! factor. It's got more direct controls than you can shake a Canon at, and the viewfinder just sucks you in!

Who did you order from in the end?

Chevvyf1
28th September 2013, 03:38 PM
Chevvy, I know you haven't had chance to handle an E-M1, but have you ever fondled an E-M5? If not, the E-M1 is sort of like the M5 on Steroids. Not so much in the size factor, although it is slightly larger, enough to feel roomier, but in the WOW! factor. It's got more direct controls than you can shake a Canon at, and the viewfinder just sucks you in!

Who did you order from in the end?

oooh! la! la! Stephen, that must be some body ... not felt a body like that since ... 19 ? ? :cool:

will pm you