PDA

View Full Version : Request EM 1 updates?

jamsa
27th September 2013, 12:35 PM
My brother and I both have been using EM5's and both are getting the EM1. However things I might like to see as possible additions to firmware/hardware would be
mains powered grip unit to allow for long time lapse projects
Firmware to include a Neutral Density software option
simple remote control hand unit for those that don't have a smart phone

any more?

Ian
27th September 2013, 12:43 PM
My brother and I both have been using EM5's and both are getting the EM1. However things I might like to see as possible additions to firmware/hardware would be

any more?

The HLD-7 grip already has a 9V DC external power port :)

Not 100% sure what you mean by the ND filter - the E-M1 does have 1/8000th and 'Low' (ISO 100) extended ISO setting.

Who doesn't have a smartphone these days?

Ian

Olybirder
27th September 2013, 12:45 PM
My brother and I both have been using EM5's and both are getting the EM1. However things I might like to see as possible additions to firmware/hardware would be [LIST]
I don't know if I have misunderstood you but I think there is a mains adapter available for the HLD-7 grip. It costs about £100 though. :eek:

Ron

Ian
27th September 2013, 12:52 PM
I don't know if I have misunderstood you but I thik there is a mains adapter available for the HLD-7 grip. It costs about 100 though. :eek:

Ron

The HLD-7 grip's 9V DC port doesn't look particularly standard but I would assume a cheaper alternative to the 'official' power supply would be possible.

Ian

Pierre L
27th September 2013, 01:01 PM

Ian
I don't have a smart phone :-)

jamsa
27th September 2013, 01:02 PM
Olympic have on some compacts an option to recreate ND effects by Increasing exposure time with a smaller aperture. Think the xz1 does it.... Be nice in place of having to carry filters....

bilbo
27th September 2013, 01:19 PM

IanI bet my BB won't work the E-M1. :)

Chevvyf1
27th September 2013, 01:22 PM

Nor me Pierre :) my 8 year old Motorola Razor makes and takes calls just fine :D

Olybirder
27th September 2013, 01:32 PM
I don't have a smart phone either - just a little 7 Samsung effort. Somehow, I don't think that will work. SWMBO has an iPhone, though, so I can commandeer that if necessary. :)

Ron

David Morison
27th September 2013, 02:16 PM
I have a wireless shutter control that I bought for my E30. The connector looks identical to the E- M5 one (the E5 was different) but I haven't yet tried it. I'm assuming that the E-M1 will have the same socket, as far as I remember it cost me about 20.

David

Otto
27th September 2013, 02:32 PM
The Olympus AC-3 costs £99.99 at SRS (http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/7501/Olympus-AC-3-AC-Adapter.html). The only difference between it and a standard £15-ish 9v adapter appears to be the proprietary connector. I find it really outrageous that manufacturers can get away with this sort of rip-off, and it's not only Olympus - my Panasonic "smart" TV will only work with the dedicated USB Wi-Fi adapter that costs over £60 yet is pretty much identical to generic ones that cost a tiny fraction of that price. If the TV doesn't see the specific bit of information that tells it it's a genuine Panasonic adapter, it won't recognise it.

I can understand manufacturers wanting to protect their products (and customers!) from possible damage by making the accessories specific to those products, but why do they feel the need to charge such a huge premium over standard parts?

crimbo
27th September 2013, 04:34 PM

neither do I

PeterBirder
27th September 2013, 06:02 PM
I don't have a smart phone either - just a little 7 Samsung effort.
Ron

My 7 Samsung (actually 6.30 because SWMBO gets a 10% staff discount) makes and receives calls beautifully. I'm not smart enough to use a smartphone. My short term memory is so bad now I can't remember all the sequences to make one do anything useful.:rolleyes:

jamsa
27th September 2013, 06:14 PM
The supply of Earth's elements used in producing touch screens is finite so at some stage touch screen smart phones wont be around either!!

Ian
27th September 2013, 06:24 PM
The supply of Earth's elements used in producing touch screens is finite so at some stage touch screen smart phones wont be around either!!

Recycle! :)

Ian

The Saint
27th September 2013, 06:32 PM
Sounds like the value of my old iPod touch may be on the way up. As this runs iOS it should be able to control the E-M1 as good as any smartphone!

Simon

Phill D
27th September 2013, 09:13 PM
Hey my daughter has an old ipod touch she doesn't use anymore. Sounds like she's going to misplace it soon ;)

raichea
27th September 2013, 11:22 PM
The Olympus AC-3 costs 99.99 at SRS (http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/7501/Olympus-AC-3-AC-Adapter.html). The only difference between it and a standard 15-ish 9v adapter appears to be the proprietary connector. I find it really outrageous that manufacturers can get away with this sort of rip-off, and it's not only Olympus - my Panasonic "smart" TV will only work with the dedicated USB Wi-Fi adapter that costs over 60 yet is pretty much identical to generic ones that cost a tiny fraction of that price. If the TV doesn't see the specific bit of information that tells it it's a genuine Panasonic adapter, it won't recognise it.

