PDA

View Full Version : Will Cheung "Advanced Photographer magazine"

DerekC
26th September 2013, 07:44 AM
This months magazine has as all I expect will have a first look article about the E-M1. But the most interesting article is Will Cheung own "Exposed" page in which he talks about how he has been using E-M5 along side his Nikon D800. He says the E-M5 is capable of delivering the level of image quality that he gets from the full frame Nikon. It is a very interesting piece from a very experienced photographer who will have handled every camera available.

snaarman
26th September 2013, 08:16 AM
He says the E-M5 is capable of delivering the level of image quality that he gets from the full frame Nikon.

Ooh I say. That won't go down well :)

brian1208
26th September 2013, 08:40 AM
it will come as no surprise to some of us! ;)

I was shooting Owls in a studio some time back, along with lads with the usual top-end mix of Canon 1DX, Nikon 800 etc and the one with the 800 sidled up to me, said something on the lines of "that's a funny looking little thing, what does it do?". I lent it to him for a few shots, he looked at them on my laptop and wandered off muttering "why am I carrying this big lump of a camera about"

Quite made my day :D

benvendetta
26th September 2013, 11:38 AM
A fellow club member who is also a pro studio photographer has been impressing other members with the quality of his EM5 images (his main camera now, superceding a D600 FF). Trouble is, so many members have bought into other systems and therefore would find it expensive to go M43. Photography clubs are still very much dSLR minded i am afraid :(

timd1230
26th September 2013, 12:23 PM
Anyone got the links ?

David Morison
26th September 2013, 12:29 PM
I have recently compared some images of a bird I photographed with the E-M5 against one of the same bird taken at the same time by a friend with a Canon 1D and 500mm lens plus 1.4x. At web resolution I think the E-M5 shot is as good as the Canon. He doesn't print just publishes on the web but has to carry around a mega load of kit and substantial tripod - I can just get my set up out of a large pocket!

David

brian1208
26th September 2013, 12:37 PM
Photography clubs are still very much dSLR minded i am afraid

mine is at the moment but as I keep winning or being in the top 3 of our internal and external competitions (and a few members came to my last exhibition and saw some of my 30"x20" prints) I do seem to be having a lot more conversations about people making the change to m4/3rds :)

Alpha1
26th September 2013, 02:07 PM
My son-in-law uses an EM5 alongside a Nikon D4 and he reckons that he gets sharper results from his EM5! In fact he was making noises about disposing of his Nikon gear altogether but I will believe that when I see it!

My own camera club has a growing number of EM5 users including a past president of the RPS. The Leica Fellowship also has a rising population of EM5's amongst the membership.

All very sensible people and all excellent photographers!:D

Ian
26th September 2013, 02:54 PM
The E-M5 is probably the first Olympus camera for some time that has brought users of other systems over to Olympus in substantial numbers. I have noted quite a few ex-Nikon, Canon and Pentax users here and in my travels who now have an OM-D.

Ian

dko22
26th September 2013, 04:13 PM
to be honest, comparing images from the D700 which I used to own to the E-M5, I struggle to tell the difference from the IQ point of view. There is far more difference in the lens quality or with good RAW processing than between the cameras. DR is virtually the same -however the Nikon is still better is low light.

Anyway, it's good to know that the E-M5 is being taken seriously by professionals and the E-M1 will surely only go on to further enhance Olympus' reputation.

David

Ian
26th September 2013, 04:35 PM
to be honest, comparing images from the D700 which I used to own to the E-M5, I struggle to tell the difference from the IQ point of view. There is far more difference in the lens quality or with good RAW processing than between the cameras. DR is virtually the same -however the Nikon is still better is low light.

Anyway, it's good to know that the E-M5 is being taken seriously by professionals and the E-M1 will surely only go on to further enhance Olympus' reputation.

David

Well, the D700 is getting on a bit :D

Your observations are exactly what I would expect - the D700 will have lower noise and perhaps some extra dynamic range but that might only be visible in extreme situations.

Ian