PDA

View Full Version : AF Illuminator

Olybirder
26th September 2013, 08:57 PM
I see the E-M1 has a dedicated AF Illuminator, which makes me very happy, as I never came to terms with the strobing flash on my E-510 and E-30. It was embarrassingly distracting and very ineffective, which was rather annoying when all the compact cameras and phones were taking low light shots which I couldn't.

I assume it will be the same as the E-M5 and the other Pens, so can someone tell me what it is (is it infrared?) and how effective it is?

Ron

Ross the fiddler
27th September 2013, 10:33 AM
I see the E-M1 has a dedicated AF Illuminator, which makes me very happy, as I never came to terms with the strobing flash on my E-510 and E-30. It was embarrassingly distracting and very ineffective, which was rather annoying when all the compact cameras and phones were taking low light shots which I couldn't.

I assume it will be the same as the E-M5 and the other Pens, so can someone tell me what it is (is it infrared?) and how effective it is?

Ron

The E-M5 focus assist LED is a bright red colour & is very effective, so long as it isn't blocked by the lens hood (or larger diameter lens) for up close use. It's a good idea to remember to turn it off for discreet occasions though. The E-M1 would be better positioned on the right with less chance of it being blocked by the hand & also it is further from the lens centre, but that only makes sense since it is likely to have larger diameter lenses attached to it.

*chr

Olybirder
27th September 2013, 10:47 AM
Thanks Ross. That sounds like a considerable improvement over the horrible strobing flash. Another way to justify my purchase. :D

Ron