I can understand manufacturers wanting to protect their products (and customers!) from possible damage by making the accessories specific to those products, but why do they feel the need to charge such a huge premium over standard parts?

The HLD-7 grip's 9V DC port doesn't look particularly standard but I would assume a cheaper alternative to the 'official' power supply would be possible.

Ian
I agree...the Oly power supply is too expensive. I've been unable to find any alternative or information to enable a self-build.

Ross the fiddler
28th September 2013, 04:33 AM
I agree...the Oly power supply is too expensive. I've been unable to find any alternative or information to enable a self-build.

The connector will probably be impossible to obtain unless an after-market supplier had sufficient demand to make one & that is not very likely.

Chevvyf1
28th September 2013, 06:55 AM
Hey my daughter has an old ipod touch she doesn't use anymore. Sounds like she's going to misplace it soon ;)

Phill, it is quite wonderful when the child grows up and out of toys and gifts these redundant toys back to the parent ... better still when they start TREATING US OLDIES :D

Jetset95
28th September 2013, 07:36 AM

any more?

Not sure why you'd want a pro body like the E-M1 to have a built in ND filter like the X100's of this world, Zach Arias may think the Fuji means that DSLR's are dead for him, but I bet he still modifys the image from his medium format camera...

art frames
28th September 2013, 09:15 AM
Sounds like the value of my old iPod touch may be on the way up. As this runs iOS it should be able to control the E-M1 as good as any smartphone!

Simon

I'd like to be wrong but I think the touch will run the app and function inside an established wifi network but will not be able to set up a wifi hotspot and act as the router itself.

I have a similar issue with my ipad. Apple don't put the control into the device unless it has a 3G capability (I have the wifi version). I had the same degree of frustration with GPS which also only comes in the mobile versions and I see the logic (and the pennies saved by Apple). But GPS is a very simple add in!

I don't have a smartphone and so have begun to look at battery powered routers to set up a wifi hotspot (without internet) in the field and control an EM1 remotely from a hide using my ipad.

I shall be trying it out in the garden first, but if anyone does this already with their camera I would welcome advice. I feel reluctant to get a smartphone on some crazy contract to set up a command and control system. I have setup a domestic wifi network without internet for music before and hope this is similarly straightforward....

Ian
28th September 2013, 10:16 AM
For Apple devices you need iOS 4.3 or later. One of my daughters has an iPod Touch Gen 2 (corrected - O orginally thought it was a Gen 3) and she says she can't install apps at all any more with that. My other daughter has a Gen 4 (although it might be a Gen 3); she's out today but I will try to install the OIS app on that tomorrow.

Ian

StephenL
28th September 2013, 10:25 AM
I'd like to be wrong but I think the touch will run the app and function inside an established wifi network but will not be able to set up a wifi hotspot and act as the router itself.

I have a similar issue with my ipad. Apple don't put the control into the device unless it has a 3G capability (I have the wifi version). I had the same degree of frustration with GPS which also only comes in the mobile versions and I see the logic (and the pennies saved by Apple). But GPS is a very simple add in!

I don't have a smartphone and so have begun to look at battery powered routers to set up a wifi hotspot (without internet) in the field and control an EM1 remotely from a hide using my ipad.

I shall be trying it out in the garden first, but if anyone does this already with their camera I would welcome advice. I feel reluctant to get a smartphone on some crazy contract to set up a command and control system. I have setup a domestic wifi network without internet for music before and hope this is similarly straightforward....
You could always get a cheap Android tablet if the app doesn't work on a wi-fi-only iPad?

Ian
28th September 2013, 10:33 AM
You could always get a cheap Android tablet if the app doesn't work on a wi-fi-only iPad?

The OIS App should work on all iPads. You don't need to set up the hotspot function yourself, it's done entirely by the app.

Ian

Ross the fiddler
28th September 2013, 10:38 AM

Something like a Bauhn from Aldi perhaps?

ian p
28th September 2013, 10:57 AM
If the cheap, non Olympus, power supply works, use the money saved to buy a smartphone.

art frames
28th September 2013, 11:43 AM
The OIS App should work on all iPads. You don't need to set up the hotspot function yourself, it's done entirely by the app.

Ian

Ian - are you saying that the ipad will function and connect with the camera without there being a wifi network already in place? If so then I will be happy to use this tethered mode for many purposes where I shoot (but I am surprised).

I have been working under the assumption I need to have a wifi network available to me to make a connection. That is why I was looking to create a personal hotspot which is a function on a number of smartphones and on some ipads (with 4G) and can be created with a router/base station elsewhere.

I'm happy that the ipad will run the app, it is the connectivity that I am interested in.

Peter

StephenL
28th September 2013, 11:52 AM
The app runs without a wi-fi network already in place. The camera sets up its own peer-to-peer network. Ian and I tried it at my house without it being able to access my wi-fi router.

Ian - are you saying that the ipad will function and connect with the camera without there being a wifi network already in place? If so then I will be happy to use this tethered mode for many purposes where I shoot (but I am surprised).

I have been working under the assumption I need to have a wifi network available to me to make a connection. That is why I was looking to create a personal hotspot which is a function on a number of smartphones and on some ipads (with 4G) and can be created with a router/base station elsewhere.

I'm happy that the ipad will run the app, it is the connectivity that I am interested in.

Peter

bilbo
28th September 2013, 12:06 PM
I don't have a smartphone and so have begun to look at battery powered routers to set up a wifi hotspot (without internet) in the field and control an EM1 remotely from a hide using my ipad.You don't need a router/hotspot. In effect the camera is the hotspot with its own SSID. You connect your iPad to the camera's SSID.

art frames
28th September 2013, 12:19 PM
The app runs without a wi-fi network already in place. The camera sets up its own peer-to-peer network. Ian and I tried it at my house without it being able to access my wi-fi router.

That is fantastic. It has added to my amazement at what it can do. :)

I am surprised more people haven't tested the function out in reviews. For people who like hands-free tripod operation this is a very exciting possibility.

Thanks to both for the quick and definite answer.

Ian
28th September 2013, 12:40 PM

Peter

Yes that's right - no use of an existing WLAN and router is used - it's a point/point (peer to peer) connection, so it would work in the middle of a desert, for example :)

Ian

PS The camera rather than the iPad becomes the hotspot; the camera broadcasts and SSID and you connect to that SSID using your iPad or similar iOS or Android device.

sapper
28th September 2013, 03:17 PM
Wots a smartphone?

OM USer
28th September 2013, 03:50 PM
Wots a smartphone?

A smarter way to improve the bank balance of 'phone companies by offering you features and functions you don't need.

OM USer
28th September 2013, 04:03 PM

I bet my BB won't work the E-M1. :)

I have a 8 year old PDA (Wi-Fi, GPS, USB host) running Windows Mobile 5.0
I also have a 4 year old HTC Touch 2 Smartphone (Wif-Fi, GPS, 3.5G, camera) running Windows Mobile 6.5. I even use the latter as a Wi-Fi hot spot on occassion.

Where are the Olympus Apps for these devices?

Phill D
29th September 2013, 06:54 AM
Phill, it is quite wonderful when the child grows up and out of toys and gifts these redundant toys back to the parent ... better still when they start TREATING US OLDIES :D

Yes that would be brilliant Chevvy. We've not reached the treating stage yet with either of our two, the cash flow is definitely still negative :eek:
Not that I mind though. I can say that as they don't read this forum :D

Chevvyf1
29th September 2013, 08:56 AM
Yes that would be brilliant Chevvy. We've not reached the treating stage yet with either of our two, the cash flow is definitely still negative :eek:
Not that I mind though. I can say that as they don't read this forum :D

? Phill are "they" reading yet ? :D

I got a "petrol powered garden strimmer " last year for my birthday from middle son ... and Eldest gave me "Car/Bike cleaners and a Polisher" and youngest Flowers and a can of motorbike chain lube :D .... the flowers came in handy as photo subjects for cards :) so all were practical :)

Phill D
29th September 2013, 09:20 AM
Reading in theory yes, youngest is 19, but in practise only if it's on a moving screen of some sort!!! You've obviously been better at packing yours off to the big wide world. Ours just seem to keep bouncing back but we will be down to one again soon. I'm really not complaining though just a bit of fun.

Chevvyf1
29th September 2013, 09:26 AM
Reading in theory yes, youngest is 19, but in practise only if it's on a moving screen of some sort!!! You've obviously been better at packing yours off to the big wide world. Ours just seem to keep bouncing back but we will be down to one again soon. I'm really not complaining though just a bit of fun.

Phill, ahh! that mature reading age ... txt spk *chr

I am older than you :rolleyes: and mine are older too :) they leave home and go through "me and more" before they settle down ... and with boys eventually grow up to giving more than they are taking ...

Phill D
29th September 2013, 09:30 AM
Yep life's circle seems pretty universal.

photo_owl
29th September 2013, 09:14 PM
Yes that's right - no use of an existing WLAN and router is used - it's a point/point (peer to peer) connection, so it would work in the middle of a desert, for example :)

Ian

PS The camera rather than the iPad becomes the hotspot; the camera broadcasts and SSID and you connect to that SSID using your iPad or similar iOS or Android device.

this answers the question I asked elsewhere on here a week ago - thanks Ian.